Which Defog user/Phazer should I use?

• Empoleon

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Latias

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Keep Mandibuzz

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
I specifically made this team to work my way around the current metagame's biggest threats (Aegislash, Talonflame, Rotom-W, Greninja, dem blobs, etc). I may have some unorthodox approaches when it comes to countering them, but they have a proved useful in the past.

Team Preview:

Thundurus-I: Fast Lead
Mandibuzz: Defog Support
Charizard-X: Physical Powerhouse
Rotom-W: Bulky Special Attacker
Kyurem-B: Scarfed Mixed Attacker
Meloetta: Special Sweeper

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Dragon Claw
When Kyurem-B goes mixed, it gives it ample coverage and proceeds to wreck with whatever it wants. Choice Scarf gives it the surprise factor as it can outspeed a large portion of the tier (not to mention I can switch in on a predicted Trick from Rotom-W). Dragon Claw is usually my go-to choice for neutral coverage but I often find myself turning to my other choices for a super-effective hit. I also invested in SAtk instead of Atk to make sure I make the most of my special attacks.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
Here we have a very generic Rotom-W, being the great tank that it always was. I use Rotom mainly to weaken physical attacker, counter Talonflame, and to switch out of potential counters with Volt Switch. I have Pain Split on it when I need to recover HP as its natural bulk and low HP stat helps me use it effectively. My strategy with Rotom-W is to cripple any physical attackers with a burn and try switching out to the appropriate counters.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Whirlwind
- Roost
I like Mandibuzz. It makes a very reliable mixed wall, phazes out setup sweepers, with Whirlwind, and clears entry hazards for me (which is crucial for X-zard's longevity and success) I chose to invest in special defense as I figured it would be attacked more with special attacks by those expecting it to be physically defensive. This allows it to almost all take super-effective hits and still be able to get any of its designated jobs done.
Now here's my problem. In many situations, I have been left with Mandibuzz as my last pokemon and it has no offensive presence whatsoever. I may switch it for Empoleon or Latias as they both have defog, both are defensive, and both can phase with Roar. Thoughts?

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
X-Zard is insanely powerful after one Dragon Dance boost and can decimate entire teams with its STAB+EQ. The Jolly nature allows it to outrun the plethora of base 100 Spd pokemon. With the addition of Fairy types, I was forced to forgo Outrage for Dragon Claw, which is decently powerful too. Flare Blitz is its most powerful move, though with great power comes great recoil, and thus, X-zard never lasts long if it spams this. Luckily, I have Earthquake as a powerful coverage move to help yo help take out potential counters (Rock types that is.) Best part: he looks badass.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
Thundurus is tied for the fastest Taunt user in the game, and thanks to Prankster, I use it to shut down common Stealth Rock/Spikes leads like Ferrothorn. My strategy works like this: after shutting down the lead, I use thunder wave to cripple whatever Pokemon it switches out to. Had it been a more offensive lead, then they would've been crippled as well. It is also my best Greninja counter as it mitigates its greatest asset (meaning its speed). The one thing that causes trouble is any magic bounce user, but all I have to do is some prediction as to who will be my opponent's lead and take them out with another pokemon.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
One word to describe this set it: TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Meloetta being uncommon actually gives it an advantage here as people tend to forget about its Normal typing. Without Shadow Sneak being used against me, I can now outspeed it and use Shadow Ball while gleefully watching from my computer screen yelling "DIE! DIE! DIE!" Plus, its bulky on the special side so I can use Psyshock against them as their defense is usually lower. Dazzling Gleam is by coverage of choice as it take out its most common weakness and any Fighting type not weak to Psyshock. Now here comes the trolling aspect. When I weaken a foe after having one of my pokemon KO'd, I switch in to Meloetta and take it out with Charge Beam. Why? Serene Grace gives me a guaranteed boost to my SAtk. And thus begins the sweep.

Feel free to leave any praise or criticism.

Last edited:

Attack Order

Hi, nice team you have there! However, I would suggest a few things...

First, use 252Def+ and 252HP Rotom-Wash. This allows it to take Talonflame and Mega Pinsir much better!

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

Also, I love how you use Meloetta! However, sure charge beam gives you a 100% spA increase, but it sadly, can miss. Maybe utilizing Calm mind would be better as it makes Meloetta bulkier and a harder hitter at the same time! I would invest in speed EVs as meloetta can then sweep, if Ninjask is gone.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest/Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

Overall, nice team! Good luck. :)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Nice team myusernamesucks. I would suggest this for Mega Charizard X

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
- Brick Break / Earthquake

The EVs is so that you will gain a little less Stealth Rock damage if you're Charizard is forced to switch into them and your defogger is out of commission. An HP value that falls on an odd number will use less HP when taking entry hazards, toxic, etc. Also if recoil has been an issue Fire Punch can be a replacement to allow it more longevity. Granted it won't hit as hard but as said if it's been an issue, consider it an option. I suggested Brick Break over Earthquake since it's generally more viable for your team and paired with Fire allows some good neutral coverage. Brick Break will OHKO things like Tyranitar without the need for a Dragon Dance boost, a boost that would be needed to OHKO with Earthquake.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Also I would keep Mandibuzz but replace Knock off with Foul Play. It helps to deal with things such as mons that use swords dance, dragon dance, or really anything that is physically strong and doesn't resist dark.

First, use 252Def+ and 252HP Rotom-Wash. This allows it to take Talonflame and Mega Pinsir much better!
I've been thinking about changing my EV spread for a while now. This will help!

Also, I love how you use Meloetta! However, sure charge beam gives you a 100% spA increase, but it sadly, can miss. Maybe utilizing Calm mind would be better as it makes Meloetta bulkier and a harder hitter at the same time! I would invest in speed EVs as meloetta can then sweep, if Ninjask is gone.
I'm a little wary about using Calm Mind as there are faster physical attackers (Bug and Dark) that can outspeed Meloetta and KO it before it gets the chance to set up.

I'll try out Charizard's new move set, see how it works. And I'll also need more suggestions on my support Pokemon.

AM

LCPL Champion
For Mandibuzz 248 hp (to bring the HP to an odd number) so Stealth Rock does a little less damage considering your Mandibuzz is your defogger and will be the one clearing those out. Those extra EVs can be put into Speed or Defense. Latias is one of your suggested replacement but I personally wouldn't as then you're susceptible to an Outrage or sweep by Dragonite with 3 mons weak to dragon. Empoleon is a good special wall but it's usefulness as a Defogger in most cases is limited where as Mandibuzz on your team can at least check the things I mentioned earlier. If you pick anything for a defogger on your team go Mandibuzz or Empoleon.

Last edited:

Attack Order

I've been thinking about changing my EV spread for a while now. This will help!

I'm a little wary about using Calm Mind as there are faster physical attackers (Bug and Dark) that can outspeed Meloetta and KO it before it gets the chance to set up.

I'll try out Charizard's new move set, see how it works. And I'll also need more suggestions on my support Pokemon.
You can try the Relic Mixed set! It takes advantage of Relic song-- Meloetta can then become a Normal/Fighting type after Relic Song is used. Then it would resist Bug and Dark moves and then can retaliate with Close Combat or use Relic song again to force switches and become Aria Forme again. Maybe try this set and see how it works!

Meloetta @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 Speed / 252 SAtk / 64 HP
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Relic Song
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball / Psyshock / Ice Punch

So I decided to keep Mandibuzz and switch to Foul Play.I'm still on the fence about Meloetta-P but it might just work. Yeah, I need more convincing.

Attack Order

So I decided to keep Mandibuzz and switch to Foul Play.I'm still on the fence about Meloetta-P but it might just work. Yeah, I need more convincing.
Well, you should try it! If it doesn't work for you, just switch back to your old set.

Out of curiosity why are you running timid rotom? Based on the ev spread I see no reason why you shouldn't be running calm. Unless there's something you're desperately trying to outspeed with rotom. And I agree that either mandibuzz or rotom should be changed to a physically defensive varient. Other than that good team.

Knock Off--> Foul Play
Sp. Def Rotom--> Def
Not sure if Rotom should be Calm or Bold.
I decided to keep Meloetta the way it was with everything except now I run Calm Mind. I still ned to use it more often to see how effective it is, but its so-so for me. And I kept the EV spread because my team needed a little more bulk. It can survive Greninja's Dark Pulse with ease and retaliate with Dazzling Gleam. It also helps it survive a moderately strong Sucker Punch.

Attack Order

Use a Bold Nature on Rotom-W. If you want more bulk on a pokemon, use Chansey or something, it can wish pass! Having speed investment on Meloetta would be helpful, because what's the point of getting hit and surviving it and retaliating back when you can outspeed certain threats and hit first?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)