Pokémon Ampharos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having such great success in using mega amph with cotton guard, discharge, focus blast, and dragon pulse. 252 hp/4def/252 special attack. It's usually really obvious what is gonna be switched in if you know they may be running after seeing the team preview. It has seriously become my favorite mega ever. And the discharge paralysis has saved me so many times

If you choose to run Agility MegAmpharos, Modest or Timid?

Without Timid, you can outspeed up to Greninja with full investment. The main things you don't outspeed anymore are Talonflame (who you can probably beat anyway), Weavile, Noivern, and Aerodactyl. Mewtwo as well, but this is an OU set.

Honestly I only see being unable to outspeed Weavile, Aerodactyl and Noivern as a problem, as they'd be able to outspeed you after an agility and possibly KO with a Choice Band/Specs super effective attack, and you're unlikely to invest in defenses on an agility set as well. However most things that you fail to outspeed are things you beat (like Talonflame, Jolteon, Swellow, Crobat). I don't think Weavile, Aerodactyl or Noivern are all that common either. So I'm leaning toward Modest 252/252 Sp.Attack/Speed with Thunderbolt/Focus Blast/Dragon Pulse/Agility.

mpharos@Ampharosite
Modest/Static
148Hp/216SpAtk/144Speed
-Agility
-Thunderbolt
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast

ive been trying this out, has enough speed to outspeed Starmie after an agility in mega form but has more bulk to take hits. Its been working well for me as I tend not to mega evolve straight away and can still outspeed greninja before mega evolving (after agility). Is this set viable if I don't fear greninja outspeeding me in mega form?

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
mpharos@Ampharosite
Modest/Static
148Hp/216SpAtk/144Speed
-Agility
-Thunderbolt
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast

ive been trying this out, has enough speed to outspeed Starmie after an agility in mega form but has more bulk to take hits. Its been working well for me as I tend not to mega evolve straight away and can still outspeed greninja before mega evolving (after agility). Is this set viable if I don't fear greninja outspeeding me in mega form?
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 148 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 314-372 (87.7 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Quite impressive, but I'm not sure it's worth missing out on outspeeding so many things.

mpharos@Ampharosite
Modest/Static
148Hp/216SpAtk/144Speed
-Agility
-Thunderbolt
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast

I think a better spread would be 252HP/184Spe/74SpAtk Timid. This would let even M!Ampharos outspeed +speed Greninja, probably the last unscarfed thing you actually have to outspeed as there arent really any common pokemon that are faster than that. It also lets you outspeed Dugtrio which could otherwise ruin your sweep. The lack of extra attacking EVs isnt a huge hindrance as you're already coming off of a 165 Base special attack stat, you're either going to KO what you're attacking or you're going to not lol. Alternatively if you feel it's too little power you could pull from HP and drop bulk a bit but the added bulk helps you set up on stuff like Talonflame.

I've played with a team based around agility Mega Ampharos sweeping late game. Here are my thoughts.
While Mega Ampharos is pretty bulky with 95/105/110 defenses, most of the time it is going to take a nasty hit on the turn it uses agility, basically leaving it vulnerable to getting revenge killed by Kangaskhan or Mamoswine. Even Scizor, Talonflame, and Azumarill can revenge kill sometimes if Ampharos has been weakened enough.
Even if there is nothing to immediately revenge kill Ampharos, often I found my sweeps getting stopped simply from a pokemon tanking my move of choice and whittling Ampharos down. Rotom-W is only 3hko'd by the set, and it can will-o and then whittle with hydro pump so something else can then come in to revenge. Thunderbolt does not ohko Gengar, and Mega Gengar outspeeds Ampharos at +2, so it gets a massive hit off or even destiny bonds. At full hp, Mega Gyarados can actually tank a thunderbolt, dragon dance, and then outspeed and ohko with earthquake. Mega Venusaur is the biggest thorn in the world. It just sits there and leech seeds and synthesizes off the damage. Mega Ampharos can't do anything. A bulky Aegislash can take two thunderbolts, so it can set up and ko.
Finally, my biggest problem with Mega Ampharos is having to run focus blast. By using focus blast, there is a clear reality that I am going to lose games because I missed focus blast on Excadrill, Diggersby, Mamoswine, or Tyranitar and got ko'd as punishment. It's especially bad with Ferrothorn, as I have to hit two focus blasts to ko, meaning it's very likely Ferrothorn will annoy the crap out of me with leech seed and protect.
There is just too many things in Ampharos's way. 165 special attack is pretty good, but it's just not enough to get by. Overall, Ampharos just doesn't work most of the time, be it focus blast missing or pokes just tanking his hits.

Many times I'll lead with Amphy to tank a hit and volt switch into something that can force a switch and buff itself, or mop up what's left after the volt switch, I also use Porygon2 and use Trick Room before it dies, and then proceed to absolutely dominate with Mega Amphy for the next 3 turns. It makes for a good juke-lead and excellent late game trick room sweeper. I also use it alongside my Azumarill, Gliscor, Bisharp core.

A Wish Fairy seems like a really good partner for Megampharos due to it's bulk and pivoting nature with Volt Turn. Togekiss for example is immune to both Dragon and Ground which makes it a great switch and can supply Wish and even Screens. They're both weak to Ice though so have a Steel handy as well.

Anyone think that with Cotton Guard he can get by with just Rest? 252 HP / 126 Df / 126 SpA with Discharge/Thunder and Dragon Pulse should make you pretty beefy and you can abuse Discharge paralysis for some free turns if you're fortunate. Considering people are saying he's tanking STAB EQs as is it's tempting to see what Cotton Guard lets him take, and then if they try to Toxic you as a result the look on their face as you Rest it off must be hilarious. All the more reason to run a Fairy but one with Aromatherapy. Megampharos is slow enough to Rest last and then a switch out and healed to full after the Cleric does its job.

Hello everyone, first time posting. Quick question.

A lot of builds on here show Ampharos with Heal Bell. How do you get that in X or Y?

Hello everyone, first time posting. Quick question.

A lot of builds on here show Ampharos with Heal Bell. How do you get that in X or Y?
Heal Bell is a tutor move from Black 2 and White 2. Once the PokeBank gets going, you will be able to get a Heal Bell Ampharos there and transfer it to X and Y.

Oh I see. Sorry I'm a rather new Pokemon player. I haven't touched Pokemon since gen 1. Only have now gotten into competitive battling. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is "Darn, I don't have a chance of getting one then."

Thank you for your help.

^pick up a copie of B/W2. While Unova is kind've lame, the story is good and there are a lot of tutor moves you can get if you don't wanna wait for "Z". Also, can Ampharos be tutored Draco Meteor in X/Y?

^pick up a copie of B/W2. While Unova is kind've lame, the story is good and there are a lot of tutor moves you can get if you don't wanna wait for "Z". Also, can Ampharos be tutored Draco Meteor in X/Y?
As Ampharos itself is not Dragon-type, it (unfortunately) cannot learn Draco Meteor in X and Y.

I'm running a TrickRoom set.
Modest
252 HP
252 S.Atk
4 S.Def
Dragon pulse
Volt switch
Focus Blast
Protect (double battles)
Great speed, fair bulk to survive a super effective hit at least once, and amazing special attacking and pivot ability.

Plus that wool is just to FABULOUS.

Am I the only one using this set?

(Mega) Amphy
252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Sp.Def
Nature: Modest
-Volt Switch
-Dragon Pulse
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Just another bulky Pokemon doing it's job by being...bulky. It can either hit hard and switch out, or use Rest again. This set gives teams good momentum by taking (resisted) hits, Resting off the damage and/or switching out. It's a heavy hitting scout at best.

Am I the only one using this set?

(Mega) Amphy
252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Sp.Def
Nature: Modest
-Volt Switch
-Dragon Pulse
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Just another bulky Pokemon doing it's job by being...bulky. It can either hit hard and switch out, or use Rest again. This set gives teams good momentum by taking (resisted) hits, Resting off the damage and/or switching out. It's a heavy hitting scout at best.
Looks ok to me, but I can't say I like the idea of switching out while asleep. Also, both your attacking moves have pokes immune to them, so I'd assume it'd be easy to wall/set up on. But hey, if it works, it works. And I do love volt turn walls

The rest talk set with volt switch and dragon pulse really surprised me. It's very good. Even with minimal investment (44 EVs and modest like the OP suggests), your attacks hit hard, and you're slow enough that when you VS out your switch in is coming in for free. It's also really nice to have a Poke that switches in endlessly against both Rotom-W and Rotom-H. You're also a hard counter to Talonflame: CB brave bird is 34% tops with max HP and 0 def.

Will Ampharos (after gen6 tiers come out for NU,RU, and UU) Move up from NU to say..UU? I feel like mega amp is REALLY good even with the new fairy types.. It kicks some poké butt. And if it doesn't move up I will pray that all the NU pokemon will live its mighty T-bolt's because they probably wont.

So I decided to throw together a team with Mega-Ampharos on it when Pokepank opened up.
I'm was having a TON of problems with an offensive set. Now that Pokebank OU is roaring away, and 5th gen OU monsters are running rampant, and even 5th gen Ubers like Genesect, Deoxys and Excadrill are being allowed to play, Amphy is just getting shut down. I find a Garchomp, Mamoswine, Excadrill or Landorus-T on almost every team. Without Trick Room support, even MAmpharos bulk can't handle these fast and versatile threats. But, like effyouzion said, it's a great counter to Talonflame and Rotom-- one of the best I've seen, and great with Talonflame's face being everywhere.
Regardless, here's the Amphy I use NOW

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Def
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast/Heal bell

The bulk is what drives me over any other mega-- because even with Mega Kan and Gengar gone; Mega Lucario, Medicham, and Manectric are faster, and have more coverage. Each of them are incredibly frail, though, and cannot handle any threats. Disregarding this things monstrosity in trick room, I did some common calculations to try and get a feel for what it's like

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 372-440 (96.8 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

This is the creme de la creme. Choice Band Huge Power Max attack, has an 81.3% chance to OHKO Amphy. But let's put it in a different item, more likely nowadays due to frequent switchouts and a lot of Azumarill counters

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 252-296 (65.6 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Now my other calcs.
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 248-294 (64.5 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 252-296 (65.6 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 258-306 (67.1 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 228-270 (59.3 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 272-324 (70.8 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In a defensive thread, Ampharos is a monster-- taking (not enjoying, but taking) every terrible hit it possibly can, and having at least one OHKO move to return (HP Ice, Focus Blast, Focus Blast and Dragon Pulse respectively)

With this things terrible speed, I'd rather not rely on Trick Room-- Why can't this thing work as it's own tank? Especially with mold Breaker

You can use a Mega-Amphy with Deo-D as a Trick Room Lead, and then pivoting into Mamphy. The problem with that is proper predict from the opponent. I still think this Mega needs tons of support in TR, but when it gets it, it can sweep nicely.

I've also seem some sets as a baton pass ender, with Ninjask passing to Espeon passing to M-Amphy, and that works really well too. That set especially works well with all bulk invested.

While a lot of these could have been done PRE-Pokebank, I've decided to wait until prevalent threats started getting really common before worrying about what set works best.

DEFENSIVE AMPHY FOR THE WIN.

So I decided to throw together a team with Mega-Ampharos on it when Pokepank opened up.
I'm was having a TON of problems with an offensive set. Now that Pokebank OU is roaring away, and 5th gen OU monsters are running rampant, and even 5th gen Ubers like Genesect, Deoxys and Excadrill are being allowed to play, Amphy is just getting shut down. I find a Garchomp, Mamoswine, Excadrill or Landorus-T on almost every team. Without Trick Room support, even MAmpharos bulk can't handle these fast and versatile threats. But, like effyouzion said, it's a great counter to Talonflame and Rotom-- one of the best I've seen, and great with Talonflame's face being everywhere.
Regardless, here's the Amphy I use NOW

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Def
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast/Heal bell

The bulk is what drives me over any other mega-- because even with Mega Kan and Gengar gone; Mega Lucario, Medicham, and Manectric are faster, and have more coverage. Each of them are incredibly frail, though, and cannot handle any threats. Disregarding this things monstrosity in trick room, I did some common calculations to try and get a feel for what it's like

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 372-440 (96.8 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

This is the creme de la creme. Choice Band Huge Power Max attack, has an 81.3% chance to OHKO Amphy. But let's put it in a different item, more likely nowadays due to frequent switchouts and a lot of Azumarill counters

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 252-296 (65.6 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Now my other calcs.
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 248-294 (64.5 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 252-296 (65.6 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 258-306 (67.1 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 228-270 (59.3 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 272-324 (70.8 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In a defensive thread, Ampharos is a monster-- taking (not enjoying, but taking) every terrible hit it possibly can, and having at least one OHKO move to return (HP Ice, Focus Blast, Focus Blast and Dragon Pulse respectively)

With this things terrible speed, I'd rather not rely on Trick Room-- Why can't this thing work as it's own tank? Especially with mold Breaker

You can use a Mega-Amphy with Deo-D as a Trick Room Lead, and then pivoting into Mamphy. The problem with that is proper predict from the opponent. I still think this Mega needs tons of support in TR, but when it gets it, it can sweep nicely.

I've also seem some sets as a baton pass ender, with Ninjask passing to Espeon passing to M-Amphy, and that works really well too. That set especially works well with all bulk invested.

While a lot of these could have been done PRE-Pokebank, I've decided to wait until prevalent threats started getting really common before worrying about what set works best.

DEFENSIVE AMPHY FOR THE WIN.
Nice set! :D

It looks like it makes a nice lure, having opponents think they can take you out because their attack is SE and STAB, only to find the sheep living at 25% and knock out your attacker. You just have to be careful to keep healthy until the "counter" comes out.

You could beat or severely damage all of those by just using dpulse (or volt switch for Azu) when they switch in. That way you can use rest/talk for your other 2 slots and keep Amphy around the whole game instead of (likely) trading your mega for someone else's non-mega 1 for 1.

It looks like it makes a nice lure, having opponents think they can take you out because their attack is SE and STAB, only to find the sheep living at 25% and knock out your attacker. You just have to be careful to keep healthy until the "counter" comes out.
You could beat or severely damage all of those by just using dpulse (or volt switch for Azu) when they switch in. That way you can use rest/talk for your other 2 slots and keep Amphy around the whole game instead of (likely) trading your mega for someone else's non-mega 1 for 1.
To kinda combine both of these, I use SR support, as especially with Talonflame that becomes the main problem, plus I find Ferrothorn to be a good partner, along with Heatran. The three of them make a really decent core. I also try and keep another potential mega on my team, for mind games. Lucario, Gardevoir and Pinsir could work as they are decent without having to mega-evolve.

To address Effyouzion, this is true, and that's definitely a way to look at it, and a viable strategy. I'm trying to come up with a secondary set for Mega-Amphy to make it more useable. Volt Switch is more than welcome to be used instead of any of the slots.

The only thing I find is that anything Mega-Ampharos attempts to do, I can find an equal slot for someone else, leaving a different mega-slot open. That's what I'm afraid of, when it can be an exceptionally uniquely typed tank that (as Zebstrika said) tempts a switch in for a OHKO chance (allowing for one decent hit) attacks, and finds it doesn't kill (allowing for a second hit) and then allows you to either switch or take the kill, leaving it severely weakened. I like it as a second set, meaning Mega-Amphy is more than a one-trick pony.

Also, for the 4-attacks lure set, there is actually a decent amount of stuff Ampharos can survive from defensive/support pokemon after taking a strong attack (basically, stuff it can switch in on for wish support, or an attack it can take to fire off a rest if you're using that set instead). Here are a few calcs of defensive pokemon trying to do their best damage to Ampharos:
0 Atk Forretress Rapid Spin vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 10-12 (2.6 - 3.1%) because it beats Gyro Ball and Volt Switch lol

4 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (41 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 15-18 (3.9 - 4.6%)

4 Atk Gourgeist-Super Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 31-37 (8 - 9.6%)

4 Atk Mandibuzz Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 34-42 (8.8 - 10.9%)

4 Atk Klefki Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 36-43 (9.3 - 11.1%)

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 38-45 (9.8 - 11.7%)

252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 38-45 (9.8 - 11.7%)

4 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 42-49 (10.9 - 12.7%)

4 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 42-51 (10.9 - 13.2%)

4 Atk Mandibuzz/Sableye/Umbreon/etc Dark type Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 54-64 (14 - 16.6%) -- possible 6HKO

4 SpA Heatran Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 56-66 (14.5 - 17.1%) careful for Earth Power though

4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 57-67 (14.8 - 17.4%)

4 Atk Trevenant Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 58-69 (15.1 - 17.9%)

4 SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 62-74 (16.1 - 19.2%) Careful for Dazzling Gleam

252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 66-78 (17.1 - 20.3%)

4 SpA Jellicent Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 70-84 (18.2 - 21.8%)

0 SpA Tentacruel Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 75-88 (19.5 - 22.9%)

252 Atk Jirachi Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 76-91 (19.7 - 23.6%)

252+ Atk Malamar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 79-94 (20.5 - 24.4%)

252+ SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 84-99 (21.8 - 25.7%) Careful for Dazzling Gleam again, this is a more offensive Togekiss

0 SpA Celebi Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 90-106 (23.4 - 27.6%) Careful for Earth Power, or, if you're weakened, offensive versions in general

Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 252 HP Mega Ampharos: 100-100 (26 - 26%)

0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 94-112 (24.4 - 29.1%)

0 SpA Deoxys-D Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 96-114 (25 - 29.6%) Assuming it was nerfed down to 130 base power, like its variations, though I'm not sure if that was confirmed yet

252 Atk Jirachi Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 96-114 (25 - 29.6%)

0 SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 106-126 (27.6 - 32.8%) A little bit tougher to take, especially if it poisons, but if you can predict a Giga Drain you're off easy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)