Doubles Araquanid

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

Araquanid is a formidable physical attacker that also serves a unique supportive role due to its good bulk and access to Wide Guard. Its relatively low base Attack is compensated for by its signature ability Water Bubble, which doubles the Base Power of its Water-type moves while also granting it a Fire resistance and burn immunity. Between its Wide Guard support and strong Water-type attacks, Araquanid excels at checking common spread attackers such as Mega Charizard Y, Landorus-T, Heatran, and Zygarde. Its low Speed stat is a blessing and a curse. On one hand, it makes Araquanid a potent Trick Room attacker and a strong check to opposing Trick Room sweepers like Hoopa-U. However, outside of Trick Room, Araquanid is forced to absorb hits before attacking, and its lackluster physical bulk makes it a liability against strong physical attackers like Mega Salamence and Mega Kangaskhan. It also has a shallow movepool and lackluster base Attack stat, so Araquanid is easily walled by targets that resist its ability-boosted Water-type attacks.

[SET]
name: Wide Guard Attacker
move 1: Liquidation
move 2: Poison Jab
move 3: Wide Guard
move 4: Protect
item: Mystic Water / Waterium Z
ability: Water Bubble
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Water Bubble's boost, Liquidation is by far Araquanid's strongest and most spammable STAB attack. Poison Jab is the preferred coverage move, as it vastly improves Araquanid's matchup against Tapu Bulu, a Pokemon that would otherwise wall Araquanid and threaten it out with strong physical attacks. Leech Life is another option that makes use of Araquanid's Bug-type STAB, but at less than half the Base Power of Liquidation, it rarely hits targets harder and typically isn't worth running over Poison Jab. Wide Guard allows Araquanid to protect its partners from spread moves like Rock Slide, Heat Wave, and Earthquake. Protect keeps Araquanid safe while its partners deal with any possible threats.

Set Details
========

Araquanid can run Mystic Water for more consistent damage output while still landing an OHKO on 0 HP / 0 Def variants of Mega Charizard Y under sun. Waterium Z transforms Liquidation into Hydro Vortex, which hits at a whopping 320 Base Power thanks to a boost from Water Bubble. Hydro Vortex guarantees OHKOs against several relevant Pokemon, including all variants of Mega Charizard Y under sun, all variants of Landorus-T after an Intimidate, and Mega Metagross. A Brave nature and maximum Attack EVs allow Araquanid to hit as hard as possible. A Speed-decreasing nature and 0 Speed IVs are chosen to underspeed as many threats as possible under Trick Room, since Araquanid doesn't outspeed anything relevant outside of Trick Room. 252 HP and 4 Special Defense EVs maximize Araquanid's overall bulk. Water Bubble doubles the Base Power of Araquanid’s Water-type attacks, allows it to resist Fire attacks, and prevents it from being burned. Araquanid is not viable without this ability.

Usage Tips
========

Araquanid can function well at any point in the game, as it easily pivots in on resisted special attacks and then breaks down the opposing team with Liquidation. Even if Araquanid isn't in play, having it in the back means you can send it in to sponge some special attacks for its teammates. Araquanid is a particularly strong counter to Mega Charizard Y and Heatran, as it can easily switch in on their Fire-type attacks, then either force them out with a strong Water-type attack or spam Wide Guard to protect its allies. In a pinch, Araquanid can also pivot in reliably on an Earthquake from Landorus-T. As a Trick Room sweeper, Araquanid has linear and predictable offensive coverage, so in that role it should be saved for a mid- or late-game scenario where Pokemon that resist Water have been dealt with. If using Waterium Z, keep in mind that Hydro Vortex is a one-time-use attack; it shouldn't be wasted on a turn where the target is likely to Protect or switch to a bulky Pokemon that resists it. Outside of Trick Room, Araquanid should not be kept on the field while matched up against strong Electric-types like Tapu Koko, strong Flying-types like Mega Salamence, or strong physical attackers like Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Metagross.

Team Options
========

With resistances to both Fire- and Ground-type attacks, Araquanid excels at providing Wide Guard support for offensive Steel-types like Mega Metagross and Heatran. That said, any Pokemon weak to common spread moves will appreciate Araquanid's presence. Mega Metagross has especially great synergy with Araquanid, as it can force out Mega Salamence with Ice Punch and chip away at bulky Water- and Grass-types with its STAB coverage. Araquanid also appreciates partners that can provide Intimidate support, as its Defense stat is lackluster; Landorus-T and Mega Salamence are both great choices. It's also a good idea to pair Araquanid with at least one Trick Room setter, such as Hoopa-U or Bronzong; Araquanid doesn't require Trick Room to function as a Wide Guard supporter, but its full potential as a sweeper is unleashed when Trick Room is activated. Finally, Araquanid struggles with bulky targets that resist Water attacks, such as Mega Salamence, Amoonguss, and Tapu Fini, so partners that can deal with these threats, such as Mega Metagross and Kyurem-B, are helpful.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Sitrus Berry is an option to extend Araquanid's longevity at the expense of some offensive power. Wacan Berry is another option that allows Araquanid to survive a Life Orb-boosted Thunderbolt from Tapu Koko under Electric Terrain and potentially OHKO Tapu Koko in return with Liquidation after it incurs Life Orb recoil. Assault Vest can be used to maximize Araquanid's already-respectable special bulk, but this comes at the expense of its Wide Guard utility and ability to Protect. Finally, a set featuring Normalium Z and Stockpile provides a one-time chance to restore Araquanid's HP while also buffing both its defensive stats.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Shaymin-S and Mega Salamence outspeed Araquanid and inflict severe damage to it, if not OHKOing it outright. The former also has a 60% chance of making Araquanid flinch with Air Slash.

**Electric-types**: Strong Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Rotom-W can OHKO Araquanid or severely damage it.

**Grass-types**: Most viable Grass-types in the Doubles OU metagame, such as Shaymin-S and Amoonguss, carry secondary typings that resist Bug moves, so Araquanid struggles to deal damage to these threats. Amoonguss also underspeeds Araquanid under Trick Room and threatens to induce sleep through Spore.

**Rock-types**: Pokemon with access to strong Rock-type moves, such as Tyranitar and Landorus-T, can quickly take down Araquanid outside of Trick Room. The use of Wide Guard can fend off Rock Slide, but Araquanid is still susceptible to single-target Rock-type attacks like Stone Edge. However, Araquanid generally has the upper hand against these threats inside of Trick Room.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Azumarill, Tapu Fini, and Rotom-W can absorb Araquanid's attacks relatively well and threaten to either set up or deal significant damage in return.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Araquanid's low HP, average Defense, and Bug typing make it vulnerable to common physical attackers such as Mega Salamence, Mega Kangaskhan, and Landorus-T. Landorus-T, however, risks being KOed by Liquidation if it can’t KO Araquanid first.

**Intimidate**: Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Salamence reduce Araquanid's Attack stat, degrading its overall offensive presence.

**Opposing Weather**: Even though Araquanid checks Mega Charizard Y, intense sun drastically reduces its offensive presence versus other targets.

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i wouldn't slash anything with wide guard, as that is one of the few useful move it has. I think Rain Dance, Scald, & Safeguard are worth mentioning in OO imo

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I don't have time to give this a full check right now but there's a lot of issues here. First, fix your formatting. As-is, it's really hard to read and far too spaced out.

The set name needs to be as generic as possible (in this case, something like Wide Guard Attacker will do), as custom names are only allowed in the case where it is widely known as such. Poison Jab is OO at best so take it off the set, but slash Leech Life after Lunge.

Araquanid's SpD is actually pretty fantastic and Water Bubble also halves the damage it takes from Fire-type moves, and you don't really mention that anywhere. The fact that as a neutral target it takes less than 25% from a Timid Zard Heat Wave is pretty ridiculous.

Because it's so specially bulky, Araquanid is in no way dependant on Trick Room being up. Only really powerful special attacks like Electric Terrain LO Tapu Koko can actually OHKO, and its allies appreciate Wide Guard even with no Trick Room.

Electric-types and Flying-types should both be in Checks and Counters.

Do all of those^ and check out the C&C Guide for things to say in Usage Tips / Team Options, and hopefully this will be ready for a first check

GenOne

is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't have time to give this a full check right now but there's a lot of issues here. First, fix your formatting. As-is, it's really hard to read and far too spaced out.

The set name needs to be as generic as possible (in this case, something like Wide Guard Attacker will do), as custom names are only allowed in the case where it is widely known as such. Poison Jab is OO at best so take it off the set, but slash Leech Life after Lunge.

Araquanid's SpD is actually pretty fantastic and Water Bubble also halves the damage it takes from Fire-type moves, and you don't really mention that anywhere. The fact that as a neutral target it takes less than 25% from a Timid Zard Heat Wave is pretty ridiculous.

Because it's so specially bulky, Araquanid is in no way dependant on Trick Room being up. Only really powerful special attacks like Electric Terrain LO Tapu Koko can actually OHKO, and its allies appreciate Wide Guard even with no Trick Room.

Electric-types and Flying-types should both be in Checks and Counters.

Do all of those^ and check out the C&C Guide for things to say in Usage Tips / Team Options, and hopefully this will be ready for a first check
Alright, this was all great feedback and I've implemented your requested changes.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Waterium is the right item for this guy. Sadly, even with it, it doesn't one shot some important things it would want to one shot, and without Life Orb, it's much weaker every other turn. And of course, if you use it into a Protect, it's not even being used all that well.

252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Jirachi: 316-373 (78.2 - 92.3%) :/
252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 268-316 (82.7 - 97.5%) :/

I would also mention in Team Options using it on a rain team or at least with a RD Thundurus, because even if it type stacks weakness while not having Swift Swim, Liquidation starts hitting so hard.
252+ Atk Life Orb Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Jirachi in Rain: 329-387 (81.4 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

aka harder than the Z Move... every turn.

GenOne

I don't think Waterium is the right item for this guy. Sadly, even with it, it doesn't one shot some important things it would want to one shot, and without Life Orb, it's much weaker every other turn. And of course, if you use it into a Protect, it's not even being used all that well.

252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Jirachi: 316-373 (78.2 - 92.3%) :/
252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 268-316 (82.7 - 97.5%) :/

I would also mention in Team Options using it on a rain team or at least with a RD Thundurus, because even if it type stacks weakness while not having Swift Swim, Liquidation starts hitting so hard.
252+ Atk Life Orb Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Jirachi in Rain: 329-387 (81.4 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

aka harder than the Z Move... every turn.
Running Araquanid on a rain team is a really good idea, so once I hear back from QC I can add that to the team options. Outside of rain though, I'd argue that Waterium is justifiable as an item. It OKHOs a lot of relevant mons, even if it fails to do so against bulky steels. In particular, the ability to OHKO Charizard is relevant IMO, since it already pivots into Charizard attacks easily. I'd also hesitate to attack Aegi with Araquanid, seeing as you could easily attack into a King's Shield and cut your attack in half.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Bronzong or Jirachi is a better partner for Araquanid than Thundurus. They can both set up Rain & TR and don't stack in weaknesses. Bronzong is best, b/c it is slower than Araquanid, so it can set up Rain before Araquanid start spamming Liquidation. Waterfall may be a good alternative > Lunge for TR Araquanid to fish for flinches.

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Still a bit more to go through before checks, but here we go:

Set
  • Since Araquanid uses Liquidation so much more than any of its other attacks, Mystic Water is probably better than Life Orb. That also lets it keep the ridiculous bulk, and it still OHKOes no bulk Zard Y in Sun: 252+ Atk Mystic Water Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 296-350 (99.6 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
  • Leave Waterium Z first item slash for now, but QC team will keep talking and get back to you on a potential order switch. If you have a strong opinion I'm curious to hear thoughts towards Waterium Z vs Mystic Water too.
Moves
  • Go a little bit into the secondary effects of Lunge vs Leech Life so that people can be educated when picking which to run
Set Details
  • Talk about Mystic Water to fit new set, take out Life Orb
Team Options
  • It's a policy to avoid discussing redirection as a partner for Pokemon that don't have a setup move of some kind, every Pokemon can benefit from redirection so we have to draw the line somewhere.
  • Provide examples that fulfill your various categories
OO
  • Add Sitrus, AV, and LO here; clarify that LO should only be used with Poison Jab to lure and KO Tapu Bulu, as otherwise it's almost entirely worse than Mystic Water
  • Get rid of Entrainment, I appreciate the gesture to discourage bad gimmicks but I haven't seen it too much
C&C
  • Move **Opposing Weather** to last on the list, sun is not really a check because Araquanid is a decent sun check. I get what you're going for though so that's why moving it to last instead of taking it off
Do those^ and I'll look again, hopefully with less than a month in between this time x

GenOne

Still a bit more to go through before checks, but here we go:

Set
  • Since Araquanid uses Liquidation so much more than any of its other attacks, Mystic Water is probably better than Life Orb. That also lets it keep the ridiculous bulk, and it still OHKOes no bulk Zard Y in Sun: 252+ Atk Mystic Water Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 296-350 (99.6 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
  • Leave Waterium Z first item slash for now, but QC team will keep talking and get back to you on a potential order switch. If you have a strong opinion I'm curious to hear thoughts towards Waterium Z vs Mystic Water too.
Moves
  • Go a little bit into the secondary effects of Lunge vs Leech Life so that people can be educated when picking which to run
Set Details
  • Talk about Mystic Water to fit new set, take out Life Orb
Team Options
  • It's a policy to avoid discussing redirection as a partner for Pokemon that don't have a setup move of some kind, every Pokemon can benefit from redirection so we have to draw the line somewhere.
  • Provide examples that fulfill your various categories
OO
  • Add Sitrus, AV, and LO here; clarify that LO should only be used with Poison Jab to lure and KO Tapu Bulu, as otherwise it's almost entirely worse than Mystic Water
  • Get rid of Entrainment, I appreciate the gesture to discourage bad gimmicks but I haven't seen it too much
C&C
  • Move **Opposing Weather** to last on the list, sun is not really a check because Araquanid is a decent sun check. I get what you're going for though so that's why moving it to last instead of taking it off
Do those^ and I'll look again, hopefully with less than a month in between this time x
Ready for another look. Appreciate you walking me through my first analysis.

E: Forgot to answer your question re: my thoughts on Waterium/Mystic Water order. I don't have a strong opinion either way :)

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
  • [Overview] I don't really think of Araquanid having competition with Aegislash, so go ahead and delete that point - they check entirely different things. While they do both have Wide Guard, one is almost never replaceable with the other.
  • [Moves] Liquidation also has a 20% chance to lower defense, making is super spammable. Make sure to talk about how this is pretty much the only move that Araquanid will use.
  • [Team Options] The bullet point you crossed out is still important - you're telling the user what to add on the team in order to handle Araquanid's checks and counters, whereas Checks and Counters tells the opponent how to deal with Araquanid.
  • [Other Options] Order should be Poison Jab -> Sitrus -> Wacan -> AV -> Normalium Z Stockpile
  • [Checks and Counters] Xurkitree isn't relevant, replace that with Washtom which also takes Liquidation pretty well
  • [Checks and Counters] Order should be x-type Pokemon -> Strong Phys Attackers -> Intimidate -> Storm Drain/Water Absorb -> Opposing Weather
Finish that up and you're good for QC 1/2, go ahead and write this up!

Pocket

bug bite is worth an ac mention (under moves?) Taking away opposing berries plus free recovery ;) Probably more useful than Lunge imo.

GenOne

bug bite is worth an ac mention (under moves?) Taking away opposing berries plus free recovery ;) Probably more useful than Lunge imo.
hmm. Bug Bite's Base Power is only 60 though, which isn't great considering how weak non-Water Araquanid attacks already are. I slashed Leech Life and Lunge because they tied for base power. I'll add it if QC wants me to.

Pocket

I always thought the Bug moves are so weak anyways that they were used more for its utility than for actual damage (ie Leech Life for recovery, Lunge for Atk drop). Stealing the opposing berry is definitely useful.

GenOne

I always thought the Bug moves are so weak anyways that they were used more for its utility than for actual damage (ie Leech Life for recovery, Lunge for Atk drop). Stealing the opposing berry is definitely useful.
You're starting to convince me, but again we'll see what QC says. Although pretty situational, there are a few cases where the Bug STAB hits harder - Araquanid absolutely loves Leech Lifing into Hydreigon and, although Hoopa-U probably dies to Liquidation anyway, a bug move seals the deal (eg what if Araq has been intimidated?). Lunge is really better suited for use under tr, but dropping attack can be pretty useful too. Admittedly I prefer Leech Life though.

talkingtree

large if factual
Memoric brought up some great points about coverage moves and how Liquidation is better to use in almost every case, aside from Poison Jab hitting Tapu Bulu. A 2x resisted Liquidation is stronger than neutral Leech Life, the potential Defense drop is super helpful (it literally beats Milotic), and the main target for Leech Life (Hoopa-U) drops to Liquidation anyway. While Leech Life is nice for Hydreigon and maybe some small amounts of recovery on already-weakened targets, Liquidation covers any potential switch better and without Poison Jab you're resigned to losing to Tapu Bulu. It also 30% poisons so that's a nice side effect I suppose.

Long story short, moveset should be: Liquidation / Poison Jab / Wide Guard / Protect; with Leech Life mentioned in Moves and the reasoning behind no Bug-type STAB in the set elaborated upon. Bug Bite is almost always outclassed by Leech Life, and when it's not, you should probably be clicking Liquidation anyway. While Araquanid is bulky, it's not like it desperately needs the recovery granted by stealing a berry.

Also, we're adopting a new standard for Checks and Counters tags, so please change all **x-type Pokemon** tags to **x-types** tags. It better covers what we want discussed in those sections, you can check the C&C Guide if you want a more in-depth reasoning.

GenOne

100% agree with replacing Bug STAB with Poison Jab - I low key never wanted it to be in OO.

I'll have these changes done by late tonight (GMT-8) and tag you when I'm done!

Thanks!

GenOne

talkingtree's changes are now implemented.

I also added **Rock-types** as a category to match the new standards of those tags, which are now inclusive of common coverage moves on non-STAB Pokemon.

Memoric

GenOne

Just a nudge on this - I'm keen to finish this up or get started on another analysis :)

Sorry for making you wait a century for another check haha
  • [OVERVIEW] Edit the first sentence to something like "Araquanid is a formidable physical attacker with unique supportive application due to its good bulk and access to Wide Guard."
  • [SET] QC discussed it and we came to the agreement that Mystic Water should be slashed before Waterium Z. Araquanid prefers a consistently higher damage output as opposed to a one time nuke.
  • [MOVES] In the second sentence you can just say "With Water Bubble's boost, Liquidation is by far Araquanid’s strongest and most spammable STAB attack." The other info is extraneous and doesn't add much to the analysis.
  • [SET DETAILS] The sentence on Mystic Water should be placed before the one on Waterium Z, due to the set change.
  • [USAGE TIPS] Also mention that Waterium Z shouldn't be wasted into a Protect.
  • [OTHER OPTIONS] Remove the mention of Poison Jab here because it has been moved to the main set, also remove the mention of Life Orb entirely.
  • [CHECKS AND COUNTERS] On the **Electric-types** tag, no need to mention when exactly Tapu Koko's Tbolt will kill cause it's just extraneous info.
  • [CHECKS AND COUNTERS] On the **Grass-types** tag, remove the mention of Bulu because it drops to Poison Jab, and also remove the mention of secondary typings which resist Bug, since Bug STABs aren't on Araquanid's main set anymore.
  • [CHECKS AND COUNTERS] Remove the **Storm Drain and Water Absorb** tag because neither are prominent enough to warrant a specific mention (and besides, neither Gastrodon nor Volcanion can deal meaningful damage to Araquanid in return).
  • [CHECKS AND COUNTERS] Add a tag for **Water-types** such as Azumarill, Tapu Fini, and Rotom-W, which can take Araquanid's attacks with ease and either set up or deal good damage in return.

2/2

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
just wanna add, i really wanna see a point about using araquanid as a way to sponge some special attacks for teammates and another point for using araquanid's ability to pivot and then just break down the opposing team with liquidation in usage tips

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)