An OU RMT

Sup Smogon, I am new to Gen V having only done Gen IV battle. With that said, I hope my team can fare well and am looking for suggestion, as I have done research.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Swampert@Leftovers
Nature: Careful
Ability: Torrent
EV: 240 HP/ 252 Sp. Def / rest in Attack (somewhere around 20 I think)
1. Stealth Rock
2. Stone Edge
3. Earthquake
4. Toxic

My bulky lead. I set up with Stealth Rock and proceed to annoy with Toxic. /Earthquake are great STABS. The reason I have Toxic over Roar is because I have Skarmory. In addition, Swampert also have great synergy with Skarmory, as they both cover each others' weaknesses. Skarmory is weak to Lightning/Fire, which Swampert resits, Swampert is weak to Grass which Skarmory resists. In addition, Swampert can be very useful vs thel ikes of Volcorana and weather users such as Ninetales/Tyraintar/Hippowdon are shutdown by STAB Earthquake. Stone Edge + Earthquake provides great coverage, resisted by only Breloom (in OU). I also know what you're thinking, why not Gastrodon over Swampert? Stealth Rock. The lack of Stealth Rock made me go Swampert.

2. Skarmory@ leftovers
Nature:Impish
Ability: Sturdy
EV: 252 HP/ 232 DEF / 24 Speed
1. SPikes
2. Roost
3. Whirlwind
4. Brave Bird

One of the best Physical walls. Scizor and Breloom are threats that need to be accounted for and this is how I account for them. In addition to great typing, it has synergy with Swampert with not just type coverage, but Spikes/SR. Whirlwind is great for teams that really on set-up (dragon dance) as well as just general entry hazard annoyance. Just 1 Spikes layer+ Stealth Rock + Whirlwind can cause high damage. Brave Bird is Skarmory's form attack in form a powerful STAB.

3. Azelf@ Choice Band
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Levitate
EV: 252 Speed/Attack
1. Zen Headbutt
2. Ice Punch
3. Fire Punch
4. Trick

With 115 Speed and 125 Attack and a huge movepool, Azelf is underestimated. I don't think people expect Azelf and when they do see one they either think it's a lead Azelf or special sweeper. However this assumption can be wrong as they switch in the wrong Pokemon to pit against Azelf. In addition, TrickBand can easily screw over set-ups, walls, and sweepers. Zen Headbutt allows for a strong STAB that can flinch, Ice Punch is for Dragons (Salamence, Haxorus, Garchomp, Dragonite) and even Tyranitar and Fire Punch can hit the Ferrothorn and Scizor for good damage as well. Any counters that I suspect switching in can be screwed by TrickBand. In addition, should I not be able to pull off a Trick, Choice Band still remains useful.

4. Metagross@ Life Orb
nature: Adamant
Ability: Clear Body
EV: 252 Attack/ HP
1. Bullet Punch
2. Hammer Arm
3. Ice Punch
4. Thunderpunch

A powerful late game sweeper. because of it's low speed and natural bulk, I invested in HP as opposed to Speed. Bullet Punch is a STAB that is 1st priority that can deal with Terrakion, Mamoswine and Tyranitar as well finish off low HP foes or frail targets that are neutral vs Meta, without having to rely on Mash's inaccuracy. Hammer Arm's lowering of SPeed is redundant to me as I do not have SPeed EVs and can inflict damage to Blissey and Ferrothorn. Thunderpunch can check Starmie, Slowbro,Gyarados, Jellicent, Tentacruel, Rotom- W and Volcarona. A SE Ice Punch covers Dragons like Salamence and Dragonite and is useful vs Hippowdon. The BoltBeam combo on Metagross in addition to Hammer Arm provides type coverage that can be very Intimidating, since even Heatran can't afford a switch in to Hammer Arm

5. Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
Ability: Justified
EV: 252 Speed/ Sp. Attack
1. Scald
2. Secret Sword
3. HP Electric
4. Hydro Pump

Keldeo is a great Scarf user that is somewhat hampered by a poor movepool. I wish it had Ice Bream but oh well. Scald is my main STAB as it is more reliable than Hydro Pump and has the burn chance as well. Hydro Pump is just there when Keldoe counters are down and a miss won't hamper me at that point. Secret Sword can deal suprisngleh uge damage to Blissey and Tentacruel and is also a great STAB. HP Electric allows for a surprise attack against Starmie, tentacruel, SLowking and Jellicent.

6. Infernape@Life Orb
Nature: Naive
Ability: Iron Fist
EV: 252 Attack/Speed
1. Overheat
2. Close COmbat
3. Stone Edge
4. U-Turn

Because of Infernape's huge movepool and high Sp. Attack/Attack a mixed set can cause havoc. If they send Ferrothorn or Scizor, BAM Overheat as well as Skarmory can be dealt with. Should they send Latias or Celebi U-Turn does the trick. Infernape with Stone Edge can counter Gyarados, Salamence, Dragonite, and Volcarona. Jellicent and Tentacruel who resists both STAB can take a suprising huge damage from Stone Edge

Hey there!
So, the team looks good.
But a few tips and ideas I have there:
What would you say, to run Ice Punch over Waterfall on Swampert?
With Ice Punch, you can hit more threats (think of gyarados; he is immune to earthquake and resist waterfall).
If you want play TrickAzelf, I would suggest to play Choice Band, to have nevertheless the boost from your choice item. If you play choice band, U-Turn might be an good option to.
On metagross, I would suggest Zen-Headbutt, to have a very strong STAB-Move, but thats only an idea.
One other (and last) idea is, to play Expert-belt on Nape, you can try it out.
Hope I helped!

DarkGira

Hey thanks for reply! Anyway I was thinking of a change to Swampert move set, I was thinking Stone Edge + Earthquake. Stone Edge covers most threats Ice Punch does and covers the same threats that are weak to Water anyway. SE + EQ is near perfect coverage, the only OU Pokemon that resists it is Breloom. Would you recommend that?

Choice Band is a great idea that I'm going to change to. And for Metagross I was thinking of Ice Punch over Metoer Mash so I have that ElectricIce combo that has huge type coverage.

You are right about the Ice Punch however Ice Punch is stronger vs Garchomp/Mence/Dragonite. Meteor Mash is SE vs mostly the same thing Ice Punch is (Rock like T-Tar) but is less accurate, plus Ice Punch can cover Hippowdown as well. If Abomasnow appears I have Bullet Punch anyway.

I have also made some changes (CB Azelf kudos to DarkGiratina) and would like more feedback

Hey Teemo
Looking at your team you seem to lack checks to some very common Pokemon and teams. Pokemon like Politoed give you hell with your only check really being keldeo who even then can't be relyed on to switch into a rain boosted Hydro Pump. Even then why would they stay in and take the electric attack? even then I'm pretty sure it would be a 2HKO. There are many other problems with the team but that can only be expected from someone new to gen V such as your self. As much as i want to make changes to the team I will not. As I would likely be changing half your team.

For this reason I suggest Rotom-W. It has a nice 4x resistance to water as well as Levitate which is nice when we pair it with Infernape to make a nice little volt-turn core. When Poli is scared it goes crying to Ferro. This will give you momentum which the team currently lacks. It would make a nice replacment for Keldeo.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 220 Spd / 56 SAtk / 232 HP
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Swampert for me has lost its place in Ou as it is an inferrior lead to the likes of Deoxys-D plus takes heavy damage from all weather inducers excluding Tyranitar. Its just asking Ferro to switch in and set up. Gastrodon provides the exact same roles as Swampert just is a little more effective due to its ability and sheer bulk. Using Gastrodon also means maybe you could keep Keldeo though your only problem is then is that all offencive toeds carry Hidden Power Grass. Personally to make up for the loss of Keldeo I would use a more offencive Pokemon like Landorus.

Landorus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Skarmory and Infernape are good and fit well into the team though personally I would run Grass knot or Hp Ice over Stone Edge on Infernape. Expert Belt is also a pretty solid item on Infernape as if you play it right you can trick the opponent into beleiving your choiced.

Metagross has an odd set. Apart from the fact it is missing 256 evs the moveset is also pretty weird. Running standard may benefit you better.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

I don't like Azelf on this team to be honest. But if you insist on keeping him do so though I beleive your team would benefit more if you had a Pokemon like Latias. It doesn't mess with your synergy and checks allot of problems to the team.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Now I'm not brilliant myself but I beleive most of these suggestions will benefit you. Sorry for changing so much of the team :L

Hi thanks for the reply. The problem with some of your changes are:

1. To stale lol. My team looks like any other team after those changes. To bland an unfun.

2. The removal of Azelf into Latios means I have way to many Specials that can be walled by Tentacruel/ Blissey once Infernapes goes down.

However your change from Keldeo into Rotom - W means I am lacking a Scarf user which puts me at a disadvantage vs a team with a Scarf (which is every team).

I do agree with you on my Metagross set as well as the change of Swanpert in for Landorus. I will have to test that out. I will use that exact set however I will replace SR and MM with Bullet Punch and Ice Punch. I forgot Metagross had Pursuit access and can be used to check Latios

You helped me so its only fair I help you! Anyway while the previous guy made to many changes for it to be an RMT lol it was more like him changing your team 100% as opposed to just making modifications, as your team seems fine as is. However I will say he is completely right in two regards:

1. Your Metagross set is wired. BoltBeam was rampant D/P/P but is not as needed. You are better off keeping Ice Punch and running the set he suggest but running Ice Punch over SR. The usefulness between MM or BP is debatable, I would rather have meteor mash as it will do more when counters are down but bullet punch is viable

2. Rotom-W over Swampert. Swampert seems not as useful as he was in D/P. he is still viable but I feel Rotom-W offers better checks against Rain teams. Also he keeps that synergy with Skarmory. Rotom has stealth rock weakness but he may not need a spinner as Rotom is bulky and can recover with Pain Split.

Thanks 18! I haven't yet tried Rotom but I have switched Metagross set to what was recommended. I'm on iPhone so it's tedious to change the op but ill get to it later. Can anyone else help me out? Also I decided that since Pursuit will be on Metagross I changed U Turn for Grass Knot on Infenape

All right Teemo, your team is okay but you're using a few Pokemon that aren't viable anymore and are outclassed by other options.

First I'm going to suggest Terrakion over Infernape, Infernape is a good pokemon but it doesnt have much to offer to this metagame. I recommend the SubSalac set.

Set below

Terrakion @ Salac Berry / Rock Gem
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Nature: Jolly
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

Next Swampert. I suggest using Scarf Rotom-Wash over Swampert. Swampert isnt that great. It's much to slow for this meta and isnt really as bulky as it may look. Rotom is bulky and has Pain Split to help with longevity.

Set Below

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Then I would suggest using Special Defensive Heatran over Metagross. This gives you a way to break stall with Roar and pass status around with Toxic.

Set below

Heatran @ Leftovers
Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar

Hope this help and good luck.

-BlackRussian

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)