An Atypical UU Battle

Hello again! This is Flashrider57 bringing another warstory to Stark Mountain! This one is a dual commentary battle with Shining Kestral, and it was quite the surprising battle! However, you guys want to read a warstory, instead of my rambling talk, so lets go!

Flashrider57: Commentary and battle text in brown, Pokemon damage calcs in red
Shining Kestral: Commentary and battle text in dark blue, Pokemon damage calcs in light blue
When a Pokemon faints, the score will be at the end of the turn in bolded black

After a battle with Shining Kestral, I decide that the team I’m using isn’t doing too well. Instead, I switch to another one of my teams, one that is a mix of defensive and stall. It’s served me well, and I’ve had the most success with it. It also throws some people off, as two of my Pokemon run modified sets instead of the norm. Basically, my main strategy with it is to set up entry hazards, use Steelix and Drapion to reveal the team and spread damage, use Hariyama as a tank and Leafeon as my cleric, and get Mismagius to pull off a sweep against the weakened team. Despite the apparent weakness to Heracross, I haven’t had many problems with it, with the main issue being Special Attackers, especially Moltres. I decide to get onto the ladder, and I find Shining Kestral up against me, itching for a rematch.

I'll tell you all a secret that's not really a secret: I battle very little. When I do, I have a tendency to get crushed when pitted against other competitive players. So I'll warn you right now that I'm not a very good player. The majority of my battling experience is against friends who I completely outclass. This team I'm using is actually the very first team I made in what was back then Shoddy Battle, experimenting. It consisted of Pokémon I personally like + Claydol (though I've grown to like Claydol over time due to putting it on the team). Despite this, they seem to work with each other. The general idea of the team is to be bulky with Persian as a pivot, then send in Swellow at the end to sweep. I eventually left Shoddy to pursue the art of RNG and hadn't been back since.

When Pokémon Lab was in beta two months later, however, I wanted to try it out for trying out's sake. Needless to say, my time away had diminished my already not so great skills. I played a couple of OU matches and lost quite a lot. No matter where I stray, I always come back to UU tier. I've actually played Flashrider57 before, back on Shoddy Battle, probably with this team, but this was a long time ago and I doubt he remembered it. Now, for any tier that isn't OU, you have a tendency to run into the same players. I had just finished a battle against Flashrider57 before using a different team, and I decided to switch it up to this old one before clicking the find button again.

"I bet it'll be Flashrider again," I said.

I was right.

Flashrider57’s team:

Shining Kestral’s team:

BEGIN!

Flashrider57 sent out Gary (lvl 100 Omastar ?)!
Shining Kestral sent out Garnet (lvl 100 Persian ?)!
He uses a new team that leads with a Persian. From experience, this usually means a weather team (I’ve seen Persians with Sunny Day and Heat Rock over Rain Dance and Damp Rock). Surprisingly, I can kinda handle both Sun and Rain teams, although both require good prediction. Hopefully, it will be just a regular lead, as I like facing regular teams the most (especially defensive). I’m going to use Surf to catch him off guard, like everyone else I’ve faced.
===============
Begin turn #1
@Flashrider57: Hello again
@Shining Kestral: hi again
Garnet used Fake Out!
It's not very effective...
Gary lost 27/344 (7%) of its health!
Gary flinched!
Gary's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Gary regained 21/344 (6%) of its health!
Omastar:99%
Persian:100%
Whew. This actually tells me a lot. Because it used Fake Out, it definitely isn’t an odd Switcheroo lead, and not a weather lead either, meaning it’s just the regular lead. Also, its item is probably Silk Scarf, because it didn’t take LO recoil. I decide to use Surf again, just in case it misses with Hypnosis or uses Taunt.
Flashrider and I exchange our greetings. We're both using different teams as last time, so even if we recognized each other's names, we might as well have been facing different opponents. The Fake Out is standard, and I think both of us knew this was how the first turn was going to go. My intention with Fake Out was to break Omastar's Focus Sash, but that plan was foiled when Omastar dangles his Leftovers in Persian's face. In the end, I manage to do a whopping 1% damage to Omastar. Now, as a lead, Persian is known for Hypnosis. When I first made this team, I had an intense dislike of Hypnosis, and I still do. Therefore, this Persian does not carry it, and uses the Fake Out/U-turn/Taunt/Bite set. However, Flashrider doesn't know that I don't have Hypnosis. I didn't think he would be switching out this turn, not when Omastar has such a huge advantage over Persian. I could Taunt it to prevent it from setting up, but he could predict that (or be banking on a Hypnosis miss) and attack outright. Besides, it keeps him in the dark on whether I have Hypnosis or not. I decide to play it safe and U-turn out. If he sets up hazards, then I'll deal with them later.
^I use Leftovers on Omastar because it is my main counter against Fire-types. Plus, I haven’t found Focus Sash too useful.

===============
Begin turn #2
Garnet used U-turn!
Gary lost 34/344 (9%) of its health!
Shining Kestral withdrew Garnet!
Shining Kestral sent out Hyacinth (lvl 100 Venusaur ?)!
Garnet went back to Shining Kestral!
Gary used Surf!
Hyacinth lost 14% of its health!
Hyacinth's Black Sludge restored its health a little!
Hyacinth regained 6% of its health!
Gary's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Gary regained 21/344 (6%) of its health!
Omastar:96%
Venusaur:92%
Dang it. I forgot that we’ve battled before, and he knows that I love to attack with my leads to catch people off guard, so he uses U-Turn, and brings in Venusaur. Thankfully, it has Black Sludge, most likely meaning a Support set. He’ll probably use Sleep Powder now, so I decide to switch in my Hariyama, which is a modified RestTalk set.
It turns out that U-turn was the right move to make. My Venusaur takes a bath courtesy of Omastar's Surf. My Black Sludge (which I should really remember to change to Leftovers someday) indicates I'm using a defensive set. In particular, I'm using the underappreciated Subseeder set. Sleep Powder is the move to use here. It's obvious, but it's a relatively safe move to make. I doubt Omastar will be staying in: it hasn't set any entry hazards, practically has full health, and it stops Persian cold. Sleep Powder will let me see what Flashrider's answer to Venusaur is.

===============
Begin turn #3
Flashrider57 withdrew Gary!
Flashrider57 sent out Sumo (lvl 100 Hariyama ?)!
Hyacinth used Sleep Powder!
Sumo fell asleep!
Hariyama(asleep):100%
Venusaur:98%
He’ll stay in, so I decide to use Sleep Talk. It’s running a modified RestTalk set, with Revenge and Ice Punch over Force Palm and Whirlwind. Hariyama is bulky enough to take on anything that Venusaur throws at it.
Since Flashrider sent Hariyama in, I am almost certain that it's a status absorbing RestTalker. Hariyama is a very useful Pokémon who handily deals with an astonishing number of threats. It will almost certainly be using Sleep Talk next turn. What will Sleep Talk pick? Who knows. The standard Sleep Talk Hariyama carries either Force Palm or Cross Chop with Whirlwind or Stone Edge. Force Palm or Cross Chop will do pitiful damage against Venusaur, and Stone Edge, even if it lands a critical hit, will not KO a Venusaur with 98% health. The only real snag is Whirlwind. If my Venusaur substitutes and Sleep Talk picks Whirlwind, I will have wasted a quarter of her health for nothing. Leech Seed is the best choice to make here.

===============
Begin turn #4
Hyacinth used Leech Seed!
Sumo was seeded!
Sumo used Sleep Talk!
Sumo used Rest!
But it failed!
Hyacinth regained 2% of its health!
Sumo's health was sapped by Leech Seed!
Sumo lost 53/430 (12%) of its health!
Hariyama(asleep):88%
Venusaur:100%
…Great. I forgot that Leech Seed is the main option as the Support set’s recovery option. I always use Synthesis on my Venusaurs. Anyway, Hariyama does not need to sleep more, so hopefully Sleep Talk will select Ice Punch this time.
I have now revealed my Venusaur to be a Subseeder, and Sleep Talk grants me a free turn by picking Rest. While I'm grateful for it, I am a bit annoyed it didn't pick something else. Information about Hariyama's moveset would have been greatly welcomed. Venusaur can survive anything Hariyama throws at her, and Leech Seed + Black Sludge recovery will help her shake off damage.
===============
Begin turn #5
Hyacinth used Substitute!
Hyacinth lost 25% of its health!
Hyacinth made a substitute!
Sumo woke up!
Sumo used Sleep Talk!
But it failed!
Sumo's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Sumo regained 26/430 (6%) of its health!
Hyacinth regained 14% of its health!
Hariyama:82%
Venusaur:95%
…So remember last turn how I said that Hariyama doesn’t need to sleep some more…Why does it have to wake up the turn after I say that…I swear Lady Luck hates me…Anyway, it wasn’t a Supporter at all, but a SubSeeder. I don’t like these things whatsoever, as they take forever to die.
Flashrider's Hariyama wastes another turn by unexpectedly waking up. I have my substitute set up, so I'm safe. I could use Sleep Powder again, but I'm afraid Flashrider will predict it and sleep talk. Sludge Bomb is my move of choice: even if my guess is wrong, the substitute will take the blow for Venusaur.
===============
Begin turn #6
Hyacinth used Sludge Bomb!
Sumo lost 114/430 (26%) of its health!
Sumo used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
Hyacinth's substitute took damage for it!
Hyacinth's substitute faded!
Hyacinth regained 4% of its health!
Hariyama:50%
Now he learns that one of my moves is Ice Punch. I find it useful for a good amount of things, such as enemy Venusaurs, Sceptiles, and Altarias. Oh, ESPECIALLY Jumpluffs. I wonder what he’s thinking about this…
Oh noooooooo! Ice Punch! ICE PUNCH! That was the one move I wasn't expecting a Sleep Talking Hariyama to have. Which is silly, Ice Punch is an option on pretty much every Hariyama set. Heck, my OWN Hariyama carries it. Sludge Bomb only deals 26% but it combined with Leech Seed is putting the pressure on Hariyama. I did not notice anything odd at the time, but had I run a calc, I would have realized that this Hariyama was packing some extra special defense. Hyacinth has full health, and I decide to Sub again to stall out Leech Seed damage. Even though it's super effective, Hyacinth can take an Ice Punch. In retrospect, this was a bad decision. I should have switched to my own Hariyama to take the Ice Punch.
===============
Begin turn #7
Sumo used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
Hariyama:44%
And it sets up another Sub, which I destroy. Hariyama’s HP is getting low, so I decide to use Rest.
Now, I wish I could tell you all what I was thinking this next turn, but I cannot. It was probably something along the lines of "I can stall it out!"
===============
Begin turn #8
Sumo lost 115/430 (26%) of its health!
Sumo was poisoned!
Sumo used Rest!
Sumo fell asleep and became healthy!
Sumo regained 363/430 (84%) of its health!
Hyacinth regained 4% of its health!
I breathe a sigh of relief, as if I had decided to use Ice Punch again, Hariyama would be dead now. Leech Seed is getting on my nerves now, so I switch in Steelix so it can take on a Sludge Bomb or set up Stealth Rock while Venusaur sets up its Sub.
It's quite clear at this point that we're at something of a stalemate. Poison hax strikes, but it's meaningless as Hariyama rests up. Would this Venusaur vs Hariyama battle continue, I'm not really sure who would win. Though, if I were to hazard a guess, Hariyama would probably eventually come out on top. Hariyama is either going to switch or sleep talk, and I decide to sub to see which.
===============
Begin turn #9
Flashrider57 withdrew Sumo!
Flashrider57 sent out Iron Snake (lvl 100 Steelix ?)!
Steelix:100%
Venusaur:82%
It sets up its Sub after all. I decide to set up Rocks, then Roar it away.
Flashrider decides to end this war by sending out Steelix, which is a good choice on his part. Steelix is immune to Sludge Bomb and Venusaur can't touch it apart from Sleep Powder and Leech Seed. Steelix gives my team a bit of trouble. It can easily shut down Persian and Swellow, and is immune to Ampharos' Discharge and Toxic, and is, at best, 4KOed by his Hidden Power Ice while it 2KOs with Earthquake. Though the other half of my team can handle it bar Explosion. Steelix is not going to explode while I have a sub up, though, and I Leech Seed it to put some pressure on it and recover some health. If it sets up Stealth Rock, I can clear it away later with Claydol.
===============
Begin turn #10
Iron Snake was seeded!
Iron Snake used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!
Iron Snake's health was sapped by Leech Seed!
Iron Snake lost 44/354 (12%) of its health!
Hyacinth regained 12% of its health!
Steelix:88%
Venusaur:100% (almost)
Time to Roar. I dislike Leech Seed, though.
Steelix takes advantage of the fact that I can't directly hurt it to set up Stealth Rock. Seeded and subbed up, I make a dumb mistake and forget that Sleep Clause doesn't apply when the opponent uses Rest. So, I mistakenly thought that I would have to switch.
===============
Begin turn #11
Shining Kestral withdrew Hyacinth!
Shining Kestral sent out Baatsi (lvl 100 Claydol)!
Pointed stones dug into Baatsi!
Baatsi lost 6% of its health!
Iron Snake used Roar!
Pointed stones dug into Hyacinth!
Hyacinth lost 12% of its health!
Iron Snake's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Iron Snake regained 22/354 (6%) of its health!
Steelix:82%
Claydol:94%
Venusaur:100% (almost)
O_O (sees Claydol) Oh crap…I absolutely hate Claydol. It screws up my team’s main strategy so much. What the problems are:
1) Immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes
2) Stealth Rock (which isn’t that much of a problem, since my team either resists or is neutral to Stealth Rock)
3) RAPID SPIN. This team focuses a lot on entry hazards, so of course I hate Rapid Spin.
4) Earth Power. It hits three of my Pokemon for SE damage (coincidentally, those three Pokemon happen to be my entry hazard setters)
5) The last slot. Since it can be Psychic, Ice Beam, or Shadow Ball, I’m in trouble, as my strategy against it depends on that last move. I’m hoping it’s Ice Beam, so Hariyama can switch in. If it isn’t, I do have Leafeon to deal with it, but I don’t want to risk it getting killed early, since it’s my cleric, and I can’t afford to lose it.
Thankfully, Venusaur switches back in. I decide to use Earthquake here.
I sent in Claydol to threaten an Earth Power, but I get Roared right out again. The good news is that Hyacinth was the one who came back in, probably the best choice to handle Steelix. The bad news is Flashrider now knows I have a Claydol on my team. Anyway, NOW I realize I can Sleep Powder and decide to go for it in case Steelix decides to roar Venusaur right back out.
===============
Begin turn #12
Hyacinth's attack missed Iron Snake!
Iron Snake used Earthquake!
Hyacinth lost 27% of its health!
Hyacinth regained 12% of its health!
Steelix:76%
Venusaur:91%
Shining Kestral does the smart thing and uses Sleep Powder, but it misses. I’m switching in Hariyama now, because he’s going to obviously use it again.
The Sleep Powder miss hurts a lot, and Venusaur takes 27% damage (11% factoring Black Sludge + Leech Seed) for her trouble. The miss shakes me quite a bit, and I don't think my next move through at all.
===============
Begin turn #13
Flashrider57 withdrew Iron Snake!
Flashrider57 sent out Sumo (lvl 100 Hariyama ?)!
But it failed!
Hariyama:94%
Venusaur:97%
I got my prediction right this time. Sleep Talk time.
Of course Hariyama will come back in, why didn't I see this coming? I would like to blame this on the fact that this is my first time battling after several months, but there is really no excuse for this. Despite the fact that I have played badly over these past three turns, I still have enough brain power to realize that Venusaur is still valuable in this fight, so I will no longer waste turns and precious PP struggling against Hariyama. I know Hariyama will Sleep Talk this turn. So far, Hariyama has shown three moves: Sleep Talk, Rest, and Ice Punch. I am dead certain that the last move is a Fighting move of some kind. I gauge my choices and decide that Claydol is the best choice. Rest will be a waste of a turn, and it will be able to stand a Fighting move just fine. I also know that Ice Punch can't KO it, and should be able to set up Stealth Rock at the very least.
===============
Begin turn #14
Shining Kestral withdrew Hyacinth!
Shining Kestral sent out Baatsi (lvl 100 Claydol)!
Pointed stones dug into Baatsi!
Baatsi lost 6% of its health!
Sumo used Sleep Talk!
Sumo used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
Baatsi lost 35% of its health!
Baatsi's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Baatsi regained 6% of its health!
Hariyama:100% (almost)
Claydol:59%
Claydol is greeted with an Ice Punch to its…um…what counts as its face? Anyway, this could be bad for me, as Claydol probably packs Psychic. However, I am sure it will either use Stealth Rock or Rapid Spin first.
Luck decides to favor Flashrider this turn, and Baatsi loses a third of its health coming in. My Claydol cannot KO Hariyama or even hope to. Instead, I will set up Stealth Rock.
===============
Begin turn #15
Baatsi used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!
Sumo used Sleep Talk!
Sumo used Revenge!
Baatsi lost 10% of its health!
Sumo regained 1/430 (0%) of its health!
Hariyama:100% (for certain this time)
Claydol:55%
There we go. Now, Hariyama will wake up next turn, so Ice Punch it is. It will survive Psychic, thankfully, but not without losing a nasty chunk of health. Still, I hope it doesn’t have Psychic…I briefly think about switching in Aunt Missy (my Mismagius), but I decide not to.
The obvious move here is to Rapid Spin to remove Stealth Rock from my side of the field, but I've only seen a fraction of Flashrider's team. I have seen Omastar, Hariyama and Steelix so far, which tells me this is a defensive team if not outright stall. Steelix sets up Stealth Rock, and Omastar almost certainly has Spikes and maybe Toxic Spikes as well since Steelix is the one carrying SR. So I started to think that there might be a Ghost on the team to spinblock. Hariyama was waking up this turn, and I knew Claydol could take another Ice Punch. I decide to Shadow Ball to try to catch a Ghost by surprise.
===============
Begin turn #16
Baatsi used Shadow Ball!
Sumo lost 59/430 (13%) of its health!
Sumo woke up!
Sumo used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
Baatsi lost 33% of its health!
Baatsi was frozen solid!
Hariyama:93%
Claydol(frozen):27%
No Psychic, then. It turns out that it runs Shadow Ball over Psychic. However, it’s now frozen, and Ice Punch will kill it next turn. I got really lucky here with the freeze hax, and I’m glad I decided to keep Sumo in.
…Wait, I have Drapion on my team…If it did have Psychic (which it doesn’t), I could have switched in Drapion, and threatened with Crunch. It’s a little risky, though, so oh well…
But, this brilliant plan of mine backfires hilariously, and by "hilariously" I mean "horribly and painfully." For me, anyway, it was probably funny to Flashrider. Not only does a Ghost NOT come in, Shadow Ball does pathetic damage to Hariyma, and my Claydol gets Ice Punched and frozen for good measure. I don't even get a Sp. Def drop. :c Claydol is now completely out of commission for this match. There is the chance it'll thaw out next turn, but that's rather low. Hariyama will most definitely go for the kill here, so I select Rapid Spin in vain.
===============
Begin turn #17
Baatsi is frozen solid!
Sumo used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
Baatsi lost 27% of its health!
Baatsi fainted!
Shining Kestral sent out Flynn (lvl 100 Ampharos ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Flynn!
Flynn lost 12% of its health!
Hariyama:99%
Claydol:(Frozen to death)
6-5 Flashrider57
Bye, Claydol. I draw the first blood of the match. He brings in his Ampharos, which makes me think quite a bit. I’ve seen the UU Tank set more often than not on Ampharos, but a LO Ampharos set recently appeared on-site. The safest option is to use Revenge here, as I’m assuming the LO set.
The turn happens exactly as I predict I would, the only good prediction I've had in a while.
===============
Begin turn #18
Flynn used Toxic!
Sumo was badly poisoned!
Sumo used Revenge!
Flynn lost 29% of its health!
Flynn's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Flynn regained 6% of its health!
Sumo regained 7/430 (1%) of its health!
Sumo is hurt by poison!
Sumo lost 26/430 (6%) of its health!
Hariyama(poisoned):94%
Ampharos:94%
It’s the UU Tank set. Since Sumo can survive for a while, I stick with Revenge.
Hariyama is giving me a ton of trouble, as Flashrider has probably noticed. My Ampharos comes in to Toxic Hariyama, but he can't do anything other than that. My only thought at this moment was that I need to either get rid of it, or force it out so I can see more of Flashrider's team and start forming an endgame plan. To do this, I make the risky decision to switch to Swellow. Swellow takes 25% from Stealth Rock, and should take somewhere in the 51-60.2% range from an unboosted Revenge. From there, I would have a Swellow in critical health, but with an activated orb. Then I would U-turn out and have one last huzzah waiting in the wings. If it uses Ice Punch, however, I'm dead.

No, I'm not quite sure what convinced me this was a good idea, so don't ask.
===============
Begin turn #19
Shining Kestral withdrew Flynn!
Shining Kestral sent out Breezie (lvl 100 Swellow ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Breezie!
Breezie lost 25% of its health!
Sumo used Revenge!
A critical hit!
Breezie lost 75% of its health!
Breezie fainted!
Sumo is hurt by poison!
Hariyama(poisoned):88%
Swellow:(in its grave, wondering what the heck just happened)
6-4 Flashrider57
O_O…That was REALLY lucky. Swellow can hurt this team badly in conjunction with Venusaur, and I’m glad that it’s out of the picture. I don’t like hax too much, though, and that’s the second time this battle something like that has happened. Venusaur comes in, and I expect Sleep Powder, so Sleep Talk it is.
By the way, I think that I’m starting to get too lucky with hax…
...or if Revenge crits. That too. This is without a doubt the worst decision of the match. At this point, I have pretty much run out of ideas. I still have Persian, Ampharos, Venusaur, and my own Hariyama, the last of which Flashrider has not seen. I sent in Venusaur to set up a Leech Seed since I wasn't sure what else to do. Looking back on it, I now see what my move should have been: send in Persian to Fake Out, Taunt, and then U-turn if she survived. But at this point, it was hard to think at all when you're frustrated and under a time limit.
===============
Begin turn #20
Hyacinth's attack missed Sumo!
Sumo used Sleep Talk!
But it failed!
Sumo is hurt by poison!
Sumo lost 80/430 (18%) of its health!
Hariyama(poisoned):76%
Venusaur:91%
My conscience tells me something: “Good job, idiot.” I’m already poisoned, so Sleep Powder won’t work. Leech Seed misses, which makes me glad, but it’s time for Sumo to take a nap.
Probability is being rather unkind to me in this battle. First a meaningless poison hax, a Sleep Powder miss, frozen via Ice Punch, a Revenge critical, and now a Leech Seed miss. Flashrider has Hariyama Sleep Talk, no doubt predicting a Sleep Powder. All in all, a turn for healing and poison damage to take effect. Hariyama will be resting next turn, and I set up my substitute.
===============
Begin turn #21
Sumo used Rest!
Sumo fell asleep and became healthy!
Sumo regained 107/430 (24%) of its health!
Hariyama(asleep):100%
Venusaur:72%
Time for Sleep Talk.
Once again, we are locked in a Sumosaur war. The best I can do is Leech Seed and hope that Sleep Talk doesn't pick Ice Punch, and recover health. Thus, the cycle begins once more.
===============
Begin turn #22
Sumo was seeded!
Sumo used Sleep Talk!
Sumo used Rest!
But it failed!
Venusaur:92%
===============
Begin turn #23
Sumo lost 111/430 (25%) of its health!
Sumo used Sleep Talk!
Sumo used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
Hyacinth regained 2% of its health!
Hariyama(asleep):57%
===============
Begin turn #24
Sumo woke up!
Sumo used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
Hariyama:51%
===============
Begin turn #25
Sumo lost 106/430 (24%) of its health!
Sumo used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
Hyacinth lost 43% of its health!
Hariyama:18%
Venusaur:72%
Crap. That was a bad move. Hariyama will be dead soon, so I decide to let it die for Steelix to switch in safely. You’ve served me well, Sumo.
===============
Begin turn #26
Sumo lost 79/430 (18%) of its health!
Sumo fainted!
Pointed stones dug into Iron Snake!
Iron Snake lost 11/354 (3%) of its health!
Hariyama:(angry at me)
Venusaur:80%
5-4 Flashrider57
Enter Iron Snake. He’s probably going to switch out in fear of Earthquake, so I decide to Roar.
At long last Hariyama falls! But it's nothing but uphill from here: After 26 turns, I have only scored my first KO and two of my team is down, including Swellow who I usually rely on late game to clean up. Steelix comes in, and no doubt it's going to Roar me out. I decide to use my turn to leave it a parting gift that will hopefully not miss.
===============
Begin turn #27
Iron Snake was seeded!
Iron Snake used Roar!
Pointed stones dug into Garnet!
Garnet lost 12% of its health!
Garnet regained 12% of its health!
Steelix:67%
Venusaur:80%
I guess I was wrong, and he reveals Persian. I decide to use Earthquake, but I know Persian will use Fake Out.
Persian usually serves me quite well. She is completely useless against Steelix, however. Flashrider has seen my entire team except for Hariyama, and my two Ground immunities are gone. Taunting at this point would be useless. There is no reason for Steelix to use Roar on something it handily beats. I'll first take my free damage and let Hariyama show himself at last.
===============
Begin turn #28
Garnet used Fake Out!
Iron Snake lost 25/354 (7%) of its health!
Iron Snake flinched!
Steelix:54%
Time for Earthquake. If he has Taunt, he’ll probably use it now.
===============
Begin turn #29
Garnet used U-turn!
Iron Snake lost 16/354 (4%) of its health!
Shining Kestral sent out Hezekiah (lvl 100 Hariyama ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Hezekiah!
Hezekiah lost 6% of its health!
Hezekiah lost 22% of its health!
Hezekiah's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Hezekiah regained 6% of its health!
Hezekiah regained 10% of its health!
Steelix:44%
Hariyama:88%
Looks like he doesn’t have Taunt, then. He reveals his final Pokemon, a Hariyama. He’ll use his Fighting-type move here, which gives my Mismagius the perfect time to switch in.
Now that my full team is finally revealed, no doubt Flashrider will start plotting. I doubt Steelix will be staying in as it can sit in front of Persian all day long and is immune to Venusaur's Sludge Bomb. I don't know what set Steelix is running, but the chances of Explosion being the final move is pretty high. Steelix is still valuable to Flashrider and problematic to my team, and my bet is he will try to switch something that resists Fighting. After all, it would be in my best interest to get Steelix out of the game ASAP. Knock Off is a move that's annoying to anything that switches in, and will be perfect for scouting his unrevealed team.
===============
Begin turn #30
Flashrider57 withdrew Iron Snake!
Flashrider57 sent out Aunt Missy (lvl 100 Mismagius ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Aunt Missy!
Aunt Missy lost 34/273 (12%) of its health!
Hezekiah used Knock Off!
It's super effective!
Aunt Missy lost 68/273 (24%) of its health!
Hezekiah knocked off foe Aunt Missy's Leftovers!
Mismagius:76%
Hariyama:94%
DANG IT!!! (Note: I don’t really curse in battles or commentary) I get punished for my assuming he was going to use a Fighting-type move, and Aunt Missy’s Leftovers are Knocked Off. I decide to set up a Sub just in case he predicts a switch.
So remember back at the Claydol incident when I said I thought Flashrider had a Ghost on his team? Turns out I was right. Mismagius was most likely hoping to get in for free on a Fighting move, but instead loses her important Leftovers and takes a sizable 24% from Knock Off. Mismagius outspeed my Hariyama, and will most likely try to set up. My guess is Substitute, and I have just the thing to deal with that.
===============
Begin turn #31
Aunt Missy used Substitute!
Aunt Missy lost 68/273 (24%) of its health!
Aunt Missy made a substitute!
Hezekiah used Whirlwind!
Flashrider57 sent out Skorpion (lvl 100 Drapion ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Skorpion!
Skorpion lost 43/344 (12%) of its health!
Skorpion's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Skorpion regained 21/344 (6%) of its health!
Mismagius:51%
Drapion:94%
Hariyama:100%
Arrrgh…I mess up my prediction again. He now knows that I have a Substitute set. My advantage, however, is that he doesn’t know which one I’m using, because it can be Sub+Nasty Plot, Sub+CM, or Sub+Destiny Bond. For the record, it’s a Sub+CM set. Anyway, I decide to Whirlwind as he uses Knock Off. My Drapion runs a modified Specially Defensive set, which might throw him off.
Whirlwind works beautifully. Mismagius wastes 24% of her health for nothing, especially now that she no longer has her Leftovers, and I am rewarded with being able to see another member of Flashrider's team: Drapion. Leftovers recovery tells me this Drapion is either defensive or a bulky offensive one. However, seeing as Flashrider isn't afraid to use unique sets, I can't know for sure. I decide to use Knock Off: no Pokémon enjoys losing its item, and if Mismagius decides to come back in, she'll be hit with damage she can't afford to take.
===============
Begin turn #32
Hezekiah used Knock Off!
Skorpion lost 10/344 (2%) of its health!
Hezekiah knocked off foe Skorpion's Leftovers!
Skorpion used Whirlwind!
Drapion:92%
Hariyama:100%
Persian:88%
Right on the money. I’m assuming that Persian doesn’t know Taunt, as he had a couple chances to do so earlier, but didn’t. I decide to reveal Drapion’s surprise: I run Substitute over Taunt. It gives me a good amount of wiggle room to set up Toxic Spikes or use Whirlwind. I have to wait after Fake Out, though…
Ah, that's twice now Garnet has been forced back in. Now that I know for sure there is a Ghost on Flashrider's team, I don't want to give Mismagius a free turn to come in, especially since the obvious move is Fake Out. My Persian has Bite to combat Aunt Missy, however, if Drapion stays in, the damage would be so pitiful it would be embarrassing, and I'm not about to rely on flinch hax. I will taunt this turn to disable something. Drapion, Steelix, and Mismagius both have at least one non attacking move in their movesets, and I think Omastar does as well. The mystery last team member, however, I have no clue. Still, I have at least a 80% chance to stop something from setting up or phazing my team.
===============
Begin turn #33
Garnet used Taunt!
Skorpion fell for the taunt!
Skorpion can't use Substitute after the taunt!
Drapion:92%
CRAP! He DOES have Taunt, and he uses it at the right time. There goes my surprise…My only choice now is Crunch.
Aw man, guess Fake Out would have been good after all. However, it's not all that bad for me: Drapion fails to get up a Substitute and my suspicion that Drapion is not running a standard set turns out to be correct. However, once again, my Persian is in a position where taking on a threat head on will be pointless. I've got the Taunt up, and now to U-turn, as Flashrider will no doubt expect.
===============
Begin turn #34
Garnet used U-turn!
Skorpion lost 48/344 (13%) of its health!
Shining Kestral sent out Hezekiah (lvl 100 Hariyama ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Hezekiah!
Hezekiah lost 6% of its health!
Skorpion used Crunch!
Hezekiah lost 8% of its health!
Drapion:79%
Hariyama:92%
Of course he switches in Hariyama. I’m pretty sure that he’ll use Whirlwind or Knock Off, so I decide to keep my Drapion in and use Crunch.
Crunch does laughable damage to Hariyama, who rubs the fact in more by the fact that he has leftovers while Drapion doesn't. So far, I have seen this Drapion carrying Whirlwind/Substitute/Crunch. The last move is likely either Swords Dance or a coverage move like Earthquake. Because Hariyama can take anything Drapion throws at it, I opt to Whirlwind, because I want to know what the last member of Flashrider's team is.
(Note: my last move on Drapion is Toxic Spikes, for those who are wondering)
===============
Begin turn #35
Skorpion used Crunch!
Hezekiah lost 10% of its health!
Hezekiah used Whirlwind!
Drapion:79%
Mismagius:39%
Hariyama:88%
Here we go again. I decide to outright attack, as that is the best choice against Hariyama, seeing as it’s either going to use Knock Off or Whirlwind.
Alas, Mismagius is something I've seen before, and she outspeeds my Hariyama. Flashrider knows that setting up is pointless, so he will likely attack this turn. I keep Hariyama in, because I know he can survive a Shadow Ball, and I don't want to mispredict and send in Persian on what could be an HP Fighting or a sub if Flashrider predicts me switching out. Once again, I phaze away.
===============
Begin turn #36
Aunt Missy used Shadow Ball!
Hezekiah lost 39% of its health!
Hezekiah used Whirlwind!
Pointed stones dug into Iron Snake!
Iron Snake lost 11/354 (3%) of its health!
Mismagius:39%
Steelix:44%
Hariyama:55%
I predicted correctly. Hariyama will probably use Knock Off here, although it could also use its Fighting move.
Shadow Ball was a hefty hit, and Steelix was dragged out once more. Steelix needs to go, and this time I decide to go for the kill. I have a feeling it will attack this turn to take advantage of Whirlwind's negative priority.
===============
Begin turn #37
Hezekiah used Brick Break!
It's super effective!
Iron Snake lost 122/354 (34%) of its health!
Hezekiah lost 20% of its health!
Steelix:16%
Hariyama:41%
Steelix is pretty much dead weight now, with it being effective only against Ampharos, which I can still defeat. Bye, Iron Snake.
Sitting at 16%, Steelix is all but useless to Flashrider right now, especially when my entire team outspeeds it. Persian is the only one who cannot deal with Steelix, and that isn't an issue when I have three other team members who can soundly finish it off at this point.
===============
Begin turn #38
Hezekiah used Brick Break!
It's super effective!
Iron Snake lost 59/354 (16%) of its health!
Iron Snake fainted!
Flashrider57 sent out Forest Queen (lvl 100 Leafeon ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Forest Queen!
Forest Queen lost 41/334 (12%) of its health!
Steelix:(hoping that someone will avenge its death)
Hariyama:47%
4-4 Tie
I decide to finally reveal Leafeon, because I need to get some support going for my teammates. Leafeon is also bulky enough to take anything that Hariyama throws at it, even an Ice Punch.
Flashrider at last shows his final Pokémon to me, Leafeon. Leafeon doesn't worry me too much; Venusaur soundly beats it. The theme of Flashrider's team so far has been defense, defense, defense, so I suspect that Leafeon is also bulky as well, maybe a Wisher. After all, it sports a very nice 130 base defense stat.
^Mainly defensive team, with a good amount of stall mixed in. He doesn’t know the stall part since I haven’t laid down much entry hazards.
===============
Begin turn #39
Forest Queen used Wish!
Forest Queen made a wish!
Hezekiah used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
Forest Queen lost 102/334 (30%) of its health!
Forest Queen's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Forest Queen regained 20/334 (5%) of its health!
Leafeon:63%
Hariyama:53%
I set up Wish, as he reveals his final move to be Ice Punch. He’ll probably attack again with Ice Punch, so I decide to use Leaf Blade.
Wish and Leftovers confirm my theory, though it's not a surprise at this point. Here, Leafeon struts her stuff: A super effective move from a Pokémon with 120 base attack and some attack investment manages only a paltry 30% damage. Oh, and the fact that it used Wish. That's pretty telling, too. Now, I see three outcomes here: Leafeon uses Protect, switches to a teammate to wishpass, or attacks me, as it can easily stomach another Ice Punch. Switching is unlikely, the only team member in bad shape is Mismagius, and she can't survive an Ice Punch from Hariyama. However, I loathe the idea of Leafeon healing herself. I am going to Whirlwind this turn: there's a 66% chance either Omastar or Drapion will be forced in, though if Mismagius enters the fray it could be problematic. However, a 66% chance of messing up Flashrider's Wish is better than none.

Or he could just use Protect and render all my reasoning moot.
===============
Begin turn #40
Forest Queen used Leaf Blade!
Hezekiah lost 27% of its health!
Hezekiah used Whirlwind!
Flashrider57 sent out Gary (lvl 100 Omastar ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Gary!
Gary lost 43/344 (12%) of its health!
The wish came true!
Gary regained 62/344 (18%) of its health!
Leafeon:63%
Omastar:100%
Hariyama:32%
That works too…kinda. I wish it had switched in Aunt Missy, though…(no joke intended). I predict a switch to Venusaur, so Ice Beam it is.
What luck, Omastar, who hasn't shown his face since the beginning of the match, comes back in, and the Wish is practically wasted healing him 18%. Omastar outspeeds Hariyama, and will either set up or attack this turn. Brick Break cannot 2KO an Omastar with Defense investment; it just misses 50% damage, and it still has its Leftovers. Phazing has become less useful at this point, and Hariyama is being worn down by all this damage he's been taking. Persian, Venusaur and Ampharos remain on my team, and hopefully they can take on the rest of Flashrider's team. I make an error here and use Knock Off, hoping to catch Mismagius switching in once again and if Omastar stays in, get rid of his Leftovers.
===============
Begin turn #41
Gary used Ice Beam!
Hezekiah lost 14% of its health!
Hezekiah used Knock Off!
Gary lost 14/344 (4%) of its health!
Hezekiah knocked off foe Gary's Leftovers!
Hariyama:24%
Or he stays for the Knock Off. However, if Ice Beam did that much to Hariyama, even with Thick Fat, then Omastar can beat it for sure, seeing as the nautiloid outspeeds it.
Thanks to Thick Fat, Omastar does little damage while I do little damage in return. I was wondering whether or not Omastar was carrying Ice Beam, and now I know for sure. It's a good thing I did not switch Venusaur in or things could have gone very, very bad. Surf will end Hariyama right now, but as I've done many times before, I put my hopes into Flashrider overpredicting.
===============
Begin turn #42
Gary used Surf!
Hezekiah lost 25% of its health!
Hezekiah fainted!
Shining Kestral sent out Flynn (lvl 100 Ampharos ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Flynn!
Flynn lost 12% of its health!
Hariyama:(very, very angry that it lost to a snail)
4-3 Flashrider57
Adios, Hariyama, and hello Ampharos. I leave Omastar in so my Leafeon can switch in for free and kill it. Thanks, Omastar.
Which did not work. Ampharos is the one best equipped to take on Omastar, and at this point, I'm really wishing I had Thunderbolt instead of Discharge.
===============
Begin turn #43
Gary used Surf!
Flynn lost 27% of its health!
Flynn used Discharge!
It's super effective!
Gary lost 300/344 (87%) of its health!
Omastar:9%
Ampharos:43%
Well, Omastar survived that…I decide to leave Spikes on the field as a little parting gift.
Here, it's evident that my earlier Knock Off was a mistake, as Omastar survives a Discharge from my Ampharos and deals almost 30% back. Again, at such low health, its usefulness is diminished, and I'm confident it will stay in. And if it doesn't, none of Flashrider's team will like taking a Discharge, not even Leafeon with its Paralysis chance.
===============
Begin turn #44
Gary used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
Flynn used Discharge!
It's super effective!
Gary lost 30/344 (8%) of its health!
Gary fainted!
Omastar:(sinking to the bottom of the ocean)
Ampharos:37%
3-3 Tied
I change my mind at the last instant and send in Mismagius. She can kill it easily, right?
Omastar leaves one last parting gift in a layer of Spikes, and this makes me nervous. I failed to spin away Stealth Rock earlier, and all my remaining team members are vulnerable to Spikes. Mismagius comes in, and both of our only options is to attack.
===============
Begin turn #45
Aunt Missy used Shadow Ball!
Flynn lost 29% of its health!
Flynn's special defence was lowered!
Flynn used Discharge!
Aunt Missy lost 35/273 (12%) of its health!
Aunt Missy fainted!
Flashrider57 sent out Forest Queen (lvl 100 Leafeon ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Forest Queen!
Forest Queen lost 41/334 (12%) of its health!
Mismagius:(Extremely angry at its trainer)
Ampharos:14%
3-2 Shining Kestral
(facepalm) This is what I get for not looking at Ampharos too often. Ampharos has naturally high Special Defense. I correct my mistake by sending in Leafeon. I’ll use Wish as he uses Toxic, then slam it with Leaf Blade, and use Heal Bell afterwards.
Flynn walks away with the kill, and Leafeon comes in, as she resists Discharge. The likelihood of Protect is slim, and I decide to smack her with a Toxic, which in hindsight, might not have been the best idea, as Leafeon may have been carrying Heal Bell.
===============
Begin turn #46
Forest Queen used Wish!
Forest Queen made a wish!
Flynn used Toxic!
Flynn's attack missed Forest Queen!
Forest Queen's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Forest Queen regained 20/334 (5%) of its health!
Leafeon:56%
Ampharos:20%
The miss works too…hax is pretty biased today…Either way, Ampharos is going down.
Dear hax, go DIAF.

Love,
Shining Kestral
===============
Begin turn #47
Flynn lost 20% of its health!
Flynn fainted!
The wish came true!
Forest Queen regained 144/334 (43%) of its health!
Garnet was hurt by Spikes!
Leafeon:100%
Ampharos:(mad that Toxic missed)
2-2 Tied
In comes Persian. I decide to Protect on the Fake Out.
Only Persian and Venusaur remain. Persian can't hope to beat Drapion 1 vs 1, so I send her out against Leafeon, to assist Venusaur one last time.
===============
Begin turn #48
Forest Queen used Protect!
Forest Queen protected itself!
Garnet used Fake Out!
Forest Queen protected itself!
Persian:62%
He’ll probably use Taunt, which is the best choice for him. I decide to Leaf Blade him, though. The game is slowly ending.
I wish that didn't happen, as Persian likely would have scored a nice 20% damage off of Leafeon. However, Leafeon was at 100%. She did not get Leftovers recovery, which is a small comfort. I Taunt here to stop any more Wish shenanigans, but again, it was a bad move.
===============
Begin turn #49
Garnet used Taunt!
Forest Queen fell for the taunt!
Garnet lost 62% of its health!
Garnet fainted!
Hyacinth was hurt by Spikes!
Persian:(hissing in its grave)
2-1 Flashrider57
Finally, Venusaur rears its head. A good move would be Sleep Powder, although he’ll probably use Substitute.
My hope here lies in Venusaur, but quite honestly, I am quite discouraged at this point. Hyacinth takes 24% just switching in. Here, I am at an impasse, and this was probably the most important decision of the game that will set the tone of the rest of the match. Again, hindsight grants me clarity on what I should have done. But really, at this point, I was starting to think I had already lost this match.
===============
Begin turn #50
Flashrider57 withdrew Forest Queen!
Flashrider57 sent out Skorpion (lvl 100 Drapion ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Skorpion!
Skorpion lost 43/344 (12%) of its health!
Skorpion lost 47/344 (13%) of its health!
Drapion:54%
Venusaur:60%
Or Sludge Bomb. I decide to set up my Sub, as I’m sure that I can defeat Venusaur now.
My brain asks, "Why didn't you use Sleep Powder!?" and I don't have an answer because I'm completely drained at this point, having lost all confidence in my battling abilities. I was ready for this match to end. Drapion would set up a substitute, and proceed to beat my Venusaur 1 vs 1.
===============
Begin turn #51
Skorpion used Substitute!
Skorpion lost 86/344 (25%) of its health!
Skorpion made a substitute!
But it failed!
Drapion:29%
Venusaur:64%
And that’s why Substitute is useful. It’s easy sailing from here on out.
===============
Begin turn #52
Skorpion used Crunch!
Venusaur:20%
===============
Begin turn #53
Skorpion used Crunch!
Skorpion's substitute took damage for it!
Venusaur:26%
===============
Begin turn #54
Skorpion used Crunch!
Skorpion's substitute took damage for it!
Skorpion's substitute faded!
Venusaur:32%
===============
Begin turn #55
Skorpion used Crunch!
Skorpion lost 45/344 (13%) of its health!
Drapion:16%
Venusaur:14%
And that’s game.
It is only two weeks later, when Flashrider contacts me to invite me to warstory with him, and tells me that I still had a chance. Had I used Sleep Powder, I may have been able to make a comeback.
^Yes, it’s true. Had he used Sleep Powder (and also assuming that it hit), he could have killed Drapion with Sludge Bomb. Then, he Sleeps Leafeon and kills it with Sludge Bomb.
===============
Begin turn #56
@Flashrider57: gg
@Shining Kestral: long one, gg
We say our ggs. This was a hard-fought battle.
Flashrider and I say our ggs, and finally end this fight. If my Venusaur was a real creature, I would be able to see her exhaustion. Perhaps the flower on her back would droop.

Skorpion used Crunch!
Hyacinth lost 14% of its health!
Hyacinth fainted!
Drapion:16%
Venusaur:(falls to the ground with a big crash)
2-0 Flashrider57
Flashrider57 wins!
It was a long struggle, and in the end, the better player won. I made a number of mistakes during the match, and they were probably painful for some to read. Now, for the real reason I agreed to warstory this battle with Flashrider: it would force me to look at those mistakes again and force me to analyze them and what I should have done. I have learned a lot from warstorying this battle, and I will take those lessons and apply them to my future battles.

I think this battle showcases the importance of keeping a clear head. My frustration and crumbled resolve was my biggest enemy this battle, clouding my judgment and as a result, I would play badly.

I actually made a good amount of mistakes during the battle as well. I relied a lot on prediction, which isn’t always a good idea. Also, there were some stupid moves made by both of us. One of the reasons that I won was because Shining Kestral hadn’t been doing competitive battling for a while. Another was that luck was on my side, which drastically changed the battle. Additionally, he used a defensive team, which my team actually does well against. Finally, this warstory shows that three things decide a battle: the teams used by each side, how each player responds to problems, and luck.

Props:
- Sumo, my Hariyama, for being a good status absorber, and scoring two kills (both due to hax, unfortunately)
- Forest Queen, my Leafeon, for being a good Wisher, and also scoring two kills
- Hezekiah, Shining Kestral’s Hariyama, for scoring two kills, doing a great job of hurting my team, and being a great Whirlwinder (In my opinion, he gets the MVP award)
- Hyacinth, Shining Kestral’s Venusaur, for being a general beast.
- Shining Kestral, for having a great battle with me, as well as agreeing to have this warstory with me (and for his interesting commentary)
- You guys, for reading this
Slops:
- HAX. Even though hax is part of the game, I shouldn’t have gotten lucky that many times. Then again, I’ve had Lady Luck hate me a TON before (Once, my Altaria got parahaxed to death…by a Magikarp. Granted, Altaria had lost its item earlier in the match, but I didn’t want to turn tail just because of the Bouncing and Flailing fish. True story…)
- Myself, for poorly predicting, as well as other mistakes
- Aunt Missy, my Mismagius, because it was only a target for Hezekiah and Flynn (Shining Kestral’s Hariyama and Ampharos, respectively)
- Breezie, Shining Kestral’s Swellow, for not serving any use other than dying (unfortunately, it was due to hax)
- Baatsi, Shining Kestral’s Claydol, for just being Sumo’s punching bag, as well as only giving me a scare
- Once again, hax

PROPS:

-Flashrider57, for being a great opponent and asking me to warstory this battle with him.
-Sumo and Hezekiah, our Hariyamas. Both of them were critical players in this match.
-Hyacinth, my Subseeding Venusaur. The MVP of my team this match, easily.

SLOPS:

-Hax, for completely screwing me over in the following events (in order of appearance): Sleep Powder miss on Steelix, Ice Punch freeze, Revenge critting Swellow, Leech Seed miss, and Toxic miss. I will promptly sacrifice a Pikachu on the Altar of Hax after I finish this.
-Myself, for playing badly at several points. I had the ability to win this match, and lost, in no small part to poor decisions.
-Flashrider's Drapion for being faster than my Venusaur. Okay, not really.

A very enjoyable read and a very close battle. The hax gods were particularly ruthless during this battle, and unfortunately it was a big factor in determining the winner. The dual comments were presented well and showed the thought processes of both battlers throughout the battle. Overall very enjoyable and unlucky Shining Kestral.

Thanks for the great comments, Xav! I have to admit that I would have had a much tougher time if it weren't for the freezehax on Claydol and the crit on Swellow, as those two Pokemon can mess up my team a lot. Even though hax is part of the game, it shouldn't have come into play as much as it did in this battle. It was the second-most ridiculous case of hax I have ever seen. (For the most ridiculous case, look at my comment about hax in my Slops section. I swear that it actually happened...)

EDIT: @Lone Prodigy: I once had a battle that went over 100 turns. Also, I used orange so it would be easier to tell the difference between my comments and the battle log.

EDIT2: @HART4FLOON: I think he meant that he would ruin Omastar's Focus Sash.

Shining Kestral wasn't the best player (saying things like breaking Omastar's sash with Fake Out o.0), there was a bit of annoying hax, but overall, a decent battle.

7/10

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey Flashrider I've read some of it and I can't anymore. Please, please get rid of the orange font. Please and thank you. It's just so hard to read. I like it so far though. :)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
What I meant was that you thought Fake Out could break his sash, I wasn't trying to imply that you weren't expecting him to carry a sash. (hopefully that made sense? lol)
?????? uhh, quoi? You think using Fake Out won't break a Focus Sash?

Due to everyone's requests/pleas for mercy on their eyes, I have changed the orange text to brown. I decided for similar colors for the text relating to each player, so I did orange text with red for myself. At least it wasn't yellow...
Also, thanks for the positive comments!

this was very nicely written, but i didn't think the battle was all that exciting... personal preference perhaps.

I think this deserves an A for effort, but the battle itself was quite lacklustre. Both sides made heavy mistakes. Flashrider57 really should've concentrated on getting down hazards since his team is built around it, and he should've switched Mismagius in to block Claydol's Rapid Spin (since Shining Kestrel used Stealth Rock, Mismagius would even get a free Shadow Ball in). Shining Kestrel's biggest mistake was sacrificing Swellow for nothing. It's not just taking a hit that got it killed. Even if Swellow did get in unscathed, Flashrider57 had a Steelix. It's an easy switch-in and a free Roar and 25% damage on Swellow for nothing. As it is it's a play that has little benefits if it works and wastes a valuable sweeper if it fails ...

I think this was a decent battle, but one marred by a lot of misplays as well as some weird build choices (Persian without Hypnosis? Why not just use Ambipom then?).

I actualy enjoyed it, though the battle was mistake-ridden. The dual comments were good, and I enjoyed feeling some of the emotions that were going on, like the exaustion fealt by SK late in the game. Admittedly the Hax was a big part of the battle, but sometimes you really can't avoid that. I'd give you a 6.5/10 for good comments and a decent battle overall. You lost the 3.5 for the hax and some misplays. I can't wait to see commentary on this level with a really good hax-free battle!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)