ORAS OU Animals - Mega Hera balance(1700+)

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Hey, Freeroamer here with my first RMT. While I've always been more into UU and Ubers, I still play a lot of OU as I enjoy testing myself in the flagship tier and this is one of the best original teams I've built for this tier. I was bored of making teams that used one of the dominant megas of the tier in Metagross, Altaria or a Charizard, so I decided to go a more unconventional route with Mega Heracross as I love it's ability to smash teams up for something else to run through, and it's something that's screwed me over enough times x.x.

The song choice was simply the song I was listening to when I started making the team, it's overplayed to high hell but still finds it's way on quite a few of my playlists o.o.

Note that when I build a team, I generally tend to put the mons together first in terms of what roles/threats they cover and then decide on sets/spreads. I find once you have the build of your team, the best sets come naturally after.

Teambuilding Process:

Well I obviously wanted to start with Mega Hera, and Heatran seemed a natural choice, capable of checking bulky Fairies which are just about the only decent switchins to Hera.

I love Spikes in OU at the moment, a lot of teams are carrying hazard removal on mons that are meat and drink to Ferrothorn, such as Latias and Starmie, and it also helped me vs DD Taria who I'm currently weak to. Obviously on hazard stack a Defogger is rather contradictory, so I went with my personal favourite spinner in the tier currently in Starmie.

I was looking weak to typical threats to balanced teams such as LO Gengar and Landorus-i(altho lets be honest any team without Cresselia or Mgea Latias is gonna be weak to this monster) so I used the current flavour of the month to glue the team together a bit, and added Tornadus-T. This also can get U-Turns off the likes of Rotom-W and Heatran which allows Hera to fire off it's ridiculous attacks.

I wanted a secondary answer to Talonflame as well as a way to abuse the spikestacking nature of the team, I also wanted to be more secure vs Bisharp so I went for Garchomp in the last slot.

OK so looking at the mons I have, I chose to give rocks to Garchomp and run tank chomp, Spikes Ferro, defensive Starmie and AV Torn-T. I realised that this was looking a touch weak to faster offensive threats so I decided to use Scarf Heatran, partly cos it patched this weakness somewhat and partly because I like to run at least one unexpected set, it makes you much less predictable in your plays.

This team got me to the top 50 in the ladder which might not be seen as a great achievement by some, but it's the first time I've managed it using a team made only by myself which is why I decided to RMT it.

RMT.jpg

Team

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

The centrepiece of the team, this absolutely smashes balanced teams and is often my go-to vs defensive teams, opening up holes such that something else will be able to sweep through. The way I play this is generally via aggressive double switches against teams that lack a solid answer to it, as every opportunity to get it in vs those teams tends to be priceless. Bringing it in vs passive mons like Ferrothorn who can't really hurt it all that much and are immensely threatened by it is also a great way to play it. The EVs outspeed base 70s with a neutral or positive nature respectively depending on which you picked. I personally prefer Adamant but I can see the reasoning for a Jolly nature too.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Stone Edge
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Choice Scarf Heatran is often something that's overlooked, such is the bias towards Specially Defensive or Magma Strom sets. That only works in my favour, as this set can often catch opponents off guard as they take a fully invested Overheat compared to a minimal investment Lava Plume. It also glues my team in a sense that it's my best check to faster attackers such as Mega Manectric and Mega Lopunny, able to do huge damage while outspeeding them. Set is fairly standard ScarfTran, Overheat for killing power, Stone Edge for burds, Flash Cannon for fairies and Earth Power for rounding out coverage. Once upon a time you could have the luxury of running Modest but Timid is necessary to outspeed certain threats like the two mentioned earlier.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Protect / Power Whip

Very standard set for a very standard mon, the way this thing spreads passive damage through teams is unbelievable and it's definitely one of the most important members of the team in facilitating wins, be it through chipping threats into KO range via Leech Seed / Spikes or stopping a something sweeping, it almost always gets the job done. The set is one I'm sure you've all seen before, with really the only notable point being that I prefer Protect over say Power Whip. I just feel that with the recoil and damage something like Mega Gyarados is going to take from Iron Barbs+Gyro Ball+the recoil from Garchomp, I don't see it as a huge issue.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Another very standard set, put here to fulfil a few key roles, the most important of which are hazard removal and a CM Keldeo check. This functions excellently alongside Ferrothorn, able to switch in against many things that would threaten it, esp. the ever so common Heatran and dispatch any hazards it might have lain down as it switches out. Spreading burns is nice with Spikes support, it means I can usually win the war of attrition vs other balance teams and gives Hera more opportunity to smash them up. Spread outspeeds Thundurus and makes switching into Mega Metagross a little easier.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Superpower

Just an amazing thing at the moment, this set greatly benefits this team in providing a check to several threats such as Gengar and Landorus who would otherwise devastate me. It also gives me a second Keldeo check which I see as very important for every balance team in OU currently, especially as my main check is vulnerable to Pursuit. The set is very standard other than the last slot where I went for Superpower because having 2 70% moves sucks and I don't really need Heat Wave on this team as a lot of it's targets are dealt with quite efficiently by other team members. I used to run 216 Speed for Scarf ttar but this thing has gotten so common now that running max Speed for other Torn is now a lot more worth it. I have considered trying Sludge Wave in the last slot to ward off Clefable as I hardly ever click Superpower.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic

Finally I needed rocks and a general check to strong physical attackers so I went for another very popular set in the current metagame in tank chomp. This team is all about utilising residual damage to the point where the opposing team is too worn down to prevent my more offensive mons from cleaning and Garchomp does this fantastically well. Speed is for Jolly Bisharp cos seriously fuck Bisharp and I chose to use Toxic to catch switchins such as Rotom-W and Hippowdon to put them on a timer as well as increase the residual pressure this team forces.

Threats

The main threat to this team is Magic Guard CM Clefable, especially if it has T Wave and manages to catch Heatran as it comes in. Like I say, I'm testing Sludge Wave Torn just so I can pressure it more.

Mega Manectric is really annoying to this team also, it KOes 5/6 members and the one thing that can take it on can only switch in once or twice at best, generally a case of pivoting around it.

Dragons with appropriate coverage can be frustrating for this team as I have no Fairy, Fire Blast Garchomp, Mixed Kyurem-B etc. can be a pain to deal with but are generally manageable.

Final Thoughts

This has been a team I've really enjoyed using, as it's something fresh and completely mine, and it's been great to have some success with it. That said, feel free to steal it if it's to your liking, I wouldn't have posted an RMT for it otherwise lol. I look forward to any rates!

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Stone Edge
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Sludge Wave

Ttar tariner sprite.png

Brendan+Ttar.png

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Should've saved this for blt gonna get CT'd IMO
Cool team you have here, although it seems weak as fuck to DD Zard x nobody runs 3 attacks anyway so it's manageable. One possible change I could see is sub>sd on mega Hera. I haven't played much OU recently, but when I played more I found sub way better because it's relatively easy to get up on things like ferro or scarftar or w/e and basically always gets a kill, plus its attack is already so disgustingly high that SD doesn't seem essential.

Cool team you have here, although it seems weak as fuck to DD Zard x nobody runs 3 attacks anyway so it's manageable. One possible change I could see is sub>sd on mega Hera. I haven't played much OU recently, but when I played more I found sub way better because it's relatively easy to get up on things like ferro or ScarfTar or w/e and basically always gets a kill, plus its attack is already so disgustingly high that SD doesn't seem essential.
Nah SD has proven to open up many more opportunities for sweeping and and breaking balance and stall, than substitute has easily. Heracross appreciates not being worn down and being able to take hits and revenge. Kinda shoots itself in the foot that way ://

Last edited:
Nice team!
For M-Manectric you should try to put Latias over Starmie, that checks Manectric.

Last edited:
Hey nice team bro, seems really fun to use and I can understand why it peaked 1700 n_n

Only thing I can see that could possibly be a nice change or addition for you could be LO Torn-T over AV. You mentioned you were testing sludge wave to help deal with MG CM Clef thats all I can think over. Also Lati over Starmie could help with your Manectric problem, but I guess when you see Manec you can always try to hazard stack and wear it down although thats a poor method. :////

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Superpower

Good luck with your team n_n

Freeroamer

Thanks for all the nice comments, I'll try and address them one by one.

Cool team you have here, although it seems weak as fuck to DD Zard x nobody runs 3 attacks anyway so it's manageable. One possible change I could see is sub>sd on mega Hera. I haven't played much OU recently, but when I played more I found sub way better because it's relatively easy to get up on things like ferro or scarftar or w/e and basically always gets a kill, plus its attack is already so disgustingly high that SD doesn't seem essential.
aha thanks man, I need to make some more BLT teams, be they OU or other tiers. tbf that last slot on Hera is pretty free, I've clicked SD like once in 20 games so Sub could be fun, if nothing else it punishes Altaria or Clefable switchins.

Nice team!
For M-Manectric you would try to put Latias over Starmie, that checks Manectric.
Hey nice team bro, seems really fun to use and I can understand why it peaked 1700 n_n

Only thing I can see that could possibly be a nice change or addition for you could be LO Torn-T over AV. You mentioned you were testing sludge wave to help deal with MG CM Clef thats all I can think over. Also Lati over Starmie could help with your Manectric problem, but I guess when you see Manec you can always try to hazard stack and wear it down although thats a poor method. :////

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Superpower

Good luck with your team n_n
Gonna address the Lati comment here, while yea that would insure the team against Manectric slightly more, I believe it would actually open up more issues than solve them. Firstly Starmie is my spinner on Spikes stack, and by replacing it with Lati I either don't have hazards removal or I end up removing my own hazards which seems kinda contradictory. If I was to make this change I'd have to consider changing Ferrothorn and the build of the team a little bit. I also become weaker to opposing Heatran, which is annoying, altho the added reassurance vs Zard Y and Lando is cool.

LO Torn-T seems like a solid suggestion to take advantage of all the residual damage to clean late game, will test it later.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to rate, I really appreciate it =]

Thanks for all the nice comments, I'll try and address them one by one.

aha thanks man, I need to make some more BLT teams, be they OU or other tiers. tbf that last slot on Hera is pretty free, I've clicked SD like once in 20 games so Sub could be fun, if nothing else it punishes Altaria or Clefable switchins.

Gonna address the Lati comment here, while yea that would insure the team against Manectric slightly more, I believe it would actually open up more issues than solve them. Firstly Starmie is my spinner on Spikes stack, and by replacing it with Lati I either don't have hazards removal or I end up removing my own hazards which seems kinda contradictory. If I was to make this change I'd have to consider changing Ferrothorn and the build of the team a little bit. I also become weaker to opposing Heatran, which is annoying, altho the added reassurance vs Zard Y and Lando is cool.

LO Torn-T seems like a solid suggestion to take advantage of all the residual damage to clean late game, will test it later.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to rate, I really appreciate it =]

Ye after posting I realized that Lati may not have been the best suggestion and wa actually in the middle of warning you before you changed it. Although, it's good you were able to make that decision yourself. Also good luck testing LO Torn-T later n_n

Hey, that's a really nice team you got there. Hope I am able to help with my suggestion!

The team seems pretty weak to set up sweepers in general, particularly DD Zard X and DD Gyara/Mega Gyara. Therefore, I might try running Thundurus over Tornadus-T. Thundurus can act as a nice emergency button for set up sweepers with Prankster Thunderwave. It also helps as a birdspam check while still maintaining the ability to check Gengar, Landorus-I, and Keldeo. Mega Heracross also really appreciates Thunderwave support because it's base speed isn't the greatest. I see there being a few viable sets for Thundurus - Thunderwave, Volt Switch/Thunderbolt, HP Ice, and the last slot is up to you. Nasty Plot could be used to help Thundy act as a late game cleaner with pseudo boltbeam coverage. Substitute is also an option to get the jump on status abusers. Taunt seems like a good option too to stop opposing mons from healing or boosting.

I hope I was able to help. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey there, thats a solid team you got, it's been a while i didn't see Mega heracross and i always thought that he was still good in oras at least as much as XY, but ppl used to play Gallade/Metagross/Altaria, so he isnt used that much unfortunately. Though i noticed some weakness that can be covered.
  • First i can see a big weakness against Sableye Mega here, you have nothing for this since it can wall Heatran (unable to kill it after SPA drop), and it can get in against your team pretty easily and you got nothing to hit it hardly, plus you will be forced to pray for a burn with scald which is pretty lame. CM variant is just unbeatable. That's why i'd suggest Clefable Unaware instead of Ferrothorn, i really tried to conserve your dual hazard core but i didn't find how to put clefable without making the team worst except ferrothorn. Clefable is actually a solid member for your team because it can handle sableye in addition to check one of your biggest threats which are Thundurus/Manectric/Altaria Special Attacker, now you will be safer against those pokemons listed above and also against clefable cm which can be annoying if your opponent is running Thunder wave as you said before.
  • Then regarding your little azumarill and Slowbro weakness after removing ferrothorn, i'd suggest Thunderbolt instead of Psyshock on Starmie, since you're running clefable, you shouldnt be annoyed by CM Keldeo. While thunderbolt can hit Slowbro/ azumarill and make it less annoying even if your team is already pressuring him a lot, plus tbolt is still effective against keldeo which is great for you.
I hope I helped and good luck :D

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind / Heal Bell / Flamethrower / Thunder Wave

Last edited:

Freeroamer

Hey, that's a really nice team you got there. Hope I am able to help with my suggestion!

The team seems pretty weak to set up sweepers in general, particularly DD Zard X and DD Gyara/Mega Gyara. Therefore, I might try running Thundurus over Tornadus-T. Thundurus can act as a nice emergency button for set up sweepers with Prankster Thunderwave. It also helps as a birdspam check while still maintaining the ability to check Gengar, Landorus-I, and Keldeo. Mega Heracross also really appreciates Thunderwave support because it's base speed isn't the greatest. I see there being a few viable sets for Thundurus - Thunderwave, Volt Switch/Thunderbolt, HP Ice, and the last slot is up to you. Nasty Plot could be used to help Thundy act as a late game cleaner with pseudo boltbeam coverage. Substitute is also an option to get the jump on status abusers. Taunt seems like a good option too to stop opposing mons from healing or boosting.

I hope I was able to help. Good luck!
Thanks for the rate, I'll try it out because in theory it sounds great, however I do worry that this change would make me a little weak to Landorus-i as I'd almost have to sac a mon every time it came in. Still will try it though.

Hey there, thats a solid team you got, it's been a while i didn't see Mega heracross and i always thought that he was still good in oras at least as much as XY, but ppl used to play Gallade/Metagross/Altaria, so he isnt used that much unfortunately. Though i noticed some weakness that can be covered.
  • First i can see a big weakness against Sableye Mega here, you have nothing for this since it can wall Heatran (unable to kill it after SPA drop), and it can get in against your team pretty easily and you got nothing to hit it hardly, plus you will be forced to pray for a burn with scald which is pretty lame. CM variant is just unbeatable. That's why i'd suggest Clefable Unaware instead of Ferrothorn, i really tried to conserve your dual hazard core but i didn't find how to put clefable without making the team worst except ferrothorn. Clefable is actually a solid member for your team because it can handle sableye in addition to check one of your biggest threats which are Thundurus/Manectric/Altaria Special Attacker, now you will be safer against those pokemons listed above and also against clefable cm which can be annoying if your opponent is running Thunder wave as you said before.
  • Then regarding your little azumarill and Slowbro weakness after removing ferrothorn, i'd suggest Thunderbolt instead of Psyshock on Starmie, since you're running clefable, you shouldnt be annoyed by CM Keldeo. While thunderbolt can hit Slowbro/ azumarill and make it less annoying even if your team is already pressuring him a lot, plus tbolt is still effective against keldeo which is great for you.
I hope I helped and good luck :D

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind / Heal Bell / Flamethrower / Thunder Wave
Thanks for taking the time to rate this, your suggestions are very solid and make a lot of sense, will try them as soon as possible. I think I'll try Heal Bell Clefable, as a lot of this team detests status, however CM could be interesting for a lategame wincon. Solid rate =]

Big fan of MegaCross (favorite poke) and really cool team. MegaCross is threat to many teams it's nice to see a balenced team based on Hera, but can you provide replays pls?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)