Serious Alcohol

Hi! So what are you drinking experience?

In my country, Poland, you can legally drink if you are older than 18 years and as you might expect I started way before it. Who don't knows these crazy, sometimes hilarious, sometimes awful teenagers party where everybody get drunk and half of people puke? They were kinda silly but I always smile when I'm thinking about them.

On one of them I did probably single most stupid thing in my life so far. I don't remember how much exactly I drank but it was more than 1 bottle of vodka... Maybe 1 and a half or 1/3? As you might expect, I was really close to losing my consciousness. Latter on I realized that I could get serious injury or maybe even get killed if I did not vomit.

Right now, I can legally drink so I don't drink as much and I rarely get drunk. Most of time my drinking is like I'm going with friend or two to pub and have nice talk with beer. Or just pick something nice in shop and have nice evening chill.

Like right now. When I was writing this topic I was drinking some mead (wine-like alcohol made of honey), kinda wondering what to do with my life, because I'm kinda tired of some bullshit. What do you drink, what is your story?

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
The legal drinking age in the United States is 21, and I'm one of the few people here who actually waited until I could legally drink to do so. I've never drank so much that I blacked out, but at some point I did drink like four shots of vodka in one sitting and very soon had to rush to the toilet to vomit. Not fun.

For the most part, my drinks of choice would be beer and vodka. I'll drink basically anything labeled vodka (even New Amsterdam which is probably the worst vodka I've ever put in my mouth), but I'm picky with beer (the only beers I really like are Blue Moon and Guinness, and I make it a point to avoid anything that ends with "lite"). I find that moderate consumption helps to take the edge off after having a shitty day, but after the day of four shots of Skyy, I really make some degree of effort to keep my drinking moderate. Basically I need to make sure to never drink enough to cause serious health problems like kidney failure or cirrhosis (and, short-term, vomiting just isn't fun)

PS: The drinking age being at 21 in the US is bullshit - it just means 18-20yo's end up drinking in unsupervised venues like fraternity/sorority houses, which is a recipe for disaster. If it were 18, it would be easier for US colleges to supervise alcohol consumption

Yeah, I know exacly whats going on with beer. In my country most people dring like international lager (Carlsber and local beers that are worse than this) and I totaly don't like this. I drink craf beer if anything and I especialy like german and nederlands style beers like Wittbier or Märzen. I heard that in US are many crafbeer brewery so I'm sure you can check that out.

About voodka... Well, I'm from slavic country but I don't really like voodka. I drinki it, but I drink it too get drunk and I don' enjoy it's taste at all. I much rather prefer something like beer or mead just because it taste better.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
In March I got probation with regular drug tests, so I had to start drinking as a replacement. Man I fuckin hate alcohol, because no matter how much I drink I can't enjoy it really - like, I'm either virtually sober or the feeling is just unpleasant, with no middle ground. Plus I gotta piss the whole time when ive been drinking, which is a serious bitch. So now I quit drinking because it's just not my thing. Fuck alcohol, do drugs if you can.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lol I went to Germany on a vacation and I tried beer there because the drinking age is like 13 or some crazy shit with your parents permission and it tastes like garbage lol idk how Germans can survive when all there is to drink is beer and water costs like $5/liter

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lol I went to Germany on a vacation and I tried beer there because the drinking age is like 13 or some crazy shit with your parents permission and it tastes like garbage lol idk how Germans can survive when all there is to drink is beer and water costs like $5/liter
The Germans really really really really like beer, I mean shit you only have to be 16 to buy beer in Germany

Beer consumption per capita, USA 2014: 75.8 L
Beer consumption per capita, Germany 2014: 104.7 L

Foggi

Banned deucer.
I remember back i the day before I even was 18 yrs Old i used to drink alcohol 2-3 times a week, i even remember when I went drunk to school a couple of times but I guess it's nothing special for people from my country (Poland too, lol) Right now after I turned 18 i drink less alcohol than ever and it's not surprising tbh, i prefer smoking some weed at the weekend than drinking alcohol till I lose my consciousness (that's how we do in my country)

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think I had the occasional drink of beer as a young child because I was a shit and stole drinks from my parents when they weren't looking. As a grown person though, I didn't start drinking until I was 18, when it was legal in Thailand. I had a tall, cold beer, and it was okay. After that I started getting into whiskey, and now I drink mostly beer and whiskey, but I'm willing to drink anything. Just the other day I tried alcool for the first time. That shit was rough but I loved it. It helps that I have an above average alcohol tolerance (at least I think I do based on drinking with friend and relatives) so I can actually enjoy it well. It means I spend a bit more on booze, but oh well.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Alcohol here in India is a big thing though, I mean you are being frowned upon if you consume it before 21 I guess. But however nowadays for my generation its almost like a regular thing, specially for guys like me who live away from home. Plus, I am a little embarrassed to say this, but sometimes my tolerance level is shit so tbh I always have a good time, when I get drunk lol.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I don't drink much because I just really really dislike the taste of alcohol. The only things I've been able to find that I can drink and not taste the alcohol much are alcopops (which just taste like soft drinks) and sugary ciders.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm currently completely t-total due to having this extremely weird thing about alcohol that may be partially rooted in my experience around drunk people when I was younger. Like, I never had any interest in having sips of my dad's drink when I was in my early teens and I never drunk alcohol illegally when I was 15-17, and now that I'm 18 I don't really want to start drinking either. This is a direct contrast with my twin sister, who has been drinking in secret with her friends for the past year or so (if not more) before our birthday at the end of May, when she started drinking publicly (although she is pretty good at not getting shitfaced, which is good).

I find the smell of just about every alcoholic drink I've come across to be completely repulsive. Also, with my grandma coming from rural Ireland I've been over there a lot (almost every summer of my life) to spend time in the bungalow where she grew up. This means that I know a lot of my family's friends from over there, including a number of alcoholics (one of which is incredibly smart and musical but is just constantly shitfaced and horrible to be around). This has really heavily tainted the way that I view alcohol to the point where I just find drinking to be incredibly unattractive in general.

mags

Banned deucer.
I had my friends buy me alcohol since i was 13 and got my first fake id when i was 16 and now im 17 with my 3rd fake id (cops took my other ones) and ive been drinking myself into comas for awhile now and basically need a new liver,,, the w good things alcohol has done for me is make my life wild and it made me richer cause i buy alcohol for all the kids in my school and raise the prices to all the fuckheads i hate :) live in united states and in ma u can easily get away with fake ids cause they dont check them at all,,,

I had my friends buy me alcohol since i was 13 and got my first fake id when i was 16 and now im 17 with my 3rd fake id (cops took my other ones) and ive been drinking myself into comas for awhile now and basically need a new liver,,, the w good things alcohol has done for me is make my life wild and it made me richer cause i buy alcohol for all the kids in my school and raise the prices to all the fuckheads i hate :) live in united states and in ma u can easily get away with fake ids cause they dont check them at all,,,
Dying / Nearly Dying isn't worth it. I never understood what makes people want to do this.

As for my own alcohol experience, I don't drink. I've never desired to bring myself to such dangerous levels. That and I'm under age and respect the law in my country.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Wow youre a big boy

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
You're basically the poster child for alcoholism, and here I was thinking I was an alcoholic

I just don't see the appeal of alcohol. It takes like shit and when people are drunk they behave (most of the time) like insufferable morons - why would you want that? I need to hang on to the precious few brain cells I have.

Alcohol ranks tight up there with weed, Monty Python and South Park in the most overrated things.

Last edited:
You're basically the poster child for alcoholism, and here I was thinking I was an alcoholic
I could personally handle so much more when I was 17, it's a magical age for sure
I just don't see the appeal of alcohol. It takes like shit and turns you into a moron - why would you want that? I need to hang on to the precious few brain cells I have.

Alcohol ranks tight up there with weed, Monty Python and South Park in the most overrated things.
Alcohol doesn't "turn" you into anything really, quite the opposite, it can be used for getting to know yourself better.

Why do people eat mushrooms? They taste like butt and make you sick.

Agreed about weed, tho it smells nice at least.

I just don't see the appeal of alcohol. It takes like shit and when people are drunk they behave (most of the time) like insufferable morons - why would you want that? I need to hang on to the precious few brain cells I have.

I never liked the way people behaved when they were drunk in college, and never saw the appeal of drinking myself. On my 21st birthday I had my first drink and I found that I actually enjoyed the burning taste of alcohol, but I don't like being buzzed or drunk. I never liked a lot of the hot drinks like coffee or tea so for me alcohol is a way better slow drink to sit and chat over. These days I drink maybe once a month and get drunk on really special occasions. When I drink I'll have pretty much anything but I love whiskey.

I don't know about "getting to know yourself better" though. I don't really inhibit myself when I'm sober so getting drunk doesn't change much but make me dumber and less intelligible. Maybe it makes other people more comfortable with me but those tend to be strangers, not people I actually want to hang out with.

Last edited:
I used to get stupid drunk all the time, now I drink about once a month and only have 2-3 beers when I do. Dark beer is delicious, it also helps that my local brewery makes a mean stout.

My dad's part of this beer of the month club too so whenever I go out to see him it's nice to catch up over some brews. Also something about football and beer is just magical, glad the seasons starting

mags

Banned deucer.
alcohol isn't overrated imo like sure ive fucked up my liver cause im an irresponsible teenager but plenty of ppl actually enjoy the taste of alcohol and if you are in the right environment the effects alcohol have can make whatever you are doing a lot more enjoyable. also to all the ppl questioning other ppl about drinking problems just remember everyone has a story to why they drink. stress, family problems i mean it could literally be anything. my story is id rather live in the fast lane and have fun then live a long boring ass life,, ;)

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I like to have a few beers sometimes when I'm chilling with friends. Watching the game or just kicking it, it's a social thing. What I don't understand is drinking liquor casually, basically in these same situations (as opposed to a party or a bar). I used to do it when I was younger and I just don't enjoy it now. The feeling is nice when i've had only a little but as soon as I enter the next stage it's sorta just crappy if I'm not out doing something. I've had enough of it and different kinds to know that I don't like the taste either.

I also don't get hangovers from beer unless I drink a ridiculous amount and have no water. I've had a hangover from liquor without even drinking all that much, especially flavored liquor which is disgusting. It's different when you're like 17 because hangovers aren't really a thing but yeah.

If I'm not gonna go out then I'd rather just get high since it's more chill and there isn't a risk of feeling like crap in the morning

Ohmachi

Sun✡Head
Let me set the record straight. Alcohol is very bad for you until you turn 21. Then it's very good.

Alcohol does not bring out your "true" self. What it does do though is it lowers your threshold for what it takes for you to be motivated to do or say something.

The difference between someone who drinks alot and someone who has a problem is whether the drinking effects your life.

I never liked the way people behaved when they were drunk in college, and never saw the appeal of drinking myself. On my 21st birthday I had my first drink and I found that I actually enjoyed the burning taste of alcohol, but I don't like being buzzed or drunk. I never liked a lot of the hot drinks like coffee or tea so for me alcohol is a way better slow drink to sit and chat over. These days I drink maybe once a month and get drunk on really special occasions. When I drink I'll have pretty much anything but I love whiskey.

I don't know about "getting to know yourself better" though. I don't really inhibit myself when I'm sober so getting drunk doesn't change much but make me dumber and less intelligible. Maybe it makes other people more comfortable with me but those tend to be strangers, not people I actually want to hang out with.
Single. Malt. Scotch. Based on this post you are basically born to drink it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)