Apocalypse Desire

INTRO

Hello everyone, Weirdishitsux here. Many of you don't know me so let me take this opportunity to introduce myself: I am Italian, and I have played competitively since 2009. I have won countless tournaments in Italy and my favourite tier is BW OU. Some know me as Asuya and I am currently playing with Team Europe in POWC. Today I present you a team that is a little different from the usual HO / Stall and I built it with the intention of climbing the XY OU ladder for the first time because I wanted to prove myself and also because if I reached 1600 points (on PO) I could join the IDM clan. Unlike many other players I could not use my teams but my pride and my stubbornness always given me the patience and the strength to be able to do things on my own. The team is focused on the abuse of the sandstorm with my favourite pokemon: Mega Garchomp. I don't understand why people don't use it much, it is perhaps the only pokemon that even without Mega evolving can win alone against the opposing team, you just have to give it a little support.

BUILDING PROCESS

The idea came to me seeing a team from my bro Sinclair in which he used a very offensive approach with the core, Smooth Rock Tyranitar + Sand Rush Excadrill. Based on that I wanted to create a more balanced team but at the same time I tried to find another mon that could take advantage of the sandstorm and I decided on Garchomp, with the set I have used he can abuse the ability sand veil (eventually Sand Force after Mega evolving) in order to be able to create a win condition by itself. I added Rotom-W and then Amoonguss to have a good response to the water and fighting moves (especially Keldeo) and to create a combo that spread paralysis in order to facilitate Garchomp's sweep. Finally, I added Skarmory which is my main response to physical sweepers as well as the inevitable Stealth Rock setter. Overall the building in general wasn't very complicated but in the testing phase I often changed sets of pokemon up to the final version, which I am proud of and I am presenting today.

IN DEPTH

CAVEMON (Tyranitar) (F) @ Smooth Rock
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Tyranitar is the pivot of the team as well as a great lure that opens the sweep for Excadrill and Garchomp. Often times it is my lead as well because the current metagame has little chance to switch in to Ttar's coverage. Also, when leading with him I make sure to be able to set up sand at least twice and it also allows a better way to deal with the opponents Deoxys-S (when facing a HO) by playing around Superpower and Taunt with Skarmory and Excadrill most of the time. Now, returning to the Tyranitar's moveset, Ice beam is an OHKO on annoying SubToxicScor which often people don't give a lot of investment in speed (usually make him hit 240) and many have been ko'd turn 1 with Ttar. Fire Blast hits Skarmory hard on switchin and is an OHKO on Ferrothorn. Stone Edge is the STAB move that helps with the coverage and allows me to hit the Special Defensive Rotom and Heatran (for the latter I'm also considering Earthquake). The real novelty and surprise of this Tyranitar is with Hidden Power Grass. This allows me to punish and therefore not get walled by Quagsire(for my Exca/Chomp) and the rare Seismitoad.

---

METAL SLUT (Excadrill) (M) @ Muscle Band
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

This pokemon in the sandstorm is the nightmare of any Offensive team. Lures in Azumarill so I can start my paraspam combo with Amoonguss and Rotom-W. I don't have much to say about him, often does nothing but weaken the opposing team to help with the sweep of Garchomp (or vice versa). Sometimes it is useful to revenge kill annoying pokemon and is my first response to Clefable (taking care of Flamethrower) and Sylveon. I gave Muscle Band instead of Life Orb because it reduces its staying power too much (and this team is not a HO) and possibly also because it allows me to bluff the Choice Scarf. Rock Slide is super effective way to hit Thundurus, SDefMandibuzz and the rare Tornadus (almost always hit them in predict realizing that the opponent wants to stall to end the sandstorm). Paraspam + Iron Head is great and can come in handy in case of an emergency.

---

LAVA PUSSY (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SDef / 44 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-W is the first pokemon I chose for my defensive core and together with Amoonguss is able to wall SpecsKeldeo that would otherwise pose a threat too dangerous for my team. The set is the classic special defenser with 44 evs in speed to always outspeed Azumarill since more and more players are using Max Speed Jolly (due to the FLCL's RMT). I opted for the Leftovers instead of Chesto Berry because it seemed silly to try to get the sandstorm in the field then suffer from recoil with my main special wall. The moveset is standard except Thunder Wave, which not only facilitates the setup of Garchomp and the sweep of Excadrill but also allows me to paralyze MegaVenusaur to handle it better with the latter two (Earthquake of MegaGarchomp under the sandstorm is 2HKO even to the Physically Defensive version). STAB Hydro Pump is used mostly for hitting Heatran and Landorus while Volt Switch provides me the important momentum often favoring the entry of Garchomp or Tyranitar if I need the sandstorm. Pain Split back against Stall is especially useful when you're suffering from a status.

---

VENOMOUS GLAND (Amoonguss) (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 240 HP / 172 Def / 92 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stun Spore

KING FOONGUSS PORCINUS! Amoonguss is the point guard that can change the outcome at any moment of the game. I can use its predictable Giga Drain and Spore to my advantage by making the appropriate switchback. It comes into play most of the times in turn 1 by replacing Tyranitar and at that point the pattern to be applied is very easy: Spore if the opponent has no immunity or switchback (Hi Mandibuzz) in the case he have. After trying Foul Play, Sludge Bomb and Clear Smog I came to the conclusion that the best move for this team would be Hidden Power Fire. It allows me to hit Ferrothorn and Skarmory and to not be walled by SubAegislash ( especially since I preferred HP Grass on Tyranitar in place of Pursuit). Regenerator and the resistance to fairy and water is why this pokemon is usable in the OU metagame. The ev spread allows me to not be 2HKO by Specs Icy Wind Keldeo and at the same time take neutral physical hits well.

---

SCAPEGOAT (Skarmory) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Counter
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Don't fuk with this bird. Skarmory was added last and besides being the needed Stealth Rock setter, is my main counter of the most common phisical sweeper ((BAN ME PLEASE)sby, MPinsir, Dragonite, Bisharp, MTyranitar, MMawile). It restricts the U-Turn chains with Rocky Helmet and with Counter (unexpected move also because of the lack of leftovers) I like to use counter to get rid of the sweeper immediately instead of just using whirlwind and possibly giving them another set up opportunity. The Ev Spread is the standard to maximize its potential as a physical wall. Sturdy helped me several times to get out of bad situations where the opponents predicted my switches setting up more than once with his special sweeper (ex: tail glow Manaphy) and allowing me to better manage its forthcoming entry. Because of the high pressure it often performs its task only once but it is enough for me to win the game, that's why I called it scapegoat.

---

VILLAIN (Garchomp) (M) @ Garchompite
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

MVP (most versatile pokemon) of the team. After spreading some paralysis and weakening the opposing team with Excadrill and any lure kills of Tyranitar he comes into play and closes the match without mercy. The ideal situation is the entry under the sandstorm facing a paralyzed mon, in that case the victory is a step and I just use SD or Substitute depending on the situation and may then evolve if I need more power. Making the Substitute on the opposing Will-o-Wisp / Sucker Punch is useful. Earthquake has tremendous power with Sand Force activated. Often it can also enter in the early game and still pressure the opposing team. Here, I can also use the predictability of Earthquake to my advantage with a switchback or SD/Sub. Some times the opponents may think that my Mega is Tyranitar and this can be a huge help during the game. Obviously Adamant nature because I have no reason to look any speed tie also due to the paraspam and 'cause I need to hit as hard as possible. I preferred Dragon Claw because it's good enough enough to hit the ground immunities, and I don't want to be locked into Outrage and risk being revenge killed.

CONCLUSION

We got the end, I hope you enjoyed the team. Feel free to use it but know that it is a very difficoult team to play because you have to have a good ability to read the game in short and long terms and don't be afraid of do switchbacks (especially against stall teams). MVenus + Skarmory is a combo quite boring for this team and you need to keep the momentum to beat that. Many changes are feasible depending on your personal preferences (ex: Fire Fang on Garchomp). I would like to thanks Sinclair for inspiring and helping me in writing this RMT.
See you next time, delicious pizza at all!

Last edited:
The team is quite decent but I don't think Counter Skarmory really helps becuase most physical sweepers won't stay in anyway.So you could you use an attack instead like Brave Bird.

Usually the phisical sweepers use a statup move on the Skarmory's switchin then the opponent will predict my whirlwind and just attack for lure my skarmory but his mon will be surprisely OHKOed by Counter.
The other scenario is when the phisical sweeper attacks on the Skarmory's switchin, at this point I usually go for the Roost on his SD (if they switch I just will have a fullhp Skarmory to stop them next time) then I use Counter for the OHKO.
lol @quite decent, this team is a beast if you know how to use it ;]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)