Walrus An Audiophile’s Walrus (back from winter break!)

EXEMPLARY MALE VOICES
ADDED SONGS (cont.)​

Wait For The Moment - Vulfpeck (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Ampharos

I’ve listened to this album way too many times already. Each time I listen, I am impressed by how casual this highly technical singer sounds. The 1:45 line goes from falsetto to midrange to talking in a single sentence and the singer transitions effortlessly. The backing complements the vocals nicely and is unremarkable in its own perfect way.

I will say that the singer does incredible justice to this song but is not challenged very much in terms or range or dynamics by the track. I’m not counting this against the track, but I do think that this song is much easier to sing than, say, Somebody to Love by Queen.

The one thing I want to say is I have no idea which idiot decided to introduce an echo from 3:10-3:40? It’s hard to notice and I can understand why this might be optimal production for a singer with a thinner or less interesting voice, but I just cannot fathom what the reasoning was for this particular track.

An A for everyone involved except the producer who gets a fat F.

Thanks for submitting! I enjoyed listening.

Sugah Daddy - D'Angelo (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Da Letter El

Whoa! Can I just say, the Micro iDSD does justice to the thump of this song. This is so funky and SO much fun to jam out to. Pushes “interesting” as far as it can without getting to “overwhelming”. This is 5 minutes of variation on a single rift, across different instruments, vocals, dynamics, and production. Sometimes the variations can be a bit much (1:50 is really jarring and by far my least favorite part of this), but most of the time it’s the perfect combination of technique and taste and listenability. Damn I like this track.

I can’t tell how many people are singing? But I like all of them.

This song took me by the ears and held me captive for five minutes. Good stuff.

Take On Me - A-ha (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by ajhockeystar

It’s fun to listen to.

Not sure what justification or analysis I can give. It’s catchy without being repetitive, it’s upbeat without being hard in treble which a lot of pop songs sound grating for.

And besides, I’ve been listening to this for like 10 years so it’d be really hard for me to put this in any other category.

The 2:12 break sounds so good every time I swear to god.

Yeah not much I can say here, sorry, it’s a good song that I rock out to a lot.

Thinkin Bout You - Frank Ocean (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by ImmaFirinMahLazer

0:35 falsetto with character! That’s what I like most about Frank. His falsetto isn’t smooth and produced (I love Maroon 5 don’t get me wrong but fsr everyone sounds like Adam Levine lately). It’s got this nice controlled edge and rasp to it which is incredible, and is a godsend for a song like this where you need that kind of character in the voice. Honestly there’s a lot of emotion here. It’s such a chill song but there’s musicality and emotion to spare when you listen actively.

2:08 is an excellent bridge and I wish pop songs would have better bridges.

It’s so nice to listen to a chill song with a tempo and a beat. It’s difficult for me to listen to songs without a beat (or with a very, very slow one).

Thanks everyone for your submissions this week! I have two more songs to share with you.

The first song is Wolv's submission. I did not listen to it and I recommend that you do not listen to it either.

The second song is my personal submission for exemplary male voice.

The three names that came to mind almost immediately were Mumford and Sons, Chet Faker, and Bon Iver. I was lucky enough to see Bon Iver live this summer and really enjoyed it.

I'll update OP with submissions and standings.

Category 2 is due by Monday afternoon (but I'll probably do a review tomorrow night of all of the songs I get at that time and there'll be another early update if everyone gets their shit in).

Please send me a song I can groove to!

4:17 AM]botan:
whats apricitys second walrus category

[4:21 AM]apricity:
lmao

[4:21 AM]apricity:
well

[4:22 AM]apricity:
i'm trying to figure out a way to word

"a song i can nod my head to"

and struggling

so i settled on "a song i can groove to" which i think is a less awkward way of wording what i mean?

[4:23 AM]botan:
so not quite dancing but makes u move ur body essentially

[4:23 AM]apricity:
yeah

[4:23 AM]botan:
perfect category for party rock anttehm

[4:23 AM]apricity:
really is

Last edited:
Reveal starts now!

I assign each song a score after listening to it, without necessitating any type of quota for the categories. I'm happy to say that I added a majority of the songs you submitted this round. But let's get started with some of the songs I didn't like so much.

SONGS TO GROOVE TO
DISLIKED SONGS
Derrick is a Strange Machine – Ashbury Heights (Reviewed on Youtube)
Submitted by VuvuzelaBzz

There wasn’t enough in this song to keep me entertained. I wasn’t a fan of the voice of the singer which I felt had a dull characteristic and was overproduced to create the illusion of depth. The backing was hard on the treble and didn’t offer much outside of repeating a single rift over the course of the song. Not a lot of variety across the song. Maybe this just isn’t my thing.

Dead Girl Walking – Heathers musical (Reviewed on Spotify)
Submitted by Hannahh

Sexual, angry, pained voice and lyrics that have been very much let down by the background.

Background seems muted compared to the voice and content. I can’t tell if it’s my recording or what, but the guitar seems a shade darker than it should be. This is especially at 0:47 where honestly I’d have expected the guitar and drums to really step up to build on the mood. Really good and expressive voice.

The closest thing I can think of to this song is Rent. There’s something just really sparse about the backing of song in particular when I compare it to the other rock musical I know. Does anybody else get it? I went ahead and listened to “Light My Candle” after this one and I was right in my impression. There’s a lot to be desired where the backing is concerned.

Bounce (Radio Edit) – Calvin Harris (reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Duskfall98

Feels, My Way, I Found You, and a large list of other Calvin Harris songs get instantly added. I’m kind of unhappy with this one. I haven’t heard it much before and it’s just repetitive and hard on the treble and it gets kind of grating on the ears after just two minutes. Nice tune but I wish there was less of it and more of something else...?

Solid club song, probably not something I’d listen to at home.

Dsco – Sweet Trip (Reviewed on TIDAL)

D’Angelo would’ve been good for this category to be honest. Was not a fan of this song, gave it three listens, I think my issue with it is that it’s just too loud without variation. I wish that there was more going on than fairly monotonous walls of sound. I’m into this style of music (like passion pit!) but in passion pit’s music there’s a lot less noise and layering. Unfortunate pass from me.

SONGS TO GROOVE TO
LIKED SONGS​

A lot of polarization this round saw only two saw land in this category.

Flesh Without Blood – Grimes (reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Texas Cloverleaf
Link

Echo at 0:36 (but really this applies to evyerhwere there’s an echo in this song) can be overwhelming and ruins it all. 2:14 is a pretty noteworthy example where I really want to enjoy the song but I can’t because everything is being played twice. The singer has a great voice, and I get really annoyed at how disguised it is sometimes. There’s an echo on this singers voice through the ENTIRE TRACK. Why??

The tune’s fun although I think the backing can be a little bit relentless. I guess that’s the word I’d use to describe this song. I talk too much shit about the song but I really do like it, and it frustrates me that it’s not good because this honestly seems like an artist I would really like. It’s like a passion pit/alt-j love child. But it’s just too much to listen to for me to add it. Please submit this band again but maybe a song that showcases the voice of the singer more: she’s so good, it’s this wonderful powerful mystical treble and I want more of it and I want to hear it with clarity. Fun tune as well.

Amber – 311 (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Nait
Link

This song reminds me a lot of the song you sent me last time in that the tune is nice, and the song goes nowhere for about 3 and a half minutes. I listened to this a few times to make sure I didn’t miss anything, but I dunno, the same line and rift just really isn’t enough to capture my attention for this duration of time. I almost feel like I'd enjoy the instrumental version of this song more than the actual version because at least then I can put it on as background music.

Ranking this higher than the other songs because I do think that there’s potential here that’s been held back by a failure to vary on a nice tune.

Last edited:
Honorary addition to the 2 points club:

Reptilia – The Strokes (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by rssp1

You get 4 points minus 2 please submit something that fits the category that’s not already on my top 10 most played thank you.

Before announcing the 10 songs that I've just added to my spotify songs, I'd like to highlight my favorite submission this round. Are you ready to go back to the 70s?

SONGS TO GROOVE TO
ADDED SONGS​

Stayin Alive – Bee Gees (Reviewed on TIDAL)

FUCK THIS SOUNDS GOOD ON TIDAL I have never heard the hifi version of this before and it’s like the smoothest silk on the inside of my ear. This is wonderful music.

The vocals are so fucking good! So much character and roughness in the high falsetto (2:24) leads into the smoother falsetto for the chorus (2:33). It almost makes you forget how wonderful the backing is until you hear the guitars come in at 2:58, and then the strings at 3:06 and the brass shortly after. Lush orchestral backing on the sickest guitar hook known to man, wonderful creative vocals, fast beat to nod my head to. Oh hell yes.

SONGS TO GROOVE TO
ADDED SONGS
Yeah! – Usher, Lil Jon, Ludacris (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Oddish.
What a fucking throwback. I haven’t heard this in ages, and I’ve had it on repeat today after Oddish submitted it. I love how the voices contrast on this track. 0:53 into the chorus exemplifies what I’m talking: Usher’s smooth voice singing over the guttural affirmations of (I can’t actually tell who it is lol). Production is top notch. Bells and whistles (literally) sparsely accentuate a solid, catchy beat. The variety of voices really makes this track for me. Another song that I really liked was “Crack A Bottle” and this song has a lot of similarities to that: a medley of interesting male voices over a catchy tune.

The only complaint I have about this song in particular is that the backing track can get a little bit hard on the treble.

I Want You Back – Jackson 5 (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Energy

Listen to this song on good headphones and hifi. Start with the clarity of the piano, then the thump of the bass, then the strings build up slowly before the voice comes in like buttermilk. Listen to the separation of the instruments. The bass sings a different melody from the strings which is different from the the voice, but they somehow come together. It sounds like everything is playing their own tune, every instrument is a star. But they synergize so well together. There’s so much going on in this song. I’ll admit that I procrastinated listening to the other songs by playing this on repeat, even though I knew exactly what grade I was going to give it as soon as I saw the song title.

American Boy – Estelle, Kanye West (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Nuxl

This song confused the bejesus out of me. For the entire verse starting at 0:48 there is a lot of distortion on the lower ranges. I checked the TIDAL recording, the spotify recording, and youtube (although it’s much less obvious there but that’s function of quality). I guess it’s an intentional effect done in post? I guess maybe to give Estelle more of an amy winehouse vibe? I seriously don’t understand these people.

You know, I could really get into these songs. I’ve always like empire state of mind and love the way you lie. I’ve not heard this one before. I also have not heard of Estelle before, but her voice reminds me a lot of female singers that I’m a fan of. Kanye West is forgettable on this track, but he serves his purpose as a counterbalance to the otherwise very treble-heavy tune. Fun listen.

It Gets Better – GriZ (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by vooper

Oh boy. I haven’t heard this particular song before but GRiZ is pretty much everything I like in music. Catchy tune that makes me tap to, soulful, funky, varied, creative.

1:26 yes! Such a good groove out of this. Good tune, well paired to bring jazz/soul into a bass-y, thumpy tune. The rapper at 1:56 is a bit conflicting: I want to like him, but somehow it sounds a bit out of beat with the rest of the song. I will also say that this song is a little heavy on the high ranges. Good Times Roll is much more my jam.

These are all nitpicks, this is a good song and I’ve added it to my library.

You Will Recall Our Names – Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (reviewed on Youtube)
Submitted by Lectrys

Yo I’ve been on a video game music binge lately. Ever since the Joker announcement came out I’ve been listening to the Life Will Change instrumental on basically repeat.

Xenoblade 2 is my favorite game of all time so this is a good start. 0:46 is sweet, especially when it gets quiet at 0:55 before hitting you with a fat sequence. And again at 2:02/2:34. I really think the quieter parts of this song are where the songwriting and musicality stands out. But of course it’s in contrast to the sick rock of the rest of the song. I think this song repeats somewhere around the 3 minute mark so I’m going to pretend the song stops there.

Great song. Not as awe inspiring as the song for Gormott day, but fantastic in its own right. This doesn’t really fit the category but unless your name is rssp1 I really don’t care about the category all that much anyway, as long as you made an effort to fit it in.

Toxic – Britney Spears (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by ImmaFirinMahLazer

I’m tired and this is pretty much always an auto-add for me, ticks all the right boxes, been listening to this since forever. 2:40 always gets me. Love her growl next to her croon and her rasp.

I don’t like a lot of her other works but this one is great.

Handlebars – Flobots (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Steven Snype

Oh! That’s what this song is called!

These types of songs define themselves by how well they build to a climax. This one does it well. A lot of the instruments chosen to complement the beat were surprising when first introduced (1:04) but they all ended up working surprisingly well.

When the rapper comes back after the break at 2:18 I’m convinced by the temper in his voice. I’d like to have heard him strain a little more in the final verse.

The highlight of this track is for me the way the different instruments enter and interact with each other. The rapper is a bit unremarkable, but as a voice to convey emotion and to give the track something interesting in the midrange he’s completely fine.

Nonsense – Madeon (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by JALMONT

I was worried when this song started because I thought it might be a bit like Sweet Trip and just end up getting too loud and layered. I was so happy when 0:50 hit: this electronic song is very melodic and focuses more on the music than the volume. The song sounds clean the whole way through (as opposed to the Grimes song) and has distinct, varied verses. It’s fun to listen to and doesn’t get tiring for the whole 4 minutes. The outro might actually be my favorite part of this song.

Last edited:
Sometimes at night, I unwind with a cigar and a glass of smooth whiskey. Send me a song that you think might pair well with this activity!

I'll review when I get a decent number of submissions in, probably Friday night.

I realized that I missed a few things in my last update.

This is Wolv's submission for last round. I did not listen to it.

Viper submitted a song for category 1 that I admittedly have not had the chance to listen to yet, but I will soon. There were a few secondary submissions for Cat 2: Viper submitted Marian Hill- Down, Wicked - Griz, and Arabella - Arctic Monkeys and all three of those were already in my library. Texas submitted Doin It Right as a secondary submission for Cat 2: it's been added, I liked the feel of the band and bonus points for being from Vancouver!

Here is my personal submission for Category 2: Songs to groove to

Last edited:
Also after bringing up how close Grimes was to an add for me, Texas showed me Realiti which I ended up really liking!

I've had a few to drink tonight already so I'll just go through all my subs tonight. Expect sparser comments, and I'll probably only go through each song twice.

edit never mind see you tomorrow probably

Last edited:
Happy Friday.

So, I was going to finish this up last night. Some things have happened since and this morning I booked a ticket for a 50 hour train ride from Chicago to Cali. It's pretty bad, thanks for asking, my data bill this month is going to be gargantuan.

I've finished Cat 2. Slightly fewer submissions this time round at 11. Thanks for waiting. Without further ado,

WHISKEY AND CIGARS
DISLIKED SONGS​

Piano Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op. 13 “Pathetique”: II. Adagio cantabile (Reviewed on Spotify)
Submitted by Lectrys

The song and the interpretation on Spotify are both fine.

I tried my best to give this a fair listening, I just really can’t listen to classical piano. It bores me. It goes over my head. Orchestral pieces, yes please send me as much as you want if it’s good. Piano only…eh. I played for 12 years growing up and I’ve had enough of it. Give me something with drums in it please. Sorry, I really should have struck this as a style of music I won’t judge fairly in the OP, if you want to resubmit for this category you can.

Queremos Paz – Gotan Project (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by KnightsofCydonia

So this song starts out as Lazytown, goes into this groovy rift but never emerges from it.

I’m learning a lot about the type of music that I enjoy. I really do need some kind of progression in my songs. This song interests me, it’s incredibly U shaped with essentially no midrange (big X in my book) but it’s funky and weird enough to be interesting. But when you get to a point like 1:30 where tension begins building in the song it’s just really disappointing for the song to revert to the same tune it’s been on and the same tune it will be on for the entire 5 minutes. Honestly this song might be an add for me if it was truncated down to 2. But there isn’t enough here to interest me for the full 5 minutes.

Knights, I do like the songs you’ve submitted and I wouldn’t want you to change the type of your submissions because of your score, this song was a miss for me but I feel like songs that are similar to this but have more variety in them would do well with me.

Untitled 05 – Kendrick Lamar (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Nuxl

I don’t get this one. It’s just weird and hard to listen to. There’s a strong beat in the sub-bass which distracts from the jazz. There’s no direction but also nothing I find particularly attractive about it. It’s all over the place with the production the instruments. It doesn’t find a groove and therefore does not come back to it. It’s this weird psychedelic rap which I’ve never heard before and I don’t think I need to again.

Maybe if I was really REALLY far gone I would be really impressed with this track.

A Love Supreme, Pt 1 – John Coltrane (Reviewed on TIDAL)

I'm sure it's a good song, I guess I just don’t get this type of music.

Don’t get me wrong, I like jazz. But I don’t think I like this type of jazz. I listened to this whole thing three times and I just don’t pick up on anything that interests me. I tend to like…smoother jazz? Slower, less rhythmically chaotic. I certainly wouldn’t be able to follow this on an altered state of mind.

Going to go with a slightly different order this time. First off, an outstanding submission by Steven Snype!

WHISKEY AND CIGARS
ADDED SONGS

Bloody Well Right - Supertramp (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Steven Snype

This is my favorite new song submitted this walrus so far. Thanks for showing me this song Snype.

Thoroughly enjoyable the whole way through. The sound of 0:58 is something I’ve always been attracted to and it’s so rare to see this style of rock done so damn well. It’s like some kind of Steely Dan / Lenny Kravitz love child. You have this artistic, beautifully done jazz, but at the same time you have a basic, primal beat to rock out to. The climax is built up through variations (4:00) not through volume.

It’s laid back and never pretends to be anything more than the groovy tune that it is.

3:13 is complete garbage please can someone remove this bit from this track I don’t know why it’s here.

But oh man, this song is so good. I spent way too much time listening to this tune.

WHISKEY AND CIGARS
ADDED SONGS

Layla (Unplugged) – Eric Clapton (Reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Energy

Eric Clapton is one of my top three artists. Love the soul in his voice, the guitar, the simple melodies, the sound of his guitar. Layla in particular is a song I listen to a lot and honestly if Energy hadn’t submitted this song I would’ve given some Eric Clapton as my personal submission for this category.

I’m not going to record timestamps for this song: it’s hard for me to pick out the specific bits that I like. I’m a sucker for clean instrumentals (acoustic guitar + piano with some drums is all I need in my life), and Eric Clapton’s voice is so good. This song is phenomenal. There’s a kind of energy built in to the tune of the song, and Clapton’s voice edges towards it but stays calm and that creates this fantastic sort of tension where you wait for the song to get even more wild but it doesn’t. It’s exciting and catchy and soulful.

The Night – Morphine (original reviewed on Youtube, orchestral version on TIDAL)
Submitted by VuvuzelaBzz

Ah, it frustrates me so much to not be able to find this song on either spotify OR tidal. If this was on Spotify I could see myself listening toI’ it all day long. Good rumble on the bass, sad melancholic voice that stays interesting. 3:20 is surprisingly strong. What makes this song is honestly the gorgeous 2:36 “verse”. After hearing it, I realized that I really should go listen to the orchestral version on TIDAL.

And I did! I have to say, I like the live orchestral version a lot better than the album version. The main “tune” is this deep rumbling brass and it plays around a female vocalist so well. It’s so powerful when the vocals take a back seat. The songwriting on this track is characterized by a clear recognition of the goals of this song. It’s a spiritual kind of pain, and the energy on the track is in its restraint and faithfulness to melancholy. 3:30 on the orchestra version is incredible.

Feeling Good – Michael Buble (reviewed on TIDAL)

I only recently realized that this song is about a breakup. I love the songwriting. This might be my favorite song that’s been written in recent pop history. It’s jazzy, fun, easy to listen to without being simple.

Here are my only criticisms of the piece. Buble’s voice is too smooth. It’s too level and trained and it doesn’t have the roughness around the edges. 2:49 for instance is a verse that I want to hear with strain and with scream and with roughness. This song needs something harsh in it and I don’t get it with Buble’s voice.

Still an add.

Last edited:
Special shoutouts to:

Cream on Chrome - Ratatat (reviewed on Spotify)
Submitted by rssp1

After too much youtube in 2018 all this song makes me feel now is hungry lmfao.

You get 2 points for knowing that I love Ratatat and have heard this song a million times and submitting it anyway.

A Criminal Mind (Live) - Styx (reviewed on Spotify)
Submitted by Texas Cloverleaf

I spent far too much time on the Gowan version of this song trying to decide what I was missing. I was missing this. There is a power in Styx's vocal treatment of this song that brings this song to live. 4:23 is excellent. The Styx version is also much less one dimensional than the Gowan version: I especially appreciate the piano/electric guitar/croon/rock scream juxtaposition at 4:50 or so, it really works for me. This song is generally a bit louder than what I normally would listen to at night, but hey like I said I really dont care about these categories.

Last edited:
And finally,

WHISKEY AND CIGARS
LIKED SONGS​

Smooth Operator – Sade (reviewed on TIDAL)
Submitted by Oddish
Link

I think this is the first song submitted by Oddish that I haven’t heard before. I like the tune, the jazz, the instruments, even the melody, but somehow the voice doesn’t quite cut it for me.

The start 0:25 worried me a little bit because I’m not sure I’m convinced by this voice. I ended up not being a fan. It sounds like she’s straining into her deep range and honestly I can’t get over the fact that the overwhelming feeling I get over the entire track is that this singer has a congested nose. I do have a bias towards male voices because I find female voices a bit monotonic and less interesting. I kind of felt the voice at the 0:57 mark but by 1:15 Sade’s voice was somehow both hard on treble and on the lower ranges. It’s hard for me to articulate what I don’t like about her voice: it’s not even anything serious, it’s just not for me I guess. Solid like though, gorgeous song, love everything but the singer’s voice. 2:45 was great.

Crescent – Anomalie
Submitted by Viper
Link

Barely. I might have to get back to this later because it straddles the line real hard between an Add and a Like.

I’m a big fan of jazz influenced electronic music. But for some reason the electronic portion of this song just seems really jarring compared to the rest of it. Especially at 1:41 which is the most extreme example. I don’t think the transition was done well, so it seems like I was listening to two different songs. I’d like to have seen the two styles enhance each other and play on each other, rather than being divided into sections.

Very close, but I think this’ll have to be in the middle category for me. By far the strongest song of all those that I didn’t add.

This was my favorite week so far to review. So many new voices and styles that I normally would not have the chance to listen to. Thanks for sharing some of your life with me through music.

As always, two final videos.

The first one is Wolv's submission. I listened to it this week and it's definitely something very special. This is something I can picture myself drinking whiskey and smoking cigars to.

I'm just kidding it's a meme, where do you even get any of this shit?

Well, I submitted this song to Knights' walrus last week and got something like 12th place. I now submit this song for my own walrus and award myself #1. Congratulations, me.

Well, I'm spending the next 40 some hours on a train. It takes me through mountains and plains. Send me a song that I can listen to as I look out the window at the Rockies.

I'll listen to your submissions pretty much immediately as you send them in tomorrow, please give me something to do thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)