Arcana Team- Spread 1

With every generation, I tend to make Pokemon teams based on certain themes. Since B/W came out during my "Persona 3 loving" phase, this generation I decided to make a group of 22 Pokemon, each based off the Major Arcana. The fallowing six are my first group made in this project. Comments and advice are highly appreciated

Changes are listed in red, for it is a sexy color

The Magician

Espeon@ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Nature: Timid

-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball

This is essentially a dual screens varient for Espeon. Its purpose on the team is two-fold: first, it can come in and bounce back status moves and entry hazards with good prediction using Magic Bounce. Its second purpose is to set up and reduce damage overall to itself and its team. Psyshock is on this set so that Espeon can screw over most varients of Chansy and Blissy coming in specially wall it.

The Hierophant

Jellicent@ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpA
Nature: Bold

-Taunt
-Will-o-wisp
-Scald
-Recover

Jellicent is the team's utility counter. As most of the team is more vulnerable on the physical side, this pokemon's task is to spread burn to weaken opposing physical attackers. In addition, its ghost typing makes it so opposing pokemon can’t shatter Espeon’s screens using Brick Break, or use rapid spin to clear away hazards set by Fortress

The Chariot

Conkeldurr@ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 120 HP, 252 Atk, 136 SpD
Nature: Adamant

-Bulk Up
-Mach Punch
-Drain Punch
-Payback

Conkuldurr acts as the heavy muscle of the team. With Bulk Up active, it can take hits very well on the physical side and retaliate with Drain Punch or Payback. Espeon’s screens bolster it further, as well as covering its more vulnerable special side. Conkuldurr also helps with taking down dark-type threats like Weavile thanks to Mach Punch.

The Tower

Fortress@ Leftovers
Ability: Study
EVs: 253 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpD
Nature: Sassy

-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Gyro Ball

This slot was for Gengar, but has been changed to Fortress to add a tank to the team that can set up entry hazards and spin them away. The EVs for this set are to give it the ability to withstand special hits alittle better. Gryo Ball works off the low speed due to it's nature, allowing it to hit for decent STAB on non-resistant targets.

The Devil

Hydregion@ Expert Belt
Ability: Leviate
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe

-Draco Meteor
-Dark Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Fire Blast

Hydregion's slot belonged to Zoroark. While Zoroark is faster and comes with a abilty to cause mind games, Hydregion's movepool, natural bulk, and array of resistances serve help the team out better. It's resitances and immunities help cover up serveral of the team's weaknesses, and other team members cover it's own weaknesses.
Offensively, Hydregion can be a terror to deal with, sporting excellent offensive stats and a wide array of powerful moves. While this set seems to commonly uses Modest for extra power, Timid raises it's speed enough to outpace any 110 base speed pokemon not using a speed-boosting nature.

The Sun

Volcarona@ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe

-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Psychic

With stats just below qualifying as a pseudo-legendary, a move that boosts three stats and a unique typing, what is there not to like? Hell, it's called the Sun Pokemon.... as are Espeon and Sunflora... but besides the point! Volcarona works very well with Espeon, as Espeon can bounce stealth rock and set up defenses, while Volcarona can nail Espeon’s dark and fighting-type counters. Flame Body also means physical-minded pokemon hoping to Brick Break run the risk of getting burned for it. Jellicent can come in and absorb water attacks aimed at it, while Conkuldurr can shrug off rock attacks.

Dude you have no dragon resistance Haxrus Latios and Hydregion can rape 80% of your team plus you can no hazard surpport to cover your problems i suggest a Bronzorg or SD denfensive Heatran

Looking over the two options, I am seeing a SD Heatran being alittle more potentially useful. It will likely be replacing Volcarona's spot on the team. Will provide a set list for it soon. In the meantime, any other suggestions would be appreciated

Either that or you could change The Tower Arcana.....for something more Towerish.....like Ferrothorn (who has great synergy with jellicent) or Fortress.....also, it may would be a good idea to check on your Death, Magician and Hierophant...since they all share a common weakness to dark and ghost attacks...

By the way, Persona 3 is an awesome game!!! Awesome IDEA!

I would definitely consider a rapid spinner, since rocks will do 50% to Volcarona. Maybe Fortress since you don't have any fire weakness, or I guess you can go ahead and stick to predicting with Espeon, but just giving you options. I will do a type analysis for your team if you want.

The idea of changing my Tower Arcana to Ferrothorn or Fortress is a good idea, especially thanks to Jellicent. My Chariot Arcana was originally gonna be Exadrill, but with it's banning Conkuldurr can take it's place. I would post the whole group, but am keeping with the rules on this forum.

Marvin, yes, I agree that Persona 3 was a good game, as is Persona 4

Dragone, if you want to do a type analysis, good ahead, it might help give me ideas for working on this group, and my other arcana

Hench why Marvin and Dragone are suggesting Ferrothorn and Fortress. Also, please remember that this team has a screener. If Haxorus outrages while those screens are up, it's less likely to sweep this team. Also note that Conkuldurr and Jellicent are both bulky pokemon. Also note that this is the reason Jellicent packs moves to inflict burn. The fact that this team has little to anything now to cover being hit by dragon moves has been pointed out.

Ok I said I'd do it and here it is.

Type Weakness/Resistance Analysis

Normal: 1/8
Fire: 1/2
Water: 1
Electric: 2x
Grass: 1/4
Ice: 1/4
Fighting: 1/10
Poison: 1/4
Ground: 1/4
Flying: 4x
Psychic: 1/2
Bug: 1/6
Rock: 1
Ghost: 4x
Dragon: 1
Dark: 2x
Steel: 1/4

Average: 1/2

In total you have four major overall type weakness (the ones in bold). Ghost and Flying are your two largest threats so try to level out your weakness to them. Luckily they are types that aren't too common, but you also have a weakness to Electric and Dark. Electric is one of the most common types in the game today, especially with all the rain abusers. A Poke immune to electric types would greatly improve your team as far as type matching. Your overall TRA (type resistance average) is quite poor, at only 1/2 average resistance (the best I have ever seen was 1/6). Maybe you should think about having types on your team that have a single weakness or a large amount of resistances. Steel types have by far the most type resistances, and thats probably why everyone uses them. Dragon types also have a good number of resistances, especially when compared to the number of their weakness. Other good defensive types include Water, Ground, and Poison. So this should give you some ideas on the basis of creating a team that has few weakness and many strengths.

Thank you for the info Dragone. After some deliberation with a friend of mine, I am deciding of making two major changes:

1. Gengar is going to replaced with Fortress, so that I have something that can rapid spin away hazards and set up my own. While to gives me a pokemon with a 4X weakness to fire, Jellicent can always switch in and wall fire attacks. Fortress also resists 9 different types, and is immune to one, giving it the ability to cover weaknesses for the rest of the team, in particular it lowers the number of pokemon on the team who suffer from dark and ghost attacks. Alternatively, Ferrothorn can take this place, as it does close to the same thing, minus having rapid spin.

2. Zoroark is going to be replaced by Hydregion. While Zoroark is speedier and it's ability allows for mind games, Hydregion sports more bulk and a very nice array of resistances and immunities that cover the dark, ghost, and electric weaknesses of the team, as well as the fire weakness Fortress adds to the team. It's dragon weakness can be covered by Fortress, Ice covered by Jellicent, Volcarona, and Fortress , Fighting by Jellicent and Volcarona again plus Espeon, and bug by.... Jellicent and Volcarona, also Conkuldurr and Fortress.

Note, due to the nature of this project, Gengar and Zoroark can still be used with other teams in this project, as having a group of 22 pokemon lets me mix and match to give my team a degree of flexibility. Once I test adding Fortress and Hydregion to the team, I will post a update and edit for the team.

On a note Dragone, looking at your type analysis, I am taking it you tally up all the teams types, and add together the resistances and weaknesses to those types?

The type analysis is generated from each type pitted against each Poke on your team, then combined, similar to how you calculate a dual type, except the team has many more types than two to combine. Here's an example:

Water type effectiveness against team

Espeon: 1 water damage is normally effective on Espeon
Jellicent: 1/2 water damage is not very effective on Jellicent
Gengar: 1
Conkeldurr: 1
Zoroark: 1
Volcarona: 2x water damage is super effective on Volcarona

Total: 1 water damage is normally effective on the team as a whole

The 2x and 1/2 cancel out just leaving 1, which is what your overall weakness to water is. 1 refers to the damage multiplier of that type attack if pitted on your team as a whole. So for example 120 power times 1 is 120, so your team is not weak or strong against water types as a whole, defensively speaking. Hope this helps you figure out where the numbers come from.

That does make sense, but I am curious as to what you use as a number when a pokemon is immune to a certain type. For example, with the water example above, the Jellicent on my team has Water Absorb, so it's immune to water attacks. Based on how Normal has 1/8 listed, I am assuming that means you treat a pokemon who is 4X resitant to a type and one who is immune to the same type as the same?

Here are the conversions since you are so curious.

Attacking type is not very effective on both types of a dual type Poke= 1/4 damage
Attacking type is not very effective on the defending Poke= 1/2 damage
Attacking type is normally effective on the defending Poke= 1x
Attacking type is super effective on the defending Poke= 2x
Attacking type is super effective on both types of a dual type Poke= 4x
Attacking type cannot damage the defending Poke= 0x, but converted to 1/4 since damage is similar and so that the 0x doesn't mess up the figures.

You combine the figures for each team member as if you would treat the team as a dual type when calculating damage multipliers. So yes, you are right, immune damage is treated as 1/4 damage.

Nyx used Arcana Shift!
It's Arcana has changed

Changes have been tested and set, changes have been made to team. Consult the origenally post to see what is diffrent.

Please note I am open to accept any more advice, otherwise I will mark this team as complete and move on to the next group

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)