Ladder Almost Any Ability

Thank you Bummer for the amazing banner! :)

Welcome to the fourth installment of the Almost Any Ability (AAA) thread! This will be the main discussion hub for AAA in ORAS, used for all sorts of metagame discussion and any questions about the tier. AAA already has a permanent ladder on the main server, and is easy to play! If you want to discuss the meta on PS! or try to find an AAA tournament your best bet is the Other Metagames room.

What is AAA?
AAA plays just like standard OU with a simple twist - your Pokemon can swap out their normal abilities for almost any ability of your choosing (banned abilities below)! This opens the door to a very unique metagame, and a host of fascinating sets.

Note: All standard OU clauses apply, in addition:

Banned Abilities:
(you can still use these on their original users)
  • Arena Trap
  • Contrary
  • Fur Coat
  • Huge Power
  • Illusion
  • Imposter
  • Parental Bond
  • Protean
  • Pure Power
  • Simple
  • Speed Boost
  • Wonder Guard
Ability Clause: Limit two of each ability per team

Banned Pokemon:

Archeops
Bisharp
Chatot
Dragonite
Keldeo
Kyurem-Black
Mamoswine
Regigigas
Shedinja
Slaking
Smeargle
Snorlax
Suicune
Terrakion
Weavile

Unbanned Pokemon:

Aegislash
Blaziken
Deoxys-Defense
Deoxys-Speed
Genesect
Greninja
Landorus-I

Banned Moves:
  • Dynamic Punch
  • Zap Cannon
Council:

I have assembled a 5 man council to run the metagame. All council members are excellent AAA battlers, and will vote on what will or will not be suspected (or banned directly if decided). While you may give your opinions on why something is or isn't ban-worthy prior to the council's decision, decisions made by the council are final unless the council is convinced otherwise and you may not complain about the council's decision in the thread. If you think something ought to be banned or unbanned, contact one of the council members with your concerns and they will be taken into consideration. The council is as follows:

LaxLapras
imas234
Lcass4919
motherlove
Grains of Salt

What should I post about in this thread?
  • Favorite / Innovative sets in AAA
  • Cores in AAA
  • Questions about AAA
  • How to counter [insert threat here]
  • General metagame discussion
Other useful AAA Threads!

Last edited:

All standard Ubers clauses apply, in addition:

Banned Pokémon:
Shedinja

Banned Abilities:
(you can still use these on their original users)
  • Arena Trap
  • Huge Power
  • Imposter
  • Parental Bond
  • Pure Power
  • Shadow Tag
  • Simple
  • Wonder Guard

Last edited by a moderator:
Announcement:

The AAA council is currently suspecting Chatter and will be voting soon. While the ultimate decision will not fall to the public, in my opinion it's bad policy to simply announce a ban without gauging the community's opinion and have their voice heard to possibly change some minds and the outcome of the ban. So until the decision takes place, feel free to post why you think Chatter should or should not be banned.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Announcement:

The AAA council is currently suspecting Chatter and will be voting soon. While the ultimate decision will not fall to the public, in my opinion it's bad policy to simply announce a ban without gauging the community's opinion and have their voice heard to possibly change some minds and the outcome of the ban. So until the decision takes place, feel free to post why you think Chatter should or should not be banned.
I honestly think this is a good idea, because even though Chatter is really good, using it along with Gale Wings is terrifying.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Even if it's not "broken" I think it should be banned, as it is very uncompetitive, much like SwagPlay.

i mean chatter only works on chatot without it chatot would be worthless it's like taking huge power off azumarill and gale wings of talonflame who without those would be worthless as well so i say keep it

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
i mean chatter only works on chatot without it chatot would be worthless it's like taking huge power off azumarill and gale wings of talonflame who without those would be worthless as well so i say keep it
actually, chatter works on every pokemon. its only legal on smeargle/chatot.

even though i'm apart of the council, so i've already voiced my opinions on the matter, i still feel like to be fair, i will give you all my stance on chatter and people may agree or disagree with me(with providing reasonable arguments too i hope loool). chatter is-in my opinion-broken in the same sense swagger is considered broken. it is a hax based strategy which gives chatot plenty of setup turns given you have some luck on your side, and i feel like that is a very noncompetitive aspect, especially when said move can also deal respectful damage, so not only is it hard to hit chatot, the more you switch/attempt to attack, its able to apply pressure to your team, or just abuse the confusion and set up. in my eyes, its not chatot that's broken, but rather, the method of obtaining said free turns that are.

Last edited:

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
actually, chatter works on every pokemon. its only legal on smeargle/chatot.

even though i'm apart of the council, so i've already voiced my opinions on the matter, i still feel like to be fair, i will give you all my stance on chatter and people may agree or disagree with me(with providing reasonable arguments too i hope loool). chatter is-in my opinion-broken in the same sense swagger is considered broken. it is a hax based strategy which gives chatot plenty of setup turns given you have some luck on your side, and i feel like that is a very noncompetitive aspect, especially when said move can also deal respectful damage, so not only is it hard to hit chatot, the more you switch/attempt to attack, its able to apply pressure to your team, or just abuse the confusion and set up. in my eyes, its not chatot that's broken, but rather, the method of obtaining said free turns that are.
Smeargle can't sketch chatter btw. It just can't. Ever since gen 4

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Announcement:

Monte Cristo please do this for any potential ban in the future. I understand council voting, but as kl4ng said it is just rude to the community without giving them the chance to change some minds. Whenever you think something might be broken, post here. I remember you talking about bish long before you banned it on PS, but you never even mentioned a possible suspect on the thread until you announced it was banned.

Chatter I have nothing against since Ive never lost to it (which is shocking with my luck), but it is the equivalent of swagplay and when people are running own tempo for it we have a problem. So yeah, ban chatter.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Monte Cristo please do this for any potential ban in the future. I understand council voting, but as kl4ng said it is just rude to the community without giving them the chance to change some minds. Whenever you think something might be broken, post here. I remember you talking about bish long before you banned it on PS, but you never even mentioned a possible suspect on the thread until you announced it was banned.

Chatter I have nothing against since Ive never lost to it (which is shocking with my luck), but it is the equivalent of swagplay and when people are running own tempo for it we have a problem. So yeah, ban chatter.
I'm not even apart of the council anymore. I do not have any power in this metagame. It was forcibly removed from me due to my bad leadership. Which I am trying to understand and I hope you understand lol. (no, not joking)

Anyways yeah, I hope you don't take the earlier salt filled troll post up there with chess and illuminati theories that got deleted seriously rofl.

Ban chatter. You know a move is broken if it makes a normally-useless pokemon into an S+.
Besides, if people want to use chatot so much, give it, and only it, access to Aerilate. I doubt it would be that broken, even with boomburst... Let's calc and see:

252 SpA Life Orb Aerilate Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 220-259 (54.4 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Ok that may be too much... You know what? Just ban Chatot.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Ban chatter. You know a move is broken if it makes a normally-useless pokemon into an S+.
Besides, if people want to use chatot so much, give it, and only it, access to Aerilate. I doubt it would be that broken, even with boomburst... Let's calc and see:

252 SpA Life Orb Aerilate Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 220-259 (54.4 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Ok that may be too much... You know what? Just ban Chatot.
Aerilate is something that's already banned in the first place.....

Chatter does not make Chatot S, the thing why everybody wants it banned though, is that it creates an unhealthy undesirable metagame environment where luck is more rewarded than skill.

Aerilate is something that's already banned in the first place.....

Chatter does not make Chatot S, the thing why everybody wants it banned though, is that it creates an unhealthy undesirable metagame environment where luck is more rewarded than skill.
I said S+ because it is able to "efficiently" take down every pokemon that doesn't have own tempo or shield dust.
And I said maybe give just chatot Aerilate, if it becomes the #1 OM poke, but then I saw how much it did.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
I said S+ because it is able to "efficiently" take down every pokemon that doesn't have own tempo or shield dust.
And I said maybe give just chatot Aerilate, if it becomes the #1 OM poke, but then I saw how much it did.
Unbanning via complex unban would be a terrible idea in the first place, no offense, as it would create inconsistencies and overall it would make no sense.

And no, it does not have good matchups or the best matchups, and it is not able to efficiently take down every pokemon lacking those abilities. It's a coin flip, and unlike swagger, you only have one mon to abuse it with, which is weak to rocks and faster priority. I do not want the metagame to come down to luckspam but people honestly need to adapt to new metagame threats. Chatot's not even a threat for most AAA teams imo, as it's extremely punishable on stall and priority deals with it easily. The luck factor makes it a huge problem but it's not as scary and simple as people make it out to be.

tl;dr chatot is not and never will be close to S, luck 50/50s cause problems, but people needt oadapt. I don't like an unhealthy luck filled meta either, but I think people are overreacting.

Heck in STABmons there's more pokemon that can abuse this- talonflame, fletchinder and fletchling, ad 2/3 of those are better than chatot. :/ Not saying the fact that STABmons makes it scarier is a good excuse, but I do think people overestimate 50/50 luck games with only 1 mon who's super weak to rocks and priority

I said I was calling it S rank.
Notice the air quotes on efficiently?

It may not be too OP, but it gets around Swagger being banned. I'm saying that something is wrong with it being here if it could break through entire teams

By the way, add a cosmicpasser to your team, then have all the opportunities with bulky chatot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)