SS OU Any suggestions for my team

This is the first OU Team I've built. I've only used standard sets for the pokemons and have not made any niche additions to any of them. One quirky thing I did though is to make sure each pokemon have items different from each others, my VGC bug. My aim was to build a team which had every mon with some attacking capability and not to only fill a defensive role by itself.

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 124 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

My special pivot. It is the standard set recommended by Smogon and it has served me well. It can wall many special attacking threats like Heatran, Zapdos and even Nidoking with Assault Vest and Regenerator. Although sometimes its risky to play with its weakness against physical mons and the possibility of losing the Assault Vest through trick or knock off, its good coverage can sometimes get you a kill, like ice beaming an Landorus switch in or flaming an incoming Kartana to get clean OHKOs which is what I like about this set over a teleport one. Overall its ability to handle many special walls and its surprise ohko factor makes it an invaluable part of the team

Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 152 HP / 168 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Roost
- Leech Life

My offensive tank and again a standard smogon set . Thisis my most favorite mon in the team due to its all round ability of being able to withstand even super effective physical hits and its natural offensive prowess along with beast boost. I usually use it as a physical switch in and also as a pseudo sweeper if I can get enough beast boost stacked up, since it can usually ohko most of the things i switch it into like landorus-t, weavile and even seriously damage urshifu with the help of rocky helmet. It can even withstand some super-effective hits being at -1 def after a close combat, so you can trick your opponent into losing one of his offensive mons against it if they do not calc the damage properly.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Knock Off

My hazard setter. I only rely on rocks for hazard and ferrothorn usually gets it up without any problem. It can also decently switch into non supereffective physical and special attacks and threaten to whittle down the opposition via leech seed. Knock off is invaluable in removing support items from opponents own pivots and attacking powerhouses and body press helps get some damage in case of a war of attrition.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

My special wallbreaker. Nothing needs to be said here, this guy can burn holes through teams if they are not careful enough. Again a standard smogon set and it does not need any fine-tuning for my case. Infiltrator helps against any substitute setup mons and the move choices above makes it very hard to resist the sheer power it brings on the table. U turn is obviously used to pivot and maintain momentum.

And now my two problematic mons :

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Protective Pads
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- Surging Strikes
- U-turn

My physical attacker. Initially I was using a choice band set, but due to the prevalence of rocky helmet counters which take advantage of its surging strikes like ferrothorn and slowbro, I felt protective pads would be a better suited option to help against this. I did not change the moveset, but I feel bulk up would suit this set better than aqua jet since its not a choice set, but again my vgc bug is preventing me from removing a priority move. Otherwise this guy can threaten big damage on mons which does not threaten it back.

Zeraora @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Again a standard set. Honestly zeraora acts as an electric resist and also as a late game sweeper once landorus/garchomp is taken out of the equation. I added it to the team mainly for its late game sweeping potential with bulk up but majority of the times I'm not able to set it up properly, so i feel some other mon could do the role more effectively but dont have an idea what to replace it with. But its attack and speed allows it to cleanly remove mons late in the game even without bulk up so I'm not complaining in that regards.

Problems I face :

1) Trick room teams :- Trick room teams are hard to handle with these mons and I have to heavily rely on slowking and ferrothorn to help navigate through those matchups
2) scarf lele :- Scarf lele is very hard to play against if opponent starts to predict correctly and remove either ferrothorn or slowking out of the game early
3) Specs pult :- In case i lose my asault vest on slowking or slowking itself, specs pult can cleanly destroy my team without any problems unless I win the 50-50 speed tie with my own pult
4) hazards :- i do not have any defoggers in my team, thus if my opponent gets very nasty with hazards its game over for me

My full team is here : https://pokepast.es/25b0ab357a09166c. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions to improve the team.

This team is really solid :) however I like to believe that theirs always room for improvement so I might as well add my two cents.

as you said in the threat list you have no hazard removal, and I thought the most replaceable mon would be zeraora which I would change to lando-t
it’s immunity to earthquake (which destroys your slowking) and electric immunity would make it a good addition to the team you could run a Defog set with stealth rocks (and you could replace ferros stealth rocks for spikes)

As that’s the only major problem I see with the team I’m gonna make what may seem a weird suggestion

I’ve been running a choices scarf set on my buzzwoles lately it’s a great revenge killer and can occasionally snowball into a sweep and even without the fully invested bulk it can still take hits decently well

that being said this is a pretty standard balance team that does it’s job well nice RMT hope this helps

This team is really solid :) however I like to believe that theirs always room for improvement so I might as well add my two cents.

as you said in the threat list you have no hazard removal, and I thought the most replaceable mon would be zeraora which I would change to lando-t
it’s immunity to earthquake (which destroys your slowking) and electric immunity would make it a good addition to the team you could run a Defog set with stealth rocks (and you could replace ferros stealth rocks for spikes)

As that’s the only major problem I see with the team I’m gonna make what may seem a weird suggestion

I’ve been running a choices scarf set on my buzzwoles lately it’s a great revenge killer and can occasionally snowball into a sweep and even without the fully invested bulk it can still take hits decently well

that being said this is a pretty standard balance team that does it’s job well nice RMT hope this helps
Hey man thanks for the advice. Will try to incorporate it into my team.

Hey, I know I'm late but I really like the direction of the team in focus. I generally love teams which have an all around offensive presence so I'll try to keep my rate here on a similar note.

What I like about your team:
1) The offensive pressure and momentum is really strong here.
2) The defensive backbone is enough to ward off threats while not being too passive
3) Great synergy between your pokes.

Some Changes I'd suggest:
1) I think your team could benefit from :heatran:(preferably spdef rocks) > :ferrothorn: as your ways against volcarona and dragapult are quite shallow. this does make the rain matchup tougher tho but I have something that helps.

2) I think having a solid ground type such as specially defensive defog :landorus-therian: in the place of zeraora(as Fancy1 pointed out) is gonna help out a lot vs zapdos and opposing zeraora. the utility it provides is pretty good and it's ability to

3) Standard spread :rotom-wash: could fit here well instead of shifu and provides good momentum and support. It has amazing offensive pressure and also is a great check to rain, :tornadus-therian: and much of water types and also provides you with a ground immunity. Hydropump, Volt Switch and Pain Split are musts with a choice of status in Will-O-Wisp/Toxic/Thunder Wave.

4) Scald>Ice Beam on :slowking-galar: helps you spread burns and chip down heatran.

Cool ideas to throw around:
1) Changing the slowking set to nasty plot would be a fun addition and it also allows you to bully fat teams and would work well if you have heatran, landorus and rotom to be your spdef pivots.
2) Addition of :weavile: could work well and lead this team to a new version.

Overall I really like your team and the style it has. Hope my advice helped and the changes improve your experience with it. Have a good one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)