Apprentice Program: Round Eighty Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Username: WorthyYeti
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:WorthyYeti
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:EST. 3-4 PM 7-11PM
What tier do you want to learn?: XYOU
Tell us a little about yourself:I play the trumpet. A lot. Music is my life. I know lots of people say that, but for me I think it is really true. When I'm not playing, I am listening or trying to write something. I also like to sleep and watch a ton of movies
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yeah
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?:Yes
Fewer than 25: I don't want to annoy people. I have nothing creative to add because I do not know enough about the metagame and teambuilding etc. to not be a nuscance
Note: I was selected before to be in the apprentice program, but my tutor and I never connected. I take partial blame for that and understand if I am passed over, but I truly do want to learn how to be better at Pokemon

Username: HOTSHOCK (Nicholas)
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: HOTSHOCK
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:
(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
(Weekdays: 3:45 PM to 10:30 PM) (Weekends: 12:00 PM to 12:30 AM)
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a freshman in high school who really likes playing Pokemon and a few other video game franchises like Sonic, Mega Man, and Fallout. I'm not much of an Anime guy, but I really like the Dragon Ball franchise. I don't watch TV very often anymore, but because of shows like Gravity Falls and Adventure Time, I'm trying to get back into the habit. I am diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.
I also have a YouTube channel (here's the link https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4te5emTjl42NaN5CDC5OGQ).

I'm looking to get tutored to polish my skills at competitive play. I have been playing for roughly a year and a half and I think I am decent at creating teams (might post an RMT soon). I watch a good amount of Pokemon Showdown lives so that might have also shaped me into a decent player. I however feel that I have issues in the actual battlefield in that I can use Team Preview well to scout out my win conditions, leads, etc., but I tend to over-predict and sometimes I just have bad timing with setting up hazards and setting up for a sweep. Thankfully, my acquaintance Don Honchkrorleone suggested that I should try to qualify for a round of tutoring at Battling 101. I was further inspired to do so when I learned that PokeaimMD (a YouTube user who's really entertaining) got tutored as well in the past.

I have a somewhat different learning pattern, so I might not understand some things as quickly as some others would. I also like creativity in the metagame, and enjoy making (and seeing) sets that aren't super gimmicky (a good example would be a lure Mew with the dark-resistant berry that's supposed to lure Bisharp in and kill it with Superpower or Power Swap Altaria in 5th Gen RU that I saw another YouTube user named 6ftHax utilize). I also like building teams around under-utilized Pokemon like Mega Tyranitar or Diggersby. I'm not always playing Pokemon seriously, so I might make a team themed around dogs or something for funzies.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: I prefer Skype, but sure
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Depends on when the tournament takes place. I have my freshman finals in two weeks to study for.
Brief explanation on why I should be tutored even though I have less than 25 posts: I won't be the most active member of Smogon, as I usually lurk around the forums like once or twice a week most of the time. I would however like to make RMTs and rate other's teams, so you can expect me to be on the RMT forum most of the time. I would like to occasionally contribute to the Smog as I find the webazine very entertaining. I also go on Showdown very often.

Last edited:
Username: Hubbystuff
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Hubbystuff
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -6. 4-9 pm on Monday through Thursday. 10pm-1am Saturday. I'll become more flexible after graduation
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU and maybe BW2 OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a high school senior and I've. Loved pokemon ever since I first saw the show when I was little. I've been playing competitively since 2010 and I want to hone my skills to be the very best. I also love playing magic the gathering with my crew and I want to be good at that too. I dream of being a chef and someday opening up a classy lounge, grill, or some kind of restaurant with my girlfriend. I have a pet chameleon named stitch.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: definitely! I see this as a prime opportunity to learn new things and sharpen my skills at battling.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: hell yeah!

Username: C.B. Heimerdonger
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Weekdays: 4-10PM PST Weekends: 9AM-6PM PST
Tell us a little about yourself: I am confident in my ability to predict and analyze opponents' team comps, but I suck every flavor of ass at teambuilding. I learned (a bit) from shofu and Blametruth's videos, but my metagame knowledge comes from just battling a lot. I like to use unorthodox pokemon, but have no problem with things like zard and talonflame.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?: Sure, but I suck at tournaments =(
Brief explanation on why I should be tutored even though I have less than 25 posts: I'm not the most active on the forums, but I'm on showdown almost every day and do a large variety of tiers. I just want to be able to do well in my favorite tier.

Username: Vasi
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy username: Dot Smith
Time Zone Availability: Eastern Time Zone, Tuesdays-Friday 5-12 Pm and All day Saturday and Sunday
What tier do I want to learn?: UU
Tell use a little about yourself: Just started going to the gym, I like manga and Pokemon
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors: Yes, I would.
Are you interested in playing for the round 84 Tutee Tournament: That would be cool won't lie I do well in tournaments
Brief Explanation of why I should be tutored if I have fewer than 25 posts: I love pokemon and I really like to learn from anyone who can teach me something new. I don't really post a lot because I really don't know what to post.

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Username: Albus
Pokemon Showdown Username: Albus80
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5, I'm available nearly every day, except maybe in the weekends.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY VGC 2014 or if that's not possible, XY UU.
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm more of a casual player than a competitive one (i used to play a lot in the BW/BW2 OU and VGC '13 metas, but that was long time ago) and when it comes to competitive gaming, i feel i fare better in Doubles than Singles, but even then I'm a bit rusty since 6th Gen came out and i didn't have any motivation to play again, coupled with the fact I don't have 6th Gen games or even a 3DS... until recently, that's why I decided to come here to "relearn" everything from the new (for me) VGC meta, its biggests threats, teambulding advice, etc etc; but if that's not possible, i'd like to learn about XY UU instead.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Y
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Maybeh.

I was skipped in the last round.

Username: Pokemasta77
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Pokemasta / En Fegit
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST and quite often
What tier do you want to learn?: XY LC
Tell us a little about yourself: Pokemon, League Of Legends, Super Smash Bros, Yolo Swag
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?: Sure

In the next round, say that you get priority in your post.

Username: EmeraldEnchanter
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Tanbalonflamepls
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Whatever Boston time is and I'm available 2-6 PM except on wednesdays and fridays
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU or RU
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing pokemon all my life but never took it seriously until a year ago, however I feel I have hit a barrier in skill level that I can't pass on my own and I still lack several crucial skills for pokemon battles so I'm looking for a mentor to help me get better at pokemon.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Wynaut?

Username: AGuyWithPants
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: PS name :- MyEyesAreOpen
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: All times except from 3 - 11 AM +5:30 GMT
What tier do you want to learn?: OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I started competitive about 2 years ago but was never good at it due to having little time as well as not really paying attention. Now I want to learn about the many different styles of battling and how the metagame evolves as well as to learn how to play correctly and predict what your opponent is about to do. Last, I do want to become more active with this community and I feel that this is a way that can me me merge with everyone here.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Yes.
Brief explanation of why I should be tutored if I have fewer than 25 posts: I am not very active on the forums as I'm really shy honestly. I do want to improve so that I can help other people as well and be more active

Last edited:
Username: skrtel
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: skrtel
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: gmt +2. mostly at nights. think like between 10pm-1am or so. but flexible.
What tier do you want to learn?: dpp ou
Tell us a little about yourself: im spanish boy. i like football. ala madrid. i like beer and pkmn too. i want to practice dpp ou because is still relevants in tournament play.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: sure
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: yes

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS: i should be tutored because im active and actually interested in learn, even though i don't have so much post. mainly cause im lazy man and bad at english, but im active playing tours and on irc too.

Last edited:
Username: Demerzel
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Demerzel (Pokemon Showdown)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -4, Available from 4:00 PM to 11:00 PM most days.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY VGC 2014
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm an Electrical Engineer student. This is my last year and I'm finishing my thesis. Whit the Pokemon XY release,
my friends and I restarted to play Pokemon which gave us fun moments and childhood memories. Playing this new game, I realize the complexity of the competitive scene so I started to learn about Breeding and Battling principles, but I'm still struggling with team building.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure!
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Absolutely
Brief Explanation of why I should be tutored if I have fewer than 25 posts: I feel that I don't have enough knowledge to contribute, but I continuisly read the forum. With this opportunity I'm willing to share what I learned and help the community growth.

Last edited:
Username:Phenomenaut
Pokemon ShowdownUsername: Phenomenaut
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: PST, evenings
Tell us a little about yourself: 21 year olds, currently working full time going back to school in september, got back into pokemon with X, been playing on showdown for several months. I can never get past 1400 on the ladder, so I'm looking for instruction and advice.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Yes

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS: I'm very active on showdown; I play 5-10 matches a day minimum(far more when Im off work) and while I don't post often I've been lurking on smogon constantly since I made this account. I'd love to contribute more to the community I just don't have the knowledge to add anything right now.

Username: Enki
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Henki
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +1, before 18 (from monday to friday), and all the week-end (If I can)
What tier do you want to learn?: XU OU; BW OU; DP OU.
Tell us a little about yourself: I am a student play athletics, I like play pokemon, it is funny xD. In athletics I run 400m and 800m (I hate this distance), but I am not bad in 200 m. I am a breeder ingame, and I like play VGC, it was my first tier I learnt.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?: Yes

Username: asbdsp
Pokemon Showdown Username: asbdsp
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Evenings EST, weekends
What tier do you want to learn?: ADV OU
Tell us a little about yourself: Trying to make the jump from a PS OU battler to Legendary Status. Need to learn about higher level battling decision making, advanced team building, and forum integration. I'm a hardworking dude, who rather enjoys playing this game, especially since the advent of Gen VI.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Yes.

Username: starcrusher
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: starcrusher
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: PST (california), hours vary but my schedule is super flexible
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU, UU (RU once the meta solidifies! That's what I've been playing on PS)
Tell us a little about yourself: i'm a musician, worker of odd jobs, wanderer, and fan of pokemon ever since i got red version on the fat grey gameboy. i've been playing competitively off and on since DPP, was involved heavily in NU around the time it was first developing but feel like I've never really been able to take my skills to the next level. I want to be able to construct more effective teams and just step my predictions and gameplanning up a lot. I'm excited for the opportunity!
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: sure
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: yeah

Last edited:
Username: Mega-Swampert
Pokemon Showdown Username: Alphabeta4
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 4:00pm-5:00pm Gmt +10
What tier do you want to learn?: XY little cup, XY overused
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a teenager who likes pokemon, sports and strategy. I'm kinda new to smogon, and I'm starting to get the hang of ubers, so I want to learn the other end of the spectrum.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Yes, but I may have exams, so depends when they are.

Last edited:
Username: Scizor4u
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown Username: Scizor4u
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:Philippine Time Zone (UTC+08:00) Weekdays: Sometimes 8:00-8:30 PM(if I have classes) but its still summer: 10:00 AM- 5:30 PM
Weekends:Almost always except times 10:00PM-8:00AM
Tell us a little about yourself: WWE and NBA fan!I am the only Pokemon player in our School to take pokemon battles seriously. I am usually silent around people so I usually just read the forums than join. I usually hang out at PS but I realized I need to get better.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?: Who wouldn't?
(Actually it depends on my schedule so I hope It wouldn't interfere against that.)
Brief explanation of why I
should be tutored if I have
fewer than 25 posts
: I don't like to post too much. I usually like to read forums and battle than post. Also because I'm busy watching WWE.

Last edited:
Username: galbia
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: galbia
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+1, almost every afternoon
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Ubers
Tell us a little about yourself: I am an italian student that plays pokemon in his free time. I started playing in late DPPT and last Gen i played a lot the lower tiers due to the rainy OU that never really liked much. I have gotten good results in BW NU going top 10 on the ladder a few times (i think it is the meta i enjoyed the most of any time, especially the last 2-3 rounds). In XY i played a lot of OU waiting for the lower tiers to come and i liked it (surprisingly)also being active on IRC (mostly on #rarelyused now, cool guys there). Now i want to learn more about Ubers because it looks like a fun tier to play but it is very hard to find good games to improve.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: /

Last edited:
Username: Adrima
Pokemon Showdown username: Adrima
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: UTC + 01:00, all afternoon because it's holidays next week and then only wednesday and the week-end
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU ( preferred one ) or XY Ubers
Tell us a little about yourself: I am a French student who began to play Pokemon with the sixth gen but always loved the universe. I'm a quite good player imo, managing to predict quite well and know the basis of team building. I managed to be in the top 500 of PS one time but can't get higher because my team couldn't do anything to my opponent's as it has too many weaknesses. I would like to learn more about teambuilding to avoid having too many threats. I also gave LC and Ubers a try and managed to be in the top 100 of the first before Murkrow and Meditite suspect test.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Don't know what it is but I think yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Won't have much time so no unfortunately

I was skipped in the last round.

Username: Whoopsie Daisy
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Whoopsie Daisy
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: UTC - 5. Nearly every day and best from 5 PM to 10 PM.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU, or UU
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been involved in looking through the competitive community and I've kept abreast of the metagame, but I'm not confident in my own teambuilding skills and coverage planning. My best traits are my knowledge of options and quick decision making capabilities, but I tend to be blindsided by my opponents options even with all of that.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yeah.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Definitely.

Username:Smog Frog
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:GarTar
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:CT, typically free around 4-5 PM, then free again 7-10 PM
What tier do you want to learn?:XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself:Well I am desperately trying to find something that I can take up as a hobby, and pokemon seemed to be just the right thing. I am unfortunately, not very good at it. I aspire to be a scientist when I grow up, especially in the physics field. While I do have friends, they don't have the same interest I do in competitive pokemon. I want to become good at the game, and play at a top-tournament level. I want to be the guy that gets top 16 on smogtour, and the guy that everyone knows is a good player. I found that tutoring may help me in that endeavor, so I am signing up.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: If it means getting better, sure
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Its what I want to be good at, so ofc yes

Username: ArousedByClockwork
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: ABClockwork (Pokemon Showdown)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: UTC-5 and from 7pm 'till 1 in the morning, but I won't be active until Friday.
What tier do you want to learn?: VGC14
Tell us a little about yourself: I guess this is where I say why I should be tutored. I really just want to get involved with the community ever since I started lurking and reading the smog. I heard that the VGC portion of the meta is under-appreciated here, so I want to help change that by hopefully once I actually gain enough knowledge of the game to back up my opinions. I used to be sort of good back in the days of BW, and have taught numerous friends of mine how to play the game, so at the very least if I'm not active on the forums I can help out with the people I play with irl.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: If they're willing to talk and we have time, I don't see why not.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: If I get a tutor and it's on a date that's open for me, then sure.

Last edited:
Eh, why not.
Username: basedtoast
Timezone and usual hours of availability: (Weekdays) 4:30 PM-10:00 PM, (Weekends) 10:00AM-12:00PM EST
What tier(s) do you want to learn: UU, RU
Tell us a little bit about yourself: I liek pokemans
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: I have no idea what that is, since I just joined smogon (the site) recently.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament: Sure, I'll rek u all come and fite me irl but don't place bets, as I am not the best at tournaments.
Brief explanation of why I should be tutored (since I have fewer than 25 posts): I get stuck around 1450 and it all goes downhill from there. I'd like to build teams that can work for a while, rather than a brief time. I am really interested in XY UU, RU not exactly as much (since cress ;-;), but I am willing to try to get better. Woot

Username: Nomark
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Kinetic Sand
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: US East Coast (GMT -4), Very flexible schedule, mostly 5:30-8:30 pm and 11:30pm - 2:30 am.
Tell us a little about yourself: I need to get good. I only have low-mid ladder experience but want to help with sets and analyses. More personally, I aspire to one day become a theoretical physicist, as math and logic are two the things I'm best at.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: I am, but I expect nothing from it.

Username: Box
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Bauxe
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +8, 8:30pm to 12am. Weekends all day long.
Tell us a little about yourself: I game a lot. League of Legends, Pokemon and my 3DS are generally my biggest time-eaters. I'm friendly and I talk a lot and I enjoy talking about anything under the sun. I also write and am aspiring to be a journalist or copywriter.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Of course
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Yes

Note: I was previously assigned a tutor (idiotfrommars) last year, but for the wrong tier. I subsequently missed future rounds as my internship swamped me and I went MIA from Smogon for a while. I'm not sure if I qualify to be a tutee as such, but I thought I'd apply anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)