Almost Any Ability Creative/Underrated Sets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't doubt that this is as effective at taking on individual physical attackers as you say it is (the calcs I've done thus far support this), but with no recovery to speak of, it's not going to be destroying Hyper Offense / priority spam teams -- not even ones that are running four non-Fire physical attackers :3

If this set does become popular, I should note that Refrigerate Entei doesn't break a bird-eating sweat decimating it with Sacred Fire.
I never says it completely destroys hyper offense. It's just a very reliable switch-in to most hyper offense threats barring bisharp and fire types.

To address the first point, I sometimes run it with wish support from PH Vape, which takes care of the fire spam weakness and the longevity problem. Not to mention it provides decent momentum.

Also saying that Entei beats it really isn't a good argument; that's like saying Skarmory is a good physical wall in gen 5 OU, but it loses to Victini.
What's the general viability of Megas with weather dependent abilities, with their pre mega forms with drought, Drizzle, and Sand stream?
I find Mega Houndoom not even need to invest in Sp Attack it hit quite hard and Sucker Punch and Pursuit are nice to have.

Mega Pert Sounds alright, A hard to switch in waterfall and the ability to be non flying fire type water absorbers is nice.

Mega Chomp and Mega Steelix have stupidly strong EQs.

But they do only get one to to set up it so they sound gimmicky to me.
Mega Houndoom is okay, it nukes things like nothing else, especially since it gets nasty plot and a nice base speed, letting it break past even the likes of chansey. However, it's not as good as it could be due to only getting 1 time to set up and being easily forced out by priority (which is all over AAA). Also, it has the longevity of a dollar store product.

Mega Swampert is actually pretty amazing; it's an excellent late game cleaner with insane power, and ice punch/waterfall/earthquake is all you really need to hit the majority of mons super effectively. I'd say it's the best of the four.

Mega Garchomp is honestly pretty underwhelming. By mega evolving, you lose 10 points on base speed, and those 10 points can be huge in a tier with crazy strong pokemon. Sand force is really just a life orb that boosts ground, rock, and steel moves; and most of the time, it can't break past stall nor offense due to stuff like skarmory or mamoswine. Still, this thing could work if you run a dedicated sand team.

Mega Steelix's typing is honestly cancer for it; being weak to fire, fighting, ground, and water in this meta is just god-awful, even with that bulk. Although, it can switch in on a bird, click gyro ball/eq (predicting), and watch something die. Still not worth a mega slot though imo; too slow, typing is too bad, and the power just doesn't cut it.

I never says it completely destroys hyper offense. It's just a very reliable switch-in to most hyper offense threats barring bisharp and fire types.

To address the first point, I sometimes run it with wish support from PH Vape, which takes care of the fire spam weakness and the longevity problem. Not to mention it provides decent momentum.

Also saying that Entei beats it really isn't a good argument; that's like saying Skarmory is a good physical wall in gen 5 OU, but it loses to Victini.
Yeah, my post wasn't very clear about my objection; I just felt that the phrasing of your post overhyped its ability to take on hyper offense, and wanted to clarify. Wish support definitely seems worthwhile. And my point about Entei isn't an argument against Doublade so much as it is a pre-emptive pointer to those offense players looking to work around this.

gotta go slow (Ferrothorn) @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off
- Explosion

So it turns out that slapping Tough Claws and a Choice Band on something makes it stronger. Who knew?

This is just the Choice Band set from Gen V with Tough Claws and Knock Off. It is, by my calculations, about 2.8 times as powerful as standard Ferrothorn. While it hates Fire- and Fighting-type moves (its Fire weakness is by far the greatest downgrade from a Flash Fire set), it still has more than enough bulk to take neutral and resisted hits and surprise KO in return -- despite having great STABs and solid Attack, nobody expects Ferrothorn to run an offensive set. Bulldoze is maybe a choice over Explosion (despite it not being a great move to be locked into, mispredicts are much less painful), but I've literally never needed that fourth moveslot anyways. The best thing about this set, however, is that you get so much free damage because standard Ferrothorn forces a lot of switches and baits a good deal of setup.

Things that it destroys: Any water type (beware of Scald), Hippowdon, Snorlax (with no defense investment or Curse boosts), Deoxys-D, Rotom-W (even after a burn), Chansey (it can even use Knock Off first for a clean OHKO later), Mandibuzz, any offensive Pokemon that doesn't OHKO it first (watch out for Fighting coverage on birds). Of the things that it can't handle (mostly bulkier Steel- and Fire-types, and things that want to use SE attacks against it), most can be handled with powerful Water types, if you're looking to form an offensive core.

Its primary flaw, as an offensive Pokemon, is that it goes last and has no recovery, which means that it can get worn down to KO range after taking a hit or two. Given that this set is not inclined to stay in for a long time, however, you don't necessarily need to run it with Wish support. A Volt/Turn/Pass is, however, appreciated to get it in safely.

In short, if you need something that can take a hit and KO a lot of things out of nowhere, consider Choice Band Ferrothorn.

Last edited:

Chatot: ADAPTABILITY

252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed/4 Atk/Naive
Item: Choice Specs
Boomburst/Chatter/Heat Wave/U-turn

Basically Chatot, but at least somewhat viable in OU. Being not too slow so that in can potentially boomburst the daylight out of nearly any pokemon, even resisted!
Also, u-turn is nice since it gives some switch intiative if you really need to not spam Boomburst XD

gotta go slow (Ferrothorn) @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off
- Explosion

So it turns out that slapping Tough Claws and a Choice Band on something makes it stronger. Who knew?

This is just the Choice Band set from Gen V with Tough Claws and Knock Off. It is, by my calculations, about 2.8 times as powerful as standard Ferrothorn. While it hates Fire- and Fighting-type moves (its Fire weakness is by far the greatest downgrade from a Flash Fire set), it still has more than enough bulk to take neutral and resisted hits and surprise KO in return -- despite having great STABs and solid Attack, nobody expects Ferrothorn to run an offensive set. Bulldoze is maybe a choice over Explosion (despite it not being a great move to be locked into, mispredicts are much) less painful), but I've literally never needed that fourth moveslot anyways. The best thing about this set, however, is that you get so much free damage because standard Ferrothorn forces a lot of switches and baits a good deal of setup.

Things that it destroys: Any water type (beware of Scald), Hippowdon, Snorlax (with no defense investment or Curse boosts), Deoxys-D, Rotom-W (even after a burn), Chansey (it can even use Knock Off first for a clean OHKO later), Mandibuzz, any offensive Pokemon that doesn't OHKO it first (watch out for Fighting coverage on birds). Of the things that it can't handle (mostly bulkier Steel- and Fire-types, and things that want to use SE attacks against it), most can be handled with powerful Water types, if you're looking to form an offensive core.

Its primary flaw, as an offensive Pokemon, is that it goes last and has no removal, which means that it can get worn down to KO range after taking a hit or two. Given that this set is not inclined to stay in for a long time, however, you don't necessarily need to run it with Wish support. A Volt/Turn/Pass is, however, appreciated to get it in safely.

In short, if you need something that can take a hit and KO a lot of things out of nowhere, consider Choice Band Ferrothorn.
I use this thing in OU, so adding Tough Claws seems crazy. Love it.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Chatot: ADAPTABILITY

252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed/4 Atk/Naive
Item: Choice Specs
Boomburst/Chatter/Heat Wave/U-turn

Basically Chatot, but at least somewhat viable in OU. Being not too slow so that in can potentially boomburst the daylight out of nearly any pokemon, even resisted!
Also, u-turn is nice since it gives some switch intiative if you really need to not spam Boomburst XD
Pretty sure Boomburst and Heat Wave are incompatible. Anyway, I don't think this set is good because of Chatot's frailty along with its subpar speed. If you really want to use Chatot use it with Gale Wings, which at least solves the speed problem a bit.

Pretty sure Boomburst and Heat Wave are incompatible. Anyway, I don't think this set is good because of Chatot's frailty along with its subpar speed. If you really want to use Chatot use it with Gale Wings, which at least solves the speed problem a bit.
Heat Wave is a tutor move in ORAS. So no, Boomburst + Heat Wave is not incompatible. But yes, Gale Wings Chatter hax is really the only reason to use Chatot at all.

On the subject of Gale Wings...

Skarmory @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Iron Head
- Drill Peck
- Roost

Skarmory may not be what springs to mind when you think of a Gale Wings abuser, but it's surprisingly useful. After all, its Attack stat is only one point behind Talonflame, and we all know how hard its Brave Birds hit in OU...

The set is kind of strange at first glance, but everything has a reason to be there. Brave Bird is Skarmory's main move to spam with Gale Wings, Iron Head is to leave a dent in Rock-types and suchlike, Drill Peck is for revenging already-weakened enemies (Skarmory's attacking movepool is quite shallow...) and Roost is to give it a chance to use its bulk. 252+ Attack for maximum hitting power, 252 HP to give Skarmory as much survivability as it can (most priority users are outrunning Skarmory anyway and it's not going to be using Iron Head much), and a Life Orb is used over Choice Band to let Skarmory use Roost and switch between Brave Bird/Drill Peck freely, letting it save its HP from recoil against weakened enemies.

Compared to your average Gale Wings + Brave Bird spammer, Skarmory has a few nice perks going for it to make up for its significantly weaker Brave Birds. First, there's the Steel typing, which gives it a heap of resistances - and, therefore, chances to switch in - that Staraptor, Braviary or Honchkrow would kill for. Combine that with the physical Defense that Skarmory is known for and you have a Gale Wings revenge killer that can actually switch in directly without sacrificing a chunk of its health before it uses Brave Bird. The fact that it has some actual defensive presence makes it distinct from the other birds, who are usually played as glass cannons. Plus, there's the sheer surprise factor that comes from attacking a Skarmory, only to have it outrun you and land a Brave Bird.

It's also an entertainingly good check to enemy Gale Wings spam - outside of Honchkrow's Heat Wave, the best that Braviary, Honchkrow or Staraptor can do is a 2HKO from Braviary's Superpower or Staraptor's Close Combat, and neither of those has priority like Skarmory's Gale Wings Brave Bird, which 2HKOs them first (Drill Peck is also a 2HKO if they aren't running HP investment). :>

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
On the subject of Gale Wings...

Skarmory @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Iron Head
- Drill Peck
- Roost

Skarmory may not be what springs to mind when you think of a Gale Wings abuser, but it's surprisingly useful. After all, its Attack stat is only one point behind Talonflame, and we all know how hard its Brave Birds hit in OU...

The set is kind of strange at first glance, but everything has a reason to be there. Brave Bird is Skarmory's main move to spam with Gale Wings, Iron Head is to leave a dent in Rock-types and suchlike, Drill Peck is for revenging already-weakened enemies (Skarmory's attacking movepool is quite shallow...) and Roost is to give it a chance to use its bulk. 252+ Attack for maximum hitting power, 252 HP to give Skarmory as much survivability as it can (most priority users are outrunning Skarmory anyway and it's not going to be using Iron Head much), and a Life Orb is used over Choice Band to let Skarmory use Roost and switch between Brave Bird/Drill Peck freely, letting it save its HP from recoil against weakened enemies.

Compared to your average Gale Wings + Brave Bird spammer, Skarmory has a few nice perks going for it to make up for its significantly weaker Brave Birds. First, there's the Steel typing, which gives it a heap of resistances - and, therefore, chances to switch in - that Staraptor, Braviary or Honchkrow would kill for. Combine that with the physical Defense that Skarmory is known for and you have a Gale Wings revenge killer that can actually switch in directly without sacrificing a chunk of its health before it uses Brave Bird. The fact that it has some actual defensive presence makes it distinct from the other birds, who are usually played as glass cannons. Plus, there's the sheer surprise factor that comes from attacking a Skarmory, only to have it outrun you and land a Brave Bird.

It's also an entertainingly good check to enemy Gale Wings spam - outside of Honchkrow's Heat Wave, the best that Braviary, Honchkrow or Staraptor can do is a 2HKO from Braviary's Superpower or Staraptor's Close Combat, and neither of those has priority like Skarmory's Gale Wings Brave Bird, which 2HKOs them first (Drill Peck is also a 2HKO if they aren't running HP investment). :>
just saying, but skarm is S rank in AAA mainly due to the offensive SD gale wings set, so yeah...lol. gale wings offensive skarm does make sense, and is perhaps one of the best abusers of it (honestly, when m0nte told me about it, i laughed and then i tried it...and haven't used braviary since).

Last edited:

V (Victini) @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

I see your Tinted Lens Jirachi and I raise you a Tinted Lens Victini. Tinted Lens is such a wonderful Ability for two reasons: It reduces your checks to limited numbers and saves you a moveslot because most of the time, you need no coverage. And the damage output is so much it's funny to watch your checks getting 0HKOed or 2HKOed helplessly. Bol Strike is there of course, to get at Flash Fire Steel Types. Trick for Defensive mons and the very specific Flash Fire Ferrothorn.

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 360-426 (77.5 - 91.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latios: 306-360 (84 - 98.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 158-186 (43.4 - 51%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 246-292 (62.4 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Keep in mind that these are the best of the best at checking/countering Victini. And they're all 2HKOed. To make it extremely effective, set up Sticky Web and proceed to shuffle through the opponent's team with V-Create win button. Make use of other nukes like Sheer Force Gengar, Tinted Lens Garchomp and Tinted Lens Jirachi to make the opponent truly miserable.

V (Victini) @ Choice Band
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

I see your Tinted Lens Jirachi and I raise you a Tinted Lens Victini. Tinted Lens is such a wonderful Ability for two reasons: It reduces your checks to limited numbers and saves you a moveslot because most of the time, you need no coverage. And the damage output is so much it's funny to watch your checks getting 0HKOed or 2HKOed helplessly. Bol Strike is there of course, to get at Flash Fire Steel Types. Trick for Defensive mons and the very specific Flash Fire Ferrothorn.

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 360-426 (77.5 - 91.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latios: 306-360 (84 - 98.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 158-186 (43.4 - 51%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 246-292 (62.4 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Keep in mind that these are the best of the best at checking/countering Victini. And they're all 2HKOed. To make it extremely effective, set up Sticky Web and proceed to shuffle through the opponent's team with V-Create win button. Make use of other nukes like Sheer Force Gengar, Tinted Lens Garchomp and Tinted Lens Jirachi to make the opponent truly miserable.
This is one of victini's most used sets iirc, the other being tough claws. So, idk if this is the right place for that.

Also, since i've been meaning to post something here for a while, here's a krookodile set i've had success with.

Krookodile (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Superpower / Stone Edge / Pursuit/ Crunch

I came up with this after the bisharp and mamoswine ban. Krookodile seemed like a perfect replacement because it has the strong knock off and eq which made those two so popular. while it lacks the immediate power both of them had, it's a lot faster. Also having bulk up as the setup moves make it harder for it to be revenge killed by the common priority abusers in the meta. The reason crunch is slashed is because it can take out some things after the first (stronger) knock off while the second weaker knock off can't. 240 speed jolly lets it outspeed jolly lucario and adamant entei, but an adamant set could be used instead to deal more damage at the expense of being less effective vs lucario and entei

What it does: My teambuilding is limited to "can this hit hard?" so uh don't expect much from me in terms of what it does. What i do with it is basically try setting up / predict mons that might come in and click the right coverage move. I didn't even do these calcs when i made the set, i just did it now to make the post look nice. Feel free to make fun of me or point out any mistakes i made.

some annoying defensive mons:
0 SpA Cresselia Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 136-162 (41 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Cresselia Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 182-216 (54.9 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 322-385 (72.5 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 489-577 (110.1 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
basically it makes cresselia cry

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Cresselia: 367-433 (82.6 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
except maybe filter cresselia, but it still dies :S

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 276-328 (85.7 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
idk what set doublade runs, but this should prove that it's beaten by krook

4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 212-252 (64 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 250-296 (61.8 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 260-307 (64.3 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
It can beat suicune i guess but it's not very reliable with scald burns and unaware suicune being a thing

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 333-393 (86.7 - 102.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
and it can basically set up on zapdos unless there's an unfortunate heat wave burn

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 146-174 (43.7 - 52%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
does respectable damage to fully defensive skarm before it gets whirlwinded out and knocks of skarm's item which is always useful

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Skarmory: 286-338 (85.6 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Skarmory: 286-338 (105.5 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
and this is vs the gale wings offensive variants.

this isn't exactly common but

some levitate mons:
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 364-429 (94.3 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Heatran: 265-312 (68.6 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Magnezone: 250-296 (72.6 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 338-400 (98.2 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
this is just knock off, you could always use superpower, also don't think people run full defense evs on those things so knock off will probably always get the job done. but staying in vs heatran is usually not a good idea, since you could get hit with a random prankster wisp

the revenge killers i was talking about:
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Brave Bird vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Krookodile: 249-294 (75.2 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Braviary: 484-569 (119.8 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Lucario Extreme Speed vs. +1 0 HP / 12 Def Krookodile: 107-126 (32.3 - 38%) -- 96.2% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Lucario Extreme Speed vs. +1 0 HP / 12 Def Krookodile: 208-247 (62.8 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Refrigerate Entei Extreme Speed vs. +1 0 HP / 12 Def Krookodile: 272-320 (82.1 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Entei Extreme Speed vs. +1 0 HP / 12 Def Krookodile: 138-163 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Sash lucario and tough claws genesect however can beat it with uturn (fridge espeed from band genesect doesn't ko it, i just didn't include the calc because it'll just u-turn out or ko with xscissor if it has it)

What beats this set: fast hard hitting things, especially special attackers. Most things can't switch in but can revenge kill, like victini (jolly/scarf), gengar, latios (only if it has focus miss) etc. Intimidate hippo is a pain in the rear as always.

Last edited:
I've been testing this thing lately, and can conclude that it's a monster:

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Grass Knot/Knock Off
- Air Slash/Knock Off

Tornadus-T outspeeds most of the relevant offensive threats in the tier, and can pretty much net a free kill (assuming no fridgespeed). However, one thing I noticed people doing was that they were using gale wings, and honestly that's extremely easy to stop with something like zapdos. So, with this set, I know lazily slapping tinted lens onto a pokemon that spams one attack isn't the most creative of things, but it's certainly a weapon to consider adding to your team, especially since rain teams have been getting more and more relevant lately.
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 262-308 (68.2 - 80.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 318-376 (95.2 - 112.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 130-154 (46.2 - 54.8%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 240-282 (59.4 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 168-198 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 280-330 (86.9 - 102.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 288-340 (96.3 - 113.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You could opt for Tornadus-I for more power, but then you have to gamble the speed tie against thundurus-I, but it's honestly personal preference, as Incarnate is noticeable stronger.

Sneasel @ Icicle Plate/Choice Band/Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack
- Return
-Focused on priority and max attack
TheReptile's variation:

Sneasel @ Life Orb / Icicle Plate
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out / Swords Dance / Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Return / Double-Edge
- Quick Attack / Feint / Low Kick
-Best for all around use
With Weavile being banned, many players may have a hard time dealing with priority users, No Guard Gengar, and revenge killing in general. As Sneasel is not often used, it can suprise the opponent, and revenge kill Gengar easily, get good damage on breloom before going into a magic bounce, and effectively block for momentum. It is best used with hazard setters to secure revenge killing.

Obviously, it struggles against Pokémon that resist ice, but the is to keep momentum and other Pokémon with fake out. Refrigerate helps to fix this issue to an extent by taking out others with a priority ice move, turning normal moves into ice. However, letting it get burned will make it useless.《i.e. thundurus/landorus forms》

Could someone run some damage calculations? I cannot do it on my android system effectively.

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
[SNEASEL 2 BIG FOR SMASH]
Sneasel @ Icicle Plate/Choice Band/Life Orb
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack
- Return
Sneasel is a pretty cool mon in the meta, although I don't understand why you're running max HP. I think a set that's more like this would be better

Sneasel @ Life Orb / Icicle Plate
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out / Swords Dance / Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Return / Double-Edge
- Quick Attack / Feint / Low Kick

Technically you could run 224 Speed EVs to outpace 252+ Thundurus / Tornadus. I don't know if the extra bulk helps at all though, so I put max speed to speed tie other sneasel and raikou. I think I have a little too many slashes right now, but you can easily go either 4 attacks or SD. You make up for its kind of meh base 95 attack with high BP fridge moves obv. Life Orb is the item of choice because its the go-to item for glass canon mon for a reason :p. However, if you're using Double-Edge Icicle Plate is a good move. Feint is manly there for Dragonite's ESpeed, since it's the only notable ESpeeder you can beat. It also bypasses Protect, although this is less notable. Technically Plate DE is stronger than LO Fridge, but gives you a weaker Knock Off. SD is cool because you can kill a lot of shit at +2, although you do have problems actually getting said +2. Still hits hard without it though.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Sneasel Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos in Strong Winds: 361-429 (94 - 111.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Icicle Plate Refrigerate Sneasel Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos in Strong Winds: 390-462 (101.5 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Sneasel Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos in Strong Winds: 179-213 (46.6 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Sneasel Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Skarmory: 172-203 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (offensive SD can't switch in that safetly although BB kills)
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Mew: 273-322 (67.5 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Sneasel Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 439-517 (104.5 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Sneasel Return vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 602-710 (93.7 - 110.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Sneasel Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 259-305 (77.5 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sneasel: 172-204 (68.5 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It does best vs offense than stall teams, and has troubles vs bulky watermons. Dunno what else to calc. Tough Claws is also an option, as with Aerial Ace you hit Keldeo, although sadly it lives (doesn't appreciate it though)

MegaILLUSIONDOS

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Illusion
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Substitute

While looking at the set first glance, one might think it silly. Gyarados acquires more weaknesses, and Volt Absorb Gyarados is already effective enough as it is. However, this is the precise reason to build a team around this beast. It acquires even more attack power, and your foe will not see it coming. Set up on a psychic type, and prepare for domintion.

This works when you remove possible counters from the opponents team, and remove phasers. Though requiring support, I've personally been rekt by one. I never saw it coming.

Last edited:
Tentakind (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Marvel Scale/Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald/Sludge Bomb
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Overview: Tentacruel's fragility has made it decline in usage. At a time before defog users, it had a nice niche for rapid spinning, and setting up to remove toxic spikes upon entry. In AAA, it has a chance to become viable in a OU-like state, being able to take hits with marvel scale.

Pros: Can set up and remove hazards. Great under reflect and light screen support. Can use knock off to cripple an unsuspecting enemy and get decent damage on psychic switch ins. Marvel scale makes it take half damage from 100 percent, allowing more versatile ways to survive. It also can damage some fairy types decently, for such an average special attack stat. It's special defense is great.

Cons: Hazards can make marvel scale useless, so knowing when to switch in is key. In a metagame where psychics are common, it will require support to do its job. Magic bounce is somewhat common in the metagame, screwing you over if you don't take them out first. It's defense also sucks.

Conclusion: Though to be used by a skilled player to be effective, I feel this set is unique and creative, deserving to be on the set list It may be the answer against annoying prankster shellos, and other hazard setters that may cripple an offensive or counter offensive team.
In my experience with Tentacruel, I've rarely seen it OHKOed -- and having an ability that is wrecked by hazards is kind of pointless on a hazard remover. Plus, without any reliable recovery, it can't abuse either of these abilities.

Do you have any replays of this set that demonstrate its utility? Magic Bounce (which beats nigh all hazard setters) and Regenerator (which can come in on various threats repeatedly) are Tentacruel's "standard" abilities, and both perform their role well.

Tentacruel @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Acid Spray
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Tentacruel has apparently already been posted, but it was deleted so I am going to submit this. Assault vest regenerator tentacruel is just such a good pivot pokemon and general wall. Water/Poison is an excellent type that allows it to check or counter many threats in aaa. It is one of the few mons with rapid spin, allowing you to stack hazards and remove theirs. Scald and knock off are the best utility moves in the game, allowing you to get burns on things and get rid of items. Acid spray is partly a filler move, but it allows you to beat things like suicune 1v1 because of the sdef drops. (Acid spray is a 40 bp move that drops sdef by 2 stages if you didn't know what it does.) Some of the things tentacruel switches into or checks: Entei, Heatran, Aegislash, Doublade, Blaziken, Heracross, Genesect, Manaphy, Gengar, Volcarona, Mega Diancie. Also, because of the poison typing, it can afford to switch into many defensive mons and knock them off and fish for scald burns, such as Chansey, Mandibuzz, defensive Skarmory, Goodra, Regirock, Deoxys-D, and more. Good team mates are pokemon that can switch into strong ground attacks, or block volt switchers/beats electric types, or switch into latios/any other psychic type, as well as anything that sets spikes or stealth rocks. Levitate Doublade, pre-mega levitate metagross, Hippowdon, volt absorb Mandibuzz/Skarmory, and Ferrothorn are all good pokemon that pair well with tentacruel.

Here is a great set with mew that i love to use.It's great for playing mind games with your target.

@ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Me First
- Transform
- Soft Boiled
- Defog

The Main Gimmick with this set is the prankster ability.With it you won't be needing to invest speed EVs and can focus on bulk/defense.Prankster Me First is great you'll be able to use your foe's attack against them with 1.5x power and it's a lot of fun seeing your foe's attack kill them.Transform is great if they try to set up you'll be able to copy their stat boast,ability and pokemon with priority.Soft Boiled is a handy move to carry as you can heal yourself before the foe gets to attack.Defog is so you can remove annoying hazards that may cause problems for your team.

Of course there are problems with this set.Me First will not work if the target does not use a direct damage attack,so you'll fall to moves like toxic And you can't directly attack anyways.But overall this set can be really useful.

So in the end this is a fun gimmicky set that can really turn around matches.

Here is a great set with mew that i love to use.It's great for playing mind games with your target.

@ Focus Sash
Relaxed Nature
- Me First
- Transform
- Soft Boiled
- Defog

The Main Gimmick with this set is the prankster ability.With it you won't be needing to invest speed EVs and can focus on bulk/defense.Prankster Me First is great you'll be able to use your foe's attack against them with 1.5x power and it's a lot of fun seeing your foe's attack kill them.Transform is great if they try to set up you'll be able to copy their stat boast,ability and pokemon with priority.Soft Boiled is a handy move to carry as you can heal yourself before the foe gets to attack.Defog is so you can remove annoying hazards that may cause problems for your team.

Of course there are problems with this set.Me First will not work if the target does not use a direct damage attack,so you'll fall to moves like toxic And you can't directly attack anyways.But overall this set can be really useful.

I can testify. Though it is a gimmick, I never saw it coming. It is so good if you know how to use it.

@ Focus Sash
Relaxed Nature
- Me First
- Transform
- Soft Boiled
- Defog

lost to this thing so much.
R
I
P
Chlorotran

Here's another set that i think is underrated but completely awesome.

@ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spa / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Energy Ball/Psychic/Shadow Ball/Signal Beam
- Ice Beam

This Thing gets a lot options with sheer force which is awesome!If you can set up a tail glow you'll do massive damage to anything with moves like scald,ice beam,energy ball and psychic.The focus sash makes sure you get a tail glow off and if your feeling risky go for the life orb.You won't be able to take a free hit but you'll do extra damage without the recoil!I don't see many people using this pokemon or the sheer force ability for some reason even though sheer force is a great ability.This thing can sweep entire teams very easily.

Problems: Manaphy can be out sped by a lot of pokemon scarfed or not.Focus sash won't protect from the some what rare multi hit attacking pokemon.But that's about it for this thing's problems.

Overall:Fantastic sweeper and that happy smile from manaphy is something you don't want coming at you.

Last edited:

Most Lucarios are physical and i see many people say physical lucario is great,But i disagree.

@ Choice Specs
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Arua Sphere
- Dragon Pulse/Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse

Oh God this thing is Amazing. Lucario is common but normally physical but i would say that special lucario is far better.This thing does an absurd amount damage to anything. Lucario some how gets all the pulse/aura moves that mega launcher works with(except orgin pulse).This is a pretty simple set that just does a lot of damage and i would like to see it used more often.Choice specs could be removed for choice scarf for bonus speed but less damage.

Problems: Easily Out sped but that's pretty much it.

Overall:Powerful pokemon that i think should be recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)