Aipom

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
*smack smack smack smack smack*

[OVERVIEW]

Aipom has the potential to hit 19 Speed, which allows it to outspeed a vast majority of the tier. With access to Skill Link, Aipom can make use of a powerful STAB in Fury Swipes, which has the benefit of breaking through Focus Sashes and Substitutes. Aipom has a very versatile movepool, which, when coupled with its high Speed and decent bulk, allows Aipom to perform well as a wallbreaker and revenge killer. With access to both Taunt and Fake Out, Aipom can be an effective anti-lead, preventing hazards from going up and breaking Sturdy or Focus Sash.

However, all is not peachy for Aipom. In a metagame dominated by Fighting-types, Aipom's pure Normal typing is a large hindrance, granting it no resistances and one incredibly prominent weakness. Aipom's Normal typing is also mediocre offensively because although it does grant STAB on Fury Swipes, it also does not hit anything for super effective damage. Aipom's main STAB attack, Fury Swipes, only has 80 percent accuracy, which can be incredibly disappointing when crucial hits are missed. Having a multi-hit physical attack as its main attack also means that Aipom is easily taken advantage of by users of Flame Body and Iron Barbs.

[SET]
name: Wallbreaker
move 1: Fury Swipes
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Brick Break / Fire Punch
move 4: U-turn / Fake Out
item: Life Orb
ability: Skill Link
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fury Swipes takes advantage of Skill Link and is much stronger than Return thanks to Little Cup damage roll mechanics. For example, Fury Swipes will deal 15 damage to a standard Mienfoo as opposed to the 10 damage Return would deal. Knock Off provides good coverage with Fury Swipes by hitting Ghost-types for super effective damage and weakens Pokemon that hold Eviolite by removing it. Brick Break hits Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon for super effective damage, and is preferred over Fire Punch. Fire Punch comes with the benefit of OHKOing Ferroseed but loses out on hitting Rock-types. U-turn allows Aipom to pivot out of unfavorable switch-ins while still dealing damage and retaining momentum. Alternatively, Fake Out is great for revenge killing, and secures several 2HKOs on Pokemon such as Timburr, Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Porygon after Stealth Rock alongside Fury Swipes.

Set Details
========

The suggested EVs and an Adamant nature maximize Aipom's Attack while maintaining a Speed stat of 18. Alternatively, a Jolly nature gets Aipom to the 19 Speed tier, which is fantastic in Little Cup. This isn't necessary on a wallbreaking set due to the inherent slowness of walls, but it is nice against fast Pokemon such as Gastly. The extra EVs go into Defense to help Aipom take priority attacks such as Timburr's Mach Punch much better. Finally, Life Orb maximizes Aipom's damage output when using Fury Swipes, even outdamaging Choice Band in the same circumstances due to the odd damage rolls that occur at level 5.

Usage Tips
========

Aipom is fairly frail and shouldn't be switched in on any powerful attacks. Additionally, if you can't secure a KO in one or two hits, switch Aipom out so it doesn't have to take a hit. As the set name suggests, Aipom should be used to break though walls such as Spritzee and Porygon. Use Knock Off liberally, as it will aid in breaking through walls and can catch Ghost-types on the switch in. Be sure to only use Fury Swipes on Flame Body Pokemon such as Ponyta in the most dire circumstances; it is almost certain that Aipom will be burned after five hits, putting it out of commission for the rest of the match.

Team Options
========

Ponyta, Larvesta, and Feroseed are all huge threats to Aipom due to their abilities, making Pokemon such as Hidden Power Fire Skrelp and Numel good partners for Aipom. Aipom struggles with Fighting-types, so a teammate that resists Fighting is invaluable. Aipom is extremely hindered by status, so cleric support from the likes of Snubbull is fantastic. Snubbull stands out in particular because it beats all Fighting-type Pokemon, barring Croagunk. Entry hazard setting and removal are both key, as the former helps Aipom wallbreak and the latter preserves Aipom's HP, which will already be going down due to Life Orb recoil. Archen fits this role well with access to both Stealth Rock and Defog, and can also threaten Fighting-types. Some of Aipom's most common checks, such as Tirtouga, are shared by Fletchling, which means it can help weaken Fletchling's checks to open the way for Fletchling to sweep.

[SET]
name: Pivot Lead
move 4: U-turn / Taunt
item: Eviolite
nature: Jolly
evs: 76 HP / 116 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fury Swipes makes use of Skill Link, and it is made even stronger by Aipom's STAB. Knock Off provides great coverage with Fury Swipes and helps Aipom support its teammates by removing the items of opposing Pokemon, most notably Eviolite. Brick Break hits Steel- and Rock-types that would wall Aipom otherwise. Alternatively, Fire Punch allows Aipom to take on Ferroseed, a Pokemon that would only be 2HKOed otherwise. However, it misses out on hitting Rock-types. U-turn allows Aipom to pivot out of its checks, fulfilling its role as a pivot and keeping up momentum. On the other hand, Taunt allows Aipom to effectively stop practically any entry hazard setter.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and and a Jolly nature maximize Aipom's Speed, getting it to the fantastic 19 Speed tier. Aipom doesn't need to run max Attack investment on this set; instead, it hits 15 Attack and gets an extra point in Defense and HP for additional bulk. Eviolite is used to boost Aipom's defenses in order to better take hits while pivoting.

Usage Tips
========

Aipom makes a good lead because it can Taunt entry hazard setters and utilize U-turn to break Sturdy or Focus Sash. Remember, however, that though this variant of Aipom isn't as powerful as its other set, it's still quite good as a revenge killer due to its blistering Speed. When facing a target with 15 Defense or higher, use Knock Off before using Fury Swipes. Not only does this potentially cripple the target, it also gives Fury Swipes much better damage rolls. This variant of Aipom can take some hits thanks to Eviolite. Some notable hits include Timburr's Drain Punch and +1 Porygon's Tri Attack; however, Aipom doesn't have any recovery moves and does not resist any attacks, so be cautious about the attacks you let it take. The most ideal way to play this Aipom set is as a sort of hit-and-run attacker by using Knock Off to weaken switch-ins then pivoting out via U-turn.

Team Options
========

This set fits very well on VoltTurn teams thanks to its pivoting nature, and it pairs especially well with Larvesta, who beats most Fighting-types. A Wish passer greatly increases Aipom's longevity by providing it recovery; Spritzee in particular is a great partner thanks to its Fairy typing. Cleric support is just as useful as Wish support; this can be provided by Spritzee or Snubbull. Less specifically, most bulky Pokemon that resist Fighting-type attacks will do well as a partner to this set, as they provide Aipom relief from its biggest threats. On the other hand, anything that has an issue with Gastly can find a good partner in Aipom, as this version of Aipom is able to take out Gastly pretty well; this includes Pokemon such as Cottonee and Drifloon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Running Seed Bomb over Brick Break can prevent Shell Smashers such as Tirtouga and Omanyte from setting up on Aipom. Aipom also has a variety of other powerful coverage options, such as Ice Punch and Iron Tail, that can be used to hit certain specific threats such as Archen. Remember, though, that Fury Swipes is more powerful in most cases. Facade can be used to bypass Flame Body users such as Ponyta and Larvesta, but this is a subpar option. Because Aipom has a high Speed and can switch in on Ghost-type attacks, it can viably run Pursuit to trap and KO Gastly. If you're looking for surprise options, Aipom lives some surprising hits with Eviolite, such as Timburr's Drain Punch, and can capitalize on that with Counter. Finally, Aipom actually is one of the few Pokemon in Little Cup that can Baton Pass Nasty Plot and also has access to Agility; however, it's outclassed by Togepi in the NastyPass role and by Torchic in the Speed passing role.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flame Body**: With an 80 percent chance to burn Aipom on a five-hit Fury Swipes, Flame Body users such as Ponyta are especially threatening to it.

**Rock- and Steel-Types**: Aipom has difficulty breaking through these Pokemon even with Brick Break; Tirtouga and Ferroseed are especially threatening with Solid Rock and Iron Barbs, respectively.

**Fighting-Types**: Fighting-types run rampant in Little Cup and threaten Aipom with super effective STAB attacks; Timburr is especially threatening due to its natural bulk and access to Mach Punch, which allows it to pick off Aipom fairly easily.

**Revenge Killers**: Choice Scarf users such as Gothita, strong priority users such as Timburr, and naturally faster Pokemon such as Diglett can all capitalize on Aipom's lack of priority and revenge kill it without too much trouble.

**Ghost-Types**: Ghost-type Pokemon are easy to switch in on Fury Swipes; however, they can't retaliate with Ghost-type STAB attacks and fear Knock Off. Pumpkaboo-S is especially threatening to Aipom, as it survives a Knock Off and can burn Aipom with Will-O-Wisp.

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
H&MBerkeley

XY LC Analysis Reservation Index said:
  • WIP - Work in Progress: The skeleton is incomplete and is not ready for the QC Team to evaluate. Keep in mind that the longer your analysis stays in WIP stage, the greater the chance of it being reassigned. Do not be lazy. After a period of 3 days, it may be reassigned if it is still in skeleton stages.
It's unfair to other willing contributors that this hasn't been touched, please do something

Remove all the bold

Overview:
I don't like the CB mention
Specifically mention Skill Link instead of ability in the 2nd point.
Mention some downsides of Fury Swipes like missing a lot and getting destroyed by Ferroseed/Flame Body

Wallbreaker:
Talked to you about slashing in adamant here
Slash U-turn before Fake Out, QC had a conversation about this and I know that's something we want for sure. Other members may change the moveset more.

Moves:
Common misconception to think that Return is stronger than Fury Swipes, quickly state why it isn't here.
U-turn desc.

Set Details:
make sure to mention pros/cons of jolly/adamant
lc rolls are so dumb why does life orb outdamage choice band rofl. Put a little "because of the strange way the damage formula works at level 5" or something similar after that point or people will probably think it's an error.

Team Options:
Knock Off support doesn't usually impact Fury Swipes rolls too much except for really high defense targets. It does help with Spritzee/Porygon if you're not adamant but otherwise I feel it doesn't need to be mentioned.
Things for pony/larv/ferro
Cleric support is super helpful

Pivot Lead:
I think we want the set to be this:
Fury Swipes
Knock Off
Brick Break / Fire Punch
U-Turn / Fake Out

Moves: add new stuff and keep taunt description here even though it's not on the set.

Usage Tips:
When using Fury Swipes against something with 15 Def. or higher it's really important to use Knock Off first to get decent damage rolls.

Team Options:
Cleric support

Other Options:
Specifically mention Iron Tail cuz Archen is annoying
Facade for Pony/Larv
Pursuit is cool for trapping Gastly
I've never used it but I've gotten bopped by it: Counter on the Eviolite set. Aipom actually lives things like Timburr's DP.

Checks and Counters:
Highlight Ferroseed in Rocks&Steels because it punishes Fury Swipes so hard.
Diglett --> Revenge Killers. Add in Scarfers and strong priority users.

QC 1/4 :toast:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove all the bold
Checks and Counters:
Highlight Ferroseed in Rocks&Steels because it punishes Fury Swipes so hard.
Diglett --> Revenge Killers. Add in Scarfers and strong priority users.

QC 1/4 :toast:
Do you think I could put ferroseed in with Pony and larv as they all kinda punish multi hit moves under something like **Flame Body and Iron Barbs** ?]

also what exactly does Fake Out do for you on the Pivot set? The utility of Taunt or U-turn seem a lot better for what the set is supposed to do

Everything else is implemented

Last edited:

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Wallbreaker:

Change the EV spread to 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe. That extra point in HP is kinda worthless when putting a point into either defense actually does a lot and from my calculations decreases damage taken from pretty much everything I've calced. The Defense point I feel is better because LO diglett can no longer KO you with EQ after one turn of Aipom's LO recoil or SR, but not both.

Are we really going to recommend Numel here...I feel like Skrelp would be a better choice for the section on Larvesta and Ponyta and Ferroseed, since it can switch into all of them pretty well and can 2HKO Ferroseed with HP Fire.

Pivot set:

Change the EV spread to 76 HP / 116 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe. That extra Defense point lowers some priority attack damage, especially +2 Fletchling Acrobatics, while not really compromising its Special bulk too much. It still has a 62% chance to survive +2 Omanyte Surf from full HP with or without that extra HP, for example. If that extra HP really helps against something I didn't calc let me know, but it seems okay to shift that point over on my end.

QC 2/3

Berks

has a Calm Mind
Wallbreaker:

Change the EV spread to 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe. That extra point in HP is kinda worthless when putting a point into either defense actually does a lot and from my calculations decreases damage taken from pretty much everything I've calced. The Defense point I feel is better because LO diglett can no longer KO you with EQ after one turn of Aipom's LO recoil or SR, but not both.

Are we really going to recommend Numel here...I feel like Skrelp would be a better choice for the section on Larvesta and Ponyta and Ferroseed, since it can switch into all of them pretty well and can 2HKO Ferroseed with HP Fire.

Pivot set:

Change the EV spread to 76 HP / 116 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe. That extra Defense point lowers some priority attack damage, especially +2 Fletchling Acrobatics, while not really compromising its Special bulk too much. It still has a 62% chance to survive +2 Omanyte Surf from full HP with or without that extra HP, for example. If that extra HP really helps against something I didn't calc let me know, but it seems okay to shift that point over on my end.

QC 2/3
I went through the calcs and yeah, shifting those EVs is the way to go with Pom

Heck yeah imma recommend Numel, it beats em all with Fire Blast / Earth Power / Ancient Power but I'll put Skrelp first

Implemented!

Set (Wallbreaker)
- I really, really like Adamant, and think it should be the first slash. It gets those sexy 4, 4, 4... 5 rolls on fatmons like Spritzee/Porygon without even knocking them off first, that's pretty insane. Jolly does give that extra point in Speed, but it turns a lot of damage rolls into 1, 1, 1... 4. Basically, 18 Speed is still really good; not much besides Gastly/Doduo sit there, and cranking up Aipom's wallbreaking potential > tying with Abra/Pony/friends imo
- Fire Punch can be slashed next to Brick Break; it basically trades the OHKO on Eviolite Pawniard for an OHKO on Ferroseed after rocks, not to mention you have a 100% accurate super effective move to use against Grass-types in general, which can be pretty handy. Fire Punch/Brick Break are both equally effective against Magnemite, and Tail Slap is better against Normal-types anyway. Brick Break is sorta helpful with Rock-types though, so it should remain the first slash (though a lot of the time you're better off using Knock Off against the likes of Tirtouga/Onix/Archen anyway).

Moves
- Give a brief explanation why Fury Swipes outdamages Return, since it's not obvious to newcomers, or even more experienced players if they haven't studied LC damage rolls closely.
- Add Fire Punch description.

Set Details
- Switch around the order of stuff as mentioned in the set.

Usage Tips
- If Fury Swipes hits a mon with Flame Body, Aipom has an 83% chance of getting burned in the process. A burned Aipom has shitty damage rolls :[

Team Options
- I wouldn't call Ferroseed a huge threat to Aipom; it discourages Tail Slap spam, but it doesn't really enjoy coming in on Knock Off, Brick Break, or Fire Punch. Or U-turn for that matter. I'd just say mons with abilities such as Flame Body / Iron Barbs heavily discourage Aipom from using Tail Slap.

Set (Pivot Lead)
- I agree that Fake Out can be removed.

Moves
- Fire Punch is on the set, but has no description?

Other Options
- Seed Bomb prevents Solid Rock Tirtouga and Omanyte from setting up Shell Smash against Aipom, and is one of Aipom's more legit other options for that reason.
- Does SubPunch actually beat anything that Aipom can't beat otherwise? Remove unless I'm missing something here.

Good work, QC 3/4

Berks

has a Calm Mind
Set (Wallbreaker)
- I really, really like Adamant, and think it should be the first slash. It gets those sexy 4, 4, 4... 5 rolls on fatmons like Spritzee/Porygon without even knocking them off first, that's pretty insane. Jolly does give that extra point in Speed, but it turns a lot of damage rolls into 1, 1, 1... 4. Basically, 18 Speed is still really good; not much besides Gastly/Doduo sit there, and cranking up Aipom's wallbreaking potential > tying with Abra/Pony/friends imo
- Fire Punch can be slashed next to Brick Break; it basically trades the OHKO on Eviolite Pawniard for an OHKO on Ferroseed after rocks, not to mention you have a 100% accurate super effective move to use against Grass-types in general, which can be pretty handy. Fire Punch/Brick Break are both equally effective against Magnemite, and Tail Slap is better against Normal-types anyway. Brick Break is sorta helpful with Rock-types though, so it should remain the first slash (though a lot of the time you're better off using Knock Off against the likes of Tirtouga/Onix/Archen anyway).

Moves
- Give a brief explanation why Fury Swipes outdamages Return, since it's not obvious to newcomers, or even more experienced players if they haven't studied LC damage rolls closely.
- Add Fire Punch description.

Set Details
- Switch around the order of stuff as mentioned in the set.

Usage Tips
- If Fury Swipes hits a mon with Flame Body, Aipom has an 83% chance of getting burned in the process. A burned Aipom has shitty damage rolls :[

Team Options
- I wouldn't call Ferroseed a huge threat to Aipom; it discourages Tail Slap spam, but it doesn't really enjoy coming in on Knock Off, Brick Break, or Fire Punch. Or U-turn for that matter. I'd just say mons with abilities such as Flame Body / Iron Barbs heavily discourage Aipom from using Tail Slap.

Set (Pivot Lead)
- I agree that Fake Out can be removed.

Moves
- Fire Punch is on the set, but has no description?

Other Options
- Seed Bomb prevents Solid Rock Tirtouga and Omanyte from setting up Shell Smash against Aipom, and is one of Aipom's more legit other options for that reason.
- Does SubPunch actually beat anything that Aipom can't beat otherwise? Remove unless I'm missing something here.

Good work, QC 3/4
So I already had Seed Bomb in there on the top of Other Options, I've removed SubPunch cause I rethought it and it's not good and I switched the order of Brick Break and Fire Punch on the Pivot set: I feel it's much more useful to be able to OHKO Ferroseed on this set because it has limited offensive output and is a very effective lure. Pom doesn't need to focus on 2HKOing Rock types on this set but should rather focus on a key OHKO. However, like you mentioned, I kept Brick Break the first slash on the wallbreak set. The order on the pivot set isn't set in stone but it's my opinion after some rethought that it should be Fire Punch / Brick Break. I added descriptions and explained my thoughts in the move descriptions.

Implemented, ready to write up!

So I already had Seed Bomb in there on the top of Other Options, I've removed SubPunch cause I rethought it and it's not good and I switched the order of Brick Break and Fire Punch on the Pivot set: I feel it's much more useful to be able to OHKO Ferroseed on this set because it has limited offensive output and is a very effective lure. Pom doesn't need to focus on 2HKOing Rock types on this set but should rather focus on a key OHKO. However, like you mentioned, I kept Brick Break the first slash on the wallbreak set. The order on the pivot set isn't set in stone but it's my opinion after some rethought that it should be Fire Punch / Brick Break. I added descriptions and explained my thoughts in the move descriptions.

Implemented, ready to write up!
Seed Bomb's usefulness vs smashers deserves a bigger mention instead of being lumped in with Gunk Shot / Iron Tail; that's what I was getting at. Also, Fire Punch doesn't OHKO Ferroseed on the second set due to lower Attack / no Life Orb, so I think Brick Break is still fine as being the first slash there.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
Seed Bomb's usefulness vs smashers deserves a bigger mention instead of being lumped in with Gunk Shot / Iron Tail; that's what I was getting at. Also, Fire Punch doesn't OHKO Ferroseed on the second set due to lower Attack / no Life Orb, so I think Brick Break is still fine as being the first slash there.
This is why its good to calc, I guess i just assumed it'd OHKO, will fix them both, then I'll write the thing up! Thanks much!

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
'Aipom is often viewed as bad Pokemon due to its high usage by lower-level players.' - I think this is fluff tbh, and unnecessary

'Aipom has a very versatile movepool, which, when coupled with its high Speed and decent bulk, allows Aipom to fill many niches' - again, feel this is unnecessary, you're not specifying what niches (i'm not even sure what 'many niches' it has tbh). It's just a cliche phrase. Maybe say something like it allows aipom to be a great wallbreaker and revenge killer.

Aipom's damage output is also greatly lessened on its Pivot set, though its longevity is greatly increased. - this last sentence can be removed, the overview is large enough as it is, and it can just be mentioned in each set.

set 1
mention that brick break is almost always preferred. this is because knock off+brick break 2HKOs 84/188 almost all the time ferroseed.

Alternatively, Fake Out can be significant for judging how much damage Fury Swipes will do, secures several 2HKOs with Fury Swipes, and is great for revenge killing. - idg the first clause, and you have to specify some 2hkos.

'Finally, Life Orb maximizes Aipom's damage output, even outdamaging Choice Band due to the odd damage rolls that occur at level 5.' this isn't true all the time, but sometimes is.

in team options, i'd like to see some mention of fletchling as a team mate, as aipom can help it weaken rock+steel types. i guess other normal+flying sweepers work well too.

set 2
' Aipom doesn't need to run Max Attack on this set; instead, it hits 15 Attack, the same as most pivot Mienfoo variants' the mienfoo point is irrelevant

'This variant of Aipom can take some hits with Eviolite' tbh i'd like some examples of the hits it takes, iirc doesn't it survive stuff like lots of fighting types' drain punch? that seems like an important thing to mention

other options
ice punch should be mentioned as aipom struggles to break through eviolite archen. you mention iron tail, but tbh ice punch is better if you wanna hit archen due to reliability. iron tail can still be mentioned i guess though. i think you should remove gunk shot, as fury swipes is basically always better, it's not worth running the coverage for spritzee and snubbull since fury swipes does loads after knock off.

checkscounters
mention pumpkaboo specifically in ghost types as it lives a knock off and burns. tbh that and honedge are the only ghost types that really pose too much of an issue.

edit this stuff and 4/4

not bad since you're still new to C&C. for future reference, try to avoid the odd cliche phrase, and try and cut out irrelevant points. also try to add examples instead of stuff like 'can take some hits with eviolite'

:toast:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
'Aipom is often viewed as bad Pokemon due to its high usage by lower-level players.' - I think this is fluff tbh, and unnecessary

'Aipom has a very versatile movepool, which, when coupled with its high Speed and decent bulk, allows Aipom to fill many niches' - again, feel this is unnecessary, you're not specifying what niches (i'm not even sure what 'many niches' it has tbh). It's just a cliche phrase. Maybe say something like it allows aipom to be a great wallbreaker and revenge killer.

Aipom's damage output is also greatly lessened on its Pivot set, though its longevity is greatly increased. - this last sentence can be removed, the overview is large enough as it is, and it can just be mentioned in each set.

set 1
mention that brick break is almost always preferred. this is because knock off+brick break 2HKOs 84/188 almost all the time ferroseed.

Alternatively, Fake Out can be significant for judging how much damage Fury Swipes will do, secures several 2HKOs with Fury Swipes, and is great for revenge killing. - idg the first clause, and you have to specify some 2hkos.

'Finally, Life Orb maximizes Aipom's damage output, even outdamaging Choice Band due to the odd damage rolls that occur at level 5.' this isn't true all the time, but sometimes is.

in team options, i'd like to see some mention of fletchling as a team mate, as aipom can help it weaken rock+steel types. i guess other normal+flying sweepers work well too.

set 2
' Aipom doesn't need to run Max Attack on this set; instead, it hits 15 Attack, the same as most pivot Mienfoo variants' the mienfoo point is irrelevant

'This variant of Aipom can take some hits with Eviolite' tbh i'd like some examples of the hits it takes, iirc doesn't it survive stuff like lots of fighting types' drain punch? that seems like an important thing to mention

other options
ice punch should be mentioned as aipom struggles to break through eviolite archen. you mention iron tail, but tbh ice punch is better if you wanna hit archen due to reliability. iron tail can still be mentioned i guess though. i think you should remove gunk shot, as fury swipes is basically always better, it's not worth running the coverage for spritzee and snubbull since fury swipes does loads after knock off.

checkscounters
mention pumpkaboo specifically in ghost types as it lives a knock off and burns. tbh that and honedge are the only ghost types that really pose too much of an issue.

edit this stuff and 4/4

not bad since you're still new to C&C. for future reference, try to avoid the odd cliche phrase, and try and cut out irrelevant points. also try to add examples instead of stuff like 'can take some hits with eviolite'

:toast:
Implemented!

Thanks so much btw, I'm trying to get into C&C as best I can n_n

This is ready for GP

amcheck
add
- remove - comment

[OVERVIEW]

Aipom possesses many fantastic qualities that make it shine in Little Cup. (fluff) Aipom has the potential to hit 19 Speed, a fantastic speed tier which allows it to outspeed a vast majority of the tier. With access to Skill Link, Aipom can make use of a powerful STAB move in Fury Swipes; (remove semicolon) Not only does it Fury Swipes hit much harder than Return due to the way damage rolls work in Little Cup, but it can also break through Focus Sashes and Substitutes. Consider removing the past two sentences entirely. They fit better in the 'Moves' section, not really the Overview. Aipom has a very versatile movepool, which, when coupled with its high Speed and decent bulk, allows Aipom to perform well as a wallbreaker and revenge killer. With access to both Taunt and Fake Out, Aipom can be an effective anti-lead, preventing entry hazards from going up and breaking Sturdy or Focus Sash. Aipom also has access to Knock Off, which, in tandem with Skill Link Fury Swipes, can turn Aipom into a fierce wallbreaker. You already mention it's a good wallbreaker a sentence above, so re-mentioning it is repetitive. Also, you should avoid using "with x, which, combined with y, makes z occur" too often. However, all is not peachy for Aipom. In a metagame dominated by Fighting-types, Aipom's pure Normal typing is a large hindrance, granting it no resistances and that one incredibly prominent weakness. Aipom's Normal typing is also a hindrance on the offensive side ; though mediocre offensively because although it does grant STAB on Fury Swipes, it also prevents Aipom's STAB from hitting does not hit anything super effectively. Aipom's main STAB attack, Fury Swipes, only has 80% accuracy, which can be incredibly disappointing when crucial hits are missed. Having a multi-hit physical attack as its main attack also means that Aipom gets completely demolished by users of easily taken advantage of by users of Flame Body and Iron Barbs.

Consider splitting this large paragraph into two.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fury Swipes is the obligatory Skill Link STAB takes advantage of Skill Link and is much stronger than Return due to Little Cup damage roll mechanics; (remove semicolon) on average, against a standard Mienfoo, For example, Fury Swipes will do 15 damage to standard Mienfoo, as opposed to the 10 damage Return would do. Knock Off provides good coverage with Fury Swipes by hitting Ghost-types super effectively and weakens Pokemon that hold Eviolite by removing it. Brick Break is coverage Fury Swipes and allows Aipom to break through Steel- and Rock-type. Brick Break hits Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon super effectively. It is almost always preferred on this set due to Aipom's increased ability to take on high Defense Rock-types like Tirtouga and is able to 2HKO Ferroseed. However, Fire Punch can OHKO Steel-types, which are huge threats that wall Aipom, such as Ferroseed. significant because it allows Aipom to OHKO Ferroseed, a huge threat to Aipom, and still lets Aipom take on other Steel-types. However, Fire Punch loses out on hitting Rock-types. U-turn allows Aipom to pivot out of unfavorable switch-ins (hyphen) while still doing damage and retaining momentum. Alternatively, Fake Out is great for revenge killing, and secures several 2HKOes on Pokemon such as Timburr, Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Porygon after Stealth Rock alongside with Fury Swipes. ; these include 2HKOes against significant targets such as Timburr, Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Porygon after Stealth Rock.

Set Details
========

The suggested EVs and an Adamant nature maximize Aipom's Attack while maintaining a Speed stat of 18 Speed. Alternatively, a Jolly nature gets Pom Aipom Be sure to always spell out the Pokemon's name! to the 19 Speed tier, which is fantastic in Little Cup. This isn't necessary on a wallbreaking set due to the inherent slowness of walls, but is nice against fast Pokemon like such as Gastly. The extra EVs go into Defense to help Aipom take priority attacks like such as Timburr's Mach Punch much better. Finally, Life Orb maximizes Aipom's damage output when using Fury Swipes, even outdamaging Choice Band in the same circumstances due to the odd damage rolls that occur at level 5.

Usage Tips
========

This variant of Aipom is fairly frail and shouldn't be switched in on any powerful attacks. Additionally, if you can't secure a KO in one or two hits, switch Aipom out so it doesn't have to take a hit. As the name suggests, Aipom should be used to break though walls like such as Spritzee and Porygon. Use Knock Off liberally, as it will aid in breaking through walls and can catch Ghost-types on the switch in. Be sure to only use Fury Swipes on Flame Body Pokemon like such as Ponyta in the most dire circumstances; it is almost certain that Aipom will be burned after 5 hits, thus putting it out of commission for the rest of the match and its Attack is cut in half while burned.

Team Options
========

Ponyta, Larvesta, and Feroseed are all huge threats to Aipom due to their abilities. (remove period) , (add comma) making Pokemon like such as Hidden Power Fire Skrelp and Numel are able to deal with each of those Pokemon good partners for Aipom. Aipom obviosly struggles with Fighting-types, so a teammate that resists Fighting is invaluable. Aipom is extremely hindered by status, so cleric support from the likes of Snubbull is fantastic; (remove semicolon) Snubbull stands out in particular because it beats all Fighting-type Pokemon bar Croagunk. can provide this support via Heal Bell while also beating any Fighting-type bar Croagunk. Entry hazard setting and hazard removal are both key, as one helps Aipom wallbreak and the other preserves Aipom's HP, which will already be going down thanks due to Life Orb recoil. Archen fits this role well with access to both Stealth Rock and Defog, and can also threaten Fighting-types. Some of Aipom's most common checks, such as Tirtouga, are shared by Fletchling, which means Aipom can help weaken Fletchling's checks to open the way for Fletchling to sweep.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fury Swipes is Aipom's STAB attack that makes use of Skill Link. Knock Off provides great coverage with Fury Swipes and helps Aipom support its teammates by removing the items of opposing Pokemon, most notably Eviolite. U-turn allows Aipom to pivot out of its checks, fulfilling its role as a pivot and keeping up momentum. On the other hand, Taunt allows Aipom to effectively outlead stop practically any entry hazard setter. Brick Break is good coverage with Fury Swipes and allows Aipom to beat Brick Break hits Steel- and Rock-types that would wall it otherwise. Alternatively, Fire Punch allows Aipom to take on Ferroseed, a very annoying threat to Aipom, much more easily Pokemon that would wall Aipom otherwise. However, it misses out on hitting Rock-types.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and and a Jolly nature maximize Aipom's Speed, getting it to the fantastic 19 Speed tier. Aipom doesn't need to run max Attack investment on this set; instead, it hits 15 Attack and gets an extra point in Defense and HP for additional bulk. Eviolite is used to boost Aipom's defenses in order to better take hits while pivoting. Jolly is the preferred nature on this set, as Aipom does not need the additional damage output Adamant would provide. You already said this in the first two sentences, just phrased a tiny bit differently.

Usage Tips
========

This Aipom makes a good lead by because it can Taunting entry hazard setters and utilize U-turning to break Sturdy or Focus Sash. Remember, however, that this variant of Aipom isn't as powerful as the wallbreaker other sets, but it's still quite good as a revenge killer due to Aipom's blistering Speed. When facing a target with 15 Defense or higher, use Knock Off before using Fury Swipes. Not only does this potentially cripple the target, it also gives Fury Swipes much better damage rolls. This variant of Aipom can take some hits with thanks to Eviolite. (add period) (remove) Some notable ones hits include Timburr's Drain Punch and a +1 Porygon's Tri Attack; however, (remove) but it Aipom doesn't have a method of recovery and does not resist any attacks, so be cautious about what attacks you let it take. The most ideal way to play this Aipom set is as a sort of hit-and-run attacker by using Knock Off to weaken switchins then pivoting out via U-turn.

Team Options
========

This set fits very well on Volt-Turn teams due to the its pivoting nature of the set, and pairs especially well with Larvesta, who beats most Fighting-types. A Wish passer greatly increases the lifespan of this set Aipom's longevity The set isn't being worn down, Aipom is. by providing it recovery; Spritzee in particular is a great partner due to its Fairy typing. Cleric support is just as useful as Wish support; this can be provided by for this variant of Aipom as for the wallbreaker variant; once again, Spritzee or Snubbull both fill this role well. Less specifically, most bulky Pokemon that resist Fighting-type attacks will do well as a partner to this set, as they provide Aipom relief from its biggest threats. On the other hand, anything that has an issue with Gastly can find a good partner in Aipom, as this version of Aipom is able to take out Gastly pretty well; this includes Pokemon like such as Cottonee and Drifloon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Seed Bomb is a key coverage move that prevents Shell Smashers such as Tirtouga and Omanyte from setting up on Aipom, and can replace Brick Break fairly well. Aipom also has a variety of other powerful coverage options, such as Ice Punch and Iron Tail, that can be used to hit certain specific threats such as Archen. Remember, though, that Fury Swipes is more powerful in most cases. Facade can be used to bypass Flame Body users such as Ponyta and Larvesta, but this is better left to teammates a subpar option. Because Aipom has a high speed and can switch in on Ghost type attacks, it can viably run Pursuit to trap and KO Gastly. If you're looking for surprise options, Aipom lives some surprising hits with Eviolite, such as Timburr's Drain Punch, and can capitalize on that with Counter. Finally, Aipom actually is one of the few Pokemon in Little Cup that can Baton Pass Nasty Plot and also has access to Agility; however, it's outclassed by Togepi in the NastyPass role and by Torchic in the Speed passing role.

Checks and Counters
===================

• **Flame Body**: With an 80% chance to burn Aipom on a 5-hit Fury Swipes, Flame Body users such as Ponyta are especially threatening to Aipom.
  • **Rock- and Steel-Types**: Aipom has difficulty breaking through these Pokemon even with Brick Break; Tirtouga and Ferroseed are especially threatening with Solid Rock and Iron Barbs, respectively.
  • **Fighting-Types**: Fighting-types run rampant in Little Cup and threaten Aipom with Super Effective STAB attacks; Timburr is especially threatening due to its natural bulk and access to Mach Punch, which allows it to pick off Aipom fairly easily.
  • **Revenge Killers**: Scarfers Choice Scarf users, strong priority users such as Timburr, and naturally faster Pokemon such as Diglett can all capitalize on Aipom's lack of priority and revenge kill it without too much trouble.
  • **Ghost-Types**: Ghost-type Pokemon are easy to switch in on Fury Swipes; however, they can't retaliate with Ghost-type STAB attacks and fear Knock Off. Pumpkaboo-S is especially threatening to Aipom, as it survives a Knock Off and can burn Aipom with Will-O-Wisp.

Last edited:

Berks

has a Calm Mind

amcheck
add
- remove - comment

[OVERVIEW]

Aipom possesses many fantastic qualities that make it shine in Little Cup. (fluff) Aipom has the potential to hit 19 Speed, a fantastic speed tier which allows it to outspeed a vast majority of the tier. With access to Skill Link, Aipom can make use of a powerful STAB move in Fury Swipes; (remove semicolon) Not only does it Fury Swipes hit much harder than Return due to the way damage rolls work in Little Cup, but it can also break through Focus Sashes and Substitutes. Consider removing the past two sentences entirely. They fit better in the 'Moves' section, not really the Overview. Aipom has a very versatile movepool, which, when coupled with its high Speed and decent bulk, allows Aipom to perform well as a wallbreaker and revenge killer. With access to both Taunt and Fake Out, Aipom can be an effective anti-lead, preventing entry hazards from going up and breaking Sturdy or Focus Sash. Aipom also has access to Knock Off, which, in tandem with Skill Link Fury Swipes, can turn Aipom into a fierce wallbreaker. You already mention it's a good wallbreaker a sentence above, so re-mentioning it is repetitive. Also, you should avoid using "with x, which, combined with y, makes z occur" too often. However, all is not peachy for Aipom. In a metagame dominated by Fighting-types, Aipom's pure Normal typing is a large hindrance, granting it no resistances and that one incredibly prominent weakness. Aipom's Normal typing is also a hindrance on the offensive side ; though mediocre offensively because although it does grant STAB on Fury Swipes, it also prevents Aipom's STAB from hitting does not hit anything super effectively. Aipom's main STAB attack, Fury Swipes, only has 80% accuracy, which can be incredibly disappointing when crucial hits are missed. Having a multi-hit physical attack as its main attack also means that Aipom gets completely demolished by users of easily taken advantage of by users of Flame Body and Iron Barbs.

Consider splitting this large paragraph into two.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fury Swipes is the obligatory Skill Link STAB takes advantage of Skill Link and is much stronger than Return due to Little Cup damage roll mechanics; (remove semicolon) on average, against a standard Mienfoo, For example, Fury Swipes will do 15 damage to standard Mienfoo, as opposed to the 10 damage Return would do. Knock Off provides good coverage with Fury Swipes by hitting Ghost-types super effectively and weakens Pokemon that hold Eviolite by removing it. Brick Break is coverage Fury Swipes and allows Aipom to break through Steel- and Rock-type. Brick Break hits Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon super effectively. It is almost always preferred on this set due to Aipom's increased ability to take on high Defense Rock-types like Tirtouga and is able to 2HKO Ferroseed. However, Fire Punch can OHKO Steel-types, which are huge threats that wall Aipom, such as Ferroseed. significant because it allows Aipom to OHKO Ferroseed, a huge threat to Aipom, and still lets Aipom take on other Steel-types. However, Fire Punch loses out on hitting Rock-types. U-turn allows Aipom to pivot out of unfavorable switch-ins (hyphen) while still doing damage and retaining momentum. Alternatively, Fake Out is great for revenge killing, and secures several 2HKOes on Pokemon such as Timburr, Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Porygon after Stealth Rock alongside with Fury Swipes. ; these include 2HKOes against significant targets such as Timburr, Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Porygon after Stealth Rock.

Set Details
========

The suggested EVs and an Adamant nature maximize Aipom's Attack while maintaining a Speed stat of 18 Speed. Alternatively, a Jolly nature gets Pom Aipom Be sure to always spell out the Pokemon's name! to the 19 Speed tier, which is fantastic in Little Cup. This isn't necessary on a wallbreaking set due to the inherent slowness of walls, but is nice against fast Pokemon like such as Gastly. The extra EVs go into Defense to help Aipom take priority attacks like such as Timburr's Mach Punch much better. Finally, Life Orb maximizes Aipom's damage output when using Fury Swipes, even outdamaging Choice Band in the same circumstances due to the odd damage rolls that occur at level 5.

Usage Tips
========

This variant of Aipom is fairly frail and shouldn't be switched in on any powerful attacks. Additionally, if you can't secure a KO in one or two hits, switch Aipom out so it doesn't have to take a hit. As the name suggests, Aipom should be used to break though walls like such as Spritzee and Porygon. Use Knock Off liberally, as it will aid in breaking through walls and can catch Ghost-types on the switch in. Be sure to only use Fury Swipes on Flame Body Pokemon like such as Ponyta in the most dire circumstances; it is almost certain that Aipom will be burned after 5 hits, thus putting it out of commission for the rest of the match and its Attack is cut in half while burned.

Team Options
========

Ponyta, Larvesta, and Feroseed are all huge threats to Aipom due to their abilities. (remove period) , (add comma) making Pokemon like such as Hidden Power Fire Skrelp and Numel are able to deal with each of those Pokemon good partners for Aipom. Aipom obviosly struggles with Fighting-types, so a teammate that resists Fighting is invaluable. Aipom is extremely hindered by status, so cleric support from the likes of Snubbull is fantastic; (remove semicolon) Snubbull stands out in particular because it beats all Fighting-type Pokemon bar Croagunk. can provide this support via Heal Bell while also beating any Fighting-type bar Croagunk. Entry hazard setting and hazard removal are both key, as one helps Aipom wallbreak and the other preserves Aipom's HP, which will already be going down thanks due to Life Orb recoil. Archen fits this role well with access to both Stealth Rock and Defog, and can also threaten Fighting-types. Some of Aipom's most common checks, such as Tirtouga, are shared by Fletchling, which means Aipom can help weaken Fletchling's checks to open the way for Fletchling to sweep.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fury Swipes is Aipom's STAB attack that makes use of Skill Link. Knock Off provides great coverage with Fury Swipes and helps Aipom support its teammates by removing the items of opposing Pokemon, most notably Eviolite. U-turn allows Aipom to pivot out of its checks, fulfilling its role as a pivot and keeping up momentum. On the other hand, Taunt allows Aipom to effectively outlead stop practically any entry hazard setter. Brick Break is good coverage with Fury Swipes and allows Aipom to beat Brick Break hits Steel- and Rock-types that would wall it otherwise. Alternatively, Fire Punch allows Aipom to take on Ferroseed, a very annoying threat to Aipom, much more easily Pokemon that would wall Aipom otherwise. However, it misses out on hitting Rock-types.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and and a Jolly nature maximize Aipom's Speed, getting it to the fantastic 19 Speed tier. Aipom doesn't need to run max Attack investment on this set; instead, it hits 15 Attack and gets an extra point in Defense and HP for additional bulk. Eviolite is used to boost Aipom's defenses in order to better take hits while pivoting. Jolly is the preferred nature on this set, as Aipom does not need the additional damage output Adamant would provide. You already said this in the first two sentences, just phrased a tiny bit differently.

Usage Tips
========

This Aipom makes a good lead by because it can Taunting entry hazard setters and utilize U-turning to break Sturdy or Focus Sash. Remember, however, that this variant of Aipom isn't as powerful as the wallbreaker other sets, but it's still quite good as a revenge killer due to Aipom's blistering Speed. When facing a target with 15 Defense or higher, use Knock Off before using Fury Swipes. Not only does this potentially cripple the target, it also gives Fury Swipes much better damage rolls. This variant of Aipom can take some hits with thanks to Eviolite. (add period) (remove) Some notable ones hits include Timburr's Drain Punch and a +1 Porygon's Tri Attack; however, (remove) but it Aipom doesn't have a method of recovery and does not resist any attacks, so be cautious about what attacks you let it take. The most ideal way to play this Aipom set is as a sort of hit-and-run attacker by using Knock Off to weaken switchins then pivoting out via U-turn.

Team Options
========

This set fits very well on Volt-Turn teams due to the its pivoting nature of the set, and pairs especially well with Larvesta, who beats most Fighting-types. A Wish passer greatly increases the lifespan of this set Aipom's longevity The set isn't being worn down, Aipom is. by providing it recovery; Spritzee in particular is a great partner due to its Fairy typing. Cleric support is just as useful as Wish support; this can be provided by for this variant of Aipom as for the wallbreaker variant; once again, Spritzee or Snubbull both fill this role well. Less specifically, most bulky Pokemon that resist Fighting-type attacks will do well as a partner to this set, as they provide Aipom relief from its biggest threats. On the other hand, anything that has an issue with Gastly can find a good partner in Aipom, as this version of Aipom is able to take out Gastly pretty well; this includes Pokemon like such as Cottonee and Drifloon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Seed Bomb is a key coverage move that prevents Shell Smashers such as Tirtouga and Omanyte from setting up on Aipom, and can replace Brick Break fairly well. Aipom also has a variety of other powerful coverage options, such as Ice Punch and Iron Tail, that can be used to hit certain specific threats such as Archen. Remember, though, that Fury Swipes is more powerful in most cases. Facade can be used to bypass Flame Body users such as Ponyta and Larvesta, but this is better left to teammates a subpar option. Because Aipom has a high speed and can switch in on Ghost type attacks, it can viably run Pursuit to trap and KO Gastly. If you're looking for surprise options, Aipom lives some surprising hits with Eviolite, such as Timburr's Drain Punch, and can capitalize on that with Counter. Finally, Aipom actually is one of the few Pokemon in Little Cup that can Baton Pass Nasty Plot and also has access to Agility; however, it's outclassed by Togepi in the NastyPass role and by Torchic in the Speed passing role.

Checks and Counters
===================

• **Flame Body**: With an 80% chance to burn Aipom on a 5-hit Fury Swipes, Flame Body users such as Ponyta are especially threatening to Aipom.
  • **Rock- and Steel-Types**: Aipom has difficulty breaking through these Pokemon even with Brick Break; Tirtouga and Ferroseed are especially threatening with Solid Rock and Iron Barbs, respectively.
  • **Fighting-Types**: Fighting-types run rampant in Little Cup and threaten Aipom with Super Effective STAB attacks; Timburr is especially threatening due to its natural bulk and access to Mach Punch, which allows it to pick off Aipom fairly easily.
  • **Revenge Killers**: Scarfers Choice Scarf users, strong priority users such as Timburr, and naturally faster Pokemon such as Diglett can all capitalize on Aipom's lack of priority and revenge kill it without too much trouble.
  • **Ghost-Types**: Ghost-type Pokemon are easy to switch in on Fury Swipes; however, they can't retaliate with Ghost-type STAB attacks and fear Knock Off. Pumpkaboo-S is especially threatening to Aipom, as it survives a Knock Off and can burn Aipom with Will-O-Wisp.

do you know how much time this would save me

Implemented and ready for check two! :D

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
[OVERVIEW]

Aipom has the potential to hit 19 Speed, which allows it to outspeed a vast majority of the tier. With access to Skill Link, Aipom can make use of a powerful STAB in Fury Swipes, which has the benefit of breaking through Focus Sashes and Substitutes. Aipom has a very versatile movepool, which, when coupled with its high Speed and decent bulk, allows Aipom to perform well as a wallbreaker and revenge killer. With access to both Taunt and Fake Out, Aipom can be an effective anti-lead, preventing hazards from going up and breaking Sturdy or Focus Sash.

However, all is not peachy for Aipom. In a metagame dominated by Fighting-types, Aipom's pure Normal typing is a large hindrance, granting it no resistances and one incredibly prominent weakness. Aipom's Normal typing is also mediocre offensively because although it does grant STAB on Fury Swipes, it also does not hit anything for super effectively damage. Aipom's main STAB attack, Fury Swipes, only has 80% percent accuracy, which can be incredibly disappointing when crucial hits are missed. Having a multi-hit physical attack as its main attack also means that Aipom is easily taken advantage of by users of Flame Body and Iron Barbs.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fury Swipes takes advantage of Skill Link and is much stronger than Return due thanks to Little Cup's damage roll mechanics. For example, Fury Swipes will do deal 15 damageto damage to a standard Mienfoo, (RC) ("as" isn't being used in lieu of "because" in this instance, so the pause is unnecessary) as opposed to the 10 damage Return would do deal. Knock Off provides good coverage with Fury Swipes by hitting Ghost-types for super effectively damage and weakens Pokemon that hold Eviolite by removing it. Brick Break hits Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon for super effectively damage, and it is preferred over Fire Punch. Fire Punch comes with the benefit of OHKOing Ferroseed, (RC) but loses out on hitting Rock-types. U-turn allows Aipom to pivot out of unfavorable switch-ins while still doing dealing (you can't "do damage"; think of it as "I swim," not "I do swimming" lol bad example but still you get the point) damage and retaining momentum. Alternatively, Fake Out is great for revenge killing, and it secures several 2HKOes on POkemon Pokemon such as Timburr, Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Porygon after Stealth Rock alongside Fury Swipes.

Set Details
========

The suggested EVs and an Adamant nature maximize Aipom's Attack while maintaining a Speed stat of 18. Alternatively, a Jolly nature gets Aipom to the 19 Speed tier, which is fantastic in Little Cup. This isn't necessary on a wallbreaking set due to the inherent slowness of walls, but it is nice against fast Pokemon such as Gastly. The extra EVs go into Defense to help Aipom take priority attacks such as Timburr's Mach Punch much better. Finally, Life Orb maximizes Aipom's damage output when using Fury Swipes, even outdamaging Choice Band in the same circumstances due to the odd damage rolls that occur at level 5.

Usage Tips
========

Aipom is fairly frail and shouldn't be switched in on any powerful attacks. Additionally, if you can't secure a KO in one or two hits, switch Aipom out so it doesn't have to take a hit. As the set name suggests, Aipom should be used to break though walls such as Spritzee and Porygon. Use Knock Off liberally, as it will aid in breaking through walls and can catch Ghost-types on the switch in. Be sure to only use Fury Swipes on Flame Body Pokemon such as Ponyta in the most dire circumstances; it is almost certain that Aipom will be burned after 5 five hits, putting it out of commission for the rest of the match.

Team Options
========

Ponyta, Larvesta, and Feroseed are all huge threats to Aipom due to their abilities, making Pokemon such as Hidden Power Fire Skrelp and Numel good partners for Aipom. Aipom struggles with Fighting-types, so a teammate that resists Fighting is invaluable. Aipom is extremely hindered by status, so cleric support from the likes of Snubbull is fantastic. Snubbull stands out in particular because it beats all Fighting-type Pokemon, (AC) barring Croagunk. Entry hazard setting and removal are both key, as one the former helps Aipom wallbreak and the other latter preserves Aipom's HP, which will already be going down due to Life Orb recoil. Archen fits this role well with access to both Stealth Rock and Defog, and it can also threaten Fighting-types. Some of Aipom's most common checks, such as Tirtouga, are shared by Fletchling, which means Aipom it can help weaken Fletchling's checks to open the way for Fletchling to sweep.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fury Swipes is Aipom's STAB attack that makes use of Skill Link, (AC) and it is made even stronger when boosted by STAB. Knock Off provides great coverage with Fury Swipes and helps Aipom support its teammates by removing the items of opposing Pokemon, most notably Eviolite. Brick Break hits Steel- and Rock-types that would wall Aipom otherwise. Alternatively, Fire Punch allows Aipom to take on Ferroseed, which would only be 2HKOed by Brick Break. However, it misses out on hitting Rock-types, unlike Brick Break. U-turn allows Aipom to pivot out of its checks, fulfilling its role as a pivot and keeping up momentum. On the other hand, Taunt allows Aipom to effectively stop practically any entry hazard setter. Brick Break hits Steel- and Rock-types that would wall Aipom otherwise. Alternatively, Fire Punch allows Aipom to take on Ferroseed, a Pokemon that would only be 2HKOed otherwise. However, it misses out on hitting Rock-types. (I moved it because of the way it's listed in the set)

Set Details
========

The given EVs and and a Jolly nature maximize Aipom's Speed, getting it to the fantastic 19 Speed tier. Aipom doesn't need to run max Attack investment on this set; instead, it hits 15 Attack and gets an extra point in Defense and HP for additional bulk. Eviolite is used to boost Aipom's defenses in order to better take hits while pivoting.

Usage Tips
========

Aipom makes a good lead because it can Taunt entry hazard setters and utilize U-turn to break Sturdy or Focus Sash. Remember, however, that, (AC) even though this variant of Aipom isn't as powerful as the its other sets, it's still quite good as a revenge killer due to Aipom's its blistering Speed. When facing a target with 15 Defense or higher, use Knock Off before using Fury Swipes. Not only does this potentially cripple the target, it also gives Fury Swipes much better damage rolls. This variant of Aipom can take some hits thanks to Eviolite. Some notable hits include Timburr's Drain Punch and +1 Porygon's Tri Attack; however, Aipom doesn't have any recovery moves and does not resist any attacks, so be cautious about the attacks you let it take. The most ideal way to play this Aipom set is as a sort of hit-and-run attacker by using Knock Off to weaken switchins switch-ins then pivoting out via U-turn.

Team Options
========

This set fits very well on Volt-Turn VoltTurn teams due thanks to its pivoting nature, and it pairs especially well with Larvesta, who beats most Fighting-types. A Wish passer greatly increases the Aipom's longevity by providing it recovery; Spritzee in particular is a great partner due thanks to its Fairy typing. Cleric support is just as useful as Wish support; this can be provided by Spritzee or Snubbull. Less specifically, most bulky Pokemon that resist Fighting-type attacks will do well as a partner to this set, as they provide Aipom relief from its biggest threats. On the other hand, anything that has an issue with Gastly can find a good partner in Aipom, as this version of Aipom is able to take out Gastly pretty well; this includes Pokemon such as Cottonee and Drifloon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Running Seed Bomb over Brick Break can prevent Shell Smashers such as Tirtouga and Omanyte from setting up on Aipom. Aipom also has a variety of other powerful coverage options, such as Ice Punch and Iron Tail, that can be used to hit certain specific threats such as Archen. Remember, though, that Fury Swipes is more powerful in most cases. Facade can be used to bypass Flame Body users such as Ponyta and Larvesta, but this is a subpar option. Because Aipom has a high speed Speed and can switch in on Ghost type Ghost-type attacks, it can viably run Pursuit to trap and KO Gastly. If you're looking for surprise options, Aipom lives some surprising hits with Eviolite, such as Timburr's Drain Punch, and can capitalize on that with Counter. Finally, Aipom actually is one of the few Pokemon in Little Cup that can Baton Pass Nasty Plot and also has access to Agility; however, it's outclassed by Togepi in the NastyPass role and by Torchic in the Speed passing role.

Checks and Counters
===================

• **Revenge Killers**: Choice Scarf users such as Gothita, strong priority users such as Timburr, and naturally faster Pokemon such as Diglett can all capitalize on Aipom's lack of priority and revenge kill it without too much trouble.
**Flame Body**: With an 80 percent chance to burn Aipom on a five-hit Fury Swipes, Flame Body users such as Ponyta are especially threatening to it.

**Rock- and Steel-Types**: Aipom has difficulty breaking through these Pokemon even with Brick Break; Tirtouga and Ferroseed are especially threatening with Solid Rock and Iron Barbs, respectively.

**Fighting-Types**: Fighting-types run rampant in Little Cup and threaten Aipom with super effective STAB attacks; Timburr is especially threatening due to its natural bulk and access to Mach Punch, which allows it to pick off Aipom fairly easily.

**Revenge Killers**: Choice Scarf users, such as Gothita, strong priority users, such as Timburr, and naturally faster Pokemon, such as Diglett, can all capitalize on Aipom's lack of priority and revenge kill it without too much trouble.

**Ghost-Types**: Ghost-type Pokemon are easy to switch in on Fury Swipes; however, they can't retaliate with Ghost-type STAB attacks, and they fear Knock Off. Pumpkaboo-S is especially threatening to Aipom, as it survives a Knock Off and can burn Aipom with Will-O-Wisp.
[OVERVIEW]

However, all is not peachy for Aipom. In a metagame dominated by Fighting-types, Aipom's pure Normal typing is a large hindrance, granting it no resistances and one incredibly prominent weakness. Aipom's Normal typing is also mediocre offensively because although it does grant STAB on Fury Swipes, it also does not hit anything for super effective damage. Aipom's main STAB attack, Fury Swipes, only has 80 percent accuracy, which can be incredibly disappointing when crucial hits are missed. Having a multi-hit physical attack as its main attack also means that Aipom is easily taken advantage of by users of Flame Body and Iron Barbs.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fury Swipes takes advantage of Skill Link and is much stronger than Return thanks to Little Cup's damage roll mechanics. For example, Fury Swipes will deal 15 damage to a standard Mienfoo as opposed to the 10 damage Return would deal. Knock Off provides good coverage with Fury Swipes by hitting Ghost-types for super effective damage and weakens Pokemon that hold Eviolite by removing it. Brick Break hits Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon for super effective damage, and it is preferred over Fire Punch. Fire Punch comes with the benefit of OHKOing Ferroseed but loses out on hitting Rock-types. U-turn allows Aipom to pivot out of unfavorable switch-ins while still dealing damage and retaining momentum. Alternatively, Fake Out is great for revenge killing, and it secures several 2HKOs on Pokemon such as Timburr, Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Porygon after Stealth Rock alongside Fury Swipes.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Aipom is fairly frail and shouldn't be switched in on any powerful attacks. Additionally, if you can't secure a KO in one or two hits, switch Aipom out so it doesn't have to take a hit. As the set name suggests, Aipom should be used to break though walls such as Spritzee and Porygon. Use Knock Off liberally, as it will aid in breaking through walls and can catch Ghost-types on the switch in. Be sure to only use Fury Swipes on Flame Body Pokemon such as Ponyta in the most dire circumstances; it is almost certain that Aipom will be burned after five hits, putting it out of commission for the rest of the match.

Team Options
========

Ponyta, Larvesta, and Feroseed are all huge threats to Aipom due to their abilities, making Pokemon such as Hidden Power Fire Skrelp and Numel good partners for Aipom. Aipom struggles with Fighting-types, so a teammate that resists Fighting is invaluable. Aipom is extremely hindered by status, so cleric support from the likes of Snubbull is fantastic. Snubbull stands out in particular because it beats all Fighting-type Pokemon, barring Croagunk. Entry hazard setting and removal are both key, as the former helps Aipom wallbreak and the latter preserves Aipom's HP, which will already be going down due to Life Orb recoil. Archen fits this role well with access to both Stealth Rock and Defog, and it can also threaten Fighting-types. Some of Aipom's most common checks, such as Tirtouga, are shared by Fletchling, which means it can help weaken Fletchling's checks to open the way for Fletchling to sweep.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fury Swipes makes use of Skill Link, and it is made even stronger when boosted by STAB. Knock Off provides great coverage with Fury Swipes and helps Aipom support its teammates by removing the items of opposing Pokemon, most notably Eviolite. Brick Break hits Steel- and Rock-types that would wall Aipom otherwise. Alternatively, Fire Punch allows Aipom to take on Ferroseed, which would only be 2HKOed by Brick Break. However, it misses out on hitting Rock-types, unlike Brick Break. U-turn allows Aipom to pivot out of its checks, fulfilling its role as a pivot and keeping up momentum. On the other hand, Taunt allows Aipom to effectively stop practically any entry hazard setter.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Aipom makes a good lead because it can Taunt entry hazard setters and utilize U-turn to break Sturdy or Focus Sash. Remember, however, that, even though this variant of Aipom isn't as powerful as its other sets, it's still quite good as a revenge killer due to its blistering Speed. When facing a target with 15 Defense or higher, use Knock Off before using Fury Swipes. Not only does this potentially cripple the target, it also gives Fury Swipes much better damage rolls. This variant of Aipom can take some hits thanks to Eviolite. Some notable hits include Timburr's Drain Punch and +1 Porygon's Tri Attack; however, Aipom doesn't have any recovery moves and does not resist any attacks, so be cautious about the attacks you let it take. The most ideal way to play this Aipom set is as a sort of hit-and-run attacker by using Knock Off to weaken switch-ins then pivoting out via U-turn.

Team Options
========

This set fits very well on VoltTurn teams thanks to its pivoting nature, and it pairs especially well with Larvesta, who beats most Fighting-types. A Wish passer greatly increases Aipom's longevity by providing it recovery; Spritzee in particular is a great partner thanks to its Fairy typing. Cleric support is just as useful as Wish support; this can be provided by Spritzee or Snubbull. Less specifically, most bulky Pokemon that resist Fighting-type attacks will do well as a partner to this set, as they provide Aipom relief from its biggest threats. On the other hand, anything that has an issue with Gastly can find a good partner in Aipom, as this version of Aipom is able to take out Gastly pretty well; this includes Pokemon such as Cottonee and Drifloon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Running Seed Bomb over Brick Break can prevent Shell Smashers such as Tirtouga and Omanyte from setting up on Aipom. Aipom also has a variety of other powerful coverage options, such as Ice Punch and Iron Tail, that can be used to hit certain specific threats such as Archen. Remember, though, that Fury Swipes is more powerful in most cases. Facade can be used to bypass Flame Body users such as Ponyta and Larvesta, but this is a subpar option. Because Aipom has a high Speed and can switch in on Ghost-type attacks, it can viably run Pursuit to trap and KO Gastly. If you're looking for surprise options, Aipom lives some surprising hits with Eviolite, such as Timburr's Drain Punch, and can capitalize on that with Counter. Finally, Aipom actually is one of the few Pokemon in Little Cup that can Baton Pass Nasty Plot and also has access to Agility; however, it's outclassed by Togepi in the NastyPass role and by Torchic in the Speed passing role.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Revenge Killers**: Choice Scarf users, such as Gothita, strong priority users, such as Timburr, and naturally faster Pokemon, such as Diglett, can all capitalize on Aipom's lack of priority and revenge kill it without too much trouble.

**Ghost-Types**: Ghost-type Pokemon are easy to switch in on Fury Swipes; however, they can't retaliate with Ghost-type STAB attacks, and they fear Knock Off. Pumpkaboo-S is especially threatening to Aipom, as it survives a Knock Off and can burn Aipom with Will-O-Wisp.

[GP 2/2]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)