Answering the New York Times Dialect Quiz with the Most Insane Responses to See What Happens

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello friends, today I would like to introduce you to the New York Times Dialect Quiz. This is a quiz where you get asked 25 different questions, and based off your answers the New York Times tells you what region of the United States you are most likely from. I first took this quiz back in high school and they pretty much nailed where I'm from, and I've had friends take it over the years too and it's pretty accurate from what I've found.

However, I've noticed that some of the answers that they provide are just straight up weird. So I've decided to take a look today to see where someone is from that gives the most insane responses for each question. Unfortunately, this only covers the United States so I can't make any jokes about the British, but just know that y'all absolutely do not get a pass here. And if you think I'm making fun of you if you legitimately say one of these responses, I absolutely am. Oh and the only rule is that I can't pick "other" for any of the questions, because that's too easy to just make up some shit.

nyt1.PNG

Definitely going with "yinz" here. I'm actually familiar with this one being from Pennsylvania. "Yinz" is a Pittsburgh thing, specifically something that older Pittsbughers say from my experience. I'm definitely biased here because I'm from the eastern half (and better half) of the state but come on. Yinz? Apparently it's short for "you 'uns" which is listed right above it. It simply does not make sense to me when "you all" or "y'all" are right there.

nyt2.PNG

This is one I've never heard before taking this quiz. Tbh a peenie wallie sounds like what you would call one of those dildos that can stick to the wall, not a bug. Easy one to pick.

nyt3.PNG

For this one the last three are all a little bit silly. Cocola sounds like what you would say if you accidentally skipped a syllable in "Coca-Cola" and "fizzy drink" sounds like what you would say if you forgot the name of whatever you normally call it. But I'm going with "dope" here because I've only heard that used to call someone stupid or as slang for certain drugs. And I'd say you probably have to be stupid and/or on drugs to call soda "dope," so there we go.

nyt4.PNG

Pick a side, coward.

nyt5.PNG

The first five are actually ones that I've all heard used pretty interchangeably. Catamount doesn't seem that weird either. Painter is certainly a choice but I'm going with "mountain screamer" here. I think those are just yodelers, not big cats.

nyt6.PNG

I have no idea what you could possibly call this if it's neither frosting nor icing, so this "takes the cake" so to speak. Hardy har har.

nyt7.PNG

Bubbler by itself is already weird enough, but specifying that it's a water bubbler makes me think there are other types of bublers. And honestly if there are? I don't want to know.

nyt8.PNG

Neither of these are thaaaat weird to me, but pa-JAM-as sounds funnier than pa-JAH-mas, so that's the one I'm going with. It should be noted that this is the first response where the map lit up red anywhere (which means a high percentage of people use it, as opposed to blue, where it means pretty much no one uses it).

nyt9.PNG

Okay apparently there's a lot to think about when it comes to this one. Aunt/ant is a debate I've heard my whole life. Aunt/Ain't is not. So this is the correct response and you aunt going to convince me otherwise.

nyt10.PNG

Lots of silly things to choose from here. I'll admit that the thing I call it ("roly poly") is pretty silly. And I'm not going to fault someone for not knowing what this particular bug is. But, with all these options, if you know what the bug is and don't have a name for it, that just seems kind of... ignorant? Lazy? Like just do a Google search and pick one.

nyt11.PNG

This is one that I'm having a hard time even trying to conceptualize. Breakfast is in the morning. Lunch is around noon. Dinner/supper (which are the same thing to me) are in the evening. This response makes it sound like you're eating two evening meals. So not only does this response mean they're saying something different than me, this response means that these people have a completely different lifestyle than I do, living off a completely different daily schedule. I can't even imagine.

nyt12.PNG

While these are all a little silly (and I was tempted to go with "no word" again) crowfish is the silliest, because this thing neither looks like a crow or a fish. But stick 'em together and you get... a lobster? Beats me.

nyt13.PNG

All of these words are words that I have heard before. Except "berm." I have no idea what a "berm" could even be. The other ones I could kind of see but "berm" is uniquely a this question thing. "Berm." Huh.

nyt14.PNG

For the love of god please just keep "crown" as its own word, who are we to infringe upon it?

nyt15.PNG

This has nothing to do with cars nor does it have anything to do with boots. Next question, please.

nyt16.PNG

Break out the trained elephants and the sword swallowers, we have a real traffic circus on our hands with this one.

nyt17.PNG

I- What the fuck? This one has so many insane responses that trump everything else we've seen so far. But the devil beating his wife is the only one that's a crime as far as I'm aware of, and the only one that's on a spiritual level as well, so we're going with that response here.

nyt18.PNG

So fun fact, these don't actually exists where I live. I wish they did because "brew thru" would be an awesome name for them, but I think "bootlegger" is the odd one out, because what I call a bootlegger is one of those tiny bottles of whiskey/whatever that you can buy at certain places. A tiny bottle, not a whole business.

nyt19.PNG

I can't imagine what geese have to do with playing pranks on people, but maybe that's because I never played Untitled Goose Game.

nyt20.PNG

Caramel is caramel. What could the other thing even possibly be???

nyt21.PNG

I don't know if you've caught on yet, but I don't enjoy homophones when it comes to this quiz. This is the second one where there was actually a lot of red on the map though so who am I to judge?

nyt22.PNG

What is this, the DMZ? I'd like to imagine North Korea and South Korea on the opposite side of the same street, just kind of giving each other nasty looks but not setting foot on the neutral ground in the middle of the road.

nyt23.PNG

Beans. Beans are what we're looking for here.

nyt24.PNG

All of these are pretty stupid tbh (other than "Italian sandwich" which is a bit too literal for my tastes). Poor boy almost won out here but I've actually heard of that before, as opposed to sarney, which is a little less silly but a little more obscure. Feel free to disagree with me and say poor boy but I think one question out of 25 won't make too much of a difference.

nyt25.PNG

I about had a stroke with this one trying to come up with the correct response and now I can't get this trifecta of words out of my head, but I thiiiink this is the weirdest one? Honestly it's hard to say because with my own response I go back and forth between all three of them being the same and all three being different lol.

Thanks for sticking with me for so long (or just skipping ahead to the results lol). The place with the weirdest dialect in the United States is...

nyt results.PNG

New Orleans, Louisiana! Realistically, I think this kind of makes sense because I feel like there's a much higher French influence here than pretty much anywhere else in the rest of the United States, so that probably has affected the dialect over time and made it into what it is today. Alternatively, people from there could just be weird, idk. Runner-ups were Salt Lake City, Utah, and Boise, Idaho, and there's no real French influence there as far as I know. So maybe it just picked three random cities lol.

This has been another Effortpost brought to you by phoopes. Hope you enjoyed, and be sure to leave your own dialect maps, real or fake, in the replies below.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I live in Washington, DC, and the mid-atlantic is where it guesses I'm from, but not because I am actually from here. It's just because I'm a southerner born to carpetbaggers so I've got a lovely mix of southern and northeastern dialect, the overlap of which really only exists between like Baltimore and Virginia Beach.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 9.46.33 PM.png

sure, i do in fact live in one of the red areas, but that's a kinda broad range lol

i like how you can spot pittsburg and des moines on the map

HOLY SHIT MOUNTAIN SCREAMER, I WISH I GOT THAT QUESTION

Mathy

F░U░R░R░E░T░ I░N░ B░I░O░
is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
1650606853435.png

milwaukee is close enough

had some answers that OP thought were the weird ones so let me justify

Lots of silly things to choose from here. I'll admit that the thing I call it ("roly poly") is pretty silly. And I'm not going to fault someone for not knowing what this particular bug is. But, with all these options, if you know what the bug is and don't have a name for it, that just seems kind of... ignorant? Lazy? Like just do a Google search and pick one.
i fucking hate these creatures so much that i refuse to name them.

side note in my head "roly poly" always sounds super bri'ish and im not sure why, may have been an episode of Kipper i saw as a kid

Caramel is caramel. What could the other thing even possibly be???
you know what im gonna be real, i dont know the semantic difference between them. i just know i use both, and they have different vibes, somehow

Can't wait to say "the wolf is giving birth" and explain it to the bewildered people around me like an asshole who reads the New York Times

yes i am one of those people with a times subscription

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

you know what im gonna be real, i dont know the semantic difference between them. i just know i use both, and they have different vibes, somehow
Oh trust me, I use both pronunciations as well. But to say that the two pronunciations refer to two different things entirely? Absolute madness

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

As a Brit apparently I'm from NE US. I suppose that makes sense, they're basically the closest to me.

It's funny though bc I felt like Washington, Oregon, and Michigan lit up red for more my answers than anywhere else. Minneapolis, Knoxville, and Little Rock were the least similar.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
Screenshot_20220422-141305.png

apparently the most distinctive answer for all 3 cities was "firefly".

it should let you tick multiple boxes bc i vary on some of these. 0/10 ux imo

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ok i came to post my answers bc my accent has been truly fucked up by speaking to medigan on the internet, but the real treasure is this q:

wtf guys (y'all, youse, wood youse)

anw:

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
I- What the fuck? This one has so many insane responses that trump everything else we've seen so far. But the devil beating his wife is the only one that's a crime as far as I'm aware of, and the only one that's on a spiritual level as well, so we're going with that response here.
I have family in Louisiana and they actually call it The Devil Beating his wife. I don't know how widespread it is but maybe that's partly why you got the result you did

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes it’s a southern expression. Have heard it irl, and had people question me using the term sunshower which is a more northern thing.

im not sure the exact way it got to be that way, but similar expressions exist in numerous other languages, so probably just some immigrants with those languages started using them in the south but it never caught on in the north.

nya

its miyuki monday
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor
PS Admin
1650636747337.png

This shit guessed like 8 different red areas and still got it wrong somehow...

I don't even know what this tells me beyond having an urban accent I guess?

Washington makes a lot of sense since I live in Vancouver, but I'm also not from here, (I'm from Ontario) and my friends constantly make fun of me for having an Albertan tinge to my accent, so I have no clue what the equivalent of that is in the states. (Apparently its Fremont and Miami?)

Didn't expect the French speaking regions to be my bluest regions since I've lived about a 10 minute drive from Quebec my whole life but idk, maybe Louisiana's just weird.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
tfw u can just make a test that accurately places the so-cal accent and that is a big enough userbase to continue marketing it as a legitimate 'real' form of statistical assessment.

fx

moon tourism
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
View attachment 420381
milwaukee is close enough

i fucking hate these creatures so much that i refuse to name them.

side note in my head "roly poly" always sounds super bri'ish and im not sure why, may have been an episode of Kipper i saw as a kid

just WHAT is your issue with ISOPODS!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)