Aegislash'd

I had a similar idea a little while ago, and I just wanted to make sure that I'm understanding this correctly.

Let's take a Pokémon like Snorlax. The only relevant stats for this are Attack, Defense, Special Attack, and Special Defense. Normally, those stats are (in order) 110, 65, 65, and 110. In this metagame, when it attacks, do its stats switch to 65/110/110/65, or 110/65/110/65? This also applies a little bit to Cloyster, who would get 180/95/45/85 if it's the first, which effectively neuters its ability to use Special Attacks (not that it needs them with 180 Attack lol).

I had a similar idea a little while ago, and I just wanted to make sure that I'm understanding this correctly.

Let's take a Pokémon like Snorlax. The only relevant stats for this are Attack, Defense, Special Attack, and Special Defense. Normally, those stats are (in order) 110, 65, 65, and 110. In this metagame, when it attacks, do its stats switch to 65/110/110/65, or 110/65/110/65? This also applies a little bit to Cloyster, who would get 180/95/45/85 if it's the first, which effectively neuters its ability to use Special Attacks (not that it needs them with 180 Attack lol).
Physical attack switches with physical defense, and special attack switches with special defense. So Snorlax would get 65/110/110/65 when attacking, and Cloyster would get 180/95/45/85. Now that I think about it, give Cloyster Shell Smash and a White Herb and you can sweep quite easily.

Physical attack switches with physical defense, and special attack switches with special defense. So Snorlax would get 65/110/110/65 when attacking, and Cloyster would get 180/95/45/85. Now that I think about it, give Cloyster Shell Smash and a White Herb and you can sweep quite easily.
focus sash is the way to go on a cloyster

Do the stats change on the attack or on the block? Is the Shield Form or the Blade Form "normal"?

If the case is the former, Pokémon like Azelf are screwed, with lower attacking stats in blade and lower defenses in shield.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Regigigas is kind of cool here - Slow Start isn't a big hindrance since it now has 110 SpA when attacking and its Attack got nerfed to 110 when attacking anyways. The only real debuff is speed. Meanwhile, it's one of the few things that's bulk in both forms - 110/110/110 bulk in defense form and good 110/160/80 bulk in attack form. It also gets a protect clone, which helps it stall out Slow Star turns, although this is only notable for improving its speed. The lack of special good special STAB makes it maybe not as cool, but it gets decent coverage in Thunderbolt and Earth Power. Maybe not the best, but definitely an interesting mon.

Safe Shield the enemy, and then Focus Blast them. Or Thunder. Or Hurricane. Or Blizzard. Or be assured Fire Blast will hit.

Lots of Normal types get various moves like this, and in fact after one Safe Shield moves with a base accuracy of 50% have an about 84% chance of hitting. Porygon-Z can therefore Safe Shield and slam you with Zap Cannon, or Wigglytuff with Dynamic Punch. (A fair few Normal types get Dynamic Punch, actually)

The main concern I have myself is that, if all these shield variants punish contact in specific, then the meta will veer away from contact moves and potentially render the entire stat-punishment concept largely irrelevant.

Hey, here's a question: does Smeargle have access to all of these variants or is it just Safe Shield?

For that matter, what happens with dual-types and Pokemon that evolve out of their type? Do they get both of their types? Does Dragalge get Poison, Water, and Dragon Shield variants? Does Tyranitar get the Rock, Ground, and Dark variants? Do all the Eeveelutions get Safe Shield in addition to their element's variation?

So, first things first, there's no reason to call the forms "Blade" and "Shield" if they aren't going to work like Aegislash; the more offensive spread needs to be the Blade and the more defensive spread needs Shield. Otherwise, this meta just fails at its purpose.

Second, since all that changes for Smeargle with different shields is what status debuffs it would get to throw around, so I don't see a problem with it. Give him all the types. All of them.

Last off, are there any special contact moves? Because if there aren't any good special contact moves (like, if something with Focus Blast-level popularity isn't contact), then we've got yet another special-focused metagame on our hands.

here are some flavor suggestions:

-psychic type's shield move should be called "psycho block", only activate against special moves, and disable the move that activates it instead of lowering stats
-poison type's shield should be called "gunk shield" and badly poison the opponent, rather than lowering stats
-electric type's shield move should have a 30% chance to paralyze the opponent
-fire type's shield move should have a 10% chance to burn
-ice type's shield move should be called "haze shield" and reset the opponent's stat changes rather than lower stats

Last off, are there any special contact moves? Because if there aren't any good special contact moves (like, if something with Focus Blast-level popularity isn't contact), then we've got yet another special-focused metagame on our hands.
Wring Out, Final Gambit (Sort of irrelevant though), Draining Kiss, Infestation, Grass Knot, Petal Dance, and Trump Card. They're all bad moves though.

Shuckle returns with a vengeance. The ultimate TR with almost maxed offenses, and fastest thing in TR with a base 5 speed shared only by munchlax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)