Pokémon Alola Golem

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you
This is the set I run. You can use it as lead pokemon.

Alolem (Golem-Alola) @ toxic orb
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Rock Polish
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Have been running this set on showdown and it's pretty good. Rock Polish to set up the speed. Then facade get's STAB from Galvanize and extra damage from toxic orb. If you are low on health just use explosion and you can take down your opponent with you. Earthquake against electric type opponent such as Xurkitree.
Facade is a 140 bp move, double edge is 120 bp, you can run electric plate(or silk scarf(?)) and get 145 bp double edge so no need to kill yourself.. or you can run life orb and get a 130 return

I've been using:

Alola Golem @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Sp. Def / 4 HP
Adamant Nature

- Double Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

It does a decent job of setting up rocks and then exploding; my experience with it is mostly in the Battle Royal and Battle Tree though, so its competitive viability against human players hasn't been tested yet.

If you

Facade is a 140 bp move, double edge is 120 bp, you can run electric plate(or silk scarf(?)) and get 145 bp double edge so no need to kill yourself.. or you can run life orb and get a 130 return
Return+electric plate would be safest option but you're really giving up decent damage. I'm not sure if the Double Edge is the best alternative because 25% of damage dealt recoil can easily exceed 2 turns of poison damage (especially since their set has no HP investment). As a sweeping set, I wouldn't run the DE but as a HP invested wall breaker it would be a better idea.

I've been using:

Alola Golem @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Sp. Def / 4 HP
Adamant Nature

- Double Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

It does a decent job of setting up rocks and then exploding; my experience with it is mostly in the Battle Royal and Battle Tree though, so its competitive viability against human players hasn't been tested yet.
you cant use rocks with av

Just used Galvanize Golem in doubles paired with Flygon. Pretty much GG, it's like if you kill A-Golem then Flygon has high chances of DD sweeping next turn or if you kill Flygon then A-Golem Explodes. However some were already prepared for these kind of combos and the first switch-in on sight was A-Marowak (still has to watch out for Earthquake, especially if both use them).

Golem-A @ Leftovers
EVs:252 Atk / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rock Polish
- Return
- Explosion
- Earthquake
This is the best set i could think up and after a boost beats a lot of uninvested mons don't have any stat calcs but i think it beats uninvested 100 speed tier mons enjoy

Golem-A @ Leftovers
EVs:252 Atk / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rock Polish
- Return
- Explosion
- Earthquake
This is the best set i could think up and after a boost beats a lot of uninvested mons don't have any stat calcs but i think it beats uninvested 100 speed tier mons enjoy
Why run a + SpDef nature on a sweeping set? Wouldn't jolly be preferred?

Why run a + SpDef nature on a sweeping set? Wouldn't jolly be preferred?
it was speed not spd and run a jolly nature can be used for extra power or a speed nature to outspeed more i copy and pasted it though thats why didn't change every thing copied it for the format because i didn't feel like typing it all

it was speed not spd and run a jolly nature can be used for extra power or a speed nature to outspeed more i copy and pasted it though thats why didn't change every thing copied it for the format because i didn't feel like typing it all
I think "SpDef" is usually used as an abbreviation for Special Defense. I think "Spe" is common for speed.

For the offensive and Steel-trapping sets, I might recommend at least 136 speed EV's. This allows you to outspeed uninvested Celesteela, while also outspeeding A-Marowak trying to achieve the same thing. Max speed Jolly A-Marowak might also be a thing, but you speed tie at best.
252+ Atk Golem-Alola Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 314-372 (97.2 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Golem-Alola Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 390-460 (97.9 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

192 Atk Celesteela Earthquake vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Golem-Alola: 280-332 (84.5 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO ('steela has so many possible sets, so I just used the min attack investment for a chance to ohko)
I'll admit I haven't paid much attention to A-Golem (thanks Gamfreak), but I think I'll try him out soon. I know someone recommended Bulu as a partner, but does anyone think SpDefensive/Support Tsareena could work out?

mudsdale is a lackluster mon that has no recovery beside rest nobody should really use such a bad mon who is gonna be in nu or ru eventually and anyway i can use my pyukumuku, stall toxic it to death and recover till he dies
Gotta agree with legend here. Mudsdale has a great ability but a terrible movepool. The damn horse doesn't even get Stone Edge. GF literally beat that dead horse lol.

Golem is a pretty solid suicide lead with Sturdy and ability to beat most spinners/defoggers with its rock / elec coverage

Alolem (Golem-Alola) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Wild Charge
- Explosion

It's not the best lead, but its one of the only rockers in pre bank. You want to have max hp so that in case you dont get hit, you dont take as much recoil from wild charge, but 0 ivs in def and spdef are there to put you in custap range. [i heard custap is not in pre bank, but ive been using this set in there lol]
Not the best idea to use Wild Charge, it breaks Sturdy if you use it at full HP and can cost you an otherwise necessary nuke with explosion. Thunder Punch is probably the better option since it lacks recoil.

Honestly, Galvanize Alola-Golem is terrible. It's not a matter of how powerful it is, surely boosted Returns are strong, but a matter of typing and coverage. This thing is totally hopeless against Ground types which swarm right into its face and basically get a free turn of rocks or setup. Your best hope is to Toxic them on a predicted switch (you shouldn't even run Toxic) and that says everything about its viability as a physical attacker.

At best it could be an obscure trapper with the unique niche of having the possibility of removing Heatran, Scizor, Magnezone, Skarmory and Ferrothorn but even then he's not the most viable Pokémon since it dies to midly fast Heatrans and needs to run a weird mixed set with Earthquake alongside Fire Blast and Thunderbolt to effectively 2hko the other Steel Types (Skarmory laughs at Thunderpunch/Wild Charge)

Last edited:
So much hate on Galvanize.
Why trap Steel types, most of which beat it 1v1 anyway, and be forced into Wild Charge / Thuderpunch?
I don't know if anyone has learned this from Electivire yet, but running Thunderpunch as your primary Physical STAB is HORRIBLE and Wild Charge isn't the best either.
Sturdy, completely reasonable, good ability. But, it forces Thunderpunch, which as mentioned, is pitifully weak.

Galvanize, you lose Sturdy, but should we really be leaving Golem on the field when something outruns + OHKOs it?
In exchange, we gain Galvanize Return at 183 power (120*1.2*1.5), a full 32 points above Wild Charge prior to STAB and no recoil.
Explosion, obviously, is nuclear: 360 power in Singles, 270 per target in Doubles.

Yes, Golem obviously has huge problems with Ground types; but Ground also happens to be the easiest type in the game to grab an immunity to betwen Flying and Levitate. Tapu Bulu, on either player's team, also puts a damper on EQ specifically.
Galvanize Alola Golem is really unique on its typing which is pretty fantastic offensively (again, use a Flying/Levitate/Water/Grass type on your team), and not too bad defensively, it has less weaknesses (both 2x and 4x) than its regular form.
Fire Blast isn't that weird though:

0 SpA Expert Belt Golem Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 101-120 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Galvanize Golem Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 126-150 (73.2 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

tl;dr its kind of a bad trapper, though not as bad as Probopass I guess. Galvanize gives it a ton of power and imo that's all Golem really should be used for is nuclear physical Electric moves. 10 points slow for the Scarf benchmark too.

Personally, I think Galvanize is fantastic. I've actually started enjoying being able to run this thing with Air Balloon, which can buy you a vital turn or two sometimes if you want to set up a Rock Polish (or two). Rock Polish means that I've had to both drop Stealth Rock from my Golem and re-spec its secondary set of EVs from SpDef to Speed, but whatever. I love this guy.

I've been using this moveset for Doubles, and it's been working out pretty well for me so far:

Golem-A @ Air Baloon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Wide Guard
- Return
- Rock Slide
- Explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)