ORAS NU Ambiguous, a Dual Screen RMT

Ambiguous

This is my very first RMT, and my very first attempt at NU, a tier I've never played before. Got into it by force, since a league where I play will use this as their october metagame(alongside OU). It uses a recovery clause, which prevents the use of direct recovery moves(recover, healing wish, wish...), but allows indirect recover or recovery items(leech seed, paint split, leftovers...), making me prefer to go offense. I do train on showdown, but people with stall(UGH) hold me back from the fun of laddering more with this recover-less team. Nicknames are a tribute to GARNiDELiA, the authors of the Ambiguous song.

Teambuilding Process

I took someone who could not only set both screens, but also get momentum after it did what it was meant for.​
Then I went for hazard control, Skuntank was nice for the job as it synergized well with Mesprit.
Klinklang is already nice without screens, with screens support it just become a very offensive juggernaut that's not getting OHKOed by anything without a boost/crit.
Looking through the NU list, I saw that strong special hitter who just needed 1 turn to setup a Shell Smash and wreck everything under screens.
As a newcomer to the tier, I went to the creative/underrated sets thread and saw these nice gems by Blastral and Sweet Jesus
I lost many OHKOs due to not having rocks up. Even though Garbodor's spiking was nice, it was not enough for Sawk to properly deal with Rotom. The team also had a shining tri-ground weakness before Piloswine entering the crew.
I just forgot what that slot was for and got punished really bad. Went for a poke who could do the jobs Piloswine and Skuntank were meant for, Sandslash was able to spin hazards away and set his own.
Garbodor was pretty bad and didn't offered the offensive pressure I wanted it to. As suggested by HJAD, Mismagius enters this spot as a fast setup sweeper which only benefits from DSs.

Team in-depth

PiNK CAT (Mesprit) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psyshock Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Mesprit happened to be a bulky pursuit bait/eater screen setter which could return to the battlefield a lot of times to get screens up again after they went down due to time/defog. U-turn is there for making some damage while choosing something better on the switch, as people usually begin with something faster than me.

Harmony (Sandslash) (F) @ Rocky Helmet Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Sandslash is here to dish some damage out while spinning out opposing hazards to let Mesprit pivot while settings screens. Earthquake is the staple STAB and Knock Off is the coverage to hit those flying/Levitate mons who are immune to EQ and will definitely try to spinblock.

LiNKAGE (Klinklang) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Substitute

The standard Klinklang, now with screens! With enough bulk to set up Substitute and multiple Shift Gears, it's often the first one brough to set up and punch holes on opposing screen after screens are up. Return, for me, offers better coverage against the ones who resist Gear Grind, but Wild Charge can be used to hit opposing Steel types harder.

LOVE or GAME (Gorebyss) (F) @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Shell Smash

The most straight forward member of the team. Set Light Screen up or find an opportunity to Shell Smash against physical attackers who can't hit it supper-effectively and BOOM! Someone dies. Other players seems to be using HP Grass over Psychic, which hits Lanturn harder, but miss a lot on dealing with Garbodor and opposing fighting types like Sawk, Primeape and Poliwrath.

Hands (Sawk) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb

Many NU players say Sawk is the best in the meta right now. I do see a point there as it has plety coverage moves and a nice Atk on top of that. NU being a slower meta than the other ones allows Sawk to shine here with his subpar 85 Speed. Close Combat+Knock Off deal with most mons, and are the most used moves. Earthquake is for a better time with Garbodor and Muk, while Rock Tomb deals with bug types who resist the other moves. As Sweet Jesus said when describing this mon, "Rock Tomb is just a great way of breaking sashes, hitting flyings and bugs super effective and playing safe on possible faster switch-ins since after a speed drop, sawk outspeeds everything but a handfull of scarf mons".

21248931 (Mismagius) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond

(Previously Garbodor)
The powerful special attacker with subpar defense and HP, who can benefit from the setup opportunity AFTER SCREENS GOING DOWN due to his high speed. You can also use both Lum Berry+Destiny Bond and Colbur Berry+Taunt, somehow having something for both Pursuits and T-Waves in the same set. Feel free to use what seems better for you. (More info to come as I'm still testing this change...)

Past Members

Ookami Shoujo (Garbodor) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion

Incoming copy+paste from Blastral.
"Max Attack Garbodor can actually pose as a decent offensive threat and lure while still being a reliable Spikes-stacker."
"Explosion is great for just weakening physical walls and luring stuff that would come in for free against Garbo." While also preventing some defogging/spinning.
I don't like Garbodor, but it's pretty good and got me some 6-hazard-stack in 3 games where I wouldn't win if it weren't for the support it provided.

Final thoughs

21248931 (Mismagius) @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond

Hands (Sawk) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb

LOVE or GAME (Gorebyss) (F) @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Shell Smash

Harmony (Sandslash) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

LiNKAGE (Klinklang) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Substitute

PiNK CAT (Mesprit) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

It turned out to be pretty good for a first try team. As with all my teams, I never get to break past the 1500 mark on the ladder due to people playing stall, taking the fun out of me. It's also pretty fun when you setup screens and they rage quit by doing minimal damage with super-effective moves against Mesprit. ^^

Last edited:
hi bro,

nice team you have here. Dual Screens are a nice easy way to get tons of settup oppurtuinities however i feel like you arent utilising its capabilities properly. With only 2 settup sweepers, both walled by common mons in the metagame at the minute, its about time you stepped up the sheer number of settup sweepers you have, to overrun the opponent in the long game. That and Barrier Musharna straight train rolls this team, so we are gonna utilise screens much more in this build im going to suggest right now to make sure it doesnt have any room to breath:
My main problem is that you have 2 hazard support mons, and one screener with no offensive presence. having only 3 mons which have the possibility to break a team isnt the best idea. And you are right, Garbodor is completely out of place on this team, the only thing it really provides is a knock off / fighting pivot switch.
Because we are running offense, we should run a much more threatening Fighting Resist, that has the presence to completely destroy a team should it be neccesary, yet still achieve the capability of beating Fighting Type Pokemon. As a result, im gonna suggest Colbur Nasty Plot Mismagius > Garbodor. Mismagius is as offensive as a fighting resist gets, it has a unique typing in NU and the capability of beating most fighting type pokemon 1v1, however if you feel like this isnt reliable enough, you can run destiny bond, to possibly make sure you get that fighting resist nailed, destiny bond posseses great utility due to this, however another option in Taunt to possibly prevent defogs but is at the cost of a less reliable fighting stop. It also gives an extra check to Malamar, which you really do struggle with.

Next up, Sandslash is kinda asking to be settup on. Its not going to be spinning extremely effectively without a Lum Berry and SD > SR. An offensive spead of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe Adamant Nature also helps it spin reliably against common spin blockers, and be an offensive nuicance with its settup capability, which will be predominantly used to break walls for other mons later on. It does mean we dont have SR, so SR > Psyshock on Mesprit might help out a bit, u-turn is too good a move to pass up on and we only need one time switch ins for stuff anyway. My main purpose with this rate is just condensing rolls, so we have more room for more threatening Pokemon. Ill leave it at there, but i cant stress enough how important it is to spam settup sweepers, keeping pressure on stuff like barrier musharna is key for your strategy to work.

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond / Taunt

Sandslash = SD > SR, Lum Berry > Current Item
Spread = 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe Adamant Nature

Mesprit = SR > Psyshock

best of luck for the future
~HJAD

Because we are running offense, (...) im gonna suggest Colbur Nasty Plot Mismagius > Garbodor.

Next up, Sandslash is kinda asking to be settup on. Its not going to be spinning extremely effectively without a Lum Berry and SD > SR. An offensive spead of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe Adamant Nature also helps it spin reliably against common spin blockers, and be an offensive nuicance with its settup capability, which will be predominantly used to break walls for other mons later on.

It does mean we dont have SR, so SR > Psyshock on Mesprit might help out a bit, u-turn is too good a move to pass up on and we only need one time switch ins for stuff anyway.
Dude, it's like you're reading my mind!
Over this weekend I've already moved Stealth Rock to Mesprit so I could use SD on Sandslash, turning a passive spinner into an offensive spinner, punching a hole if opportunity is given(pretty much what I did with P-Groudon in Ubers Lately).

Now, to Mismagius: Definitely what I should've run from the begining, a powerful special mon with subpar defense and HP, who can benefit from the setup opportunity AFTER SCREENS GOING DOWN due to his high speed. I'm so divided in which move to use for the last slot as they both seem so good, I'll also try both Lum+Bond and Colbur+Taunt, so I can somehow have something for both Pursuits and T-Waves.

TEAM HAS CHANGED!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)