Apprentice Program: Round Eighty Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Welcome to Round 89 of Battling 101. If you're seeking a tutor, you're in the right place. Read the rules carefully and fill out the signup template below. This round will end on October 17th.
  • You must be able to access IRC or Skype, or whatever your tutor wants as the primary form of communication. We have an IRC channel #battling101 for easy communication with most of the tutors.
  • You, the tutee, are responsible for setting up times with your tutor. Don't expect them to come to you. Take the initiative and post on their VM wall first. Additionally, please be patient if your tutor doesn't respond in the first 2-3 days.
  • Use the Tutee Talk forum to complain about your tutor (or praise them if they're doing a good job). These are no longer mandatory, but if your tutor is ridiculously inactive or is a complete jackass, COMPLAIN HERE. Nobody can see your tutee talk posts except for you and the Battling 101 Staff; everything is confidential.
  • Don't request tutors unless they have agreed to tutor you. Tutors: if you agree to take on that tutee, you may have to take two tutees depending on our matchup situation.
  • You may request priority if you were skipped in the previous two rounds, or if you had a ridiculously inactive tutor. Make it obvious in your signup thread that you are requesting it, otherwise we'll just glance over it when making pairings. Also, since we only have 2 VGC tutors, we're not going to do priority for VGC.
Fill out this form below, failure to fill out this form adequately means that Battling 101 Mods can ignore your signup post.

Username:
PO/PS! Username:
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:
What tier do you want to learn?:
Tell us a little about yourself:
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?:
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:
Example said:
Username: Steven Snype
PO/PS! Username: Andrew
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 8 PM - 3 AM, GMT -4
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm an Indian and I try to get girls at an engineering school. I play Pokemon in my free time and the ladies call me brown sugar.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes
The Blacklist (aka Battling 101 Detention)
You will be banned from signing up for future rounds if:

• You show poor activity over the course of a round (banned for 2 rounds)
  • You decide during the round that you do not wish to be tutored anymore, or you mistakenly sign up for a tier you thought was something else, and no longer wish to be tutored. This is most common when selecting Smogon Doubles / VGC, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING (banned for 2 rounds)
  • You show a lack of enthusiasm or you're consistently distracted by other things (banned for 1 or 2 rounds)
  • You fail to complete the tutor evaluation form that we will send out during the last week of the round (banned for 2 rounds)
  • You are annoying to deal with. This will vary from tutor to tutor. Some tutors don't like it when you talk back, argue with them, whine about hax, whine about sucking at Pokemon, or any version of the 'woe is me' attitude. Tutors get pissed at different things, so if they complain to us that you are exhibiting poor behavior, expect to be on the blacklist. (banned for 3 rounds)
Repeated offense of any of the situations above means you will have an extra round added to the regular ban. For example, if you show for a second round that you have poor activity, your ban will be 3 rounds. If you have been on the blacklist for three different instances, you will be EXPELLED from Battling 101 (perma-ban from signing up).

Seismitoad: 89-90
Heaven's Limit: 89-90
Bhunivelze: 89-90
Swanson: 89-90
JuniBoy: 89-90
Professor Ben: 89-90
Assassin Rogue: 89-90
Peef Rimgar: 89-90
SOMALIA: 89-90

Ace Emerald
Aenonar
Arikado
Audiosurfer
BKC
Bluwing
Bouffalant
Caledrith
Calloflochie
EonX
Fakes
FLCL
galbia
Haruno
IronBullt93
Jio
Jirachee
King UU
Laga
Leftiez
macle
Mizuhime
Molk
namehtmas
Pwnemon
Raseri
Reymedy
Royalty
ShootingStarmie
SnowCristal!
Soulgazer
Steve Angello
Subject 18
Sweep
TRC
Trinitrotoluene
Unbirthday
Wepwn
X5Dragon
Yagura
Zebraiken

This thread will close after 60 posts have been made to prevent a huge backlog of people requesting priority for the next round. Any post after the 60 count threshold will be deleted, regardless of priority posts.

Last edited:
Username:ej1elliot
PO/PS! Username:testwad
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 6:00 p.m. – Midnight Mon- Fri - 9AM - Midnight on weekends. GMT +0 (London)
What tier do you want to learn?: X/Y OU Singles
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm interested to try and adapt what I learn in to a probability science to maximise the likelihood of highest win ratio and track it as the metagame changes. Aside from that I snowboard which is pretty fun! :)
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes indeed

I have less than 25 posts and should be tutored because...:) : My only posts were to try and get my team up to scratch on RMT and I heard about this tutoring I really like the strategy and was pretty good in the days of Gold / Silver but things have changed a lot since then.

Last edited:

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Username: Weebl
PO/PS! Username: Weebl
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EDT/GMT-4 I’m 6 - 9 PM EDT on weekdays, and on weekends, I’m available for pretty much the whole day. If I’m not available for a certain time for whatever reason, I’ll be sure to let my tutor know.
Tell us a little about yourself: I love trivia, and am almost always open to learn more tidbits of information here and there. Mythology and science are 2 areas of trivia that I really like. I also like (as you can tell from my avi) anime. I’ve been playing Pokemon since Platinum, which was my first game.

I first started PS in May of 2013, but back then I was just fooling around with friends and not really trying to join the competitive scene. I started lurking on Smogon in the end of the BW era and played a few matches on the BW OU ladder, but never really tried to play with good sets or made predictions. I started to play competitively in XY OU, around the Genesect era. You can find me on PS in the Trivia, Academics and Scavengers rooms. This became a bit long, but I really hope that B101 can help me to improve in my battling and teambuilding skills.

Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: I can use both, but I prefer Skype, especially because of the history logs.

Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes.

Why should I be tutored even though I have less than 25 posts?: I know that if you look at my join date and/or my post count, I look like a noob and to be completely honest . . . I am, and that’s why I’m asking here to see if any of you helpful people can help me improve. The fact of the matter is, I don’t really think I should post until I have something meaningful and useful to say and not just “lol so funneh.”

I think I should be tutored because I’ve been lurking for quite some time, so I have some basic understanding of XY OU. I also feel that I’m pretty hardworking. I know this is quite long, so sorry about that!

Last edited:
I was skipped in Round 88

Username: unfixable
PO/PS! Username: unfixable
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -7, I'm available from 4:00 PM - 10 PM on weekdays (not in straight 6 hours, but in this time frame), and usually whenever on weekends.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Doubles, XY UU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm in love with Other Metagames, specifically STABmons. I used to play standard tiers for awhile but got bored but with the recent bans in UU I thought it sounded fun :heart:
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: IRC: yes, Skype: no.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes n_n!

Last edited:

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Username: horyzhnz
PO/PS! Username: horyzhnz + various alts
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+10, very flexible
Tell us a little about yourself: Funkasaurus was extremely helpful when I had him, but I still find myself choking away many, many games that could have easily been won, esp. in OU. I have the basics n stuff pat down, just not the mindset, so I should be relatively ez to tutor. also i need to beat chimpact for pspl
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: both
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: ya

Last edited:
i was skipped in round 89.

Username
: blizzarddd
PO/PS! Username: blizzarddd
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Eastern standard time, available most weeknights and weekend afternoons. Hours are after 7pm-11pm on weekdays, usually 1pm-? on weekends.
Tell us a little about yourself: I am a 22 year old medical student who enjoys playing pokemon. I have played competitively since DPP, and have alway been right on the cusp of being considered 'good.' I just need that little boost from a tutor that can help me rise to the next level. I love pokemon, and some of my other hobbies include skiing and basketball.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: yes, both!
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yes, i understand the blacklist!
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: yep!
Are you interested in playing for the Round 89 Tutee Tournament? I would love to play in the tournament, and am super interested!

Username: Hmuper
PO/PS! Username: Hmuper
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-5 (Eastern). Available nearly all the time.
What tier do you want to learn?: VGC
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a professional bridge player, lapsed academic, and senior Google engineer.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure
Are you interested in playing for the Round 89 Tutee Tournament?: Yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Indeed I do.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: IRC absolutely; I'm not permitted to install Skype on my computers but have Google Hangouts.

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS. [Not sure if this still applies for 89, but including it just in case] I'm new to competitive but got instantly hooked. I feel like I could bring a lot of my skills from playing card games professionally to bear here too. Also, you guys need more old farts like me around :)

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
Username: slayerx725232
PO/PS! Username: slayerx725232
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST (GMT -5) available from 3PM-8PM most nights depending on work I have. Weekends are an anything goes.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY RU, XY Doubles
Tell us a little about yourself: I personally have been self learning many tiers due to jealousy of never being able to be good at battling. Would love to improve upon it.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yeppers
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Can do either, easily.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: I do indeed understand how it works.

SIDE NOTE: MISSED ROUND 87 and ROUND 88.

plus edit: skipped =/= missed, skipped means you made an effort to post in the 87-88 signup thread and missed means you never bothered to, meaning it is not grounds for priority

Last edited by a moderator:
Username: Tiniodfluflu
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: zxcq
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT - 4 (EDT), 4pm-11:59pm
What tier do you want to learn?: Gen6 OU, or Gen6 Ubers (Prefer OU)
Tell us a little about yourself: So I picked up competative pokemon way back in gen4 when I was in highschool (4drag2mag best metagame) and used to play a ton. Then roughly when the first group of gen5 games were released, real life things that had priority over playing pokemon happened, so the amount of time I had to play significantly decreased to effectively zero, so I've never really had the chance to play since then. Now that I'm back, the metagame is entirely different than the one I started in.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Both
Do I understand the blacklist: yes

< 25 posts: I played a ton of gen4, and the very beginning of gen5. I have the basics down, but I have trouble adapting to the new metagame. Between mechanics changes, new typing, and new styles of play, I haven't been exactly able to keep up as well as I'd like, so getting a tutor to help with learning how to get past certain styles of play and learning how to adapt to the new metagame and pokemon would be nice, especially since I haven't owned any pokemon games since HG/SS, so I'm not as familiar with gen6 as I'd like to be.

o.o the list changed between rounds

Last edited:
Username: DoctorGamma

Pokemon Showdown Username: Doctor Realist

Time Zone and Availability: EDT. I'm free from 3pm to 9pm, except for 5pm-6pm

Tier: Gen VI OU

About me: I'm really peaceful and prefer it when people speak calmly, but I know how to take a joke :)
I've been trying to learn competitive forever but I think I need 1-to-1 contact to make that happen.

Blacklist: Yep.

Fewer than 25 posts? Yeah, sorry; I look around but not much interests me here besides the Pokemon, which tends to
be too much for me to understand @-@ Haha. (Not sure if you wanted this, but I still wanted to clarify)

Username: Twiggyology
PO/PS! Username: GamerTwiggy
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST (Weekdays) 3:15 P.M. - 4:45 P.M. (Weekends) 10:30 A.M. - 11:30 P.M.
What tier do you want to learn?: Mostly OU Gen 6 but I'm good with learning anything in Gen 6
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm very competitive and I have loved Pokemon ever since I was 3 so about when Gen 3 came out. I recently got into competitive battling and I know the basic but I wanna learn more. I'm very friendly and love to meet new people, but I'm also a little short-tempered XD. Cant wait to meet everyone!
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: BothDo you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes

Username: TheSuperSaiyanBreloom
PO/PS! Username: TCBB
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Eastern Time. I'm mostly available through Monday to Fridays on 2:30-5:00 pm, and 6:00-7:00pm. Every Wednesday I have half days so I can be on starting at 1:00. I might be on in the mornings on Sunday.
Tell us a little about yourself: I have been playing since the end of BW1. Have been improving a bit but I think I still need a little push on battling. I'm a junior in school.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: I can use both but I prefer skype
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes I understand how the blacklist works

I was skipped in round 88.

Username: Swiffft
PO/PS! Username: Swiffft
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 4pm - 9pm PST
What tier do you want to learn?: Ubers/UU
Tell us a little about yourself: Hey, my name is Swift and I have been playing OU for a while and want to try something different. I am 15 years of age.
I stream pokemon x/y battles on twitch daily. Other then pokemon I really don't do much.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Skype

Last edited:
Username: KMizfit_PE

PO/PS! Username: KMizfit_PE

Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 3:30pm EDT - 12am EDT

What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU/VGC

Tell us a little about yourself: My name is Don, I've been doing competitive battling for around a year. I'm a rather creative writer and have exceedingly high grades. I'm a fun guy, and if you know me, I'm a pokemon addict. Friends come to me for Optimal Teambuilding, and when It comes to battling I'm the best they know. I specialize in Hyper Offensive, and I hope to become extremely good in more than that.

Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yep. IRC Preferrably.

Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Got it.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Username: Ununhexium
PO/PS! Username: Ununhexium
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -4 afternoons and weekends
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU, XY UU, and XY NU in order
Tell us a little about yourself: I want to learn OU mostly because of my love for the CAP project, UU to get better at the tier, and NU to learn a new metagame. I am pretty much in most forums on Smogon, so I am well integrated in the community

Username: TheKingKarp
PS Name: TheKingKarp PO Name: TheKingKarp
Timezone- Eastern Time Zone I believe its GMT-4, available hours vary but usually 7-9 should be open
Tier: XY OU and/or BW OU
Little bit about myself: I run a youtube channel! and try to make quality content! Love this game and look forward to learn more
I can use Skype and should be able to figure out IRC
I understand the blacklist
Why I should be tutored despite having >25 posts: I play a lot of XY OU and upload a lot of Pokemon to my channel. Ive gotten to the 1600's or so, I hope to get better

I followed the form so I think I did it right :]

Username: Robbed
PO/PS! Username: Robbed
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Timezone is GMT -1, available hours will be in the evenings, so 9-12 PM GMT-1.
What tier do you want to learn?: Any, but XY UU is most preferred.
Tell us a little about yourself: I played a bit back in DPP and pre-release BW, but I've since lost touch with the metagames. Even then I usually just went with vanilla Smogon sets, not knowing how teams worked through my own knowledge. In real life I'm a 21 year-old civil servant with an interest in a wide variety of games and other art forms.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: I do, and I intend to avoid it.

Last edited:
I was skipped in Round 88.

Username:
GGamer745
PO/PS! Username: GGamer745
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -4, Available 3:30 PM and so on.
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a Puerto Rican battler, have an interest in drawing, writing, but when it comes to Pokemon... Oh boy. I absolutely love to team build and battle, and i've done so since the BW Era. I always try my best in battle, but I just feel as if I haven't unlocked my full potential. I know it sounds cliche, but what can I say? I'm signing up for improving my skill at battling, building, and trying to make a name for myself on Smogon. But of course, having fun is the most important factor. :]
Are you able to use IRC or Skype?: Both, but I prefer Skype.
Less than 25 posts: All I do is lurk rather than post at the moment. I rarely post. Honestly, I don't know what to post and where. I spend most of my time on the OU Competitive Discussion thread, reading articles and whatnot. I think I should be tutored for the reason I've mentioned above. I want to be the best battler I can be, and I'll stop at nothing to accomplish my goal. :]

Last edited:
Username: Dallaren
PO/PS! Username: Dallaren
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +8 (5PM - 2-3 AM)
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU/XY Ubers ( maybe NU, followed ubers for a while but haven't played much)
Tell us a little about yourself: I am a very competitive person and come from the world of Mobas, and have been playing mons since July 2013 and mostly play OU but I have picked up other tiers as well. I mostly want to get a better understanding of the game (learn to think things through and have a better game sense) and learn under someone experienced as I am inexperienced in comparison to others and do not possess much tour knowledge. I would say i'm generally a nice and helpful person. Im taking a semester off college ( to become a pokemon master ofcourse) so I have quite a bit of free time. I am a OU room mod and have been playing the tier quite a bit so I am familiar with it, i've also lurked around ubers/nu but haven't played as much.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Able to use both

Last edited:
Showdown user ID: SickSevenOne
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Anytime the tutor will be able to accommodate me :] +10 GMT
What tier do you want to learn?: X/Y OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm currently 24 years old and in the U.S. Army. I have some knowledge about the competitive scene and won a couple of tournaments on the Tournament Channel. Very chill and relaxed dude, so tutoring me should be FUN!
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Of course, any feedback to make this program better.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 89 Tutee Tournament?: Yes :]

Username: umbriel
PO/PS! Username: umbriel
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST, most evenings. I'm pretty flexible, so I can work with whatever hours the tutor's available.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY NU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a long-timer lurker of the smogon forums, but want to learn about and get involved in XY NU to participate in a fun, innovative tier. I've been playing pokemon since Pokemon Blue (with a Game Boy borrowed from my cousin) and have loved the game ever since. Outside of Smogon, I work as a librarian, enjoy working out, and have a fascination with marine biology.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: I can use both, but I tend to be on Skype more often.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes.

Last edited:
Username: TheSwagger
PO/PS! Username: TheSwagger
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5, most afternoons besides Saturday
What tier do you want to learn?: XY UU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm just your average 16 year old guy from NJ. I've started playing Pokemon back in Gen 3 but only started to delve into the competitive side last summer. Not really much else to know.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: IRC is good

HAD INACTIVE TUTOR LAST ROUND 87

Username: TrulyDevious

Pokemon Showdown Username: TrulyDevious

Timezone and Hours of Availability: GMT +8 every night weekdays and basically all day weekends

Tell us a little about youself: Patient, willing to learn, absolutely loves UU and intends to marry it. Also an Asian HS student.

What tier do you want to learn?: XY UU

Will you be willing to do tutee tak threads on your tutors?: Yes.

Are you interested in playing for the Round 89 Tutee tournament?: Yes, why not?

Are you able to use IRC or Skype?: IRC only

Understand how blacklist works? : Yep.

Username:MasterRyuga
PO/PS! Username:MasterRyuga
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:12pm-3am est
What tier do you want to learn?:Uber
Tell us a little about yourself:Easy person to talk to and open to ideas
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?:yes,but kids make noise so i rather not use skype IRC yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:yes

Username: Mysteria
PO/PS! Username: Myysteria
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST, 7-9 PM or Midday
What tier do you want to learn?: VGC
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a 15 year old Lebanese-American that does C&C work on Smogon and loves Soft Rock and Martial Arts! :)
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Just IRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)