Rejected - Inactive An option in settings to use the original Pokémon cries for Gen 1-5 Pokémon in Gens 6-8

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Just gonna revive this with some questions, don't mind me.

Some RBYers I talk with really don't like the Gen 7-8 cries and have asked about an option akin to this for a while. If need be I'd happily get all the cry files myself to at least cover that generation. I know some newer-gen people miss stuff like BW Druddigon as well but those would be harder to find...and I'd likely not be the one to do it.

I've tried to find where the cries are stored since I wanted to see how feasible this is, but it seems to either be private or I'm a dumbass. Or both, because that's very possible. So...is it feasible?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Just gonna revive this with some questions, don't mind me.

Some RBYers I talk with really don't like the Gen 7-8 cries and have asked about an option akin to this for a while. If need be I'd happily get all the cry files myself to at least cover that generation. I know some newer-gen people miss stuff like BW Druddigon as well but those would be harder to find...and I'd likely not be the one to do it.

I've tried to find where the cries are stored since I wanted to see how feasible this is, but it seems to either be private or I'm a dumbass. Or both, because that's very possible. So...is it feasible?
Cries are stored in https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/audio/cries/. Presumably, you'd just need to hook up logic in the client to know to point to a different directory when the match is Gen 5 or less, or when the user has that toggle checked. If the toggle allows for oldgen cries in modern gens, you'd also need logic to ensure it knows to point to the main directory for Gen 6 or later mons.

That's all assuming this is OKed - not sure how much bandwidth would be added by adding another ~650 cries.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)