Pokémon Arcanine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arcanine is a somewhat diverse pokemon in OU. It has a few sets it can pull off really well, it has an amazing ability in Flash fire and fire seems to be a good type at the moment being super effective against some common pokemon.

Name:apparently anything with intimidate can pass for a wall nowadays.
EVs:252hp/252def
Careful/Impish nature
Ability: Intimidate
Item: leftovers
Move 1: Will-o-wisp
Move 2: Morning sun
Move 3: Flamethrower/Flare Blitz
Move 4: Protect/Fire spin/Roar/Snarl
Ignore the joke in the title, Arcanine is one of the few pokemon that can actually perform the role of a bulky fire type. It matches up well against physically invested Genesect, resisting its STAB moves and taking uninvested, non-STAB thunderbolts and hp grounds well
0 SpA Genesect Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arcanine: 90-107 (23.4 - 27.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Genesect Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arcanine: 122-144 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Genesect is the most common thing that defensive Arcanine can answer. Will-o-wisp is there to cripple physical attackers and support your team. Morning sun is Arcanine's only recovery outside of Rest and is nice to have on a defensive Pokemon. The low PP could be an issue though. The next slot is an attacking move. Flamethrower does decent damage and is the preferred option but Flare blitz could be used to do a lot more damage but defensive Arcanine doesn't appreciate the recoil. Protect is good for the last slot for scouting. One example where this would be useful is for scouting what move a Genesect decides to lock itself into. Another example is to scout for an opponent's Toxic. Fire spin could also be used to trap stuff and stall it out. Roar is always good for support and for set up mons. Snarl is an interesting option to make it that much bulkier on the special side as well. Protect is usually the best here but there are aa few other options.

Name:Mixed beast
EVs:252atk/252spe/4spatk
Naughty nature
Ability:Flash fire
Item:Life orb
Move 1: Flare blitz
Move 2: Extreme speed
Move 3: Overheat
Move 4: Morning sun/Close combat
This set seems very suicidal with the life orb Flare blitz and the Stealth rock weakness. It kind of is and requires Wish support to work effectively (especially if you're like me and run Close combat instead of Morning sun). Flare Blitz is the main STAB. Extreme speed is handy priority and can be helpful late game. Overheat breaks down physical walls and hits hard. It's also an amazing bluff that you're using a special set and your opponent expects you to switch out being at -2 special attack. Also, it's more powerful than you think. Close combat is for general coverage which assists a late game sweep. Morning sun is also a great option to preserve Arcanine's health if you feel you must use up a tirn doing so rather than using Wish support. Also, this set is mainly used late game so you wont need Morning sun as much as you think you will. Still a great move nonetheless. Also, Charcoal is an ok item alternative but Life orb is generally better because it provides a bigger boost and boosts Extreme speed which ensures KOs. This set is the best one in my opinion and I've been using it a lot recently.

Name: It was your choice
Item: Choice band
EVs:252atk/252spe
Adamant nature
Ability: Flash fire
Move 1: Flare blitz
Move 2: Extreme speed
Move 3: Close combat
Move 4: Wild charge
Choice band grants Arcanine insane power and works well with Extreme speed. Flare blitz is the main. The moves are self-explanatory really. They're all very powerful and provide good coverage.

A special set could be viable but just stick with mixed because Arcanine loves the utility of Extreme speed and the coverage from Close combat. Which set is your favourite or the best in your opinion?

Last edited:
Never though I'd live to see someone using an Arcanine as wall... Too be honest I had the same idea a few months ago expect I ran it like this:

Arcanine Rocky Helmet/Lefties
Bold Nature
252HP / 252Def / 6SpAtt / 0Att
-Snarl/Roar
-Will o Wisp
-Flamethrower
-Morning Sun

Pretty much the same as your set except I use Snarl to patch up his special side. 0IV in attack to avoid Foul Play users and the rest is self explanatory. Instead of Snarl you can also use Roar to prevent Pokemon setting up on him or to deal SR damage. This thing is a beast and very hard to kill. I'd do some calcs but I suppose yours are suffice. Either way I love the sets you made for the big guy, Choice Band is also one of my personal favorites :3

Never though I'd live to see someone using an Arcanine as wall... Too be honest I had the same idea a few months ago expect I ran it like this:

Arcanine Rocky Helmet/Lefties
Bold Nature
252HP / 252Def / 6SpAtt / 0Att
-Snarl/Roar
-Will o Wisp
-Flamethrower
-Morning Sun

Pretty much the same as your set except I use Snarl to patch up his special side. 0IV in attack to avoid Foul Play users and the rest is self explanatory. Instead of Snarl you can also use Roar to prevent Pokemon setting up on him or to deal SR damage. This thing is a beast and very hard to kill. I'd do some calcs but I suppose yours are suffice. Either way I love the sets you made for the big guy, Choice Band is also one of my personal favorites :3
Thanks for the Snarl and Roar suggestions, I'll add them. :)

What about scarfed Arcanine?

Arcanine @Choice Scarf
252 atk / 252 spe / 4 def
Jolly
~Flare Blitz
~Wild Charge
~Close Combat
~Extreme Speed

Good coverage,Stats,Abilities, ect. Arcanine is a pretty solid pokemon. It can catch a lot of people off guard with this set and is a great revenge killer.

Arcanine is just no in OU, honestly. What does it have offensively over Talonflame, but what does it have Defensively over Heatran? Intimidate? It also comes with subpar Speed, unreliable recovery, and a SR Weakness. Heatran doesn't have Recovery, but it can set up SR, burn something, roar them away, it can do a plethora of things. This Pokemon isn't viable in OU in my opinion, but if you are hell bent on using it in OU, I'd suggest the old offensive set of last generation, with Life Orb, FB/ES/WC/CC(too lazy to type them out lol). This at least gives it a niche due to Extreme Speed. Defensively it is outclassed in every way by Heatran, and Offensively, mostly by Talonflame. I was typing this and then I forgot, Meag Charizard X (and Y) outclass it offensively as well. Mega-X especially, what reason are you using it over Mega-X?

Arcanine is just no in OU, honestly. What does it have offensively over Talonflame, but what does it have Defensively over Heatran? Intimidate? It also comes with subpar Speed, unreliable recovery, and a SR Weakness. Heatran doesn't have Recovery, but it can set up SR, burn something, roar them away, it can do a plethora of things. This Pokemon isn't viable in OU in my opinion, but if you are hell bent on using it in OU, I'd suggest the old offensive set of last generation, with Life Orb, FB/ES/WC/CC(too lazy to type them out lol). This at least gives it a niche due to Extreme Speed. Defensively it is outclassed in every way by Heatran, and Offensively, mostly by Talonflame. I was typing this and then I forgot, Meag Charizard X (and Y) outclass it offensively as well. Mega-X especially, what reason are you using it over Mega-X?
But this is a thread to discuss arcanine even if t does get outclassed. I think we all know talonflame is the more viable choice but arcanine does have its "specialties".

But this is a thread to discuss arcanine even if t does get outclassed. I think we all know talonflame is the more viable choice but arcanine does have its "specialties".
That's why I ask, what does it have over Talonflame, Heatran, or Charizard?

Defensively, it can be used over Heatran if one does not want another ground and fighting weakness on their team. Also, it has the jntimidate ability and MORNING SUN. Arcanine can burn things and roar them away as well.

Offensively, it has Extreme speed which is extremely useful in the current metagame especially with all the Talonflame running around. It's best offensive potential lies in it's mixed set which none of the pokemon that you mentioned can pull off nearly as well.

Also, it has Flash fire to set it apart from the Charizard megas and Talonflame.

It also has a pretty good variety of sets that it can run.

I think it has a good chance competing with Rotom-H and Heatran for the bulky fire spot and a pretty good chance, with it's mixed set, competing with Charizard and Talonflame for the offensive fire type.

Thanks for making discussion though.

Defensively, it can be used over Heatran if one does not want another ground and fighting weakness on their team. Also, it has the jntimidate ability and MORNING SUN. Arcanine can burn things and roar them away as well.

Offensively, it has Extreme speed which is extremely useful in the current metagame especially with all the Talonflame running around. It's best offensive potential lies in it's mixed set which none of the pokemon that you mentioned can pull off nearly as well.

Also, it has Flash fire to set it apart from the Charizard megas and Talonflame.

It also has a pretty good variety of sets that it can run.

I think it has a good chance competing with Rotom-H and Heatran for the bulky fire spot and a pretty good chance, with it's mixed set, competing with Charizard and Talonflame for the offensive fire type.

Thanks for making discussion though.

Arcanine is weak to Ground as well, just saying, but all Pokemon have weaknesses.
252+ Atk Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 113-133 (38 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 189-223 (49.2 - 58%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
After recoil, Talonflame dies, but you also have a very low health Arcanine, and the opponent can just bring in something to wall Arcanine. Flash Fire should never be considered in my opinion, Intimidate is what gives it a small niche, Flash Fire maybe can see use on the LO sets, but it isn't the best imo. And Charizard-X can run Mixed, along with Charizard-Y, who is often carrying Earthquake or Flare Blitz nowadays. Rotom-H is ok, but still. The one thing that it has is Intimidate + Morning Sun, but Tyranitar is so common, which is why I say it is unreliable. Could you please post the mixed set that gives it a huge reason to use it?

I think it's important to point out that Entei, with its new toy Sacred Fire, completely outclasses Arcanine when it comes to Choice sets. It even gets Extremespeed as an event move. Because of that, I'd stick to physically defensive sets for Arcanine.

Arcanine is weak to Ground as well, just saying, but all Pokemon have weaknesses.
252+ Atk Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 113-133 (38 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 189-223 (49.2 - 58%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
After recoil, Talonflame dies, but you also have a very low health Arcanine, and the opponent can just bring in something to wall Arcanine. Flash Fire should never be considered in my opinion, Intimidate is what gives it a small niche, Flash Fire maybe can see use on the LO sets, but it isn't the best imo. And Charizard-X can run Mixed, along with Charizard-Y, who is often carrying Earthquake or Flare Blitz nowadays. Rotom-H is ok, but still. The one thing that it has is Intimidate + Morning Sun, but Tyranitar is so common, which is why I say it is unreliable. Could you please post the mixed set that gives it a huge reason to use it?
The mixed set is in the op.

I would like to make it clear that defensive Arcanine and offensive Arcanine shouldn't be confused with each other.
Intimidate helps it a lot on the defensive sets while Flash fire helps the offensive sets.

When I mentioned Extreme speed cleaning up stuff like Talonflame, I meant late game not fighting it 1 on 1. Also, that calc is missing a life orb.

I think the whole Tyranitar thing was aimed towards defensive variants (they could run CC for surprise).
252+ Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 61-73 (15.8 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
You can just switch and deal with it using a teammate. Also, if the Arcanine guy reeeeeeaaally felt like it....
252+ Atk burned Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 153-181 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

Offensive Arcanine runs a much better mixed set than Charizard Y in my opinion because Charizard Y just doeasn't have that good if an attack stat. It also does mixed better than Charizard X because it usually runs a set-up sweeper set which can't afford to go mixed and it doesn't get Draco meteor.

I think it's important to point out that Entei, with its new toy Sacred Fire, completely outclasses Arcanine when it comes to Choice sets. It even gets Extremespeed as an event move. Because of that, I'd stick to physically defensive sets for Arcanine.
Entei is similar to Arcanine but I wouldn't say it completely outclasses it. It does have some things over Arcanine but it doesn't have Close combat for rock types such as Tyranitar or Wild charge for bulky water types. Also, Entei's Flash fire is unreleased and I'm not sure when it will be.

Entei is still a good pokemon though.

The mixed set is in the op.

I would like to make it clear that defensive Arcanine and offensive Arcanine shouldn't be confused with each other.
Intimidate helps it a lot on the defensive sets while Flash fire helps the offensive sets.

When I mentioned Extreme speed cleaning up stuff like Talonflame, I meant late game not fighting it 1 on 1. Also, that calc is missing a life orb.

I think the whole Tyranitar thing was aimed towards defensive variants (they could run CC for surprise).
252+ Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 61-73 (15.8 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
You can just switch and deal with it using a teammate. Also, if the Arcanine guy reeeeeeaaally felt like it....
252+ Atk burned Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 153-181 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

Offensive Arcanine runs a much better mixed set than Charizard Y in my opinion because Charizard Y just doeasn't have that good if an attack stat. It also does mixed better than Charizard X because it usually runs a set-up sweeper set which can't afford to go mixed and it doesn't get Draco meteor.
I'll respect that, but Mega Charizard Y has 10 less Attack, you know that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)