Project After Action Report v2

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Original thread hosted by Spohky. This version approved by Finchinator

Same banner because Gary liked it​

Purpose of this Thread
One of the most effective skills for anyone to have is the ability to learn from their mistakes. One of the most effective ways to do so is to grab a replay of their opponent crushing them in a spectacular manner and seeing why it happened. This thread's purpose is to grab replays such as these and showcase them, in the hopes of gathering critique from others. We're also going to take a look at some replays either from major tournaments or from us and we'll go over those and analyze them.

Submitting Replays for Analysis
This is the place where people can take a look at how you play and critique you. However, to ensure maximum quality, there are some submission guidelines that should be abided by:

Some requirements:
  • You must include an importable of the team(s) used in the submission. (Use the "hide" tags to conserve space, you construct it with [hide]blablabla[/hide])
  • You must explain in 1-2 sentences CLEARLY what you think you need help with. Basically, you must justify why you're submitting your replays. Saying vaguely "I want to improve my decision making" or "I think my team is bad" isn't helping reviewers with your case. Asking questions such as "I couldn't stop the enemy Greninja-Ash from killing one of my allies on turn 10. How would it be possible for me to better control my enemy's Greninja?" is more conducive.
  • The submitted replay can't have anything stupid on it. There's little to improve on if the replay consists of hax (Jirachi flinching, etc.) or a team that can't possibly be expected to win (i.e. using a NU team against an OU team)
Some suggestions:
  1. If possible, include 2-3 replays instead of just 1. That way, criticizers can get a better idea of how your team operates.
  2. Try not to use this for simple publicity's sake.
Providing Feedback for others:
  • Be respectful to each other. We're here to help each other and insulting one another or starting fights with each other is counterproductive
  • Provide reasoning to allow the user who submitted the replay to better understand why the suggested play was better instead of just saying something like: "You should've gone Heatran here."
Final notes:
With all this said, I encourage you to put up replays and see what went wrong and what could have gone better. Everyone here's to improve, and helping each other out is one way to go about it. This thread won't be strict in terms of moderation, but try to stay on topic and avoid turning this into the viability rankings.

Last edited:
Let's get this started off! - GMars, previous thread.
Seeing as TPP finally posted the big 1000 posts RMT, I thought now would be an excellent time to post

Replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-730669452

Importable:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Power Whip

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 104 HP / 184 Def / 24 SpA / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

I'd also like to improve my planning - I feel I need to do a better job planning how to the game will end and to preserve my wincons. The two main reasons I lost was the 50-50 I lost with the Heatran when against the MMaw, but also sacking Lando and Pex were blatantly stupid plays, especially considering that the Magearna was more than likely Fightinium Z without Thunderbolt. There was clearly nothing stopping Mawile from getting a kill, especially on turn 18, but I also feel as if it could've gotten another free kill on turn 15, but I obviously lucked out and got the right prediction. Obviously letting Mimikyu set up the TR on turn 10 was inevitable, but I also feel that staying in with clef was the biggest misplay of the game. What could I have done in order to prevent Mawile from getting a free switch in? How exactly can I improve my game planning ability? And most importantly, how can I identify when to make the correct prediction? Thanks!

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion
i'm not sure how i feel about the purpose of this thread (it seems to overlap a lot w/ b101's whole idea) but i really do enjoy the whole idea of breaking down a game to note mistakes. i do this all the time with my own games so i can learn how to play sequences and matchups as optimally as possible because i still make too many mistakes when i play. ftr watching tour replays and seeing how people play certain sequences and matchups really helped me in that regard, so maybe it'll help you too.

i decided that the best way to come at this would just be to provide my thoughts as i watch the replay, so i'll just be pausing on what i think are some key turns in the game and i'll write out what i'm thinking. there obviously might be some stuff that i overlook so don't expect this to be a flawless review, but hopefully this helps you a bit in breaking down the game.

preview
your matchup in this game seems pretty manageable; non-choice lele (probably not going to be choice on a tr team) is a rly tough pokemon for ur team to deal with, but it seems like he's z on magearna which means the lele can't blow up ur ferro/tran w/ a z-focus. so with those 2 combined w/ scarf landorus and ashgren you should be able to check it.
straight away i'm noting that your win condition seems to be heatran + scarf landorus w/ support from wish clefable. as long as you don't throw in any of ur key guys or play too recklessly you should be able to deal with most of the stuff he can throw at you.

turn 1 - lead landorus
your opp is unlikely to lead with:
  • mimikyu - it gives up stealth rock/hazards right at the beginning of the game, and doesn't garner any immediate momentum
  • mawile - better utilised as a breaker once trick room is set, isn't immediately threatening and will potentially give hazards to tran/ferro
  • magearna - also gives t1 hazards to any 3 of ur potential setters
landorus leads well vs the other 3 pokemon
  • marowak - intimidate buffers clef and gives you free stealthrock on turn 2 vs everything except him hard switching lele (which is free chip/momentum on the biggest threat to ur team).
  • cresselia - similar case to marowak, it enables you to get hazards early on. if he clicks trick room then you get them up, and still have plenty of ways to deal with his main breakers (double steel for lele/gear/mimikyu/mawile)
  • tapu lele - your team is really weak to this pokemon in general, the best you can do is try and chip it and then check it depending on the set. turn 1 uturn into something like ferrothorn, or just hard eq, is probably your best play here
turn 2 - don't sack toxapex
toxapex is really key to you being able to keep all the pressure off of the rest of your defensive backbone (checking gear/mawile/mimikyu), plus you will definitely need to keep your sacks since trickroom focuses on applying pressure, so there are times you're going to need to relieve that pressure by taking a sack and resetting for the next turn. if you're predicting he will focus blast again (which i don't think he had to), then just stay in with your landorus and earthquake. you have two routes that i think you could take. the more passive route is just to go ferrothorn, blast is 70% accurate, is a hard prediction, and won't even ohko even if everything works out. plus u have wish support with clefable if you really find it necessary. however just hard earthquaking seems pretty fine too. no attack is going to ohko you, and getting chip on the biggest threat to your team (revenge kill range for something like greninja) would be pretty key, and u can always wish up your lando later since psyshock is only doing ~55%. if he goes hard cresselia on the earthquake then you're going to get hazards up and your lando will still be healthy.

turn 5 - do not chip your heatran
again, you should've just earthquaked here. the only pokemon that switches in on earthquake is going to let you get hazards up, however, since you did click u-turn i'll unpack the plays you can make from that point. the first think you should know is that you absolutely cannot afford to let your heatran take the chip. heatran is going to be your only way to deal with mawile consistently. any damage at all is going to put it in range of +2 sucker (or a roll on knock off). your ferrothorn's hp is nowhere near as valuable and you can even recheck w/ lando if you want to cover both the marowak double and the potential focusblast/hpfire on the following turn.

turn 8 - taunting the cresselia
taunt seems like an odd play here, most cresselia are mental herb, and you'd probably prefer the wish/hazards from clefable anyway.

turn 11 - nice chip
moonblast doesn't do a whole lot for you here, and so doubling to landorus-t seems pretty good since it covers mawile coming in. if it's hyper cutter then you have to make a double switch to heatran, but that should be pretty fine since he has to playrough to ohko the landorus, and even if he does make an aggressive knock off play it would still be a roll for the next one, and you also have the potential to buffer with lando again if you need it. if its intimidate (which it was) then gg u just get a free eq, or more hazards if he goes to cress.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
This thread has a lot of potential, especially for newer players, so in order to try & get it going, I'm gonna analyze a couple of SM games that happened for SmogTour poffs (I don't have any current replays to post, sadly):

ABR vs. FLCL

Team Preview:
ABR brings a solid BO build with a common defensive backbone of Toxapex + Landorus, whereas FLCL brings an interesting Zard offense team. Right off the bat, I'd give the matchup advantage to ABR. FLCL's Magearna is predictably AV, otherwise he'd have zero switch-ins to Ash-Greninja and opposing SG Magearna. Zard-X has the potential to put in more work than Zard-Y since ABR has a Tyranitar, Heatran, AND Toxapex, but either Zard looks pretty expendable. Honestly, this game just seems really hard for FLCL to win unless 1) he can weaken Toxapex and Tangrowth to allow Ash-Greninja to win, 2) he can remove ABR's Lando and weaken Tangrowth enough to where a possible scarf Lando could clean with EQ, or 3) he removes both Toxapex and Heatran to allow Clef to win with late game CM (if he even is CM).

Turn 1: Scarf Lando is revealed because Intimidate went before Electric Terrain. ABR interestingly enough stayed in, probably expecting the U-turn since he had two Ground- resists in the back, and didn't want to lose momentum right away as both switch-ins could be pressured by other Pokemon on FLCL's team. Definitely not a play I would've made, but it worked out.

Turn 6: ABR finds an opportunity to bring Heatran in on Clefable. Heatran is a massive nuisance to FLCL's team - he has two Fire- resists, one of them being perhaps his biggest wincon (Ash-Gren), and the other being a 4x rocks weak Zard. He's forced to sacrifice Zard here and goes down a Pokemon in just 6 turns.

Turn 9: Another very important turn. FLCL does well in turns 7 and 8 to pivot expecting the switch. ABR continued to play aggressively and, instead of switching out his Toxapex (the only solid answer to Ash-Greninja now that Tangrowth revealed Rocky Helmet), he stayed in and went for Scald. I don't blame FLCL for predicting the switch here (I would've done the same), as HP Ice does a good chunk to both Lando and Tangrowth. Again, I definitely wouldn't have risked the primary answer to opposing Ash-Greninja, especially because with ABR's defensive backbone he has the upper hand in the rest of the battle if he makes solid switches, but it ended up working out for ABR. This in turn means that FLCL's hopes of sweeping late game with EQ are now impossible.

Turns 10-13: ABR finds another opportunity to bring Heatran in vs Clefable, and once again, it's able to pick up a kill since FLCL can't afford to let Greninja die.

Turn 19: Small note, but I think it's very important that newer players understand how to close out battles so I wanted to point this turn out.
With FLCL's Torn-T dead and Greninja being poisoned, ABR should prioritize keeping his Toxapex healthy in the long run to handle both Greninja and Clefable, since those are the only two ways that FLCL can still win. ABR could've kept rocks up to keep chipping down FLCL's team, but he had no need to at this point; all he had to do was maintain his team as healthy as possible. The key here is to not get impatient when you're already up two Pokemon.

Turn 21: Once again, Heatran comes in for free, but I think it's interesting that ABR decided to go for SR instead of Magma Storm. He might've been preserving it later for Clefable / an extremely slim chance of SG Magearna, but at this point removing Greninja would've been an easier path to victory (although he also might've thought FLCL would let Lando die and attempt to stall Magma Storm out, as hard as that would've been).

Turn 24: FLCL reveals Healing Wish Clefable, which is really cool. Since ABR no longer needs Heatran (it gives Gren an opportunity to transform), it was a good play to just let it die and bring Lando safely in versus an EQ locked Lando.

Turn 27: Time to figure out whether Magearna was AV or SG, and surely enough, it was AV. If it was SG + BoltBeam + Z Fight (worst case scenario for ABR), I think ABR still had it in the bag, as he would simply spam Haze, go Lando, and spam EQ. Whenever FLCL's Lando switches in, ABR has too many things that can eat a U-turn and do considerable damage to Magearna (EQ from TTar and Thunderbolt from Koko), but it would've been intersting to see how it would've played out.

Conclusion:
The matchup here favored ABR, and although I think he played a bit too aggressively around FLCL's Lando, he was able to get a couple key turns correctly and secure the win. I don't really think there was anything FLCL could've done differently besides going for EQ on Turn 1 and Turn 9, but I don't blame him for making the plays that he did. He also had a pretty cool team, so props to him.

We Three Kings vs. Energy

Team Preview:
From W3K's side, Heatran has a pretty good matchup if it carries Toxic. If he is able to weaken and/or remove Gastrodon and Heatran, Laurel lacks a reliable switch-in for Heatran, as nothing wants to take a Magma Storm. However, Heatran is also the primary answer to Reuniclus if it finds a free switch-in. Laurel, imo, has a better matchup here than W3K. Weavile can spam its dual STAB pretty freely and cripple anything that comes in. Mega Scizor has a phenomenal time if Laurel manages to weaken Heatran, as it can potentially setup on Clefable and Landorus. Lastly, Reuniclus has a very good shot at winning late game, as it forces Greninja and Heatran to attack it, easing predictions for Laurel whenever it comes in.

Turns 1-10: Nothing too unexpected here, but it's important to note that Gastrodon is forcing either Amoonguss or Clefable to come in every time. This eases predictions for Laurel and gives him a chance to double out accordingly.

Turn 15: This is one of the most important turns of the match. Looking at W3K's team, this is obviously Mega Latios, and everyone knows that they pack EQ by now. I think doubling into Heatran here predicting either Reuniclus or Scizor was the better play, as Heatran covers both. Gastrodon was also an option, but W3K doesn't lose much from that, as he has Clefable and Amoonguss in the back. Scizor doesn't do a ton for Laurel here, as Latios is probably packing HP Fire. Instead, Reuniclus coming in means that it gets a free CM off, forces Heatran to come in, and can severely weaken it with Focus Blast (which is what happens). With Heatran gone, Reuniclus has a clear shot at an end game sweep.

Turns 15-30: Not really much happened here, since Laurel really only has to play solid until Reuniclus can get an opportunity to setup.

Turn 31: Pretty interesting turn since both switched out, but I'm not 100% on what each were expecting. I think that W3K went Greninja expecting Heatran to come out, allowing him to U-turn on the Heatran switch-out to gain some momentum. Maybe Laurel went Weavile thinking that W3K would go Mega Latios to try and pressure Heatran?

Turn 32-33: The Hydro Pump was extremely unfortunate for W3K, as not only do Greninja and Clefable get weakened, but he misses out on removing Weavile, which is still a massive threat for his team. I'm pretty surprised that Laurel risked Greninja being scarfed, as I don't think W3K had revealed the item yet, and Laurel still had the chance to remove hazards and utilize Weavile later on.

Turn 34: Reuniclus gets to come in versus Clefable, and after it heals back to full, it's over. Not much W3K can do besides hope for hax here, which doesn't end up happening.

Conclusion:
Overall, I think that W3K played pretty well given the difficult matchup he had to begin with. In order to beat Reuniclus, he had to play very aggressively and not give it a single turn to come in freely. After one slip up, W3K was forced to sacrifice Heatran and stood little chance to beat Reuniclus afterwards. Laurel also played very well with my only critique being risking Weavile later on, as it had the potential to do a ton of damage to W3K's remaining team. Good replay that shows two common metagame trends in Gastrodon and Reuniclus.

Hi, to revive this thread, this is a game from my second round of OST, and honestly looking back at it I made some pretty terrible plays, such as sacking my Magnezone so early and and basically unable to threaten Ferrothorn, and staying Bulu in on Torn, since I sacked my only Flying resist. I'd like to improve my planning by team preview, which should improve by more playing, but I'd like to know what I could have done better here.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-424485
Serperior (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Glare
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Alakazam-Mega (M) @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 168 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 28 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fly

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 240 HP / 220 Def / 16 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Hi, to revive this thread, this is a game from my second round of OST, and honestly looking back at it I made some pretty terrible plays, such as sacking my Magnezone so early and and basically unable to threaten Ferrothorn, and staying Bulu in on Torn, since I sacked my only Flying resist. I'd like to improve my planning by team preview, which should improve by more playing, but I'd like to know what I could have done better here.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-424485
Serperior (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Glare
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Alakazam-Mega (M) @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 168 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 28 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fly

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 240 HP / 220 Def / 16 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
Hello, this is a project I always found to be pretty cool and I’m glad it’s getting some attention again. I don’t think there was anything wrong with the team you used even though the Lele matchup can be rather tricky seeing as zone and spd bulu both are shaky checks and neither of your faster mons is able to knock it out from full. Anyways, I think you played pretty well in your game. You were able to position yourself in a comfortable situation by playing around kyube and lele in the first couple turns which were the biggest threats to your team and sniped what was probably a scarf lando pivot with zam early on. From there you make a play I dont agree with tho, the hard zone on lele was risky and bulu wasnt doing much vs kyube and torn so you couldve pivoted it in to scout what it locked itself into protect for some hp and go from there. While the crit is unfortunate there was always the possibility of a focus on the switch so I wouldnt have made thay play. Zone was very nice for ferro and lele, the only 2 mons that can stop zam from going in now that scarf landos gone. Bulus more important now that zone is dead which is why your next plays are also not ideal. I think you couldve easily pulled a double after getting bulu in to scare out the lele, torn was pretty riskless from your opponent and leeching acomplished nothing on the ferro switch. SD into Leech is nice but it gives your opponent a spike and you shouldve either SD’d on the ferro or doubled on the torn/kyube. Bulu gets crit by torn but even if it didnt I think this trade benefitted your opponent more than it benefitted you and the game hasnt come to a point where you have to sack something to torn, I think a healthy bulu couldve been more helpful when dealing with lele. You played the rest fine and your opponent managed to put himself in a losing position by letting you chip ferro and lele but you end up missing focus blast so I guess it doesnt really matter.
You got pretty unlucky in general and the matchup wasn’t the best but I think the skill cap difference between you and your opponent was pretty noticeable and you couldve made better plays to win that game earlier on. That’s all I think is worth commenting on, nice game and better luck in the future

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)