Resource AG Viability Rankings [Pre-Home]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
Welcome to the official SV AG Viability Rankings thread. In this thread, we as a community will be ranking every single usable Pokemon into "tiers." You're encouraged to post your thoughts and opinions on the various Pokemon that are usable in AG and what tier they should fall under. Posts in this thread will be taken into account when deciding rank changes.

The general idea of the topic is to rank each AG Pokemon under "rankings" that go in descending order. Since this is a tier list for the entire metagame, everything is lumped together. There won't be any segregation between offense, defense, and supportive presences in the metagame within this thread. For example, Iron Treads can be ranked in the A+ tier as a supportive presence, Flutter Mane can be ranked in the A+ tier as an offensive presence, and Ting-Lu can be ranked in the A+ tier as a defensive presence.

Finally, there will be a council of experienced players who will discuss and vote on the ranking of Pokemon. Depending on how the metagame is developing, we could update the thread every couple of weeks or every month+. Please note that your posts still very much matter and will be factored into what we discuss and the discussions themselves. This thread is nothing without the posters and every informed opinion that is shared is considered a valuable contribution, so do not hesitate to post if you know the metagame well and understand the forum rules. The council will consist of the following users:
SV AG Ranking Tier List

In alphabetical order

S Rank

S

:koraidon: Koraidon
:miraidon: Miraidon

S-

:chien-pao: Chien-Pao
:great-tusk: Great Tusk
:iron-bundle: Iron Bundle

A Rank

A+

:gothitelle: Gothitelle

A

:chi-yu: Chi-Yu
:clodsire: Clodsire
:flutter-mane: Flutter Mane
:ting-lu: Ting-Lu
:toxapex: Toxapex
:walking-wake: Walking Wake

A-

:annihilape: Annihilape
:corviknight: Corviknight
:gholdengo: Gholdengo
:iron-treads: Iron Treads
:pelipper: Pelipper
:skeledirge: Skeledirge

B Rank

B+

:breloom: Breloom
:espathra: Espathra
:garganacl: Garganacl
:grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl
:hatterene: Hatterene
:kingambit: Kingambit

B

:alomomola: Alomomola
:baxcalibur: Baxcalibur
:cloyster: Cloyster
:ditto: Ditto
:dragonite: Dragonite
:dugtrio: Dugtrio
:froslass: Froslass
:glimmora: Glimmora
:iron-hands: Iron Hands
:iron-moth: Iron Moth
:palafin-hero: Palafin
:roaring-moon: Roaring Moon

B-

:amoonguss: Amoonguss
:blissey: Blissey
:cyclizar: Cyclizar
:dondozo: Dondozo
:hippowdon: Hippowdon
:iron-leaves: Iron Leaves
:iron-valiant: Iron Valiant
:scream-tail: Scream Tail
:slither-wing: Slither Wing
:tauros-paldea-aqua: Tauros-Aqua

C Rank

C

:garchomp: Garchomp
:hawlucha: Hawlucha
:houndstone: Houndstone
:masquerain: Masquerain
:maushold-four: Maushold
:tauros-paldea-blaze: Tauros-Blaze

D Rank

D

:dachsbun: Dachsbun
:floatzel: Floatzel
:scovillain: Scovillain

Rules
  • Post intelligently. Posts like "I think Pokemon X should be in this tier" will be deleted. Expand on your opinion with actual analysis showing understanding of the metagame and perhaps bringing a unique perspective to the conversation.
  • Absolutely no flaming, personal attacks, or general idiocy will be tolerated.
  • Usage statistics may be used to support an argument or a claim, but don't base your ENTIRE argument around them. There needs to be more substance than just this. For example, you can't just say "Pokemon X shouldn't be this tier because they aren't used that often!"
  • When nominating a Pokemon to move from one rank to another, do not merely list its obvious qualities such as stats, typing, movepool, etc. If you think a Pokemon deserves to rise or drop, explain what has changed in the meta to cause such Pokemon to get better or worse.
  • Unrelated discussion and unproductive one liners that do not greatly contribute to discussion will be deleted.
  • Being AG or Ubers by tiering alone does not guarantee a ranking.
  • If you are nominating a Pokemon to be ranked (meaning it was previously unranked), then you need to provide replays of it being used in the metagame and you also should go out of your way to be as thorough as possible in explaining why it has a niche in the metagame.
  • Failure to follow these rules after warning(s) will result in an infraction.
Format credits go to Finchinator

I think that Gothitelle 199D2BDF-591C-4BF6-81BA-3C7250D1ED5E.png should be placed somewhere at like, C or C-/+ at best. It still continues to serve the same role that it used too, but I think the meta has it WAY in over its head. its too slow, and does not fit the criteria to be a stall mon and trapper imo. theres just way too many things holding it back. its poor stats, the fact that electric terrain is nearly omnipresent, and the absolute abundance of extremely powerful wallbreakers that will have little issue blowing right through it.

252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gothitelle: 344-408 (100 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Hadron Engine Miraidon Electro Drift vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gothitelle in Electric Terrain: 268-316 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(there’s probably more but its nearly midnight at the time of writing this)

its no longer midnight its time to explain why goth is bad once again
it has literally nothing going for it anymore. it no longer has access to the moves confide or cosmic power, and thus has to rely on the physical only charm, which will do nothing to impede the progress of special attackers. it can't even safely trap blissey anymore due to its only boosting move being calm mind, which blissey now commonly runs with shadow ball, which over the course of the long game, can overwhelm gothitelle with enough shadow balls or lucky drops. its bulk is extremely off of par for the course of being a trapper, and now that a ton of things run switching moves now, its barely even worth running a gothitelle in a slot to remove a check. miraidon can just volt switch, koraidon can just u-turn, so can corviknight, the niche palafin can flip turn and taunt it first. overall, i think gothitelle has fallen way out of favor. maybe this will change when home is released and we can transfer home gothitelles with confide and cosmic power, but for now i think it should sit at a much lower tier. also not to mention that the reduced pp of rest made it more difficult for gothitelle to efficiently keep itself healthy more times than it needs to.

Thanks for reading my post abt this, goodbye gothy :)

Last edited:

Rose

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Nominating Scream Tail to B+
It is a splashable check to several top threats such as Koraidon, Great Tusk, Iron Bundle and even Chien Pao to an extent, as well as providing Wish support for Pokemon like Ting-Lu. It can choose to set up Stealth Rock or permanently cripple enemies with Thunder Wave.

Scream Tail @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold / Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Encore
- Dazzling Gleam / Play Rough
- Wish
- Protect

Scream Tail @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold / Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

64 Spe investment allows Scream Tail to outpace Adamant Great Tusk. Coincidentally, 64 SpD investment allows Scream Tail to take two Choice Specs Iron Bundle Hydro Pumps from full health after Leftovers recovery when paired with Protect.

252 Atk Orichalcum Pulse Koraidon Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Protosynthesis Scream Tail in Sun: 158-187 (36.4 - 43%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Scream Tail: 166-196 (38.2 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Bundle Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Scream Tail: 219-258 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (as mentioned before, it is guaranteed to live when you consider the Leftovers recovery from using Protect)
252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Scream Tail: 135-159 (31.1 - 36.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Scream Tail: 267-315 (61.5 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Nominating Scream Tail to B+
It is a splashable check to several top threats such as Koraidon, Great Tusk, Iron Bundle and even Chien Pao to an extent, as well as providing Wish support for Pokemon like Ting-Lu. It can choose to set up Stealth Rock or permanently cripple enemies with Thunder Wave.

Scream Tail @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold / Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Encore
- Wish
- Protect

Scream Tail @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold / Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

64 Spe investment allows Scream Tail to outpace Adamant Great Tusk. Coincidentally, 64 SpD investment allows Scream Tail to take two Choice Specs Iron Bundle Hydro Pumps from full health after Leftovers recovery when paired with Protect.

252 Atk Orichalcum Pulse Koraidon Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Protosynthesis Scream Tail in Sun: 158-187 (36.4 - 43%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Scream Tail: 166-196 (38.2 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Bundle Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Scream Tail: 219-258 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (as mentioned before, it is guaranteed to live when you consider the Leftovers recovery from using Protect)
252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Scream Tail: 135-159 (31.1 - 36.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Scream Tail: 267-315 (61.5 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Can’t you just set up on scream tail with a lot of sub cm mons since it can’t do any damage? You can Tera your koraidon/miraidon and get a sub up for free on it and then just go brr

Im not sure if i've played long enough to say this but I nominate Kingambit for A- rank on the grounds that in the late game it can be a valuable sweeper and while other pokemon can fulfil the same role Kingambit gets a priority move in sucker punch, a powerful stab in Kowtow cleave, a passive power boost in supreme overlord and a solid attack stat to back all of this up, it even gets solid HP and defense stats. It can even OHKO flutter mane if 2 allies have fainted and if it has proper setup it can punch serious holes in teams with rock and spike support. As for why I believe it has increased in viability while I believe Kingambit would get this increase in viability now is because of what I now think is the normal team structure has leaned more towards HO leaving the checks that it usually faces to be less and less common, while there may be better wallbreakers and definitely better walls Kingambit can fill in some of these roles in a team when there is only one slot. All in all I think its a very solid late game sweeper and without (Most of) the checks it once faced it mainly in Donzo and Pex, it's biggest threats are Korai, Flutter, Tusk, and secret sword Chien Pao, these checks keep it from along with its 4x weakness means it can't be much better than A- or B+.

Calcs
Offensive
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 2 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flutter Mane: 250-295 (99.6 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 3 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Miraidon: 336-396 (98.5 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Kingambit Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Scream Tail: 224-266 (51.6 - 61.2%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Im not sure if i've played long enough to say this but I nominate Kingambit for A- rank on the grounds that in the late game it can be a valuable sweeper and while other pokemon can fulfil the same role Kingambit gets a priority move in sucker punch, a powerful stab in Kowtow cleave, a passive power boost in supreme overlord and a solid attack stat to back all of this up, it even gets solid HP and defense stats. It can even OHKO flutter mane if 2 allies have fainted and if it has proper setup it can punch serious holes in teams with rock and spike support. As for why I believe it has increased in viability while I believe Kingambit would get this increase in viability now is because of what I now think is the normal team structure has leaned more towards HO leaving the checks that it usually faces to be less and less common, while there may be better wallbreakers and definitely better walls Kingambit can fill in some of these roles in a team when there is only one slot. All in all I think its a very solid late game sweeper and without (Most of) the checks it once faced it mainly in Donzo and Pex, it's biggest threats are Korai, Flutter, Tusk, and secret sword Chien Pao, these checks keep it from along with its 4x weakness means it can't be much better than A- or B+.

Calcs
Offensive
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 2 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flutter Mane: 250-295 (99.6 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 3 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Miraidon: 336-396 (98.5 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Kingambit Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Scream Tail: 224-266 (51.6 - 61.2%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
This is coming from someone with literally less than 10 games of SV AG experience with a team thrown together in 5 minutes, so take my criticisms with a grain of salt, but Kingambit seems to lack the tools to succeed at all in the meta besides as maybe a niche lategame sweeper. It loses to top threats Koraidon and Chien-Pao while also failing to break upper tier threats like Ting-Lu, Great Tusk, Skeledirge, etc. It’s just too slow and doesn’t have enough offensive tools. Sucker Punch can also be switched out on and then that forces 50/50s that add a lot of variance to playing with Kingambit. Kingambit is a really cool Pokémon and it’s certainly strong, but like a lot of good OU Pokémon in the history of AG, it doesn’t stack up when it plays with the big boys.

This is coming from someone with literally less than 10 games of SV AG experience with a team thrown together in 5 minutes, so take my criticisms with a grain of salt, but Kingambit seems to lack the tools to succeed at all in the meta besides as maybe a niche lategame sweeper. It loses to top threats Koraidon and Chien-Pao while also failing to break upper tier threats like Ting-Lu, Great Tusk, Skeledirge, etc. It’s just too slow and doesn’t have enough offensive tools. Sucker Punch can also be switched out on and then that forces 50/50s that add a lot of variance to playing with Kingambit. Kingambit is a really cool Pokémon and it’s certainly strong, but like a lot of good OU Pokémon in the history of AG, it doesn’t stack up when it plays with the big boys.
Ok thx for advice

here again

i'd like to nominate dragapult.pngdragapult to like...c tier at best. what does this thing do that something else does better?
its stuck with an awkward typing that leaves it weak to..a lot. ice, fairy, dragon, ghost and dark, which are all relevant attacking types in some for or another. again, what does this thing do? the answer: damn near nothing.
it's literally only blessed with a speed tier that outpaces both the dragons and iron bundle, but thats its only pro. its special attack is extremely short of impressive at base 100. this thing applies no offensive pressure to the things it does outspeed. specs set? STILL has some underwhelming power and cant stack up to the power of other specs users, say miraidon, flutter mane, and iron bundle. dragon dance? have fun using your teams tera on a ghost type tera blast. walled completely by great tusk too. nearly everything in the metagame is capable of taking at least one (or multiple!) hits and retaliating with greater force than dragapult could ever dream of. i haven't seen this thing used to any success at all.

I'd like to nominate Ceruledge from C+ -> B, or B- tier at least. While I don't have a lot of ladder games on singular account, practicing in challenges has led me to believe that Ceruledge deserves to be moved up by 2, or at least 1, tier.

Its access to a relatively wide movepool allows for variations on Ceru sets. Combined with its high base attack, decent speed and decent bulk, it can be used as an consistent wall breaker after sword dancing. Its only walled by (off the top of my head) unaware Dondozo and Toxapex.

Its a more effective way to deal with the increasing useage of mons like Fluttermane, Chi-Yu and Skeledigre. While Mirai and Korai deal with these threats very well, they are walled by mons such as Ting-Lu, ghost tera Garganacl, Clodsire, Grimmsnarl, Scream tail and Gothitelle without the use of terastallization. The ability for Ceruledge to freely sd in front of most fire types without fear of getting ohkoed makes it more of a threat as a sweeper and on teams with Le Fishe and named defensive pivots.

Offensive Wall Breaker:
Ceruledge @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor / Flash Fire
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance / Bulk Up
- Shadow Sneak
- Bitter Blade
- Close Combat

This set is meant to be used as a revenge killer, utilized when the opponent is setting up or has a defensive mon up. Ceruledge benefits from a free sword dance when the opponent is forced to switch, paired with life orb and STAB bitter blade and 120bp close combat only unaware mons like dondozo can effectively wall this pokemon. Being immune to will-o-wisp due to its fire typing allows it to freely set up on wispers and most fire type mons like Chi-yu (when using tera fairy).

Calcs after 1 free SD:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Garganacl: 575-678 (142.3 - 167.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ting-Lu: 598-704 (116.3 - 136.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flutter Mane: 588-694 (234.2 - 276.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chi-Yu: 868-1022 (345.8 - 407.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Corviknight: 616-725 (154 - 181.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Shadow Sneak vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Unaware Skeledirge: 182-218 (44.2 - 53%) -- 21.9% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Unaware Tera Fairy Skeledirge: 204-242 (49.6 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Clodsire: 608-717 (131.3 - 154.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Unaware Clodsire: 305-360 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Clodsire Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ceruledge: 204-242 (70.1 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Fairy Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Grimmsnarl through Reflect: 287-339 (72.8 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - kill with shadow sneak before Grimm can light screen or parting shot.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Fairy Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gothitelle: 425-500 (123.5 - 145.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Scream Tail: 309-367 (71.1 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Scream Tail Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ceruledge: 30-36 (10.3 - 12.3%) -- possible 9HKO

Tera Fairy to resist S tiers:

252 Atk Orichalcum Pulse Koraidon Collision Course vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Fairy Ceruledge: 135-159 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Fairy Ceruledge Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Koraidon: 321-378 (94.1 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO (finished off with sneak)

252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Fairy Ceruledge: 163-192 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Fairy Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Dark Chien-Pao: 491-578 (163.1 - 192%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Fairy Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chien-Pao: 983-1157 (326.5 - 384.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO - 51.8 - 51.8% recovered

Many more calcs but I got too many already, most mons that aren't labelled get ohkoed anyways.

Hyper Offensive Threat:
Ceruledge @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bitter Blade
- Poison Jab / Shadow Sneak / Close Combat
- Destiny Bond / Will-O-Wisp

This set is similar in calcs to the offensive wall breaker however, this set can safely set up in face of any threat with the help of sash - best utilized on physical attackers. This set is best paired with defoggers or rapid spinners such as Great Tusk, Iron Treads or Corviknight.

Overall, I feel like C+ is a bit low for such an powerfully offensive, well typed mon with a pretty good moveset. Its ability that increases its speed by 2 when hit by a physical attack along with its +1 priority stab move shadow allows it to powerful late game sweepers and wall breakers like Chi-Yu, Flutter Mane etc. Its ability to ohko majority of the defensive mons in the tier after just 1 sd and recovery via its signature move allows it to essentially negate life orbs 1/10th dmg per turn. Its complete immunity to fire (when using flash fire) and high spd allows it to freely swords dance on mons, when using fairy tera, like Chi-Yu, or low attack stat defensive mons or setters, which are being more prevalent in the meta game, especially the unwallable Chi-Yu.

This is why I believe Ceruledge should be moved up to B or at least B- x]

Last edited:

Rose

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
This thread is pretty inactive so I thought I would post my questionable personal AG VR and briefly explain why I made the changes from the current one. If you disagree with anything you are probably right so feel free to yell at me.

S Rank
:miraidon:Miraidon

S- Rank
:chien-pao:Chien-Pao
:iron bundle:Iron Bundle
:koraidon:Koraidon

A+ Rank
:chi-yu:Chi-Yu
:great tusk:Great Tusk

A Rank
:corviknight:Corviknight
:iron treads:Iron Treads
:skeledirge:Skeledirge
:ting-lu:Ting-Lu

A- Rank
:clodsire:Clodsire
:flutter mane:Flutter Mane
:gholdengo:Gholdengo
:gothitelle:Gothitelle
:toxapex:Toxapex

B+ Rank
:annihilape:Annihilape
:grimmsnarl:Grimmsnarl
:glimmora:Glimmora
:pelipper:Pelipper

B Rank
:alomomola:Alomomola
:blissey:Blissey
:dondozo:Dondozo
:dugtrio:Dugtrio
:espathra:Espathra
:garganacl:Garganacl
:iron valiant:Iron Valiant
:kingambit:Kingambit
:scream tail:Scream Tail
:walking wake:Walking Wake

B- Rank
:hatterene:Hatterene
:iron hands:Iron Hands
:iron moth:Iron Moth
:masquerain:Masquerain
:palafin-hero:Palafin
:roaring moon:Roaring Moon

C+ Rank
:amoonguss:Amoonguss
:ditto:Ditto
:dragonite:Dragonite
:floatzel:Floatzel
:froslass:Froslass
:hippowdon:Hippowdon
:houndstone:Houndstone

C Rank
:baxcalibur:Baxcalibur
:cyclizar:Cyclizar
:dachsbun:Dachsbun
:dragapult:Dragapult
:garchomp:Garchomp
:scovillain:Scovillain
:slither wing:Slither Wing
:tauros-paldea-aqua:Tauros-Paldea-Aqua

D Rank
:azumarill:Azumarill
:barraskewda:Barraskewda
:breloom:Breloom
:ceruledge:Ceruledge
:cetitan:Cetitan
:cloyster:Cloyster
:florges:Florges
:pawmot:Pawmot
:quaquaval:Quaquaval
:scizor:Scizor
:slowking:Slowking
:tyranitar:Tyranitar
:volcarona:Volcarona

:iron bundle:Iron Bundle from A+ to S-
This evil robot Santa bird is simultaneously one of the most effective wallbreakers and answers to offensive teams, thanks to its perfect coverage in Freeze Dry + Hydro Pump and its near unrivalled base 136 Speed stat. It heavily strains teambuilding due to having very few reliable checks, which can just be pivoted out on with Flip Turn or taken advantage of with Encore anyway.

:chi-yu:Chi-Yu from A to A+
The fish from Hell is a staple of the common Koraidon sun archetype, and for good reason. It hits ridiculously hard thanks to its Beads of Ruin ability, and when Sun is up there are no virtually Pokemon that won't be burnt to a crisp by its Choice Specs Fire-type attacks, including the mighty Blissey. It can also chose to forgo Choice Specs for Choice Scarf, allowing it to act as an effective revenge killer, while still having enough power to force many KOs.

:clodsire:Clodsire from B+ to A-
Clodsire is one of the best checks to Miraidon and lacks some of the shortcomings Ting-Lu has, such as having access to reliable recovery and not losing to Double Dance sets. It is also one of the few checks to Heavy-Duty Boots Iron Bundle thanks to its Water Absorb ability.

:gothitelle:Gothitelle from B+ to A-
Gothitelle can prey on common defensive Pokemon, trapping and removing them after it is brought in via a pivot move or low risk switch, enabling offensive monsters such as Miraidon to effortlessly clean up.

:toxapex:Toxapex from B+ to A-
Toxapex is a staple defensive Pokemon with a multitude of useful resistances that allow it to take on the likes of Koraidon, Chien-Pao and common rain abusers, while also being able to provide Toxic or Toxic Spikes support.

:annihilape:Annihilape from B to B+
Annihilape is able to tear through most bulky teams with Taunt, its high bulk, and its signature move Rage Fist, which ensures that it can beat even the bulkiest Unaware Pokemon. Offensive teams also greatly appreciate its ability to check Iron Bundle, which they would heavily struggle with doing otherwise.

:alomomola:Alomomola from C to B
C Rank is insanely low for Alomomola to be. It can reliably check Pokemon such as Koraidon, Chien-Pao and Great Tusk due to its useful resistances, high bulk, and Regenerator ability. It can also provide valuable Wish support to many Pokemon that lack reliable recovery, such as Great Tusk, Ting-Lu, Iron Treads and Annihilape.

:walking wake:Walking Wake from UR to B
The newly-released Suicune of eons past has already established itself as a solid sun abuser thanks to its Protosynthesis ability and interesting unique move, Hydro Steam.

:hatterene:Hatterene from C to B-
Hatterene is able to dissuade hazard spam via its useful ability Magic Bounce, enabling offensive teammates that are vulnerable to hazards, easing the matchup vs Gholdengo hazard stack for many teams, and not being too passive due to it having access to Calm Mind.

:amoonguss:Amoonguss from C to C+
Specially defensive Amoonguss can utilise Regenerator to reliably switch in on special attackers such as Miraidon, Flutter Mane lacking Psyshock, and Iron Valiant., while being able to spread Poison and Sleep.

:dragonite:Dragonite from C to C+
Dragonite is an effective bulky Dragon Dance sweeper which can also reliably revenge kill offensive Pokemon with Extreme Speed. Since its main check in Skeledirge has somewhat fallen out of favour for Toxapex, I feel like it is just noticeably better than the Pokemon I put in C.

:floatzel:Floatzel from C to C+
Floatzel is able to make great use of Pelipper's rain, doubling its speed via Swift Swim, and allowing its Choice Band Wave Crashes to break even bulky resists.

:tauros-paldea-aqua:Tauros-Paldea-Aqua from UR to C
Tauros is able to check Chien-Pao, Kingambit and rain abusers such as Floatzel due to Intimidate and its useful resistances.

:iron leaves:Iron Leaves from UR to D
Iron Leaves' Grass-type STAB and Electric-type coverage in Wild Charge can at least somewhat annoy common defensive cores.

:chien-pao:Chien-Pao from S to S-
Chien-Pao is really strong, but I don't believe it's quite as metagame defining as Koraidon or Miraidon. Its Choice Band set can also be held back by its susceptibility to Entry Hazards at times.

:koraidon:Koraidon from S to S-
Miraidon is a far more effective wallbreaker than Koraidon, causing Koraidon to be relegated to Choice Scarf revenge killer/lategame cleaner while providing support for its dangerous teammates such as Chi-Yu, Great Tusk and Walking Wake.

:ting-lu:Ting-Lu from A+ to A
Ting-Lu's main purpose is to check Miraidon, but it struggles to beat any long-term as it lacks access to reliable recovery, loses to Choice Specs, Calm Mind and Tera Blast Water sets, or can just be U-turn'd onto safely bring in powerful breakers that can take advantage of it.

:flutter mane:Flutter Mane from A+ to A-
Flutter Mane is good, but overrated. Its Choice Specs attacks are relatively simple to pivot around, its Life Orb sets are somewhat lacking in power as well as being quickly worn down when hazards are up, and its physical bulk leaves much to be desired.

:pelipper:Pelipper from A- to B+
Pelipper is one of the better checks to most Koraidon and Great Tusk, and its Drizzle ability enables Rain teams, but Rain isn't really centralising enough for the bird to be worthy of an A.

:blissey:Blissey from B+ to B
Blissey just comes in and drains all momentum. It allows many free switch-ins due to obvious Soft Boileds, its lack of Toxic or Teleport and the fact that many of the Pokemon it is supposed to check run pivot moves.

:garganacl:Garganacl from A- to B
Salt Cure can be a thorn in many team's sides but Garganacl is not too hard to break and is definitely not centralising enough to be worthy of A- Rank.

:roaring moon:Roaring Moon from B to B-
Roaring Moon is a solid Dragon Dance abuser, but is just noticeably worse than the B Rank Pokemon.

:ditto:Ditto from B to C+
Ditto's role of revenge killer is simply much less valuable as the metagame has shifted away from being quite as offense oriented.

:hippowdon:Hippowdon from B- to C+
There are better Koraidon checks, and setting sand for Houndstone is not very important thanks to the dead dog's poor viability.

:houndstone:Houndstone from B- to C+
Using Houndstone is like playing a 5v6 for most of the battle as Last Respects requires a few Pokemon to have fainted before being anything notable. Its pathetically low base 68 Speed stat also means that is necessitates heavy support in Sand or Sticky Web to even make use of the aforementioned move, and even then it is liable to being outsped by Choice Scarfers or having its Sand removed by Koraidon.

:baxcalibur:Baxcalibur from B to C
Baxcalibur is an interesting pick as a Dragon Dance user, but its multitude of weaknesses, poor speed when unboosted, and susceptibility to common Choice Scarf users hold it back.

:dragapult:Dragapult from B+ to C
Dragapult is fast, but its offenses are somewhat lacking thanks to its average base 100 Special Attack stat and lack of reliable Physical Ghost STAB.

:garchomp:Garchomp from C+ to C
Garchomp is a decent hazard setter on HO but is outclassed by Pokemon such as Glimmora and Froslass.

:azumarill:Azumarill from C to D
Azumarill's typing gives it many useful resistances, but its lack of reliable recovery holds it back from checking Pokemon such as Koraidon and Chien-Pao long-term.

:barraskewda:Barraskewda from B- to D
Barraskewda is a worse rain abuser than Palafin or Floatzel. It really notices the loss of power from having to run Jolly in order to outspeed base 135s outside of rain, in addition to the lack of Wave Crash.

:cetitan:Cetitan from C to D
Cetitan is a very niche pick, requiring heavy team support in snow and hazard removal to enable its Belly Drum antics.

:cloyster:Cloyster from B- to D
After losing Rapid Spin, Cloyster's effectiveness as a Spikes lead as decreased significantly, but its access to Shell Smash making it somewhat offensively threatening allows it to stay on the VR.

:florges:Florges from C to D
Florges can check Miraidon, Flutter Mane and Heavy-Duty Boots Iron Bundle to some extent, but is overwhelmed by the former's Choice Specs and Calm Mind sets, and can be taken advantage of by the latter's Encore.

:pawmot:Pawmot from C to D
Pawmot is a pretty terrible Pokemon with its only redeeming quality being access to Revival Blessing.

:scizor:Scizor from C to D
Scizor can threaten to revenge kill Pokemon such as Chien-Pao and Flutter Mane with its powerful Bullet Punches, but struggles to KO other offensive Pokemon.

:slowking:Slowking from C+ to D
Slowking is an OK Koraidon check with access to the pivot move Chilly Reception and Future Sight.

:volcarona:Volcarona from C to D
Volcarona is a Quiver Dance sweeper that also offers some defensive utility, but struggles to break past Pokemon such as Skeledirge.

:arboliva:Arboliva from D to UR
A very poor Miraidon check which gets smashed by Overheat or Choice Specs Draco Meteor.

:armarouge:Armarouge from D to UR
While Armarouge may be able to tear through many defensive teams, there are better Pokemon such as Gothitelle to do so.

:avalugg:Avalugg from C+ to UR
There are far better physical walls that don't have to rely on Terastallization to escape their terrible defensive typing such as Corviknight and Skeledirge, or bulky Waters in Alomomola, Toxapex and Dondozo.

:ceruledge:Ceruledge from C+ to UR
Ceruledge is a weak breaker which loses to several common defensive staples.

:dudunsparce:Dudunsparce from D to UR
What does Dudunsparce even do?

:magnezone:Magnezone from D to UR
Magnezone traps a total of two Pokemon - Corviknight and Magnezone - and can't even trap the latter without Terastallizing.

:gyarados:Gyarados from C+ to UR
Gyarados is a mediocre Dragon Dance user. I don't see a situation in which you would want to use it over the far superior options such as Roaring Moon or Dragonite.

:slowbro:Slowbro from D to UR
Just use Slowking. It actually has a pivot move.

:toedscruel:Toedscruel from D to UR
There are far superior hazard setters, Rapid Spinners and Toxic users available.

:wo-chien:Wo-Chien from D to UR
Somehow manages to lose to every single prominent offensive Pokemon thanks to its abysmal typing.

Last edited:

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
Lots of developments in Snake, so here are some nominations to sum them up.

:sv/koraidon: to S-
Koraidon is nowhere near Miraidon in terms of reliable wallbreaking, and it's unfair to rank it alongside its Electric counterpart. Koraidon struggles from 4MSS, ideally wanting all of Swords Dance, Fighting STAB, Stomping Tantrum for Skeledirge / Toxapex, Flame Charge, Dragon STAB / Wild Charge for Pelipper / Toxapex, and Flare Blitz / Steel coverage to break Tera Fairy walls. This results in a reality where Koraidon ends up being deadweight during the initial stages of a match, up until its checks have been worn down sufficiently. This is in contrast to Miraidon's lethal Double Dance, LO Tera Dragon / Fairy, and Boots Tera Dragon / Water sets, which indiscriminately murder walls and so-called checks like Ting-Lu and Blissey early-game, while functioning as premier late-game cleaners themselves or in the form of a partnering Choice Scarf Miraidon.

Koraidon does enable a bevy of broken wallbreaking partners that greatly enlarge its effectivity as a late-game cleaner with Choice Scarf and Flame Charge sets; the most obvious examples are of course Chi-Yu and Great Tusk. This is still a very meta-defining interaction, so it shouldn't be placed lower than S-, but again, doesn't necessarily differentiate it from Miraidon, as the latter also gives free switches to some of the most obscene breakers in Iron Bundle, Gothitelle, and Chien-Pao.

:sv/chien-pao: to S-
Same logic, i.e. Chien-Pao is worse than Miraidon. In Chien-Pao's case, this isn't necessarily because it's an outclassed wallbreaker. On the contrary, Chien-Pao is probably the most self-sufficient wallbreaker and late-game cleaner in the metagame right after Miraidon and Iron Bundle. It's simply a lot less durable than Miraidon, which means that it requires a bit more support (entry hazard removal, ideally Knock Off support as well) and is slightly more of a hit-or-miss Pokemon as a result.

:sv/ting-lu: to A
The metagame is gravitating towards Miraidon sets that either beat Ting-Lu outright (Double Dance, CM Tera Dragon / Fairy, Boots Tera Water under Rain), or use it as Chien-Pao / Iron Bundle / Gothitelle fodder (U-turn sets). This means that, more often than not, Ting-Lu ends up being a band-aid check to Miraidon, which severely compromises its otherwise useful utility as an enabler of Gholdengo entry hazard spam and check to some dangerous Pokemon like Espathra and Gholdengo itself. It's definitely a cut below Great Tusk as a result.

:sv/flutter-mane: to A-
Flutter Mane is a fraud that OHKOes nearly nothing and is OHKOed by nearly everything in return. It's a very impractical Pokemon that struggles to distinguish itself in a metagame chock-full of better wallbreakers and Speed control options. Expert Belt 4 Attack sets are effective at keeping most defensive cores on their toes courtesy of Flutter Mane's colourful coverage so A- is fine, but they ultimately fall short compared to wallbreakers like Iron Bundle and Chien-Pao due to requiring meticulous positioning and slight prediction.

:sv/corviknight: to A-
Corviknight is a liability into Gholdengo. Moreover, its main use in checking Flutter Mane and Iron Bundle is much less useful when you realize that Flutter Mane is bad and Iron Bundle beats you with Encore anyway. Corviknight still offers a Ground-immunity / Knock Off absorber in a Great Tusk-infested metagame though, so A- is fine for now.

:sv/iron-bundle: to S-
Iron Bundle is the best form of Speed control right now, while doubling down as the best wallbreaker in the metagame after Miraidon. Progress-making is inevitable with an Iron Bundle on your side, with even hard checks like Blissey being annoyed heavily by Encore rapidly depleting recovery PP. This makes it an entirely unique Pokemon in the context of the metagame, being an elite wallbreaker as well as the top dog in Speed tiers. A broken combination like this should be met with a rise to S-.

:sv/chi-yu::sv/gothitelle: to A+
While wallbreakers aren't in short supply at all, Choice Specs Chi-Yu and Gothitelle are special cases. Chi-Yu is guaranteed to make progress once you get it in, which is easily done with U-turn Koraidon. Gothitelle is guaranteed to make progress once you get it in, which is easily done with U-turn Miraidon / a low-risk double switch. The inevitability of their progress-making is nothing short of remarkable and often a game-winner on the spot. They should be ranked above more situational Pokemon like Skeledirge and Iron Treads.

:sv/clodsire::sv/toxapex: to A-
Clodsire is a premier check to the best Pokemon in the tier (Double Dance Miraidon) and a serviceable check to Boots Iron Bundle, while Toxapex annoys both Koraidon and Chien-Pao. They have enough tools at their disposal to make good progress even in the face of a bad matchup (Toxic, Spikes, Toxic Spikes), which should be enough to push them into staple territory.

Some other Pokemon that should rise are Annihilape, Dugtrio, Iron Valiant, Espathra, Alomomola, and Amoonguss.
Some other Pokemon that should drop are Barraskewda and Dragapult.

Paldean Tauros-Water should be ranked at B- at least as a great check to Chien-Pao and Rain staples, while offering Intimidate support and annoying Miraidon with Earthquake [https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9anythinggoes-674922].

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
OMPL Champion
VR Update #1

Hello, we've gone over the Viability Rankings with AG Snake coming to a close. C-ranks were merged into one big rank. Here are the results:

Rises
Code:
Iron Bundle from A+ to S-
Chi-Yu from A to A+
Pelipper from A- to A
Clodsire from B+ to A
Gothitelle from B+ to A+
Toxapex from B+ to A
Annihilape from B to A-
Dugtrio from B to B+
Espathra from B to B+
Iron Valiant from B to B+
Kingambit from B to B+
Cloyster from B- to B
Hippowdon from B- to B
Iron Hands from B- to B
Iron Moth from B- to B+
Palafin from B- to B+
Froslass from C+ to B-
Alomomola from C to B
Cyclizar from C to B
Dragonite from C to B
Hatterene from C to B
Slither Wing from C to B-
Amoonguss from D to B-
Breloom from D to C
Tyranitar from D to C
Iron Leaves from UR To C
Maushold from UR To C
Sylveon from UR To C
Tauros-Aqua from UR to B-
Tauros-Blaze from UR to D
Walking Wake from UR to A-
Drops
Code:
Chien-Pao from S to S-
Koraidon from S to S-
Flutter Mane from A+ to A-
Ting-Lu from A+ to A
Corviknight from A to A-
Skeledirge from A to A-
Blissey from B+ to B
Dragapult from B+ to C
Ditto from B to B-
Dondozo from B to B-
Scream Tail from B to B-
Barraskewda from B- to D
Houndstone from B- to C
Masquerain from B- to C
Avalugg from C+ to UR
Ceruledge from C+ to C
Garchomp from C+ to C
Gyarados from C+ to UR
Slowking from C+ to UR
Azumarill from C to UR
Cetitan from C to UR
Florges from C to UR
Pawmot from C to D
Scizor from C to D
Arboliva from D to UR
Armarouge from D to UR
Dudunsparce from D to UR
Magnezone from D to UR
Quaquaval from D to UR
Slowbro from D to UR
Toedscruel from D to UR
Wo-Chien from D to UR
PM me / council members in case of any question.

Glory

formerly TaxFraud
is a Pre-Contributor
Honestly I think the that everything is in the right place with one exception.

:sv/walking wake: to A
This thing is far better than anything in A-. Hydro Steam is an absurdly spammable move that 2HKOs a ton of mons. It's only good checks are Water Absorb Clodsire and Toxapex, both of which take major damage from Draco Meteor. Flexibility with how it allocates it EVs to affect what boost it gets from Protosynthesis is another benefit for it, and either way it is capable of tearing through resists with Tera Water. With a speed boost it's a devastating wallbreaker and revenge killer that makes it incredible difficult for offensive teams to handle, and unlike its main competition in Chi-Yu, Walking Wake has genuine defensive utility because it has a good typing and solid bulk, giving more opportunities to hit the field and tear through the opponent's team. As it is an incredible partner for Koraidon, it is easy to fit onto teams, and even pairs well with several other great mons like Miraidon and Great Tusk.
calcs:
244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex in Sun: 140-165 (46 - 54.2%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO
244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Corviknight in Sun: 394-464 (98.5 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Miraidon in Sun: 168-198 (49.2 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 220 HP / 232+ SpD Annihilape in Sun: 300-354 (72.1 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Iron Bundle in Sun: 285-336 (112.6 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey in Sun: 290-342 (44.4 - 52.4%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Walking Wake Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 434-514 (93.7 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 277-327 (81.7 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Beads of Ruin Chi-Yu Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Walking Wake: 313-369 (92.3 - 108.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Iron Bundle Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Water Walking Wake: 258-306 (76.1 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 295-348 (87 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

also :cloyster: to B-/C cuz it's bad

after messing around on ladder with this for a bit I want to make a nomination

:sv/greninja: to c/b-

Greninja (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Shadow Sneak

• Greninja can run a dual spikes suicide lead set that takes advantage of it's relatively high speed and access to taunt to basically guarantee that at least one layer of either spikes or toxic spikes gets set up.
  • Shadow Sneak + Protean allows greninja to block rapid spin without using your tera
  • Tera Ghost allows you to spinblock in a pinch if you had already changed types by using a move other than shadow sneak on the first turn
Now many people will be wondering what does greninja have over its competition for spikes suicide leads and here is a quick list

:glimmora: Although Greninja can't remove hazards, access to taunt and the ability to spinblock gives it a niche over glimmora

:froslass: Although greninja doesn't immediately spinblock it is faster than froslass and has access to toxic spikes

:cloyster: Greninja is able to prevent opponents from setting up and removing hazards with taunt

also as a sidenote

:sv/meowscarada: to c/b-

Meowscarda can run a very similar set to greninja but with shadow claw over shadow sneak, it is one point faster than greninja but I still haven't quite decided which one is better because I feel like shadow sneak gives greninja enough of a niche over meowscarda that I am willing to say that one isn't really significantly better than the other

Glory

formerly TaxFraud
is a Pre-Contributor
thought about it a bit and I wanna make a few noms

:sv/great tusk: to S-
This thing is so consistent and good that it is criminal to have it where it is. Scarf, eject pack, bulk up, and offensive utility are all great sets that make it incredibly volatile to play against, with bulk up in particular being exceptionally good at stealing games off of a single misplay. Gothitelle is better than ever before, and tusk is arguably its best partner, being able to force in mons for goth to trap, enabling scarf or bulk up tusk to sweep once any ground resists are gone. This, as well as the fact that tusk will almost always be of use with knock off or rapid spin always being good utility makes it on par with the other mons in S-

:sv/toxapex: to A+
Pex is just a really good pivot with tons of utility, checking key threats like chien-pao, koraidon, and walking wake. Regenerator gives it a lot of room to pivot into threats like flutter mane, chi-yu, and iron bundle, which is invaluable for a lot of teams. Being a check to both koraidon and chien-pao makes building a lot easier with pex, with toxic and regenerator distinguishing it from other defensive walls like dondozo and alomomola. I believe these traits are enough to put it on the same level as chi-yu and gothitelle.

:sv/froslass: to B+
This is the best lead for hyper offense at the moment, with a fast taunt letting it beat most other leads, and access to thunder wave distinguishing it from faster mons like greninja and meoscarada. Glimmora is as undesirable as ever with toxapex and clodsire being the premier defensive pivots, many teams often having both of them. Cursed body means that you can beat glimmora with average luck, and it spinblocks without needing to tera, both incredibly useful traits for a lead.

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
OMPL Champion
:sv/koraidon: to S

Yeah, my Koraidon hate era is over. Koraidon is about as consistent as Iron Bundle and Chien-Pao, but it's also far more splashable than either. It defines entire team structures and archetypes - this has only become a more pronounced trait with the advent of Walking Wake. The defensive metagame has also shifted into Koraidon's favour. Great Tusk, Pelipper, and Toxapex are being used as the primary checks, whereas hard-checks in Skeledirge and Scream Tail have fallen off. This cuts down on the 4MSS issues Koraidon has been facing up to now; a simple set consisting of SD, Low Kick, Outrage or Wild Charge, and Flame Charge will give you consistent value into an overmajority of matchups. It's clearly the second best Pokemon in the metagame right now.

:sv/miraidon: to S+

I still think Miraidon is leagues better than anything else in the metagame, and I don't think it should share a rank with Koraidon if the latter moves up. Double Dance with trapper support remains as unstoppable as ever. We're also seeing a shift from Tera Fairy to Tera Dragon sets (mostly Choice Specs) to eviscerate the emergence of Clodsire. We're no less than five months into this metagame and we still don't know exactly how we can limit Miraidon in its wallbreaking, a testament to the viability gap between itself and any other wallbreaker. It's no surprise then, that Miraidon clocks in as the most used Pokemon in both ladder and tournament play. I think S+ is a deserved placement.

Only if the above nominations go through should Great Tusk be bumped to S-, but otherwise it would be misleading to rank it next to Koraidon. Walking Wake should definitely rise either way.

Glory

formerly TaxFraud
is a Pre-Contributor
I just wanted to share my personal VR, ranking every mon I believe is worth ranking, as well as my reasons for some of the changes. I'm also going to do my best to individual sort each tier.

The TaxFraud VR

S
:miraidon: Miraidon
:koraidon: Koraidon
S-
:chien-pao: Chien-Pao
:iron-bundle: Iron Bundle
:great-tusk: Great Tusk
A+
:gothitelle: Gothitelle
:walking-wake: Walking Wake
:chi-yu: Chi-Yu
A
:toxapex: Toxapex
:clodsire: Clodsire
:flutter-mane: Flutter Mane
:corviknight: Corviknight
:iron-treads: Iron Treads
:pelipper: Pelipper
A-
:ting-lu: Ting-Lu
:Kingambit: Kingambit
:annihilape: Annihilape
:breloom: The Loom
:skeledirge: Skeledirge
:gholdengo: Gholdengo
B+
:glimmora: Glimmora
:espathra: Espathra
:garganacl: Garganacl
:iron-moth: Iron Moth
:palafin-hero: Palafin
B
:grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl
:alomomola: Alomomola
:baxcalibur: Baxcalibur
:blissey: Blissey
:dugtrio: Dugtrio
:cloyster: Cloyster
:dragonite: Dragonite
:hatterene: Hatterene
:hippowdon: Hippowdon
:iron-hands: Iron Hands
:roaring-moon: Roaring Moon
B-
:amoonguss: Amoonguss
:ditto: Ditto
:dondozo: Dondozo
:Garchomp: Garchomp
:scream-tail: Scream Tail
:slither-wing: Slither Wing
:Tauros-Paldea-Blaze: Tauros-Blaze
:tauros-paldea-aqua: Tauros-Aqua

:koraidon: This mon has really picked up in AGLT, Lum and Taunt sets make Pex an even shakier check than it already was, and Flame Charge has become even more destructive as the meta shifts towards offensive teams that struggle to handle it. I think Mira isn't quite as dominant as it was before, with Clod replacing Ting-Lu to limit double dance and pivot sets, and LO/Specs being abusable with the frequent special drops and chip damage, so it makes sense to place Koraidon in the same rank as it.
:walking wake: This mon is actually dumb, it does massive damage and has serviceable bulk and typing that allow it to get plenty of opportunities every game. Specs Draco just plows through most checks, and a solid speed tier lets it outpace the majority of the metagame. IMO better than Chi-Yu simply because it gets a lot more opportunities, even if it doesn't just delete mons in the same manner as the fish.
:flutter mane: Koraidon getting better means that Flutter is going to be in sun a lot more, and its flexibility makes it difficult to play around without using your tera. AV is good at keeping offensive pressure while checking dangerous threats like Bundle, and an increase in offensive teams means that there are more teams for Flutter to prey on. An immunity to Mach Punch gives Flutter more utility as the Loom is a major issue for a lot of structures.
:corviknight: I agree this mon is ass, but it also does so much and is so versatile that ranking it any lower than this would be a crime.
:kingambit: This mon is really good, it checks a ton of major threats, is a great abuser of tera, is a good wallbreaker and even potential sweeper.
:breloom: The Loom. Insane sweeper and breaker. What more can be said?
:garchomp: This mon 100% has a niche on some HO teams, and it gives a ton of utility in playing around stuff like Flame Charge Kora with Rocky Helmet + Rough Skin. Also pretty much impossible to spin against and it provides a ton of pressure.
:tauros-paldea-blaze: Counters Chien-Pao and Kingambit, and checks Breloom, Gholdengo, and Chi-Yu(sorta), as well as providing utility in the form of Will-O-Wisp and Intimidate. It doesn't check Tusk or Palafin, unlike its Water-type counterpart, but the Breloom matchup and access to Wisp more than make up for this imo.
edit: fixed Kingambit ranking

Last edited:

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
OMPL Champion
We've decided to hold a final vote before the impending Home update that will reshape the metagame. Thank you entrocefalo WrathoftheLeopard Frozoid TaxFraud for helping us out with voting! Here are the results. . .

Code:
RISES

Koraidon from S- to S
Great Tusk from A+ to S-
Flutter Mane from A- to A
Walking Wake from A- to A
Hatterene from B to B+
Breloom from C to B+
Ditto from B- to B
Froslass from B- to B
Iron Leaves from C to B-
Tauros-Blaze from D to C
Hawlucha from UR to C

DROPS

Chi-Yu from A+ to A
Iron Treads from A to A-
Pelipper from A to A-
Garganacl from A- to B+
Glimmora from B+ to B
Dugtrio from B+ to B
Iron Moth from B+ to B
Palafin from B+ to B
Iron Valiant from B+ to B-
Blissey from B to B-
Cyclizar from B to B-
Hippowdon from B to B-
Dachsbun from C to D
Floatzel from C to D
Scovillain from C to D
Ceruledge from C to UR
Dragapult from C to UR
Sylveon from C to UR
Tyranitar from C to UR
Volcarona from C to UR
Barraskewda from D to UR
Pawmot from D to UR
Scizor from D to UR
SLATE
Let me know if there are any questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)