an attempt at making a viable scolipide team

:Scolipede: :Tapu Koko: :Latias: :Landorus-Therian: :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: :Regieleki:

hello everyone, Scolipede is one of my favourite mons and i wanted to build a team around him that would be viable in the current ou meta. and i think i have succeeded, at least partially. this team got me up to 1400 easily, but i am not getting any higher than that. so any tips would be appreciated. without further ado, here is the team.

(also English isn't my first language so sorry for any mistakes)

:ss/scolipede:
Scolipede @ Silver Powder
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab/aqua tail
- Earthquake

the star of the team, and the reason i wanted to make this team in the first place. 2+ scolipede is insanely powerful, and it can push its way torugh most walls in the tier, including blissey, toxapex and clefable. megahorn deals insane damage, especially with STAB+silver powder. i switch between jab and tail a lot, because tail allows me to muscle my way trough lando, but jab helps with the fairies. earthquake is good coverage, and catches a lot of people off guard. this mon is very frail though, so it needs screens or something like the opponent using toxic to get onto the field safely. it also gets fully walled by corv/skarm, so that can be annoying

:ss/tapu koko:
Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

normal piviot koko. dazzling gleam and tbolt hit hard overall, uturn is for switching, and roost keeps me healthy. i dont use it alot though, so i am open to suggestions. the hp ev's make it a little bit more bulky. this used to be my screens setter, but it did not really work out

:ss/latias:
Latias (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere
- Psyshock

probably the most terrifying mon on the planet. with screens, it is very bulky, and its special attack becomes huge after getting hit with one u-turn. many teams do not really have an answer to this mon, as it outspeeds everything in the meta at 2+, and very few walls can handle a psyshock. slowbro being an exception. aura sphere deals damage to those perky dark types, and deals with heatran. i really only have to watch out for priority, mainly ice shard from weavile and sucker punch from bisharp. i have been experimenting with using necromanza with ddance, but that wasn't really working, so i am sticking with this for now. i am also not sure if i should switch to latios or not. i don't really know the difference

:ss/Landorus-Therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off

everybody uses this mon. i mean, i cannot really blame them because having a lighting and ground immunity is so good. the set is defensive, because thats the role its supposed to fill. i usually lead with this gut, unless the other person also has a lando then i lead with shifu so see if i can get that free ko. the set is very normal, and it does what is supposed to do.i gave it knock off to so it could at least annoy birds who came in.

:ss/Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet/thunder punch
- U-turn
- Surging Strikes
another quite common pokemon. banded ursifu holds alot of power, and can overcome most of its checks if you play him well. i switch between tpunch and aqua jet often, because not being able to damage pex hurts, but not having any priority hurts even more.

:ss/regieleki:
Regieleki @ Light Clay
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

some odd mixture between a sweeper and a screens setter, but it works. if the opponent doesn't have a ground type, this mon basically means auto win. it is also my only way to get rid of hazards, so that can be annoying. i like to use this mon to force opponents to get out their ground types, get up my screens, and then switch into latias. very fun mon to use. this used to be magnezone so i could deal with steel birds and ferro better, but i felt like i was lacking offensive power.

threats:
any setup sweeper: something like dragonite with a couple of dragon dances really screws my team over.
dragon types in general: they are just very hard to deal with
corv/skarm: when played well, those mons wall my entire team. it can be annoting at times
ferrothorn: more of an annoyance than a threat, but if shifu dies i cannot really deal with him. sure latias can so something, but leech seed and toxic still really hurt

so, any tips?

Hey there I have some suggestions that might help you:
1-the best screen setters atm are:tapu Koko:and:grimmsnarl:, they are better than:regieleki:at this job.
2-putting:Clefable:over:latias:helps the dragon mu, also with unaware basically shuts down every setup sweeper and uses it to setup herself.
3-since we have still a missing Mon you might consider:Heatran:, it has great synergy with:Clefable: and can trap all the annoying steel. As a bonus it helps a lot against stall.
Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Grimmsnarl screens I just made: lives 2 shadow ball by:Dragapult: after rocks and always ohko's back, takes 2 dual wing beat by :Dragonite:
Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 92 HP / 228 Atk / 188 Def
Adamant Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Spirit Break

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic
Btw toxic on Lando is a great suggestion.

Last edited:
Hey there, here to rate your team and give you some suggestions and changes you can test.

Your team looks like a Screen offense and Scolipede :scolipede: could fit in this kind of team as it can boost both its Attack and its Speed in one turn and thus appreciate the support of dual screens to setup a Swords Dance more easily. They are, in my opinion, other ways to make Scolipede shine in the tier and even if I will rate this with the idea of making a Screen Offense team, I will suggest some ideas of core or sets that could work for Scolipede in different teams. Now, regarding the rest of the team, as Ol_dragon said Regieleki :regieleki: is not the best screens setter and I think you should use Tapu Koko :tapu koko: in this role. Latias :latias: is indeed a deadly setup sweeper with screens but I feel that Latios :latios: is a bit better to do so thanks to its higher damage output. However, Defensive Landorus-T :landorus-therian: doesn’t fit well here as it won’t be able to benefit from the few Screen turns you will have and it may just reduce the pressure you’ve managed to put on the opposing team, giving to your opponent free turns to heal its defensive options or take back the momentum. With setup sweepers like Latias and Scolipede you really want to keep the pressure on the opposing side so that if one Pokémon fails to sweep, it can still weaken the opposing team enough and give a sweep opportunity to one of its teammate. Urshifu-R :urshifu-rapid-strike: is a threatening wallbreaker, but with screens you rather have setup sweepers than wallbreakers and even if screens can be useful to take some super effective hits, most opponents will just temporize with the appropriate answers and waste your screen turns. More generally, if wallbreakers can be dealt with by passive but bulky Pokémon (like Toxapex :toxapex: for Urshifu-R), most setup sweepers cannot and they even take advantage of passive and defensive Pokémon to freely click setup moves. This is the main reason why in a Screen based team you rather have a lot of setup options and use your screen turns to setup a Pokémon that can sweep the opposing team or at least weaken the answers to one of your other setup sweepers.

According to what I said, I will propose changes with the aim of making a Screen Offense where Scolipede could be a deadly wincon. I will then try to give some other ideas on how you could use this Pokémon in OU. Let’s dive into it!

Major Changes:

:urshifu-rapid-strike: -> :bisharp:: Bisharp is a very solid option in screen based teams thanks to its ability: Defiant. It can not only threaten a lot of defensive staples of the tier with Swords Dance and its combo of STAB but can also come in on a predicted Defog to get a free boost. I feel like it will be more useful than a wallbreaker like Urshifu-R here for the reasons I explained above. It is also worth noticing that Bisharp can be an emergency answer to the almighty Dragapult :dragapult: which can be particularly annoying against Screen Offense thanks to its ability which allow him to ignore screens and its blasting Speed. Here is the set for Bisharp:

bisharp.gif

Bisharp @ Black Glasses / Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

:regieleki: -> :zeraora: Regieleki serves here as a screen setter which is something you obviously need in this kind of team. However, as it is not the best screen setter in the tier, I think you can use another Pokemon to do so and thus replace Regieleki by another Electric type who will take advantage of Tapu Koko :tapu koko: terrain, I’m thinking here about Zeraora :zeraora:. Zeraora is also extremely fast and can be used to revenge kill fast threats like the aforementioned Dragapult :dragapult: (Regieleki can’t do so). Moreover, Zeraora can take advantage of the screen turns to setup some Bulk Up and threaten annoying foes for Scolipede like the very common Corviknight :corviknight:. Here is the set you can use with Leftovers as an item (or even Weakness Policy you want something spicier):

zeraora.gif

Zeraora @ Leftovers / Weakness Policy
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Knock Off / Play Rough

:tapu koko:: Tapu Koko is in my opinion a better screen setter than Regieleki because of its access to U-turn and Taunt. Thus, I would just change it for its classic screen setter set which is just here:

tapukoko.gif

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

:landorus-therian:: As I said it in the intro, defensive Landorus-T doesn’t fit in this kind of Offense and here you rather have a Suicide lead Landorus or at least an offensive set with Rocks. You can thus use Explosion with the classic lead set, or use Smack Down to threaten and even beat Corviknight :corviknight: which can greatly help Scolipede :scolipede:. Here is the set (Sash is here because it is a lead set and most of the time you want to lead with it and then setup screens):

landorus-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion / Smack Down

Minor Changes:

:latias: -> :latios:: Not a big change here, I just feel that Latios is a bit better than Latias in this role. I would also suggest you use Stored Power instead of Psyshock as you will easily get a lot of boosts. Thus, the set would be like this:

latios.gif

Latios (M) @ Weakness Policy
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere
- Stored Power

:scolipede:: I would just use Life Orb instead of Silver Powder here and remove that 4 EVs in HP.

And here we are, I give you the past of this new version of the team just bellow so that you can test it and see if it works well.

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Megahorn

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

Modest Nature
- Agility
- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere
- Stored Power

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Zeraora @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Now, as promised, let’s talk a bit about Scolipede :scolipede:. This Pokémon has an interesting niche in OU thanks to its incredibly good ability in Speed Boost and its great movepool. You basically have two ways to use it which are as a lead that can set up some layers of Spikes / Toxic Spikes or as a setup sweeper with the conjunction of Speed Boost and Swords Dance.

The first set could fit in an offensive team like this one. You can even use a very fast Endeavor to weaken something after having stack hazards. The set would be something like this:

scolipede.gif

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Poison Jab / Toxic

For the second set which is the one you are using in that team, you can consider pairing him with Magnezone in order to deal with the annoying Steel birds (Corviknight and Skarmory). I feel like Magnezone doesn’t fit well in this kind of fast paced screen offense but the duo Scolipede + Magnezone could be a deadly one in some non-screen based offense or even some balance.

And now we’re done. Hope this was helpful, have a nice day!

Hey there, here to rate your team and give you some suggestions and changes you can test.

Your team looks like a Screen offense and Scolipede :scolipede: could fit in this kind of team as it can boost both its Attack and its Speed in one turn and thus appreciate the support of dual screens to setup a Swords Dance more easily. They are, in my opinion, other ways to make Scolipede shine in the tier and even if I will rate this with the idea of making a Screen Offense team, I will suggest some ideas of core or sets that could work for Scolipede in different teams. Now, regarding the rest of the team, as Ol_dragon said Regieleki :regieleki: is not the best screens setter and I think you should use Tapu Koko :tapu koko: in this role. Latias :latias: is indeed a deadly setup sweeper with screens but I feel that Latios :latios: is a bit better to do so thanks to its higher damage output. However, Defensive Landorus-T :landorus-therian: doesn’t fit well here as it won’t be able to benefit from the few Screen turns you will have and it may just reduce the pressure you’ve managed to put on the opposing team, giving to your opponent free turns to heal its defensive options or take back the momentum. With setup sweepers like Latias and Scolipede you really want to keep the pressure on the opposing side so that if one Pokémon fails to sweep, it can still weaken the opposing team enough and give a sweep opportunity to one of its teammate. Urshifu-R :urshifu-rapid-strike: is a threatening wallbreaker, but with screens you rather have setup sweepers than wallbreakers and even if screens can be useful to take some super effective hits, most opponents will just temporize with the appropriate answers and waste your screen turns. More generally, if wallbreakers can be dealt with by passive but bulky Pokémon (like Toxapex :toxapex: for Urshifu-R), most setup sweepers cannot and they even take advantage of passive and defensive Pokémon to freely click setup moves. This is the main reason why in a Screen based team you rather have a lot of setup options and use your screen turns to setup a Pokémon that can sweep the opposing team or at least weaken the answers to one of your other setup sweepers.

According to what I said, I will propose changes with the aim of making a Screen Offense where Scolipede could be a deadly wincon. I will then try to give some other ideas on how you could use this Pokémon in OU. Let’s dive into it!

Major Changes:

:urshifu-rapid-strike: -> :bisharp:: Bisharp is a very solid option in screen based teams thanks to its ability: Defiant. It can not only threaten a lot of defensive staples of the tier with Swords Dance and its combo of STAB but can also come in on a predicted Defog to get a free boost. I feel like it will be more useful than a wallbreaker like Urshifu-R here for the reasons I explained above. It is also worth noticing that Bisharp can be an emergency answer to the almighty Dragapult :dragapult: which can be particularly annoying against Screen Offense thanks to its ability which allow him to ignore screens and its blasting Speed. Here is the set for Bisharp:

View attachment 352670
Bisharp @ Black Glasses / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

:regieleki: -> :zeraora: Regieleki serves here as a screen setter which is something you obviously need in this kind of team. However, as it is not the best screen setter in the tier, I think you can use another Pokemon to do so and thus replace Regieleki by another Electric type who will take advantage of Tapu Koko :tapu koko: terrain, I’m thinking here about Zeraora :zeraora:. Zeraora is also extremely fast and can be used to revenge kill fast threats like the aforementioned Dragapult :dragapult: (Regieleki can’t do so). Moreover, Zeraora can take advantage of the screen turns to setup some Bulk Up and threaten annoying foes for Scolipede like the very common Corviknight :corviknight:. Here is the set you can use with Leftovers as an item (or even Weakness Policy you want something spicier):

View attachment 352675
Zeraora @ Leftovers / Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Knock Off / Play Rough

:tapu koko:: Tapu Koko is in my opinion a better screen setter than Regieleki because of its access to U-turn and Taunt. Thus, I would just change it for its classic screen setter set which is just here:

View attachment 352671
Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

:landorus-therian:: As I said it in the intro, defensive Landorus-T doesn’t fit in this kind of Offense and here you rather have a Suicide lead Landorus or at least an offensive set with Rocks. You can thus use Explosion with the classic lead set, or use Smack Down to threaten and even beat Corviknight :corviknight: which can greatly help Scolipede :scolipede:. Here is the set (Sash is here because it is a lead set and most of the time you want to lead with it and then setup screens):

View attachment 352672
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion / Smack Down

Minor Changes:

:latias: -> :latios:: Not a big change here, I just feel that Latios is a bit better than Latias in this role. I would also suggest you use Stored Power instead of Psyshock as you will easily get a lot of boosts. Thus, the set would be like this:

View attachment 352673
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere
- Stored Power

:scolipede:: I would just use Life Orb instead of Silver Powder here and remove that 4 EVs in HP.

And here we are, I give you the past of this new version of the team just bellow so that you can test it and see if it works well.

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Megahorn

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

Modest Nature
- Agility
- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere
- Stored Power

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Zeraora @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Now, as promised, let’s talk a bit about Scolipede :scolipede:. This Pokémon has an interesting niche in OU thanks to its incredibly good ability in Speed Boost and its great movepool. You basically have two ways to use it which are as a lead that can set up some layers of Spikes / Toxic Spikes or as a setup sweeper with the conjunction of Speed Boost and Swords Dance.

The first set could fit in an offensive team like this one. You can even use a very fast Endeavor to weaken something after having stack hazards. The set would be something like this:

View attachment 352674
Scolipede @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Poison Jab / Toxic

For the second set which is the one you are using in that team, you can consider pairing him with Magnezone in order to deal with the annoying Steel birds (Corviknight and Skarmory). I feel like Magnezone doesn’t fit well in this kind of fast paced screen offense but the duo Scolipede + Magnezone could be a deadly one in some non-screen based offense or even some balance.

And now we’re done. Hope this was helpful, have a nice day!
I would use knock off over play rough on zeraora, and IMO latias is actually better than latios for setting up bc it has better phys def so it can take phys hits better compared to the more frail latios

Back