African Sun

This is my 5th gen ou sunny day team. I have worked very long on this thread mostly because i accidentally hit back twice while typing. Well here is the reason i built this team. I am in the smogon fronteir and have lost two and only won one. I built this to try and make a comeback. I need all the suggestions i can get to wiin this.

Ninetales (M) @ Air Baloon
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 SAtk / 160 Speed/ 92 Hp
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Willow wisp
Role: Ninetales is my lead who may not be original but is entirely needed. Timid nature with the evs help with max power and speed. Focus Sash is so i dont die so i can bring back weather if i need. Hypnosis is to put other leads asleep so they cant set up entry hazards. Fire Blast is main STAB also boosted by sunny day and can kill any abamasnow. Energy Ball is for bulky water, hippowdown, and politoed. Willo wisp is to burn and halve attack mostly.Easily revenges excadrill because it removes sand.

Donphan@ Leftovers
Ability:Sturdy
evs:252Hp/252Atk
Adamant Nature
-Ice Shard
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Rapid Spin
Role: I need his rapid spin support for volcarona. He is a physical wall and a great excadrill counter. The evs make him very bulky and very strong. Ice shard is for priority because his awful speed. Stealth rock is for entry hazard support. Earthquake is STAB that can take down steel pokemon like my teams enemy excadrill. With leftovers he can heal which donphan happens to have a problem with. With sturdy he can be very hard to kill. I replaced cloyster with him and i am glad i made the change because cloyster was pretty useless. My team has a rock weakness that donphan can cover with earthquake.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: poison heal
| Impish | EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spe
| Swords Dance | Earthquake | Ice Fange | Taunt
Role: Gliscor is a bulky physical attacker and kind of a wall. I always see him used and never used one. someone reccomended it for this team so i am trying him over infernape. It seems pretty promising but i have been wondering if i should teach him roost. The evs make him bulky and a little bit quick. Probably just fast enough to taunt some threats. Sword Dance is to boost his attack. Earthquake is his main STAB that kills steel rock and fire types. Ice fang is for dragons and the genies. Taunt is to cripple walls. With toxic orb and poison heal he is capable of healing a considerable amount every turn. He makes a great excadrill counter which my team needed.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
Role: This guy is a pure out wall. He is also a replacement for cresselia. I have always liked this guy and now i realize how bulky he is. With eviolite, the evs, and recover he is very hard to kill. His ability Trace can be very helpful in various situations. Thunder wave is for paralysis which is very useful. Ice beam takes out dragon types and geneis. Thunderbolt is for bulky water types so he doesnt lose a wall fight with one of them. Recover heals him because that is needed for any good wall to survive.

move 1: Quiver Dance
move 2: Bug Buzz
move 3: Fiery Dance
move 4: Hidden Power Ground
nature: Timid
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Role: Vocarona is my main special sweeper on my team. The nature and the evs make him one offensive betterfly. He is my replacement for charizard which was reccomended to me. Quiver dance is obvious because it raises three very important stats for him to sweep and survive. Bug buzz is a secondary STAB used on things that resist fiery dance. Fiery dance is my main STAB because it has a fifthty percent chance of raising my special attack by one stage. Life orb gives him more power. Hp ground helps him with his crippling 4 times weakness. I dont bring him out until Donphan spins away all hazards.

Sawsbuck-Win (Sawsbuck-Winter) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 150 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Return
- Swords Dance
Role: He is my favorite Sunny day sweeper. After one sword dance he has ridiculuous speed and attack. If he gets one in he is almost impossible to stop. The evs make him bulky enough to set up SD but powerful and fast enough to sweep. Life orb adds to his power. Horn leech is main STAB that heals him. Return is his secondary STAB that i use for things that resist horn leech. Jump kick murders steels tyranitars and other rock or dark pokemon.

Use Will-o-wisp on Ninetales over Quick Attack. WoW will help you stop common Tyranitar switch ins to Ninetales. Besides I see almost no reason to give it Quick Attack, as it is insanely weak on Ninetales.

Explosion doesn't decreases the opponent's Def by half anymore this gen. Meaning it's half as power now. Use Rock Blast on Cloyster instead to harm other bulky water type Pokemon and those that resist Ice like Volcarona.

You do have 4 Pokemon with a weakness to Rock, just letting you know.
Yea, I would recommend using a better spinner that can resist that. Perhaps try Donphan over Cloyster. Here's the set:

Donphan (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Next, you still have nothing to come in on Latios, Thundurus, and other really power special attacking threats. While Cresselia gives Tyranitar easily chances to come in and put on Sandstorm. Sandstorm also weakens Morning Sun to a 25% recovery. I suggest using a better special wall like Porygon2. Here's the set:

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Try it out, good luck.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey

Cool team, but there are some glaring problems.

Ninetales
Your running Timid nature (which lowers attack) and Quick attack? I would change that to Will-O-Wisp. WoW let's you cripple pyshical attackers, making up for Ninetales weaker deffensive side. A noteable use of WoW is burning Tyranitar so he can't Pursuit trap you.

Ninetales only needs 160 Speed EVsto outspeed Excadrill out of sand. I would dump the rest in SpD/ HP.

Cloyster
Cloyster isn't really doing much for your team especially with that set. I recommend Hitmontop in his place. | Hitmontop @ Leftovers | 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk | Intimadate | Rapid Spin | Foresight | Sucker Punch | Close Combat | Hitmontop would be great for your team as he can scare off Tyranitar.

Foresight let's you spin on ghost

Cresselia
Nothing really wrong here. I'd just like to recommend Espeon in her place. Espeon can do all the things your Cress does, but with the addition of a status/hazard bouncer. It comes at the cost of some bulk though.

A wish passer would also be great for you team, so another option over Cress is Latias | Latias @ Leftovers | Timid | EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpD | Wish | Protect | Roar | Dragon Pulse | Latias can help againt rain. Roar Phazes away pokemon like Scizor or tyranitar trying to Pursuit trap you.

Charizard
Charizard is really outclassed by Volcarona at being a sun sweeper with a dicussting SR weakness.| Volcarona @ Life Orb | Timid | Flame Body | EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Spe | Quiver Dance | Fiery Dance | Bug Buzz | Morning Sun |

You could always go for a more offensive set though.

Your also terribly weak to Excadrill and sand in general. So I recommend Gliscor over Infernape or Charizard. | Gliscor @ Toxic Orb | Impish | EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spe | Swords Dance | Earthquake | Ice Fange | Taunt |

From what I can see, you have nothing to take on Sandstorm or Rain once your Ninetales has been taken out, which it will always be taken out with ease if you run that ridiculous set. Try using Air Balloon instead of sash, and remove Quick Attack for something less... Bad? Will-O-Wisp could be placed on the set if you want to try double status.

Remove Cloyster from the team, use Starmie instead, it checks Thundurus and can still spin. I suggest running a set with Thunderbolt/Rapid Spin/Ice Beam/Recover, as long as you're running Drought.

I really can't tell you how bad I think this team is, because that's against the rules most likely. So I'll just tell you it's good and move on.

i gonna try donphan over cloyster porygon 2 over cresselia gliscor over infernape
vocarona over charizard i gonna do the other two changes later

Big water weakness, and from what I can tell you don't have a good way to corner Scarf Politoed. I suggest using Slowbro over Gliscor, Flamethrower/Fire Blast do a hefty amount of damage in the sun while providing an excellent physical wall, and it isn't hurt at all by the rain if there ever becomes some, plus it checks Frustration Excadrill if you lose Ninetales.

Big water weakness, and from what I can tell you don't have a good way to corner Scarf Politoed. I suggest using Slowbro over Gliscor, Flamethrower/Fire Blast do a hefty amount of damage in the sun while providing an excellent physical wall, and it isn't hurt at all by the rain if there ever becomes some, plus it checks Frustration Excadrill if you lose Ninetales.
Slowbro still doesn't help much against rain teams with it's terrible spdef. You can't even use Scald/Surf well because the Sun decreases water moves by 50%. Better just go with Venusaur over Gliscor to be able to switch in on water and fighting as well as benefiting from the Sun. The Sun will also boost HP Fire's power. Here's the set:

Venusaur @ Black Sludge -- Chlorophyll
Nature: Modest - EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball

Slowbro still doesn't help much against rain teams with it's terrible spdef. You can't even use Scald/Surf well because the Sun decreases water moves by 50%. Better just go with Venusaur over Gliscor to be able to switch in on water and fighting as well as benefiting from the Sun. The Sun will also boost HP Fire's power. Here's the set:

Venusaur @ Black Sludge -- Chlorophyll
Nature: Modest - EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball
I don't see him playing Ninetales well enough to take out sand teams, and that's the main reason I suggested Slowbro. It just happens to be able to take a few water attacks on the way, while also checking things in sand with Scald. Running Flamethrower would give it a decent move to use in the sun even without STAB, or Psychic could be used to 2HKO Conkeldurr without investment. I just see having Slowbro as a pretty good check to sand/somewhat to rain, plus Slowbro won't have as many issues if Donphan cannot spin due to Regeneration.

Hi there, nice team.
On Ninetales, though, I don't think air balloon is necessary, maybe run leftovers for survivability. Also, on sawsbuck, nature power would definitely be better than jump kick, as it provides almost the same type coverage with higher accuracy. It also lets you hit most fire types super effectively. You could also try running assurance over ice shard on donphan, as it lets you destroy gengars trying to spin block and hit jellicent harder.

Hi there, nice team.
On Ninetales, though, I don't think air balloon is necessary, maybe run leftovers for survivability. Also, on sawsbuck, nature power would definitely be better than jump kick, as it provides almost the same type coverage with higher accuracy. It also lets you hit most fire types super effectively. You could also try running assurance over ice shard on donphan, as it lets you destroy gengars trying to spin block and hit jellicent harder.
It doesn't hit Jellicent harder at all, EQ does more damage than Assurance can >_>;. Not having Jump Kick means that he's completely walled by Skarmory and Bronzong, also.
Also - Air Balloon allows it to safely switch into Excadrill to be able to KO, whilst having Leftovers would leave you high and dry for any of its attacks.

In its current state do you guys think i would have a chance at defeating the remaining 11 brains. I know not a large chance but possibly at least beat a few.

here new export for pokemon online if you wanna test it.
Ninetales (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Drought
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SAtk / 160 Spd
- Hypnosis
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt

Volcarona (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Sawsbuck-Win (Sawsbuck-Winter) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Return
- Swords Dance

Just a suggestion which has worked for me in the past when using Volcarona in Sun or just in general, I recommend using a more bulky EV Spread, Perhaps 252 Hp 252 Def, as you could sponge some attacks from physical attackers and perhaps being able to set up more :)

On Volcarona, I understand that HP ground is really important for killing Heatran, but Morning Sun is almost mandatory on sun. If Heatran doesnt have roar, you can just quiver dance on it a bunch of times and morning sun. You will win that battle unless you get critted, especially if heatran is weakened beforehand, and with Stealth Rock, that isnt that hard to do. So I would recommend taking out HP Ground for Morning Sun; you can keep life orb if you want just for the extra power.

since Ninetails has drought, wouldn't it make more sense to give it solarbeam instead of energy ball?
No, it wouldn't. Solarbeam cannot be used if the opponent has a living weather inducer of their own, since if they switch into it you'll be lucky to live long enough to even land that rather lame 60 Power attack. Politoed and Tyranitar are both pretty heavily punished for switching into an Energy Ball, though.

No, it wouldn't. Solarbeam cannot be used if the opponent has a living weather inducer of their own, since if they switch into it you'll be lucky to live long enough to even land that rather lame 60 Power attack. Politoed and Tyranitar are both pretty heavily punished for switching into an Energy Ball, though.
True, I hadnt thought of that. I'm new to competitive Pkmn so I'm still learning the metagame. Plus I don't use weather often so its a factor I need to start taking into consideration when team building.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)