Apparently a game that can be played with multiple players isn't necessarily a multiplayer game

Screenshot_20220611-225440.png

Screenshot_20220611-225450.png

Screenshot_20220611-225456.png

Screenshot_20220611-225507.png

Screenshot_20220611-225519.png

Screenshot_20220611-225528.png

I'm crass clown btw

Like "a game you can play with more than 1 player" is the answer anyone will give you if you asked them what a multiplayer game is other than calling you a dumbass or something there's no way I'm wrong about this

Also sorry if this is overly long

I'm crass clown btw

Like "a game you can play with more than 1 player" is the answer anyone will give you if you asked them what a multiplayer game is other than calling you a dumbass or something there's no way I'm wrong about this

Also sorry if this is overly long
Without context, to me this multiplayer (via discord) argument has been boiled down to a singleplayer (via this thread) hypothetical about intent vs impact, and it all seems like just people talking at each other that would not be convinced to change their view either way. However if you really want to think about it, all multiplayer games can be single player by playing with yourself (like Sakurai playing with two controllers) or against a computer, and all single player games can be multiplayer if multiple people control the game at the same time (see: most participants on a single player videogame).

I'm about to win this argument.
Screenshot_20220612-172430_Samsung Internet.jpg

Both of the groups are right. It's multiplayer if it was intended to be multiplayer and if it is played as multiplayer despite intention. So it doesn't matter if no-one is playing it multiplayer, as long as it was intended to be multiplayer it is multiplayer. And it doesn't matter if it was originally meant to be multiplayer, as long as it is played with several players (while not specified, several is defined as more than 2 but not many) it is multiplayer. If it is played by 2 players at the same time, it is specifically called a 2-player game. As Wikipedia says, "A two-player game is a multiplayer game that is played by precisely two players. This is distinct from a solitaire game, which is played by only one player." Therefore, both of you are right on the points of intent vs actuality, unless it involves only 2 players at once in which case you were both wrong, and it is instead a variant of multiplayer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)