OU Alolan Golem [GP 2/2 QC 3/3]

[OVERVIEW]

At face value, Alolan Golem seems to be completely outclassed by Magnezone in terms of trapping Steel-types, but it finds its niche because it has several distinct advantages over Magnezone. Alolan Golem's access to Earthquake gives it the ability to trap Steel-types Magnezone can't, such as Magearna, Excadrill, other Magnezone, and most notably Heatran. Alolan Golem can also trap nearly everything Magnezone can as well, with the unfortunate exception of Kartana. With Alolan Golem being a physical attacker and having a unique Rock / Electric typing, it can check Pokemon Magnezone can't such as Zapdos. Unfortunately, Alolan Golem is still heavily overshadowed by Magnezone; Magnezone's ability to trap Kartana and check Tapu Lele, Toxapex, and Mega Pinsir are generally more useful than Alolan Golem's unique qualities. Alolan Golem is also largely useless after trapping Steel-types unlike Magnezone because it does not bring any other utility to the table. In fact, Alolan Golem can prove to be a liability after it has done its job, as many teams can easily take advantage of it with Pokemon like Landorus-T, Kartana, and Zygarde due to its poor defensive typing. Alolan Golem's Speed tier is rock bottom; it fails to outspeed anything faster than Jolly Landorus-T. Finally, while Alolan Golem's physical bulk is solid, it crumbles to most powerful special attacks due to its low Special Defense. This prevents it from switching into most of the Steel-types it needs to trap and nearly mandates Eject Button or VoltTurn support.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Wild Charge
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: Explosion / Stealth Rock / Stone Edge
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Magnet Pull
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wild Charge gives Alolan Golem a powerful STAB move and allows it to trap Celesteela and Skarmory. Earthquake is used to trap Heatran, weakened Assault Vest Magearna, Magnezone, Jirachi, and Excadrill. Fire Punch allows Alolan Golem to trap Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is mostly filler. Explosion can be used to deal a high amount of damage and gain momentum; losing Alolan Golem isn't a big deal due to its lack of utility after trapping Steel-types. Stealth Rock can be used for role compression and to give Alolan Golem utility after trapping Steel-types. Stone Edge can also be used to allow Alolan Golem to check Zapdos.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes Alolan Golem's power and gives it enough Speed to outrun Jolly Landorus-T thanks to Alolan Golem's Choice Scarf. Choice Scarf is used to allow Alolan Golem to outspeed Heatran, defensive Jirachi, and non-Choice Scarf Excadrill. Magnet Pull is mandatory to trap Steel-types.

Usage Tips
========

Unless it is absolutely needed, do not directly switch Alolan Golem into the Steel-types it needs to trap, as it can not switch into most of them. Try to come in after a sacrifice or from a teammate's U-turn or Volt Switch. The best case scenario is to try to use Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola to bring Alolan Golem in safely. Do not try to trap Magearna until it is sufficiently weakened; the same goes for Excadrill and Ferrothorn. After trapping Steel-types, feel free to sacrifice Alolan Golem, as letting in Ground-types such as Landorus-T can make Alolan Golem a liability to its team.

Team Options
========

In order for Alolan Golem to not be outclassed by Magnezone, pair Alolan Golem with Pokemon that appreciate having Magnezone, Jirachi, Heatran, and Magearna removed. Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Kartana, Serperior, and Volcarona are excellent partners for this reason. Defensive Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn appreciate Alolan Golem trapping Magnezone and Heatran. Alolan Golem appreciates VoltTurn support to get in safely against the Steel-types it needs to trap. Tornadus-T, Assault Vest Magearna, and Landorus-T make great choices for this role. Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola can also help to bring Alolan Golem in safely. Due to Alolan Golem's inability to trap Kartana, an answer to Kartana such as Amoonguss, Tornadus-T, or Zapdos is appreciated. Finally, since Alolan Golem invites in practically every Ground-type in the tier for free, make sure to have solid counterplay to them. Clefable, Tapu Bulu, and Landorus-T are all good examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Volt Switch seems appealing to gain momentum, but it tends to fall flat in practice due to the fact that most teams have Ground-types and Alolan Golem isn't particularly threatening to many Pokemon. Toxic can be used to cripple Ground-types that try to switch into Alolan Golem.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Due to Alolan Golem's shallow movepool and typing, practically every Ground-type causes it problems in some way. Zygarde, Gastrodon, defensive Landorus-T, Quagsire, Mega Swampert, Gliscor, Garchomp, and Mega Garchomp all hard counter Alolan Golem due to their typings and bulk and can all easily OHKO it with their Ground-type STAB attacks. Offensive Landorus-T, Nidoking, Mega Camerupt, and Mamoswine all can take a hit and OHKO back. Zygarde deserves a special mention due to it hard countering Alolan Golem and easily using it as setup fodder.

**Faster Pokemon**: Due to Alolan Golem's poor Speed, Pokemon like Kartana, Ash-Greninja, and Mega Medicham easily outrun Alolan Golem and OHKO it.

**Grass-types**: Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth all can easily switch into Alolan Golem and retaliate with Giga Drain. Kartana easily outspeeds Alolan Golem and OHKOes it with Leaf Blade. Tapu Bulu can also take a hit with ease and OHKO Alolan Golem with Horn Leech.

**Physically Bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon like Clefable, Chansey, Mew, and Mega Sableye wall Alolan Golem with ease and simply stall it out.

Last edited:
i think eq should be higher cause one of alolem's biggest selling points over mag is the ability to trap tran. eject button users like alomomola pex moong should be teammates.

adamant can probably be run; you still outspeed everything you need to trap except for like jolly non scarf drill but thats rare, but it lets you 1v1 celesteela a lot better, among other things.

252+ Atk Golem-Alola Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Celesteela: 246-290 (61.9 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Leech Seed recovery

252 Atk Golem-Alola Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Celesteela: 224-266 (56.4 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Leech Seed recovery

Not an OU main and I am a Blacephalon supporter so there goes my disclaimer.

• Alolan Golem can trap nearly everything Magnezone can as well.
I am not sure if this is entirely accurate. Seeing how Alolan Golem is unable to trap Kartana (which is Magnezone's one of the greatest strengths) I would rephrase this or remove it. The previous bullet point already mentions threats can Alolan Golem is capable of trapping and this bullet point may sound repetitive. You do mention that Magnezone checks Kartana later on, but if you are going to mention what makes Alolan Golem justifiable over Magnezone, this bullet point should see a fix.

• Alolan Golem is also largely useless after trapping Steel-types; outside of checking a very narrow group of Pokemon, it does not bring other utility to the table. In fact, Alolan Golem can prove to be a liability after it has done its job, as it is easy to take advantage for many teams by virtue of Landorus-T, Kartana, and Ash-Greninja.
I would rather address a point on Alolan Golem's issue with its typing and bulk. Its typing is what inhibits its usefulness once it traps and removes a threat by being weak to a myriad of extremely common threats you have listed. To make this even worse, Alolan Golem can't really make a safe switch into a number of foes it intends to trap. To list a few examples, AV Magearna has around 70% chance to take out Alolan Golem with Fleur Cannon after Stealth Rock and Heatran straightup bones it with Earth Power. These situations can happen due to Alolan Golem's horrendous defensive typing and special bulk, and seeing how this makes Alolan Golem rely on safe switch-in to revenge kill a foe, what I believe is that there should be a stronger emphasis on Alolan Golem's issue with defensive capabilities and nearly mandated use of Eject Buton user in a team. If points on bulk is addressed, I suppose it will cover the last point about bulk issue. Also, about examples of threats that can take advantage of Alolan Golem, I would definitely add Zygarde, as it is the threat that you would strongly want to avoid giving free turns to.

==

move 4: Stone Edge

As others have mentioned already, the move order needs changing imo. Earthquake is what occasionally makes Alolan Golem a justifiable trapper over Magnezone and it is pretty much the identity of this set. Fire Punch should be the next move to further explain Alolan Golem's trapping capabilities. Stone Edge isn't really spammable in the tier infested with Landorus-T or other Ground-types so I would push it to the last.

To alleviate an issue of being 'useless' apart from trapping, I would add Stealth Rock somewhere. There is no need to add Stealth Rock's importance in any teams and doing something worthwhile like this is obviously appreciated by Alolan Golem's teammates. Forgoing Stone Edge for this is going to be quite painful so I would just leave a mention in Moves or preferably leave it on Other Options.

• Choice Scarf is used to allow Alolan Golem to outspeed Heatran and Sand Rush Excadrill.
This sounds like as if Choice Scarf Alolan Golem is capable of outspeeding Sand Rush Excadrill in sand, which isn't true. Also I was going to address this in Overview but I will talk about it here. Is Excadrill the most relevant option to add what threats Alolan Golem is capable of trapping? Its three most relevant sets (Suicide Lead, Sand Sweeper, and Choice Scarf) don't mind Alolan Golem too much. Suicide Lead's objective is essentially set Stealth Rock and go away, and this variant of Excadrill obviously carries a Focus Sash. The latter two Excadrill sets naturally outspeed Alolan Golem. I suppose trapping Sand Rush Excadrill after Sandstorm is gone or Choice Scarf Excadrill locked into a wrong move may be a relevant situation but overall it isn't too reliable in my opinion. I would say this should be decided in QC's domain.

==

• In order for Alolan Golem to not be outclassed by Magnezone, pair Alolan Golem with Pokemon that appreciate Magnezone, Jirachi, Heatran, and Magearna gone. Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Kartana, and Volcarona are excellent partners.
This is worded weirdly. You are not pairing those juggernauts just to make Alolan Golem usable over Magnezone... I suppose you meant "Teammates that appreciate Alolan Golem's trapping abilities are A, B, C and so on and teammates like D, E, and F in particular appreciate removal of Heatran / AV Magearna, which Magnezone isn't capable of doing".

On the examples of teammates, I would add Serperior. It is one of the teammates suggested by a user who nominated Alolan Golem in VR thread and it obviously appreciates the removal of Heatran. I'm not entirely sure Kartana is a good example when it is capable of 2HKOing all trappable foes barring Magearna with appropriate moves, but I suppose their removal is surely helpful for Choice Scarf variants.

==

**Faster Pokemon**: Due to Alolan Golem’s poor speed tier, Pokemon like Kartana, Ash Greninja, and Mega Medicham easily outrun Alolan Golem and OHKO it.
Again, I will say something about bulk here. Even when it is not super effectively hit, Alolan Golem is very easy to dispose of by faster threats like Tapu Lele.

**Psychic-types**: Reuniclus and Mew both wall Alolan Golem with ease and can take advantage of it with Calm Mind and Defog respectively. Tapu Lele, Mega Medicham, and Mega Alakazam both outspeed Alolan Golem and can retaliate with Psychic and High Jump Kick respectively.
I am not sure if this point is relevant. Neither Mew nor Reuniclus are capable of walling Alolan Golem because of their Psychic typing, but it is because of their bulk. These examples are better served in "Physically Defensive Foes" category imo.

**Physically bulky Pokemon**: Clefable, Chansey, and Mega Sableye wall Alolan Golem with ease and simply stall it out.
Chansey isn't really a Pokemon dedicated to take physical hits. I get it is thicc enough to avoid 2HKO but I wouldn't really categorize Chansey as a physically bulky 'mon when its defining role is walling almost anything special. Mew and other stuff can fit here.

===

I apologize in advance if reading this gave you a cancer but just wanted to comment on your work! Feel free to overlook anything you don't agree with and hmu if you want to ask anything about what I posted.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
  • With Alolan Golem being a physical attacker and having a unique typing in Rock-Electric, Alolan Golem can check Pokemon Magnezone can’t such as Hoopa-U and Zapdos.

252 Atk Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Golem-Alola: 228-268 (75.7 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Golem-Alola: 340-402 (112.9 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Remove the Hoopa-U mention; Alolan Golem does not check it whatsoever.

---

• Alolan Golem’s speed tier is rock bottom; it fails to outspeed anything faster than Jolly Landorus-T.

Specify that this is with a Choice Scarf, too, not at +0.

---

In usage tips, mention the fact that it should try to come in from Eject Button Regenerator Pokemon, which you also mention in team options as specific support, as this is the main niche/application of it and it also ties in with stuff you mentioned about not bringing it in directly and it having that support in team options, so yea.

---

Throw SR in the OO

---

1/3 good work

• With Alolan Golem being a physical attacker and having a unique typing in Rock-Electric, Alolan Golem can check Pokemon Magnezone can’t such as Hoopa-U and Zapdos.

252 Atk Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Golem-Alola: 228-268 (75.7 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Golem-Alola: 340-402 (112.9 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Remove the Hoopa-U mention; Alolan Golem does not check it whatsoever.

---

• Alolan Golem’s speed tier is rock bottom; it fails to outspeed anything faster than Jolly Landorus-T.

Specify that this is with a Choice Scarf, too, not at +0.

---

In usage tips, mention the fact that it should try to come in from Eject Button Regenerator Pokemon, which you also mention in team options as specific support, as this is the main niche/application of it and it also ties in with stuff you mentioned about not bringing it in directly and it having that support in team options, so yea.

---

Throw SR in the OO

---

1/3 good work
Implemented, thanks for the check!

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alolan Golem’s speed tier is rock bottom; it fails to outspeed anything faster than non Scarf Jolly Landorus-T.
Change this to: Alolan Golem's speed tier is rock bottom; even with a Choice Scarf, it fails to outspeed anything faster than Jolly Landorus-T.

Choice Scarf is used to allow Alolan Golem to outspeed Heatran and Sand Rush Excadrill when there isn’t a sandstorm.
Change to: outspeed Heatran, defensive Jirachi, and non-Choice Scarf variants of Excadrill.

Add in Kartana answers to Team Options.

Landorus-T, Assault Vest Magearna, and Tornadus-T make great choices for the role.
Reorder this as Tornadus-T, Magearna, then Landorus-T. Keep Lando in there because it can draw in some steels, but it's not gonna be bringing in many of the quake-weak steels that you're trying to nab w/ using golem over magnezone.

In order for Alolan Golem to not be outclassed by Magnezone, pair Alolan Golem with Pokemon that appreciate Magnezone, Jirachi, Heatran, and Magearna gone. Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Kartana, and Volcarona are excellent partners.
Add Serp

Good work, qc 2/3. Make these changes and write it up before qc 3.

Change this to: Alolan Golem's speed tier is rock bottom; even with a Choice Scarf, it fails to outspeed anything faster than Jolly Landorus-T.

Change to: outspeed Heatran, defensive Jirachi, and non-Choice Scarf variants of Excadrill.

Add in Kartana answers to Team Options.

Reorder this as Tornadus-T, Magearna, then Landorus-T. Keep Lando in there because it can draw in some steels, but it's not gonna be bringing in many of the quake-weak steels that you're trying to nab w/ using golem over magnezone.

Add Serp

Good work, qc 2/3. Make these changes and write it up before qc 3.
Implemented, thank you.

Hi, before this moves any further, the slashing in the last slot should be Explosion / Stealth Rock / Stone Edge.

Explosion is pretty powerful when coming from Alolan Golem, and means it doesn't do fuck all when its trapped tran/whatever steel-type.

Stealth Rock is generally nice role compression, especially for the type of teams Alolan Golem is used on.

Stone Edge should be last slash because, it often does nothing outside of very specific matchups against Zapdos.

This has been approved by Finchinator.

Last edited:
just some thoughts regarding your writing. in general i thought everything was v good, i made one major change in combining a couple sentences in the introduction that i thought didn't flow well/repeated information. otherwise, i left some comments regarding places that i thought could be expanded on/better explained. do with this as you wish - not really super used to the gp format so lmk if something doesn't make sense or isn't readable. thanks

red is remove blue is add bolded is my comments
[OVERVIEW]

At face value, Alolan Golem seems to be completely outclassed by Magnezone in terms of trapping Steel-types. Thankfully, Alolan Golem finds its niche by boasting several advantages over it. Alolan Golem's access to Earthquake gives it the ability to trap Steel-types Magnezone can't, such as Magearna, Excadrill, other Magnezone, and most notably, Heatran. Alolan Golem also can trap nearly everything Magnezone can as well;, with the unfortunate exception of Kartana. With Alolan Golem bei's strength as a physical attacker and having a unique typing in Rock- / Electric, Alolan Golem can typing allow it to check Pokemon Magnezone can’t't, such as Zapdos. Unfortunately, Alolan Golem is still heavily overshadowed by Magnezone; as Magnezone's abilitiesy to trap Kartana and check Tapu Lele, Toxapex, and Mega Pinsir are generally more useful than Alolan Golem's unique qualities. Alolan Golem is also largely useless after trapping Steel-types unlike Magnezone; outside of checking a very narrow group of Pokemon,because it does not bring other utility to the table. In fact, Alolan Golemd can prove to be a liability after it has done its job, as it is easy to take advantage for many teams by virtue of. Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Kartana, and Zygarde can take advantage of Alolan Golem due to its poor defensive typing. (“by virtue of” is a vague phrase, perhaps expand on how exactly these mons take advantage? From my uninformed/non-pokemon playing pov it would also seem that zygarde and land-t also can take advantage of magnezone so maybe something to add there??) Alolan Golem's speed tier is rock bottom; it fails to outspeed anything faster than Jolly Landorus-T. (do you need to include this is with a choice scarf? Idk if that’s something obvious the reader should expect already tho) Finally, while Alolan Golem's physical bulk is solid, it crumbles to most powerful special attacks due to its low sSpecial dDefense. This prevents it from switching into most of the Steel-types it needs to trap, and nearly mandates Eject Button or VolttTurn support.

[SET]
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Spd / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wild Charge gives Alolan Golem a powerful STAB move and allows it to trap Celesteela and Skarmory. Earthquake is used to trap Heatran, weakened Assault Vest Magearna, Magnezone, Jirachi, and Excadrill. Fire Punch allows Alolan Golem to trap Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is mostly filler. Explosion can be used to deal a high amount since of damage and gain momentum; losing Alolan Golem isn't a big deal due to its lack of utility after trapping Steel-types. Stealth Rock can be used for role compression (not sure this is the best phrase since I don’t think its meaning is super clear – does it mean as an alternative SR setter or additional setter?) and to give Alolan Golem utility after trapping Steel-types. Stone Edge can also be used to allow Alolan Golem to check Zapdos. (you say in the intro that a-golem’s typing allow it to check zapdos already, so this sentence makes it seem like you need edge to check it, which creates a contradiction in my eyes. Maybe you mean to say “better deal with” zapdos)

Set Details
========

The EV spread maximizes Alolan Golem's power and gives it enough speed to outrun Jolly Landorus-T with Alolan Golem’s Choice Scarf. Choice Scarf is used to allow Alolan Golem to outspeed Heatran, defensive Jirachi, and non-Choice Scarf Excadrill. Magnet Pull is mandatory to trap Steel-types.

Usage Tips
========

Unless if absolutely needed, do not directly switch Alolan Golem into the Steel-types it needs to trap, as it cannot switch into most of them. Try to come in after Volt Switch or U-turn from teammates or a sacrifice. BIn the best-case scenario, try to use Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola. Do not try to trap Magearna until it is sufficiently weakened; the same goes for Excadrill and Ferrothorn. After trapping Steel-types, feel free to sacrifice Alolan- Golem, as letting in Ground-types, such as Landorus-T, can make Alolan Golem a liability to its team.

Team Options
========

In order for Alolan Golem to not be outclassed by Magnezone, pair Alolan Golem with Pokemon that appreciate Magnezone, Jirachi, Heatran, and Magearna gone. Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Kartana, Serperior, and Volcarona are excellent partners for this reason. Defensive Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn appreciate Alolan Golem trapping Magnezone and Heatran. Alolan Golem appreciatwelcomes (for variety but not super necessary) VolttTurn support to get in safely against Steel-types it needs to trap. Tornadus-T, Assault Vest Magearna, and Landorus-T make great choices for the role. Due to Alolan Golem's inability to trap Kartana, an answer to Kartana is appreciated. Amoonguss, Tornadus-T, and Zapdos are good examples. Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola can also help to bring in Alolan Golem safely. Finally, since Alolan Golem invites practically every Ground-type in the tier for free, make sure to have solid counterplay to them. Clefable, Tapu Bulu, and Landorus-T are all good examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Volt Switch seems appealing to gain momentum, but it tends to fall flat in practice due to the fact that most teams have Ground-types and Alolan Golem isn't particularly threatening to many Pokemon. Toxic can be used to cripple Ground-types that try to switch into Alolan Golem.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Due to Alolan Golem's shallow movepool and typing, practically every Ground-type causes it problems in some way. Zygarde, Gastrodon, defensive Landorus-T, Quagsire, Mega Swampert, Gliscor, and both formes of Garchomp all hard counter Alolan Golem bywith their typings and bulk, and easily OHKO with their Ground STAB. Offensive Landorus-Therian, Nidoking, Mega Camerupt, and Mamoswine all can take a hit from Alolan Golem and OHKO back. Zygarde deserves a special mention due to it hard countering Alolan Golem and easily using it as setup fodder.

**Faster Pokemon**: Due to Alolan Golem's poor speed tier, Pokemon like Kartana, Ash-(ah)Greninja, and Mega Medicham easily outrun Alolan Golem and OHKO it.

**Grass-types**: Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth all can easily switch into Alolan Golem and can retaliate with Giga Drain. Kartana easily outspeeds Alolan Golem and OHKOs with Leaf Balde. Tapu Bulu can also take a hit with ease and OHKO back with Horn Leech.

**Physically bulky Pokemon**: Clefable, Chansey, Mew, and Mega Sableye wall Alolan Golem with ease and simply stall it out.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

At face value, Alolan Golem seems to be completely outclassed by Magnezone in terms of trapping Steel-types, (AC) but it finds its niche because it has several distinct advantages over Magnezone. Thankfully, Alolan Golem finds its niche by boasting several advantages over it. Alolan Golem’s acess Golem's access to Earthquake gives it the ability to trap Steel-types Magnezone can’t can't, such as Magearna, Excadrill, other Magnezone, and most notably, (RC) Heatran. Alolan Golem also can trap nearly everything Magnezone can as well;, (RSC,AC) with the unfortunate exception of Kartana. With Alolan Golem being a physical attacker and having a unique Rock / Electric typing in Rock-Electric, (keep comma) Alolan Golem it can check Pokemon Magnezone can’t can't such as Zapdos. Unfortunately, Alolan Golem is still heavily overshadowed by Magnezone; Magnezone’s abilities Magnezone's ability to trap Kartana and check Tapu Lele, Toxapex, and Mega Pinsir are generally more useful than Alolan Golem’s Golem's unique qualities. Alolan Golem is also largely useless after trapping Steel-types unlike Magnezone; (RSC) outside of checking a very narrow group of Pokemon, because (this was a good suggestion from Sciatic) it does not bring any other utility to the table. In fact, Alolan Golem can prove to be a liability after it has done its job, as it is easy to take advantage for many teams by virtue of can easily take advantage of it with Pokemon like Landorus-T, Kartana, and Zygarde due to its poor defensive typing. Alolan Golem’s speed Golem's Speed tier is rock bottom; it fails to outspeed anything faster than Jolly Landorus-T. Finally, while Alolan Golem’s Golem's physical bulk is solid, it crumbles to most powerful special attacks due to its low special defense Special Defense. This prevents it from switching into most of the Steel-types it needs to trap, (RC) and nearly mandates Eject Button or Voltturn VoltTurn support.

[SET]
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Spd SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wild Charge gives Alolan Golem a powerful STAB move and allows it to trap Celesteela and Skarmory. Earthquake is used to trap Heatran, weakened Assault Vest Magearna, Magnezone, Jirachi, and Excadrill. Fire Punch allows Alolan Golem to trap Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is mostly filler. Explosion can be used to deal high amount since of damage and gain momentum; losing Alolan Golem isn’t a big deal due to its lack of utility after trapping Steel-types. Stealth Rock can be used for role compression and to give Alolan Golem utility after trapping Steel-types. Stone Edge can also be used to allow Alolan Golem to check Zapdos.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes Alolan Golem’s Golem's power and gives it enough speed Speed to outrun Jolly Landorus-T with thanks to Alolan Golem’s Golem's Choice Scarf. A Choice Scarf is used to allow Alolan Golem to outspeed Heatran, defensive Jirachi, and non-Choice Scarf Excadrill. Magnet Pull is mandatory to trap Steel-types.

Usage Tips
========

Unless if it is absolutely needed, do not directly switch Alolan Golem into the Steel-types it needs to trap, as it can not switch into most of them. Try to come in after Volt Switch or U-turn from teammates or a sacrifice or from a teammate's U-turn or Volt Switch. Best case scenario, The best case scenario is to try to use Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola to bring Alolan Golem in safely. Do not try to trap Magearna until it is sufficiently weakened; the same goes for Excadrill and Ferrothorn. After trapping Steel-types, feel free to sacrifice Alolan-Golem Alolan Golem, as letting in Ground-types such as Landorus-T can make Alolan Golem a liability to its team.

Team Options
========

In order for Alolan Golem to not be outclassed by Magnezone, pair Alolan Golem with Pokemon that appreciate having Magnezone, Jirachi, Heatran, and Magearna gone removed. Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Kartana, Serperior, and Volcarona are excellent partners for this reason. Defensive Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn appreciate Alolan Golem trapping Magnezone and Heatran. Alolan Golem appreciates Voltturn VoltTurn support to get in safely against the Steel-types it needs to trap. Tornadus-T, Assault Vest Magearna, and Landorus-T make great choices for the role. Due to Alolan Golem’s Golem's inability to trap Kartana, an answer to Kartana such as Amoonguss, Tornadus-T, or Zapdos is appreciated. Amoongus, Tornadus-T, and Zapdos are good examples. Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola can also help to bring in Alolan Golem in safely. Finally, since Alolan Golem invites pratically in practically every Ground-type in the tier for free, make sure to have solid counterplay to them. Clefable, Tapu Bulu, and Landorus-T are all good examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Volt Switch seems appealing to gain momentum, but it tends to fall flat in practice due to the fact that most teams have Ground-types and Alolan Golem isn’t isn't particularly threatening to many Pokemon. Toxic can be used to cripple Ground-types that try to switch into Alolan Golem.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Due to Alolan Golem’s Golem's shallow movepool and typing, practically every Ground-type causes it problems in some way. Zygarde, Gastrodon, defensive Landorus-T, Quagsire, Mega Swampert, Gliscor, and both formes of Garchomp, (AC) and Mega Garchomp all hard counter Alolan Golem by due to their typings and bulk and can all easily OHKO it with their Ground STAB Ground-type STAB attacks. Offensive Landorus-Therian Landorus-T, Nidoking, Mega Camerupt, and Mamoswine all can take a hit and OHKO back. Zygarde deserves a special mention due to it hard countering Alolan Golem and easily using it as setup fodder.

**Faster Pokemon**: Due to Alolan Golem’s poor speed tier Golem's poor Speed, Pokemon like Kartana, Ash Greninja Ash-Greninja, and Mega Medicham easily outrun Alolan Golem and OHKO it.

**Grass-types**: Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth all can easily switch into Alolan Golem and can retaliate with Giga Drain. Kartana easily outspeeds Alolan Golem and OHKOs OHKOes it with Leaf Balde Blade. Tapu Bulu can also take a hit with ease and OHKO back Alolan Golem with Horn Leech.

**Physically bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon like Clefable, Chansey, Mew, and Mega Sableye wall Alolan Golem with ease and simply stall it out.

1/2

add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

At face value, Alolan Golem seems to be completely outclassed by Magnezone in terms of trapping Steel-types, (AC) but it finds its niche because it has several distinct advantages over Magnezone. Thankfully, Alolan Golem finds its niche by boasting several advantages over it. Alolan Golem’s acess Golem's access to Earthquake gives it the ability to trap Steel-types Magnezone can’t can't, such as Magearna, Excadrill, other Magnezone, and most notably, (RC) Heatran. Alolan Golem also can trap nearly everything Magnezone can as well;, (RSC,AC) with the unfortunate exception of Kartana. With Alolan Golem being a physical attacker and having a unique Rock / Electric typing in Rock-Electric, (keep comma) Alolan Golem it can check Pokemon Magnezone can’t can't such as Zapdos. Unfortunately, Alolan Golem is still heavily overshadowed by Magnezone; Magnezone’s abilities Magnezone's ability to trap Kartana and check Tapu Lele, Toxapex, and Mega Pinsir are generally more useful than Alolan Golem’s Golem's unique qualities. Alolan Golem is also largely useless after trapping Steel-types unlike Magnezone; (RSC) outside of checking a very narrow group of Pokemon, because (this was a good suggestion from Sciatic) it does not bring any other utility to the table. In fact, Alolan Golem can prove to be a liability after it has done its job, as it is easy to take advantage for many teams by virtue of can easily take advantage of it with Pokemon like Landorus-T, Kartana, and Zygarde due to its poor defensive typing. Alolan Golem’s speed Golem's Speed tier is rock bottom; it fails to outspeed anything faster than Jolly Landorus-T. Finally, while Alolan Golem’s Golem's physical bulk is solid, it crumbles to most powerful special attacks due to its low special defense Special Defense. This prevents it from switching into most of the Steel-types it needs to trap, (RC) and nearly mandates Eject Button or Voltturn VoltTurn support.

[SET]
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Spd SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wild Charge gives Alolan Golem a powerful STAB move and allows it to trap Celesteela and Skarmory. Earthquake is used to trap Heatran, weakened Assault Vest Magearna, Magnezone, Jirachi, and Excadrill. Fire Punch allows Alolan Golem to trap Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is mostly filler. Explosion can be used to deal high amount since of damage and gain momentum; losing Alolan Golem isn’t a big deal due to its lack of utility after trapping Steel-types. Stealth Rock can be used for role compression and to give Alolan Golem utility after trapping Steel-types. Stone Edge can also be used to allow Alolan Golem to check Zapdos.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes Alolan Golem’s Golem's power and gives it enough speed Speed to outrun Jolly Landorus-T with thanks to Alolan Golem’s Golem's Choice Scarf. A Choice Scarf is used to allow Alolan Golem to outspeed Heatran, defensive Jirachi, and non-Choice Scarf Excadrill. Magnet Pull is mandatory to trap Steel-types.

Usage Tips
========

Unless if it is absolutely needed, do not directly switch Alolan Golem into the Steel-types it needs to trap, as it can not switch into most of them. Try to come in after Volt Switch or U-turn from teammates or a sacrifice or from a teammate's U-turn or Volt Switch. Best case scenario, The best case scenario is to try to use Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola to bring Alolan Golem in safely. Do not try to trap Magearna until it is sufficiently weakened; the same goes for Excadrill and Ferrothorn. After trapping Steel-types, feel free to sacrifice Alolan-Golem Alolan Golem, as letting in Ground-types such as Landorus-T can make Alolan Golem a liability to its team.

Team Options
========

In order for Alolan Golem to not be outclassed by Magnezone, pair Alolan Golem with Pokemon that appreciate having Magnezone, Jirachi, Heatran, and Magearna gone removed. Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Kartana, Serperior, and Volcarona are excellent partners for this reason. Defensive Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn appreciate Alolan Golem trapping Magnezone and Heatran. Alolan Golem appreciates Voltturn VoltTurn support to get in safely against the Steel-types it needs to trap. Tornadus-T, Assault Vest Magearna, and Landorus-T make great choices for the role. Due to Alolan Golem’s Golem's inability to trap Kartana, an answer to Kartana such as Amoonguss, Tornadus-T, or Zapdos is appreciated. Amoongus, Tornadus-T, and Zapdos are good examples. Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola can also help to bring in Alolan Golem in safely. Finally, since Alolan Golem invites pratically in practically every Ground-type in the tier for free, make sure to have solid counterplay to them. Clefable, Tapu Bulu, and Landorus-T are all good examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Volt Switch seems appealing to gain momentum, but it tends to fall flat in practice due to the fact that most teams have Ground-types and Alolan Golem isn’t isn't particularly threatening to many Pokemon. Toxic can be used to cripple Ground-types that try to switch into Alolan Golem.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Due to Alolan Golem’s Golem's shallow movepool and typing, practically every Ground-type causes it problems in some way. Zygarde, Gastrodon, defensive Landorus-T, Quagsire, Mega Swampert, Gliscor, and both formes of Garchomp, (AC) and Mega Garchomp all hard counter Alolan Golem by due to their typings and bulk and can all easily OHKO it with their Ground STAB Ground-type STAB attacks. Offensive Landorus-Therian Landorus-T, Nidoking, Mega Camerupt, and Mamoswine all can take a hit and OHKO back. Zygarde deserves a special mention due to it hard countering Alolan Golem and easily using it as setup fodder.

**Faster Pokemon**: Due to Alolan Golem’s poor speed tier Golem's poor Speed, Pokemon like Kartana, Ash Greninja Ash-Greninja, and Mega Medicham easily outrun Alolan Golem and OHKO it.

**Grass-types**: Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth all can easily switch into Alolan Golem and can retaliate with Giga Drain. Kartana easily outspeeds Alolan Golem and OHKOs OHKOes it with Leaf Balde Blade. Tapu Bulu can also take a hit with ease and OHKO back Alolan Golem with Horn Leech.

**Physically bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon like Clefable, Chansey, Mew, and Mega Sableye wall Alolan Golem with ease and simply stall it out.

1/2
Implemented.

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

At face value, Alolan Golem seems to be completely outclassed by Magnezone in terms of trapping Steel-types, but it finds its niche because it has several distinct advantages over Magnezone. Alolan Golem's access to Earthquake gives it the ability to trap Steel-types Magnezone can't, such as Magearna, Excadrill, other Magnezone, and most notably Heatran. Alolan Golem also can also trap nearly everything Magnezone can as well, with the unfortunate exception of Kartana. With Alolan Golem being a physical attacker and having a unique Rock / Electric typing, it can check Pokemon Magnezone can't such as Zapdos. Unfortunately, Alolan Golem is still heavily overshadowed by Magnezone; Magnezone's ability to trap Kartana and check Tapu Lele, Toxapex, and Mega Pinsir are generally more useful than Alolan Golem's unique qualities. Alolan Golem is also largely useless after trapping Steel-types unlike Magnezone because it does not bring any other utility to the table. In fact, Alolan Golem can prove to be a liability after it has done its job, as many teams can easily take advantage of it with Pokemon like Landorus-T, Kartana, and Zygarde due to its poor defensive typing. Alolan Golem's Speed tier is rock bottom; it fails to outspeed anything faster than Jolly Landorus-T. Finally, while Alolan Golem's physical bulk is solid, it crumbles to most powerful special attacks due to its low Special Defense. This prevents it from switching into most of the Steel-types it needs to trap and nearly mandates Eject Button or VoltTurn support.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wild Charge gives Alolan Golem a powerful STAB move and allows it to trap Celesteela and Skarmory. Earthquake is used to trap Heatran, weakened Assault Vest Magearna, Magnezone, Jirachi, and Excadrill. Fire Punch allows Alolan Golem to trap Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is mostly filler. Explosion can be used to deal a high amount of damage and gain momentum; losing Alolan Golem isn’t isn't a big deal due to its lack of utility after trapping Steel-types. Stealth Rock can be used for role compression and to give Alolan Golem utility after trapping Steel-types. Stone Edge can also be used to allow Alolan Golem to check Zapdos.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes Alolan Golem's power and gives it enough Speed to outrun Jolly Landorus-T thanks to Alolan Golem's Choice Scarf. A Choice Scarf is used to allow Alolan Golem to outspeed Heatran, defensive Jirachi, and non-Choice Scarf Excadrill. Magnet Pull is mandatory to trap Steel-types.

Usage Tips
========

Unless it is absolutely needed, do not directly switch Alolan Golem into the Steel-types it needs to trap, as it can not switch into most of them. Try to come in after a sacrifice or from a teammate's U-turn or Volt Switch. The best case scenario is to try to use Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola to bring Alolan Golem in safely. Do not try to trap Magearna until it is sufficiently weakened; the same goes for Excadrill and Ferrothorn. After trapping Steel-types, feel free to sacrifice Alolan Golem, as letting in Ground-types such as Landorus-T can make Alolan Golem a liability to its team.

Team Options
========

In order for Alolan Golem to not be outclassed by Magnezone, pair Alolan Golem with Pokemon that appreciate having Magnezone, Jirachi, Heatran, and Magearna removed. Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Kartana, Serperior, and Volcarona are excellent partners for this reason. Defensive Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn appreciate Alolan Golem trapping Magnezone and Heatran. Alolan Golem appreciates VoltTurn support to get in safely against the Steel-types it needs to trap. Tornadus-T, Assault Vest Magearna, and Landorus-T make great choices for the this role. Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola can also help to bring Alolan Golem in safely. Due to Alolan Golem's inability to trap Kartana, an answer to Kartana such as Amoonguss, Tornadus-T, or Zapdos is appreciated. Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola can also help to bring Alolan Golem in safely. (flows better) Finally, since Alolan Golem invites in practically every Ground-type in the tier for free, make sure to have solid counterplay to them. Clefable, Tapu Bulu, and Landorus-T are all good examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Due to Alolan Golem's shallow movepool and typing, practically every Ground-type causes it problems in some way. Zygarde, Gastrodon, defensive Landorus-T, Quagsire, Mega Swampert, Gliscor, Garchomp, and Mega Garchomp all hard counter Alolan Golem due to their typings and bulk and can all easily OHKO it with their Ground-type STAB attacks. Offensive Landorus-T, Nidoking, Mega Camerupt, and Mamoswine all can take a hit and OHKO back. Zygarde deserves a special mention due to it hard countering Alolan Golem and easily using it as setup fodder.

**Faster Pokemon**: Due to Alolan Golem's poor Speed, Pokemon like Kartana, Ash-Greninja, and Mega Medicham easily outrun Alolan Golem and OHKO it.

**Grass-types**: Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth all can easily switch into Alolan Golem and retaliate with Giga Drain. Kartana easily outspeeds Alolan Golem and OHKOs OHKOes it with Leaf Blade. Tapu Bulu can also take a hit with ease and OHKO Alolan Golem with Horn Leech.

**Physically Bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon like Clefable, Chansey, Mew, and Mega Sableye wall Alolan Golem with ease and simply stall it out.
GP 2/2

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

At face value, Alolan Golem seems to be completely outclassed by Magnezone in terms of trapping Steel-types, but it finds its niche because it has several distinct advantages over Magnezone. Alolan Golem's access to Earthquake gives it the ability to trap Steel-types Magnezone can't, such as Magearna, Excadrill, other Magnezone, and most notably Heatran. Alolan Golem also can also trap nearly everything Magnezone can as well, with the unfortunate exception of Kartana. With Alolan Golem being a physical attacker and having a unique Rock / Electric typing, it can check Pokemon Magnezone can't such as Zapdos. Unfortunately, Alolan Golem is still heavily overshadowed by Magnezone; Magnezone's ability to trap Kartana and check Tapu Lele, Toxapex, and Mega Pinsir are generally more useful than Alolan Golem's unique qualities. Alolan Golem is also largely useless after trapping Steel-types unlike Magnezone because it does not bring any other utility to the table. In fact, Alolan Golem can prove to be a liability after it has done its job, as many teams can easily take advantage of it with Pokemon like Landorus-T, Kartana, and Zygarde due to its poor defensive typing. Alolan Golem's Speed tier is rock bottom; it fails to outspeed anything faster than Jolly Landorus-T. Finally, while Alolan Golem's physical bulk is solid, it crumbles to most powerful special attacks due to its low Special Defense. This prevents it from switching into most of the Steel-types it needs to trap and nearly mandates Eject Button or VoltTurn support.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wild Charge gives Alolan Golem a powerful STAB move and allows it to trap Celesteela and Skarmory. Earthquake is used to trap Heatran, weakened Assault Vest Magearna, Magnezone, Jirachi, and Excadrill. Fire Punch allows Alolan Golem to trap Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is mostly filler. Explosion can be used to deal a high amount of damage and gain momentum; losing Alolan Golem isn’t isn't a big deal due to its lack of utility after trapping Steel-types. Stealth Rock can be used for role compression and to give Alolan Golem utility after trapping Steel-types. Stone Edge can also be used to allow Alolan Golem to check Zapdos.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes Alolan Golem's power and gives it enough Speed to outrun Jolly Landorus-T thanks to Alolan Golem's Choice Scarf. A Choice Scarf is used to allow Alolan Golem to outspeed Heatran, defensive Jirachi, and non-Choice Scarf Excadrill. Magnet Pull is mandatory to trap Steel-types.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

In order for Alolan Golem to not be outclassed by Magnezone, pair Alolan Golem with Pokemon that appreciate having Magnezone, Jirachi, Heatran, and Magearna removed. Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Kartana, Serperior, and Volcarona are excellent partners for this reason. Defensive Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn appreciate Alolan Golem trapping Magnezone and Heatran. Alolan Golem appreciates VoltTurn support to get in safely against the Steel-types it needs to trap. Tornadus-T, Assault Vest Magearna, and Landorus-T make great choices for the this role. Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola can also help to bring Alolan Golem in safely. Due to Alolan Golem's inability to trap Kartana, an answer to Kartana such as Amoonguss, Tornadus-T, or Zapdos is appreciated. Eject Button users like Toxapex and Alomomola can also help to bring Alolan Golem in safely. (flows better) Finally, since Alolan Golem invites in practically every Ground-type in the tier for free, make sure to have solid counterplay to them. Clefable, Tapu Bulu, and Landorus-T are all good examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth all can easily switch into Alolan Golem and retaliate with Giga Drain. Kartana easily outspeeds Alolan Golem and OHKOs OHKOes it with Leaf Blade. Tapu Bulu can also take a hit with ease and OHKO Alolan Golem with Horn Leech.

GP 2/2
Implemented, this is done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)