An OU stall team by umbarsc

So I've recently been playing a lot of UU battles, and decided I'd take a break and try to get back into OU. I made a stall team, my first one I've ever made in OU (I had a stall team in UU though), and it's been working pretty well for me. A couple of problems I noticed though:
  • Lack of a reliable Gyarados counter
  • Lack of a phazer
so I'd like some suggestions. It's been a lot of fun to use so far, and I'd like to stick with it.

At a glance:

---

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 156 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Taunt
- Roost
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
---

The entire team started when I decided that I wanted to lead with Skarmory. Taunt works very well to stop Bronzong, Ninjask, Hippowdon, and Swampert leads from setting up (though Hippowdon still claims the weather). Its Ground immunity is absolutely vital on a team with 3 Ground weaks. Everything else is completely standard and obvious.
---

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 SpA
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Ice / Earth Power
- Explosion
---

Like Taunt Skarmory, few expect Stealth Rock Heatran. Stealth Rock, on top of being an invaluable support move, is an amazing scouting move. Everything has some initial switch-in to Heatran, and this lets me see what they send in, so I can act acordingly and note their counter for next time. If they use a combination of Celebi and Heatran to take Fire Blasts and Earth Powers, I note that so I can predict what they'll send in next time. For the EVs, I chose an arbitrary SpA number that will OHKO Garchomp with HP Ice, though with only two moves Earth Power probably provides better coverage with Flamethrower. My main concern is Swords Dance + Outrage + Yache Berry Garchomps that will OHKO Vaporeon without Vaporeon ever breaking the Yache, which means Gengar can't revenge-kill it. Explosion is for a finisher, and to take out Blissey, but Taunt and Earth Power are options I'm seriously considering.
---

Drapion @ Leftovers
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 HP
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Crunch
- Brick Break / Knock Off
---

I've been using this guy in OU and absolutely loving him, despite the fact that he's UU. No one could ask for a better Celebi counter, and Taunt lets him set up Toxic Spikes very easily on unsuspecting Skarmory and the like. Standard again, not much to say.
---

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Def / 52 SpA
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Wish
- Ice Beam
- Protect / Hidden Power Electric / Roar
---

Passes Wishes, counters Garchomp. 52 SpA EVs are for the 269 Special Attack to OHKO non-Yache Chomp, which nowadays is the same as OHKOing Choice Scarf Garchomps only. Protect has obvious synergy with Wish, but HP Electric would give me a more reliable counter to Gyarados, and Roar would give me a phazer. Right now I have Protect, and it's worked very well, but HP Electric would be the next-best option.
---

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Def / 140 Spe / 116 HP
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Psychic / Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt / Grass Knot / Icy Wind
---

As you can see from the multiple slashes, this is the Pokemon I'm most uncertain about. As a Sleep absorber, Jirachi has been working great; his STAB moves and high defenses allow him to sponge hits from, and scare away, common sleep users like Gengar, Roserade, and Yanmega. Psychic is the obvious choice, but Flash Cannon hits Tyranitar hard and hits more neutral than Psychic. Thunderbolt is what I have in the last slot, meaning that this is my Gyarados counter, but it's unreliable for two reasons: one, the obvious Earthquake weak; and two, if I'm sleeping Gyarados can Taunt and start setting up. The latter is the main concern as most Gyarados run Stone Edge/Waterfall these days. Grass Knot is also an option to hit Hippowdon and Swampert on the switch. Yet another option would be Icy Wind, which would help a lot against Garchomp obviously, breaking its Yache on the switch and 2HKOing it when it's locked into Outrage.

The EVs are to outrun Heracross while making the most of the physical defense, but I'm wondering if just not being concerned by Heracross and maxing defenses wouldn't be a better option.
---

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Hypnosis
---

No stall team can counter everything, so this is to ensure that what I can't counter won't get away scot-free. Simple revenge-killer, Spin-blocker, and offensive threat.

Conclusion

This team suffers from a slight Gyarados weakness, slight Garchomp weakness, and a phazing problem, but otherwise this has been performing very successfully for me thus far, and it's been a lot of fun to use, despite how "boring" stall is. I'd appreciate advice and suggestions, though.

Discuss.

I don't think that Skarmory has the speed to run Taunt, unless its specifically for Bronzong. Which seems somewhat situational. Not many Pokemon will set up on Skarmory with the possibility for Whirlwind/Roar. Only Taunting Gyarados is even willing to try it. Azelf is an automatic switch out, because of Fire Blast/Flamethrower and Thunderbolt, and the Nasty Plot set is really rare in recent time.

Heatran is a gimmick right there, you might be better off using a ReStalk set, it seems more effective than a defensive set. I'm not sure though, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would use either Earth Power or HP Grass, HP Ice seems kind of hard, unless you paralyze Garchomp or Salamence, which you can't do without Jirachi having Body Slam, or a Thunder Waver. If you decide that a ReStalk set is better to use, have Life Orb over Leftovers, as it will increase damage, and you can rest off the recoil.

Please, use Whirlwind over Knock Off/Brick Break. You need a way to counter CM Cune, because when it sets up, your done, you don't have a very sufficient counter to it, that is if you don't use it on Vaporeon.

Vaporeon is a good set, I like how it isn't the standard 188 HP/252 Defense/68 SAtk set. Very specific too. I might consider Toxic too, as an option over Protect, it will help so much late game, especially when your left with only your tanks/walls.

You have the perfect opportunity to use my favorite set on Jirachi, it is incredibly effective if you know how to use it.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
252 HP/120 Def/136 Spe
Serene Grace
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Test it, it will work very well, believe me.

I might replace your Gengar with a Machamp. Blissey completely walls your team, and it will add to the Bulk of the team, as well as destroy Blissey. Use a Bulk Up or Choice Band/Scarf set, if you decide, it's well worth it.

I like the team, but Blissey will hurt your team, with almost every Pokemon being Special oriented.

JohnR011

Ew David
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Your phazing problem could be taken care of by getting rid of taunt for whirlwind/roar on Skarmory which I think you would find a lot more useful. Next, I would give Vaporeon HP Electric - this way, you will be able to counter Gyarados pretty well, and if all else fails, you could use Gengar to kill the Gyarados as long as he hasn't gotten more than one Dragon Dance.

Actually the speed for taunt works rather well, yea, I played you I think, but you swaped spiritomb, or am I mistaken? 3 Of your pokemon do not like dugtrio. I think that is too many. Well 2, drapion can take it I guess. Toxic Spikes does help against dugtrio. DDance ttar hurts your team a bit. since SE is 2HKO on skarmory and high crit chance, I hope you have enought time to set up your toxic spikes, you really need them early.

i recommend switching you lead to gengar as choice scarf hypnosis outspeeds pretty much everything right? this way, you can swap out taunt for whirlwind on skarmory to phaze.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
252 HP/120 Def/136 Spe
Serene Grace
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Psychic

in my opinion, this is a much better jirachi set. unlike above, i would use thunder because of the serene grace boost. this set ebcomes very bulky and has the ability to beat blissey with a few calm minds. (thanks to those 101 subs up.)

if you still want a sleep absorber, however, perhaps you could use heatran. he, too, becomes pretty bulky and is a good user of rest talk.

because of toxic spikes and taunt, drapion could also be your lead.

[i love drapion! he's too good for OU yeah? i use him on an UU team and he DOMINATES!]

Actually those problems you mentioned are easily fixed. Vaporeon is a great gyrados counter with hp electric as it can absorb waterfall. Drapion could easily use whirlwind over one of its attacks. I personally run t-spikes, whirlwind, brick break and night slash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)