AAA Almost Any Ability

hello hello hello good people! i have arrived with some weird ideas that came to me in a dream!

slightly better harcanine (arcanine-h): magic guard + life orb. is it better than banded rock head? probably not, but the ability to almost kill with head smash and then snipe with espeed is nice

the cooler braviary (braviary-h): esper wing is such a fun move, and super luck +scope lens gives a 80 bp move that raises your speed and has a 100% chance to crit, plus it gives literally every other move a base 50% crit chance. shenanigans ensue

karakasa (decidueye-h): two sets for this bad boy. super luck + razor claw gives triple arrows and leaf blade 100% crit chances, which is fun. alternatively, serene grace works wonders with triple arrows too

blaze it (typhlosion-h): infernal parade is hex, but better in almost every single way. exploit that by slapping serene grace onto the undead badger! as for item? idk man figure it out yourself

and last but certainly not least, berenstain (ursaluna): headlong rush is iron fist boosted. need i say more?

have fun! :)

:sv/mew:
Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Spin
- Imprison
- Transform
- U-turn

Trapper mew arrives!

Trapper mew baits special walls like meloetta and traps them to knock them out. Now I know what you may be thinking, why are you using beads of ruin? The answer to that is to give your opponent the illusion that you are an offensive set so they will swap their special wall into you which allows you to trap them. This set only really works against bulkier teams as there won't be an opportunity to use this mew against offensive teams.

Thanks to om cord for helping with the set.

To reliably use the set you ideally want to force something out so you can use fire spin as they swap, then imprison then transform.

It has u-turn to prevent the special walls from u-turning out after imprison.

In some scenarios you can just use imprison and transform.

You want to pair this with stuff that benefit from special walls being gone.

I haven't tried it but I wonder if prankster would work out on this set.

:SV/goodra_hisui:
Goodra-Hisui @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Surf/Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Surf/Ice Beam
- Heavy Slam
hisuian goodra is a really cool pokemon, it took the potential that kalosian goodra had and RAN with it. it has a surprisingly good typing and an insane special defense, being 150 base spdef. with a plus nature and max evs/ivs, it has 438 spdef. for comparison, blissey would have 405.
the current metagame really needs a good regenvest mon, and while meloetta :meloetta: is quite good for this, goodrah has, in my opinion, better utility and typing. though it always depends on what your team needs. meloetta has more speed, special attack, and a pivot move, but goodrah has more physical defense and special defense. goodrah struggles against ursaluna :ursaluna: and other physical fighting types, but it can run more defense, ice beam, or surf to try mediate that. i don't think theres a special hit that goodrah cannot take, i highly reccomend using it

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Hi
1686279525368.png

Whenever the damage calc auto-grabs sets from smogdex, it'll include AAA sets now! This means you won't need to mass upload your AAA pastes as custom sets anymore :D as long as sample sets/analyses are kept up-to-date, everything will naturally end up on the calc hehe

POST MORE SAMPLE SETS

LordBox

you should love yourself... NOW!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
#FreeGreatTusk

It got quickbanned and it could be retested in this HOME meta because it would give us actual non-Corviknight removal for this tier. If people don’t like it then let them vote for it to stay banned and that’s that.
You could say that for pre-home, is there anything actually in home that would justify a resuspect? Unless you disagree with the initial ban which you are free to make the case for as well.

Mons I've been trying out since home dropped:

:Arcanine-Hisui:
Arcanine-Hisui @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed

:Electrode-Hisui:
Electrode-Hisui @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Chloroblast
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- any move

:Slither_Wing:
Slither Wing @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
Tera Type: Bug
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz

:Toxapex:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Toxic
- Chilling Water
- Recover

Right now i believe that all of these mons are very good, or at least viable. I have also been using Electrode-H and Slither Wing as a voltturn core and they have been very effective so far. Pex is definitely the mon i expected the least value out of but after i put it on my team for initially dealing with Sneasler, it gave me a lot more than i anticipated. Its only really terrified of fast electrics like elec-H or sandy, but it can still deal very minor chip to those mons and wittle them down. I have also been pairing it with Unaware Corviknight to deal with the multiple CM + stamina + stored power users in the tier.

free 2ac so i can run electrode and harca on a team

Mons I've been trying out since home dropped:

:Arcanine-Hisui:
Arcanine-Hisui @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed

:Electrode-Hisui:
Electrode-Hisui @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Electric
Timid Nature
- Chloroblast
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- any move

:Slither_Wing:
Slither Wing @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz

:Toxapex:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Toxic
- Chilling Water
- Recover

Right now i believe that all of these mons are very good, or at least viable. I have also been using Electrode-H and Slither Wing as a voltturn core and they have been very effective so far. Pex is definitely the mon i expected the least value out of but after i put it on my team for initially dealing with Sneasler, it gave me a lot more than i anticipated. Its only really terrified of fast electrics like elec-H or sandy, but it can still deal very minor chip to those mons and wittle them down. I have also been pairing it with Unaware Corviknight to deal with the multiple CM + stamina + stored power users in the tier.

free 2ac so i can run electrode and harca on a team
magic guard harcanine my beloved. also ik that cc means more coverage, but wild charge is very helpful against those pesky waters. also magic guard helectrode my beloved. chloroblast go brrrr

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
We've gotten a decent amount of responses to the survey already (~1/2 of what our total responses typically is), so I wanted to post MY (just my own, not representative of the council) opinions on some stuff I see cropping up:

:Gholdengo:
To the argument that HOME gave us more means of counterplay against Gholdengo, I say maybe. Regenvesters are more common than ever, and now we have Alolan Muk and Hisuian Goodra, which have decent type matchups in theory, but I wonder if that would actually be the case in practice, especially considering Gholdengo's reputation for adapting to all of its counterplay by mix and matching abilities + movesets. As of right now, I'm curious enough to most likely vote in favor of at least allowing a suspect test, but I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the implications of allowing a Pokemon with no less than 5-6 properly viable abilities and such an insane typing back into the tier.

:Great Tusk:
While it's true that the entry hazard control situation right now isn't ideal (and certainly has not significantly improved with Home after the transfer move cuts), it's hard to imagine a metagame with Tusk allowed where the entire thing doesn't revolve around its presence as a Regenerator user (see: what happened pre-Home). Even right now--with the metagame in a not-so-stable early post-Home state, I would argue that there's a decent amount of diversity in what Regenerator users are picked, so I'm hesitant to give another potential Tuskland metagame a try. Of course, a lot of this is theory and can't be proven/disproven without an actual suspect retest.

:Enamorus:
After building more teams and playing more games, I'd say Enamorus feels like it's definitely pushing into necessitating last resort action territory. In a relatively short time, it has adapted to blow through would-be regenvest counterplay using a mixed SFLO set, and I've even seen Choice Specs + Tinted Lens come up a few times to blow through specially defensive Glowking or Skeledirge. It seems as though the tier isn't equipped to adequately answer Enamorus--even if it's not played particularly well--so when it comes to a vote, I'll probably vote ban.

:Ursaluna:
Still pretty unconvinced with this Pokemon. I'm starting to wonder if its best sets are the ones where you don't try to cheese with Belly Drum at all and instead just run damage amp/Mold Breaker + Swords Dance, which will actually wallbreak Unaware and whatnot. Maybe I'm crazy...? But I just don't really buy that Ursaluna needs to be banned just yet. One thing is for sure, though: For being a Normal/Ground type, Ursaluna's awfully good at pressuring Corviknight (but then again, what isn't?).

2 Ability Clause
Don't have the chance to write much on this, might make a more focused post later on

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I've been trying out Electrode-H as well and I have to say... I think you're better off with something like Hadron Engine Rotom-Wash. It's faster after Scarf, has a better typing, and has the ability to cripple defensive answers it can't flat out break.

Hisuitrode has the combination of very fast with not being forced to lock into a move (assuming Life Orb) making it decent Speed control but it's not as strong as you'd like it to be, missing KO's on important Pokemon like Volcarona (even if you run Explosion yes), pretty much every viable Dragon, Chesnaught (can Belly Drum on you from full or just OHKO you if it already has), Kingambit, Thundurus, etc etc.

If it's not hitting super-effectively Electrode is disappointingly weak, and while STAB Volt Switch helps make up for some of this by enabling Electrode to behave as a fast pivot as well as a revenge killing tool it's nothing other Electric types (Rotom) don't have.

I'm not saying Electrode-H is unusable, just that it's largely outclassed. And please don't mention any set besides Magic Guard.

Arcanine-Hisui is legit tho.

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Screenshot_20230609-092031-542.png

I think i might be the only person to at some point have been above 1500 elo with a corvless team

During the couple of months leading to homecoming I decided that i should quit trying to pivot into my breakers and instead break with the entire team. In other words: run hyper offense

My first forray into ho was a team that would end up being this: https://pokepast.es/3d3dfdfcf0e0c970

Ill start the full team dissection by order of whod you see first when you faced it

:iron treads:
Tthhee ppaarrttyy (Iron Treads) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Refrigerate
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Let's get this party started right
Let's get drunk and freaky fly
You with me so it's all right
We gonna stay up the whole night
Let's get this party started right

Let's get drunk and freaky fly

At first i wanted this to be a hazard stack heavy team, so i wanted a dual hazard lead. However, I also did not want to trade hazards at all because I was using a Non Mg LO fire type, so this lead me through a lot of shitmons that could set hazards, have taunt to stop other hazards, defog and setup, and could in some way scare at least one of the two good spinners in the tier. After going through mons such as toedscruel and primeape, i settled with Fridge Future Donphan. It only has rocks, but Fridge spin means it can almost always guarantee that it will die without hazards on its side, unlike prankster taunt which couldn't stop Ting-Lu, it can scare opposing non EE future donphans between EQ and Sash, and knock gives it a lot of value bc its knock. In practice, you could often get a lot of value from it bc people often assume it was something I wanted to preserve, so theyd lead Inteleon, uturn thinking i would switch out, and then end up with me getting rocks up, chunking one of their attackers and knocking their corv.

:iron moth:
Fire (Iron Moth) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hadron Engine
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Acid Spray
- Discharge

It sets the world on fire (fire)
It sets the world on fire (fire)
Feeling the fever taking over

Hadron Engine Future Volcarona was the fucking reaper pre-home, and the reason I wanted to build hazard stack in the first place. Between all its coverage moves and the raw power of them it had very little stops. Common av regen mons Garchomp and paldean megamence were both weak to dazz, most other fire resists disliked discharge, and other common specially defensive mons not taking Fire Blast very well. You almost never have the need to click the fourth slot so you have some freedom on what can it be. I personally like Acid Spray Bc its great vs mono attacking cm Big Jigglypuff even after it has ammased multiple boosts, and bc Acid Spray + Dazzling Gleam has a 34% ish chance of Koing Av Chomp whereas Two dazzling gleams do not, although Energy ball is also a good choice for beating sand stream garg, although i have a lot of mons to pressure it.

:garchomp:
Stop (Garchomp) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 152 HP / 132 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Liquidation
- Fire Fang

Baby, but all the nights and days we spent together
(Together)
It's so easy to forget how to surrender

But nothing's ever stopped

Moldy Chomp is a hard to stop breaker that has no true counters, only soft checks. Once it gets a Swords Dance It can 1v1 any defensive pokemon barring Iron Press Corv. However, getting that first Sd can be somewhat tough between not being immediately threatening to many defensive staples pre home and using its defensive prowess to setup can be tricky because it has less investment than your average chomp and it doesn't have regen. But moldy is too consistent to pass up. Break any corb with enough determination and boosts, beat unaware, generally be a bitch, its too good. It used to be tablets Chomp, which is almost like if sd chomp had its own Reflect up. You could set up with little fear and stayed in with the same confidence against random attackers. However, between immunity/Fluffy corb and big Jigglypuff it sometimes could not break and the team could struggle, so i chose to have a more consistent matchup vs the defensive core than the offensive. It serves as a fine fire switchin regardless and can pivot into choice locked Ground Magneton as well. I like liquidation over stone edge bc it does more to ground types and it still hits the common stone edge targets hard, and its evd to be faster than jolly ceruledge, guarantee the 2hko at +2 on corv with Ffang, and the rest is dumped in Hp.

:slither wing:
DVNO (Slither Wing) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 212 HP / 88 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- First Impression

It's always the same
Always ashamed storytelling
When I can come in

To a hopeless troglodyte

Initially, this was regen band as to break and have some defensive utility, but as time went on i realized i needed a more definitive way to beat faster stuff and non tinted first impression wasnt cutting it, so i ended up coming up with this. I already posted about it before, but switches into other Future volcaronas, grounds, dark types and can threaten them fine with CC. Enough attack to guarantee an ohko on jolteon, which might as well since its only a bit bulkier than barraskewda, who was actually somewhat relevant, faster than scarf Armarouge, although you can't ohko it even with max attack eq, and the rest in hp. It has first impression becaude it crucially was my one switchin vs meow, and if it gets knocked it cant check jack because it takes a bit under 50 from almost everything it checks.

:roaring moon:
Randy (Roaring Moon) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Dragon
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- U-turn

When you know you've arrived
And it's time, don't shoot low
Aim at high

Randy is a cleaner. Its fast, it has uturn, its strong, and I like it the most over other pokemon with those qualities because its not weak to rocks and has some defensive utility. It can switch into some special attacks in a pinch and notably is one of the few ways this team has of losing less to kilowattel. It might not be the best fit for this team, maybe a steel type like wbb gambler might be better, but at the end of the day i stuck with it.

:skeledirge:
Phantom Pt. II (Skeledirge) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 212 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Slack Off

listen to Phantom part I and II they're really good

As a team with a suicide hazard lead, this team doesn't want their hazards to be spun. And since the entire team is either weak to fairy or weak to psychic, it lost to clicker big Jiggs pretty hard. Dirge solves both these problems to some extent. It can check and spinblock quaq and it can take a pixi boomburst and setup. Substitute can make it a very annoying breaker if the opponent wasnt running Paldean Megamence, as it is the only pokemon that can break its sub without fearing any of its attacks too much. It even kinda helps against talonflame! However, you can tell it isnt running max defense, notably struggling to keep up if the quav is mglo Brave Bird, and if you dont invest in special attack youll also miss it, somewhat struggling to make defensive big jiggs care about its shadow balls, on top of that, it does absolutely nothing to Paldean Mence, so it cant get anywhere with it on the screen. It has an odd hp value to make four subs from full, enough speed to outrun uninvested corv, and enough defense evs to guarantee salt cure wont break sub.

Your general plan is to lead Tthhee Ppaarrttyy, spin if theyre faster than you, rocks if theyre not, try to die with rocks up and with none on your side. Once it dies, go to Stop or Fire and try to get breaking Asap, choose what to sack wisely, what to risk, what youll need, etc.

Some replays of the team in action:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9almostanyability-1865396986

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9almostanyability-1853231513

This team was fun and all, but it did have some terrible matchups

:talonflame: :kilowattrel:
This team gets mauled by the fast birds. Not even wild charge from DVNO at max attack could guarantee an OHKO on Talonflame, and everything else did not enjoy switching in nor could they outspeed it. Chomp could somewhat 1v1 either, but they could choose to pivot out, and talonflame could burn you to just win, and you still took like 50% from bbird and a bit over 40% from anything wattrel could throw at you. Dirge could help vs Talon but it didnt take bbirds very well, and shadow ball did not 2hko if you weren't max Spa instead of max defense, and max defense didn't take it that much better

:roaring moon:
The second this clicked any dragon move that wasnt Dtail and you were with a foot in a grave. Be it a dragon attack, which you had no switchin for and KOd DVNO with any chip, meaning you couldnt scare it away easily anymore, or DDance, meaning it probably was some weird bulky set that DVNO's somewhat weak Close Combat could not force out. It could be pretty scary to think that you could lose from something like that, but you had no choice really.

As previously stated, this team is Pre-HOME, so some of the tech is now obsolete, but its still a fine study on some general strategies as well as the meta back then, and some of its concepts are still relevant, specifically that moldy ground types are pretty good. Ive had my fun with this team

Last edited:
I've been trying out Electrode-H as well and I have to say... I think you're better off with something like Hadron Engine Rotom-Wash. It's faster after Scarf, has a better typing, and has the ability to cripple defensive answers it can't flat out break.

Hisuitrode has the combination of very fast with not being forced to lock into a move (assuming Life Orb) making it decent Speed control but it's not as strong as you'd like it to be, missing KO's on important Pokemon like Volcarona (even if you run Explosion yes), pretty much every viable Dragon, Chesnaught (can Belly Drum on you from full or just OHKO you if it already has), Kingambit, Thundurus, etc etc.

If it's not hitting super-effectively Electrode is disappointingly weak, and while STAB Volt Switch helps make up for some of this by enabling Electrode to behave as a fast pivot as well as a revenge killing tool it's nothing other Electric types (Rotom) don't have.

I'm not saying Electrode-H is unusable, just that it's largely outclassed. And please don't mention any set besides Magic Guard.

Arcanine-Hisui is legit tho.
While I do agree that Electrode misses out on KO's, I don't agree with the fact that Washtom is better.

Washtom may have ever so slightly more speed & more breaking power, however Electrode

- Is almost as fast
- Is not locked into a move
- Is Immune to chip/hazards
- Doesn't rely on a very innacurate move (95% compared to 80%)
- Can run other utility like TWave, Taunt, Protect, and Leech Seed
- Has a cooler design (Washtom looks like an obese dishwasher)

PS. Rotom is also walled by every dragon ever (-garchomp)
PSS. Chesnaught is bad

:zapdos-galar:
Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Tera Type: Fighting
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Thunderous Kick
- Brave Bird

I feel like scrappy has always been a surprise/fringe ability, but I think it has real value in the intim corv and EE dirge meta. It is able to reliably two shot both if they switch in on it, or is able to clean up rlly well against them. This set doesn't fair well against tablets of ruin & fluffy corvs, but you wouldn't use a physical breaker for those sets anyway. It is also able to hit many other things in the meta hard, so it has more use outside of KOing those two. This set basically helps it do what it usually does but more. Been having fun with it and it def has the surprise factor which is great, but even after that it still hits like a truck.

LordBox

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Isaiah isn't representative of the whole council so I'd also like to post my thoughts on seeming demand for a potential resuspect for Gholdengo, Great Tusk and even 2AC (and some other random stuff that popped up in survey so far)? As well as my reasoning for voting ban on every single mon in the last slate, even if a bit late.

1686375276988.png

I wasn't entirely set on a Great Tusk quickban last time and the entire reasoning for it and would've preferred a suspect test so I'm fine enough it going for a resuspect. However, for the people who really want to push a Great Tusk resuspect, like I said before, there should be an actual case laid out for a resuspect? Either disagreeing with the original quickban reasoning or actually showing why the new content introduced in Home would affect Great Tusk (which I don't see much within Home to augment it being extremely centralising). Yes, it would be nice to have some more hazard removal and also another consistent defensive piece but that also applied pre-Home.

1686375646916.png

I'm not convinced on a Gholdengo resuspect and I was firmly on the side of a Gholdengo ban the last time it came around. Home brings some new RegenVest mons that potentially help check Gholdengo or at least it's more defensive variants I suppose? That being said offensive variants like Beads of Ruin and MGLO aren't really hindered by them that much. I've run the calcs before and they aren't pretty as Goodra-Hisui dies to Focus Blast (or even just Hex given it can't OHKO back) and both Meloetta and A-Muk don't take kindly to Make It Rain or Steel Beams. But hey I guess people are desperate for an easily slappable mon that holds so much offensive and defensive utility in one slot which I guess is fair.

1686376114801.png
1686376141596.png

Not as popular compared to the demand for Gholdengo and Great Tusk, most likely because they actually bring something of value to the tier, I did see the Ghosts brought up a few times as potentially testable. Zoro-H I'd imagine, broken. Looking at the three candidates to check it, Meloetta dies to U-turn/Knock easily, Goodra-H gets slapped around easily by MGLO variants and also dies to +2 SFLO Focus Blast and A-Muk the closest thing to an answer similarly gets Knocked and continously U-turned around (or worse blown up by Specs variants/Tricked by Scarf variants). Gengar maaayyy just be okay as it less options without Knock and U-turn against Meloetta and A-Muk (Goodra-H still is useless though) but I'm still afraid of just Trick sets that can ruin them (although is more limiting for Gengar as well).

1686376459315.png

In terms of potential ban-worthy mons, Chien-Pao has also come up more than a few times. Chien-Pao is definitely a strong mon although I would only barely support a suspect and maybe not even? Intim Corviknight is obviously one common check as well as defensive Quaquaval variants. More importantly, however Chien-Pao is an extremely linear mon with set drawbacks, that being its Choice-lock and SR weakness. Ok and lets be real here, no one cares about MGLO or Dazzling sets, if you're talking about Chien-Pao being problematic it's really the Choice Band set as the rest are too weak to care much about. One, like I said before, it has common checks. Granted they are still somewhat limited but are popular and good and Chien-Pao can break through them, but you need a good amount of play or support to do so and at that point an immense amount of mons are dangerous with "support" or really good play. It's on a timer with its inherent rocks weakness that can make it hard to get on the field and necessitate extra support and also being mostly Choiced means worst case they can also play around with common resists like Kingambit. More-so it's more a problem with how weird Physical counterplay is and how centralising Corviknight is, Slither Wing and Kingambit also being very strong Physical mons that can pressure or even beat Corv with decent play/support and hence most Physical counterplay and no one is talking about them. Granted Pao is also super fast which can make it harder to play around but Gambit also has Sucker and Slither can far more consistently break Corv and has FI even (and both lacking a SR weakness and hence less support).

1686377186457.png
1686377198140.png
1686377219966.png

Belly Drum and Ursuluna are linked very closely so I'll just talk about both of them here. Firstly, Belly Drum. While I dislike Belly Drum vehemently, there is also approximately no chance Belly Drum will be banned from the tier. This has already been gone through quite thoroughly by Isaiah here with consistency in tiering policy so ultimately we are limited to taking action on the individual abusers or Triage.

About Ursuluna, I will remind those who criticise the council for not banning Ursuluna but banning Hariyama that the council is not a cohesive conglomerate. Both DFM and myself voted ban and Atha presumably abstained due to not having confidence in knowing the new meta which is fair enough while the others who voted DNB didn't even agree with the old Hariyama ban in the first place. Regarding why I voted to ban Ursuluna (and still wish to) I just find Belly Drum + Triage to be uncompetitive and unhealthy to the metagame as a whole, particularly in the hands of an extremely bulky abuser. Yes there are obviously hard counters but it absolutely forces them onto every team given Triages +3 priority which is kinda dumb, but I have gone over this long enough in previous posts.

1686377852973.png
1686377868543.png

2 Ability Clause has also come up more than a few times within the survey. While I'm not going to make an incredibly long post to stick my neck out for it, I do support a 2AC metagame and potential resuspect although it would be a heavy upheaval to the metagame. I understand from the previous surveys that many heavily dislike a 2AC, or well more accurately, double Regen metagame. That being said I have no clue why? UT made the case that 1AC is just more consistent than a random number like 2 which is fair... although that doesn't explain an actually dislike for a 2AC metgame. I think some people dislike it off the basis of it making games stagnant and were far too hard to break through, however I never found that the case at least in the G8 metagame. I never found it that difficult if you were using a team which some thought put into it and wasn't into a horrendous MU, you still have many very powerful breakers, and chip damage while less significant could still very well help turn the tides when played and positioned well. Yes the double Regenerator cores were overwhelming popular and I guess centralising? But Regen itself is still found on nearly every single team and you've become a lot more restricted with what you can truly use Regenerator on given you want the utmost value out of it and such why you've seen many old Regen sets die out and only a few dominant Regen mons prevailing within the metagame (like Regen Chomp and now the few other RegenVesters like Melo/Goodra-H that suffocate the slot).

1686378645746.png

While this was only brought up once in the survey, I have seen it brought up a few times just within the Discord and OM room so I want to dispel it here. If Tera is freed it will be over my dead body LOL. That mechanic was broken enough in a meta where you could double your defenses which was somewhat absurd itself even if I liked the meta. Now it only would be horrendously and ABSURDLY broken. You could Tera your wall sure but that doesn't mean help much with the fact my Slither Wing now hits harder than it would with Gorilla Tatics or against a Kingambit that suddenly can shed its defensive typing and boost to +4/+6 easily. Oh you have an Unaware Fairy? Great that Fluffy RMoon is useless right? WRONG it Tera Steels, traps you, boosts up to +6, Taunts you to death and sweeps your whole team. You think Ursuluna was hard to revenge kill now? Now your SE coverage is resisted and it's dead and you get swept or maybe you think your bulky Volc/Moltres can surely take 1 DPunch and Wisp? Also wrong as Chesnaught reveals Tera Fighting/Fire and you've lost the game. Yeah, no thanks.

1686379320404.png

My vote to ban it might have been a bit early to call it out but still think was justified. Initially people only used generic SFLO sets which are still extremely powerful but means cplay like RegenVest Melo/AMuk can cope. However there were always ways to circumvent those sets which I believed meant Enam wasn't going to be healthy long-term. Like Isaiah said mixed Play Rough has gained popularity meaning RegenVest Melo/AMuk aren't counters. Specially defensive Fires also have the issue of Choiced Tinted Lens to deal with. Meaning any balanced/fat team that wants a chance in hell against Enam needs to run most likely at least 2 answers to it which is pretty stupid. My vote obviously remains BAN if comes up again on the voting slate.

I'll give my two cents about a bunch of stuff it's being talked about now. No images because I can't be bothered rn, I need to do stuff.
Gholdengo & Great Tusk: nah, the meta did not change so much to make it worth have 1/2 months of these two back and then having them banned again. We're much happier without them.
-
2AC: I'll have to take the survey yet and I will write this there, but please do NOT free 2AC.
PROS
- Defensive core become more easy and literally BRAINLESS to do.
- We can have 2 MGLO mons I guess? Or 2 SFLO? And you won't need to create two teams each time. But let's be real, there are 4 people that care about that. And a half, I'd put 2 SFLO in my teams LMAO.
CONS
- AAA is a tier where imagination can flow freely. 2AC will put a stop to that. Every team will literally be the same. "2 regens, 4 free mons". At least now it's just one. So, less creativity will come with it.
- Teambuilding: I hate it. And yet, I am almost having fun this gen while doing it exactly because I (we) need to THINK about the team and not just create one in literally 3 minutes. Now, teambuilding is not playing, so you won't waste too much time on it, but it's not that much time honestly, not even for a bad teambuilder like I am.
- More centralizing. Yeah, regens are everyone rn and for a good reason, but at least 1AC also rewards good play from everyone. 2AC would make everyone just circle through their regens and call it a day.
-
I hope I will be able to come up with more cons, I'm in a haste RN.

LordBox

I'll give my two cents about a bunch of stuff it's being talked about now. No images because I can't be bothered rn, I need to do stuff.
Gholdengo & Great Tusk: nah, the meta did not change so much to make it worth have 1/2 months of these two back and then having them banned again. We're much happier without them.
-
2AC: I'll have to take the survey yet and I will write this there, but please do NOT free 2AC.
PROS
- Defensive core become more easy and literally BRAINLESS to do.
- We can have 2 MGLO mons I guess? Or 2 SFLO? And you won't need to create two teams each time. But let's be real, there are 4 people that care about that. And a half, I'd put 2 SFLO in my teams LMAO.
CONS
- AAA is a tier where imagination can flow freely. 2AC will put a stop to that. Every team will literally be the same. "2 regens, 4 free mons". At least now it's just one. So, less creativity will come with it.
- Teambuilding: I hate it. And yet, I am almost having fun this gen while doing it exactly because I (we) need to THINK about the team and not just create one in literally 3 minutes. Now, teambuilding is not playing, so you won't waste too much time on it, but it's not that much time honestly, not even for a bad teambuilder like I am.
- More centralizing. Yeah, regens are everyone rn and for a good reason, but at least 1AC also rewards good play from everyone. 2AC would make everyone just circle through their regens and call it a day.
-
I hope I will be able to come up with more cons, I'm in a haste RN.
You make it sound like during G8 all people did was circle through their Regen mons and that gameplay and teambuilding was braindead and extremely similar though? Which is just blatantly not true, otherwise why were so many different teams that came out of Gen 8? Cycling through Regen obviously isn't going to be all people do, how the hell would you make progress? Good play was rewarded just as much as it is now, I don't see why it wouldn't?

You make it sound like during G8 all people did was circle through their Regen mons and that gameplay and teambuilding was braindead and extremely similar though? Which is just blatantly not true, otherwise why were so many different teams that came out of Gen 8? Cycling through Regen obviously isn't going to be all people do, how the hell would you make progress? Good play was rewarded just as much as it is now, I don't see why it wouldn't?
yeah i played quite a bit of G8 AAA and it wasn’t nearly as bad as lynhe made it sound. sure regen cycling was annoying but not a hUge problem yk?

Ah yeah, of course I wrote that in the worst way possible, lmao. My bad.
It didn't happen as often, but every single time it did, it was booooring. Either you had the correcy mons, or you needed to play very well (aka without mistakes) for like 15+ turns to make progress. Something I disliked heavily.
I personally prefer the situation we have right now with 1AC, it removes that possibility of "stalling" in the most heh way possible and, personally, I prefer the type of skill we need now to both make progress and to stop progress, even if it's not perfect.
Again, I apologize for not making myself more clear, I also enjoyed gen8AAA by and large.

So, since everyone is talking about how Ursaluna is not that good, I decided to have fun with it.

Ursaluna @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Double-Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

With a Jolly Nature it reaches 438 speed under terrain. I know it's not that fast, in the sense that this should NOT be your (only) speed control pokemon, but it does catch off guard enough things that think that they can hit it hard and be safe from retaliation. I use Life Orb because CB is too easy to play around, especially with Corviknight being literally on every team bar one of mine.
Other moves
If you want to set up (but imho this is not the best set for it), it has both Bulk Up and Sword Dance.
Thunder Punch, Close Combat: These are two viable damaging moves to actually hurt stuff that it can block UL. Mainly WBB Corviknight, and either WBB or EE Kingambit/other steels. They're both a 2hko at +2 on WBB Corviknight, but watch out for Iron Defense. To be honest, bring something else to deal with Corviknight imho.
Play Rough, Drain Punch, Seed Bomb, Shadow Claw, Gunk Shot, Earthquake, Stone Edge: I mean, these are all viable, but I'm not sure if they're better than dual stab + Ice/Fire/Thunder Punch/Close Combat or setup. It depends on the team composition for sure. Shadow Claw/Stone Edge can hit Earth Eater Skeledirge, if needed.
Taunt, Yawn: I guess you have have nice shenaningans with these two. Not the best, but for the memes we can do whatever. Taunt can stop defensive mons that want to stop it with WoW/Iron Defense or something like that, but at that point the set this has to run is something else and not a "speedy" one with Surge Surfer.
----
Have fun with the set! I'm for sure happy with the results. Enough to try and change the team to work a bit better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)