move 2: Recover
move 3: Leech Seed
move 4: Dragon Pulse
item: Leftovers
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
Appletun functions as a mediocre physical wall in OU by virtue of its decent bulk and access to Recover. With a Grass / Dragon typing alongside Thick Fat, Appletun can counter or check a wide range of Pokemon such as Barraskweda, Excadrill, Rotom-W, and Rotom-H. It also counters Dracovish under most circumstances. Unfortunately, Appletun's low offensive presence and nonexistent coverage offer a free switch in for a wide range of bulkier Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Clefable, and Corviknight. Apple Acid's continual Special Defense drops partially alleviate Appletun's passivity. Leech Seed, when paired with Leftovers and Recover keeps Appletun very healthy, which is essential to keep it out of 2HKO range from attacks such as a rain-boosted Fishious Rend. Dragon Pulse is mostly filler, as Appletun has a barren movepool, but it is helpful for threatening opposing offensive Pokemon attempting to take advantage of it such as Dragapult and Hydreigon or for finishing off bulkier targets weakened by Apple Acid. The given EVs maximize Defense, as Appletun needs as much physical bulk as possible to always handle Dracovish and Excadrill. Thick Fat's added resistances far outweigh the potential Berry benefits of Ripen, Appletun's resistance to Fire allows it to handle Fire-types like Cinderace and Rotom-H while taking much less from Dracovish's Ice Fang.

Appletun functions best on balance teams that would appreciate a defensive Grass-type that handles Ground-types and Dracovish. Appletun and Toxapex work especially well with each other, with Toxapex handling Galarian Darmanitan and Gyarados, while Appletun switches into Ground- and Electric-types alongside Dracovish. Specially defensive Ferrothorn also has decent synergy with Appletun, as they have very little defensive overlap and cover a fair share of each other's weaknesses, with Appletun handling Pokemon such as Rotom-H for Ferrothorn. Corviknight also has good synergy with Appletun, resisting Flying- and Dragon-type attacks, while Appletun can switch into the Fire- and Electric-type attacks from Pokemon such as Cinderace that threaten Corviknight.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[<leonard (from big bang theory)>, <295686>]]
- Quality checked by: [[<Jordy>, <395754>], [<lyd>, <303291>]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<deetah>, <297659>]]

Last edited:
Would Body Press be a viable option to consider over Draco Meteor? At the very least it lets you respond to Ferrothorn coming in so it doesn't get to do things for free, as it otherwise doesn't care at all about anything Apple does. Maybe that's what teammates are for, but it could be a viable option.

252+ Bold Appletun Body Press vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 108-128 (30.6 - 36.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Would Body Press be a viable option to consider over Draco Meteor? At the very least it lets you respond to Ferrothorn coming in so it doesn't get to do things for free, as it otherwise doesn't care at all about anything Apple does. Maybe that's what teammates are for, but it could be a viable option.

252+ Bold Appletun Body Press vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 108-128 (30.6 - 36.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Eh, pretty low damage overall and this makes you complete Dragapult/Gengar bait. Might be worth a mention because being Ferro bait is annoying, I'll see if QC thinks it's worth a mention

comments in purple things to remove in red
I would eat this ngl
[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Apple Acid
move 4: Draco Meteor

[SET COMMENTS]
Appletun functions as a competent physical wall in OU by virtue of its good bulk and access to Recover. I think this oversells Appletun's capabilities greatly, and it comes over slightly misleading as a result. With a Grass/Dragon typing alongside Thick Fat Appletun can counter or check a wide range of Pokemon such as Barraskweda, Cinderace, Excadrill, Dracovish, Tyranitar, and all of the common Rotom formes. I think this list is a bit excessive; try to cut down on some examples. I don't think Cinderace and Tyranitar are the most important Pokemon to mention, so those'd be the first I'd leave out. It also possesses the rare honor of not being 2HKOed by Dracovish's Fishious Rend, but it must be wary of Ice Fang or Outrage from Banded sets. You already pointed out that it checks Dracovish in the sentence before this. After this, you should allude as to why Appletun's a relatively poor choice in the OU metagame. The biggest issue with it is that it lets in Clefable, Ferrothorn, and Corviknight pretty easily. Apple Acid alleviates Appletun's passivity, dropping the opponent's Special Defense each time it connects, eventually beating down most opposing walls. Appletun isn't really beating down walls, even with Apple Acid; Apple Acid simply enables it to exert some pressure. Leech Seed when paired with Leftovers and Recover keeps Appletun very healthy, which is essential to keep Appletun out of 2HKO range from attacks such as Life Orb Excadrill's Iron Head. Life Orb Excadrill is a pretty poor option right now, I think there's better examples available. Leech Seed also helps Appletun win stall wars against opposing walls alongside Apple Acid. Draco Meteor is mostly filler as Appletun has a barren movepool, but it is helpful for nabbing KOs against opposing offensive Pokemon attempting to take advantage of it such as Dragapult, Hydreigon, and Darmanitan-G, or for finishing off bulkier targets weakened by Apple Acid. The given EVs maximize Defense, as Appletun counters Rotom-Heat and Rotom-Wash without needing any special bulk whatsoever, and doesn't switch into many other relevant special attackers. This isn't relevant. I want you to mention actual examples of why you want to run maximum Defense investment, such as Excadrill and Dracovish. Thick Fat's added resistances far outweighs the potential berry benefits of Ripen. Why do Thick Fat's added resistances far outweigh the potential berry benefits from Ripen? What particular Pokemon does it help with?

Appletun works well best on balance teams that would appreciate a defensive Grass-type that handles Ground-types and Dracovish. I think saying that it works well oversells how useful it actually is. Appletun and Toxapex work especially well with each other, with Toxapex handling Darmanitan-Galar and Gyardos while Appletun switches into Ground- and Electric-types. Specially Defensive Ferrothorn also has decent synergy with Appletun as they have very little defensive overlap and cover a fair share of each other's weaknesses. Apple Acid forces a lot of switches, and hazards should therefore be paired with Appletun in order to capitalize on this, such as the aforementioned Ferrothorn's spikes. The section becomes a bit too long with this. I figure it's the easiest to leave out because Spikes aren't absolutely vital or anything. Corviknight also has good synergy with Appletun, resisting Flying- and Dragon-type attacks while Appletun can switch into the Fire- and Electric-type attacks that threatens Corviknight.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>], [<username2>, <userid2>]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]
I'd like to look over this again after this is implemented. As a general comment, try to be a bit more concise because this is really long for a preview analysis.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
Ok implemented the check, also gonna go and cut down my Flapple analysis (and make it even clearer that Flapple sucks), ready for another check again whenever

Ok implemented the check, also gonna go and cut down my Flapple analysis (and make it even clearer that Flapple sucks), ready for another check again whenever
Is Protect worth a mention?
It's what I generally use as it provides Lefties recovery, Leech Seed recovery and helps in stalling
Overall, I think its more useful than Draco which literally can't do any damage

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
Is Protect worth a mention?
It's what I generally use as it provides Lefties recovery, Leech Seed recovery and helps in stalling
Overall, I think its more useful than Draco which literally can't do any damage
That just makes appletun even more of a free switch for the opposition, at least Draco chunks most offensive mons

Is Dragon Pulse a better option than Draco Meteor? Draco's drops mean that Hydreigon can stall with Substitute and then set up, while Dragon Pulse still 2HKOs (and Hydreigon isn't running Dragon STAB so this actually matters).

[SET]
  • Yeah, I'd suggest changing it to Dragon Pulse as well, helps with Hydreigon as the above user said and it's nice to actually 1v1 Ferrothorn too!
[SET COMMENTS]
  • I'd definitely emphasize more it's role as a Dracovish check. It's literally the best check after Gastrodon and vish is lowkey terrifying!
  • Trim down the Ripen sentence, you don't need to say it's bad just keep the mentions of the positives of Thick Fat. (If only it actually worked with lefties, alas).
  • Also, mention Thick Fat for Dracovish's Ice Fang. It turns a nearly guaranteed OHKO (from band that is) into barely a 2HKO after lefties and from there you can pivot and etc. (no rocks). And obviously avoids the 2HKO from the rarer Choice Scarf vish.
  • Also, mention in the Toxapex part about how Appletun checks vish for pex.
  • For the Ferrothorn and Corviknight parts mention more specific Pokémon instead of just the type resistances!
That should be about it, great work friend :)
QC 2/2

Last edited:

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma
Not gonna stamp this yet, please address the one comment I made about the Rotom formes.

I would eat this ngl
[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Apple Acid
move 4: Dragon Pulse

[SET COMMENTS]
Appletun functions as a mediocre physical wall in OU by virtue of its decent bulk and access to Recover. With a Grass/Dragon Grass / Dragon typing alongside Thick Fat, (AC) Appletun can counter or check a wide range of Pokemon such as Barraskweda, Excadrill, and all of the common Rotom formes (You should specify the exact forms that Appletun can check / counter). It also counters Dracovish under most circumstances. Unfortunately, Appletun's low offensive presence and nonexistent coverage offers offer a free switch-in switch in for a wide range of bulkier Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Clefable, and Corviknight. Apple Acid's continual Special Defense drops partially alleviates alleviate Appletun's passivity. Leech Seed, (AC) when paired with Leftovers and Recover, (AC) keeps Appletun very healthy, which is essential to keep Appletun it out of 2HKO range from attacks such as Rain-boosted a rain-boosted Fishious Rend. Dragon Pulse is mostly filler, (AC) as Appletun has a barren movepool, but it is helpful for threatening opposing offensive Pokemon attempting to take advantage of it such as Dragapult and Hydreigon or for finishing off bulkier targets weakened by Apple Acid. The given EVs maximize Defense, as Appletun needs as much physical bulk as possible to always handle Dracovish and Excadrill. Thick Fat's added resistances far outweighs outweigh the potential Berry (Capitalize) benefits of Ripen, as the Fire-type Appletun's resistance to Fire allows Appletun it to handle Fire-types like Cinderace and Rotom-Heat while taking much less from Dracovish's Ice Fang.

Appletun functions best on balance teams that would appreciate a defensive Grass-type that handles Ground-types and Dracovish. Appletun and Toxapex work especially well with each other, with Toxapex handling Darmanitan-Galar Galarian Darmanitan and Gyardos Gyarados, (AC) while Appletun switches into Ground- and Electric-types alongside Dracovish. Specially defensive (Lowercase) Ferrothorn also has decent synergy with Appletun, (AC) as they have very little defensive overlap and cover a fair share of each other's weaknesses, with Appletun handling Pokemon such as Rotom-Heat for Ferrothorn. Corviknight also has good synergy with Appletun, resisting Flying- and Dragon-type attacks, (AC) while Appletun can switch into the Fire- and Electric-type attacks from Pokemon such as Cinderace that threatens threaten Corviknight.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>], [<username2>, <userid2>]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)