Ubers Arceus-Rock

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
[OVERVIEW]
* Arceus-Rock's typing and decent bulk allow it to fulfill a unique defensive niche as a blanket check to the tier's many Flying-type Pokemon. It is perhaps the tier's best answer to Ho-Oh and Mega Salamence due to its typing and excellent Speed, and it can be a solid check to Rayquaza and Yveltal.
* STAB Judgment has solid neutral coverage, and nothing is immune to it, which gives Arceus-Rock some offensive presence.
* Access to Will-O-Wisp allows Arceus-Rock to punish physical attackers that threaten it, including Mega Lucario, Necrozma-DM, and Arceus-Ground, although the catastrophic damage they inflict forces you to use this move either on a prediction or a sacrifice.
* A good matchup against offensive Defog users, such as Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, and Yveltal, allows Arceus-Rock to serve as a solid user of Stealth Rock.
* Weaknesses to Steel-, Fighting-, Ground-, and Water-type moves allow most of the tier's most prominent attackers to threaten OHKOs, such as Necrozma-DM, Marshadow, Mega Lucario, Arceus-Ground, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre, making Arceus-Rock largely unsuccessful at providing the general-use bulk usually sought in support and Calm Mind Arceus formes.
* Arceus-Rock is also vulnerable to being trapped by Gothitelle, which renders you unable to set up Stealth Rock with it without risking sacrificing it and possibly conceding the entry hazard war to the opposing team.
* Arceus-Rock's viability is badly strained by its competition. Arceus-Ground and Arceus-Fairy do a better job of keeping Stealth Rock up, Arceus-Ground, Arceus-Fairy, and Arceus-Dark are better Calm Mind setters due to their better defensive typings, and Arceus-Water does a better job as a damage sponge, so Arceus-Rock is only viable in teams that particularly need those roles in a check to Flying-types.

[SET]
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Judgment
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Recover
move 4: Stealth Rock
item: Stone Plate
ability: Multitype
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 144 SpA / 96 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
moves
========
* Judgment is a reliable STAB move that allows Arceus-Rock to KO the Pokemon it is supposed to check, including Yveltal, Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, and Mega Salamence. It also does meaningful chip damage to switch-ins that do not resist it, most notably Primal Groudon.
* Will-O-Wisp provides Arceus-Rock with a way to punish the prominent physical attackers that would otherwise easily check it, including Necrozma-DM, Mega Lucario, Marshadow, and Arceus-Ground.
* Recover keeps Arceus-Rock healthy to switch into Flying-types and generally take hits throughout the match.
* Stealth Rock damages foes when they switch in and is a near-necessity on almost any serious team. Arceus-Rock's good matchup against offensive Defoggers such as Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, and Yveltal allows it to keep Stealth Rock up rather well against offensive teams, but it struggles to keep the hazard up in the face of bulky, status-spreading Defog users such as support Arceus formes.

Set Details
========
* Full investment in HP increases Arceus-Rock's bulk, allowing it to sponge hits and provide team support throughout the match.
* 16 Defense EVs allow Arceus-Rock to survive a boosted Earthquake from Dragon Dance Mega Salamence after Stealth Rock.
* 144 Special Attack EVs make Judgment 2HKO physically defensive Mega Sableye so it cannot prevent Stealth Rock from being set.
* The Speed investment allows Arceus-Rock to outspeed anything up to positive-natured base 100s, which notably includes non-Choice Scarf Xerneas and Yveltal, Primal Groudon, Rayquaza, and Zygarde-C, as well as uncommon attackers such as Kyurem-W and Palkia.
* An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe allows Arceus-Rock to outspeed Mega Lucario to potentially stop a sweep with Will-O-Wisp by sacrificing itself. Running at least 40 Defense EVs further allows it to take a boosted Earthquake from both Dragon Dance Rayquaza and Mega Salamence after Stealth Rock.
* Alternatively, full Speed investment allows Arceus-Rock to Speed tie with positive-natured base 120s such as Mega Salamence and offensive Arceus sets, which is useful for spreading burns.
* Multitype combines with Rock Plate to form Arceus-Rock and provide a reliable STAB move in Judgment.

Usage Tips
========
* Arceus-Rock should be liberally switched into Flying-types such as Mega Salamence, Ho-Oh, and Rayquaza and threaten them with an OHKO.
* Watch out for Ground-type coverage on Pokemon Arceus-Rock can usually handle, especially after you've revealed Arceus-Rock, as it will force a Recover and cost the momentum you would have gained.
* Unless your opponent is running a Defogger that can directly switch into Arceus-Rock, such as Arceus-Water, the first priority for Arceus-Rock should be to set Stealth Rock when given a free turn.
* Try to anticipate your opponent switching into physical attackers such as Necrozma-DM, Marshadow, Zygarde-C, Mega Lucario, and Primal Groudon. In the case of the first four, punishing them with Will-O-Wisp on the switch will allow your teammates to handle their weakened attacks relatively easily.
* If a bulky offense team is left with no other answers against a potential sweep, Arceus-Rock can be sacrificed to burn a physical attacker such as Arceus-Ground or Necrozma-DM. Outside of these scenarios, Will-O-Wisp should only ever be used on predicted switches, as Arceus-Rock is easily OHKOed by physical threats and cannot stand up to them even if burned.
* Play Arceus-Rock conservatively against other Pokemon if your opponent has healthy Flying-type threats, especially given that it is only viable in teams that are otherwise badly weak to them.
* Avoid being hit with Toxic and Glare, as they significantly limit Arceus-Rock's usefulness as a sponge and sweeper. On the other hand, being burned does not really annoy Arceus-Rock much and could even be beneficial, as it prevents Arceus-Rock from being inflicted by more annoying status, so switch into burning moves such as Sacred Fire and Will-O-Wisp if given the opportunity.

Team Options
========
* Arceus-Rock should only be run to cover a severe weakness to Flying-types, especially Ho-Oh, so Pokemon that have these weaknesses such as Necrozma-DM, Primal Groudon, Magearna, Xerneas, and Ferrothorn, among several others, appreciate its support.
* Because Arceus-Rock runs Stealth Rock, it can free up Primal Groudon and Necrozma-DM, the tier's more common setters, to run more offensive sets.
* Arceus-Rock is fairly durable for a Stealth Rock setter, so pairing it with a Defog user such as Giratina-O or Mega Salamence allows your team to try to be the only side with entry hazards up late-game. However, do not use a Defogger that is easily trapped by Gothitelle along with Arceus-Rock, as if both are kept out of the field by Gothitelle, the opponent will easily dominate the entry hazard war and set the pace of the match.
* Mega Gengar and Gothitelle make for good partners, as they can remove Defoggers and some Stealth Rock setters, allowing Arceus-Rock to dominate the entry hazard war for late-game. Both of these Pokemon also enjoy having their possible targets burned by Arceus-Rock, allowing Hex Mega Gengar to revenge kill far more easily and Gothitelle to manage even strong physical attackers such as Necrozma-DM with confidence.
* Zygarde-C and Yveltal are good partners, as they can switch into and revenge kill Fighting- and Steel-types that check Arceus-Rock.
* Primal Groudon is an excellent partner, since it can handle many of Arceus-Rock's prominent checks, such as Primal Kyogre, Blissey, Magearna, and Necrozma-DM. Primal Kyogre in particular can take advantage of Arceus-Rock, as it threatens it super effectively, takes little damage from Judgment, and threatens an OHKO with its powerful STAB Water-type attacks, making Primal Groudon a near-necessity as a partner.
* Giratina-O is another notable partner for Arceus-Rock, as it checks major threats to Arceus-Rock such as Primal Groudon and Arceus-Ground, provides Defog support that works well with Arceus-Rock, and fits well on the bulky offense teams that typically use Arceus-Rock.
* Checks to Ground-types, such as Giratina-O, Mega Salamence, and Primal Kyogre, can help Arceus-Rock manage its weakness and fit well into the bulky offense teams that Arceus-Rock typically finds itself in.
* Arceus-Rock hates being hit by Toxic, so a reliable Toxic absorber such as Ferrothorn, Magearna, Necrozma-DM, Zygarde-C, defensive Primal Kyogre, or Facade Mega Salamence can help it be more effective. Ferrothorn is a particularly good partner, as it greatly eases the matchup against Primal Kyogre.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
* Arceus-Rock's is not viable without Recover, Judgment, and Will-O-Wisp, as this allows foes to exploit its severe weaknesses, but it can replace Stealth Rock to provide different forms of utility for its team.
* Calm Mind can be used to make Arceus-Rock into a sweeper. Calm Mind Arceus-Rock struggles to set up early-game, as its many prominent answers, especially its Steel-type counters, can easily put a stop to a sweep and set up in return, so it should focus on spreading status, sponging resisted hits, and potentially bluffing a support set early-game. However, Arceus-Rock can be fairly threatening late-game once its checks are worn down, especially because it outspeeds most of them, so it provides solid role compression for bulky offense teams. It particularly makes a good partner for Choice Specs Yveltal, which severely pressures common switch-ins such as Magearna, which Arceus-Rock can proceed to break through.
* Toxic can be run as a second status move that allows Arceus-Rock to punish passive Pokemon that can wall Judgment and do not mind or even enjoy being burned, such as support Arceus formes, which otherwise have nothing to fear from Arceus-Rock. Dual status Arceus-Rock functions well as a dedicated damage sponge and support option that can meaningfully punish all of its switch-ins with good prediction, but it loses out on the ability to fill a bigger role for the team. Notably, it is an excellent partner for Hex Mega Gengar, as it can spread status to any Pokemon in the tier, making it easier for Mega Gengar to revenge kill.
* Fire Blast can be ran in place of Will-O-Wisp as a way to chip at Steel-types such as Necrozma-DM and Magearna while allowing Arceus-Rock to hit Celesteela, Skarmory, and especially Ferrothorn harder than its other options. However, other Pokemon kept in check by Will-O-Wisp, notably Zygarde-C, are left with nothing stopping them from setting up on Arceus-Rock.
* Roar can be used to phaze setup sweepers and, if not running Calm Mind, break out of Gothitelle's trapping. However, this is not that common of a matchup, so Will-O-Wisp, Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Calm Mind provide much more general utility.
* Refresh + Calm Mind can make a full mono-attacking sweeping set, but the Pokemon kept in check by Will-O-Wisp such as Marshadow, Necrozma-DM, Magearna, and Mega Lucario will shut down this set with ease and often set up for a sweep of their own.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Arceus-Rock's most effective checks are Ground-types that resist Judgment, threaten it with super effective moves, and typically have a way of managing Will-O-Wisp. Arceus-Ground can scare out Arceus-Rock fairly easily with STAB Ground-type attacks. Special sets do not mind Will-O-Wisp, and physical sets often carry Substitute to manage the threat of Will-O-Wisp. Zygarde-C can easily tank Judgment, hit Arceus-Rock with Thousand Arrows, and guard Will-O-Wisp with Substitute or Rest depending on the set. Primal Groudon is the most prominent Pokemon in the metagame and hard checks Arceus-Rock while being immune to Will-O-Wisp, although it will take notable damage from Judgment on the switch.

**Steel-types**: Necrozma-DM threatens Arceus-Rock with super effective Sunsteel Strike and can use scaring it out as an opportunity to boost for a sweep or set Stealth Rock, although it is severely impaired by Will-O-Wisp. Magearna easily walls Arceus-Rock's Judgment, is immune to Toxic, and is relatively unfazed by Will-O-Wisp, so it can confidently wall Arceus-Rock. Ferrothorn gets free turns from Arceus-Rock and can use them to set up entry hazards or hit it with super effective STAB moves. Less common Steel-types such as Arceus-Steel, Aegislash, and Mega Metagross also threaten Arceus-Rock with super effective STAB moves and can switch in without much trouble, although Mega Metagross seriously dislikes being burned.

**Fighting-types**: Marshadow easily manages Arceus-Rock by outspeeding it and threatening to OHKO with Close Combat or steal Calm Mind boosts with Spectral Thief. Mega Lucario will also OHKO with relative ease and can scare out Arceus-Rock for an opportunity to set up Swords Dance and sweep. Both of these Pokemon, however, are severely hampered by Will-O-Wisp on the switch.

**Primal Kyogre**: Primal Kyogre is a major threat to teams running Arceus-Rock, as it takes relatively little damage from Judgment, is functionally immune to Will-O-Wisp, threatens an OHKO with its devastating STAB moves, and is very difficult to switch into, so it should be played around with particular caution.

**Special Walls**: Blissey and Chansey can easily wall Arceus-Rock, absorb burns, and scare it out with Toxic.

**Gothitelle**: If Arceus-Rock is not running Calm Mind or Roar, Gothitelle can switch into any of its moves, trap it with Shadow Tag, and PP stall it to death.

**Grass-types**: Though rare, Grass-type attackers such as Shaymin-S and Arceus-Grass can OHKO or 2HKO Arceus-Rock with super effective STAB moves. Ferrothorn also easily walls Arceus-Rock and can use the free turns to set up entry hazards or chip away at it.

**Water-types**: Arceus-Water can spread Toxic to cripple Arceus-Rock and takes manageable damage from Judgment. Toxapex can also wall Arceus-Rock with relative ease and set up Toxic Spikes. Palkia can threaten Arceus-Rock with super effective moves and reliably set up on it.

**Revenge Killers**: Fast revenge killers such as Mega Gengar, Pheromosa, Deoxys-A, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Mewtwo X, and Lunala commonly carry super effective Fighting-type moves that will easily take out a weakened Arceus-Rock.

**Status Spreaders**: Being hit by Toxic will put Arceus-Rock on a timer, preventing it from keeping up Stealth Rock or setting up for a sweep. Similarly, paralysis will lower its Speed and also threaten it to be overwhelmed by the attacks it is supposed to switch into if it misses Recover turns. Because of this, Arceus-Rock is usually forced out by status spreaders such as support Arceus formes, and it even is hesitant to switch into some of its usual targets, such as Ho-Oh, if they could potentially spread status onto it.

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview is pretty good. The last point may not be needed.

"Bird Antidote" was the set name I came up with and you may use it here if you can't come up with something better. The EVs presented on the set are invalid. Edit to make them legal with a justified Speed benchmark.

The 4th bullet in moves is not needed.

Arceus-Rock's rather good matchup against offensive defoggers such as Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, Giratina-O, and Yveltal
Gira-O mention here is iffy. Neither is really a decent switch-in to the other.

Once the EV spread is fixed, set details and usage tips seem fine.

Team options looks pretty good, but I'd consider a more direct emphasis on Primal Kyogre checks. This is one of the biggest problems I have when I build with Arceus-Rock, along with strong Ground-type counterplay, and my Arceus-Rock teams almost always seem weak to Primal Kyogre short of using a Ferrothorn.

OO and C&C are good, but you may want to consider adding more specific mentions in the text, especially for the Ground and Steel types.

Fix this up and I'll stamp.

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
Overview is pretty good. The last point may not be needed.

"Bird Antidote" was the set name I came up with and you may use it here if you can't come up with something better. The EVs presented on the set are invalid. Edit to make them legal with a justified Speed benchmark.

The 4th bullet in moves is not needed.

Gira-O mention here is iffy. Neither is really a decent switch-in to the other.

Once the EV spread is fixed, set details and usage tips seem fine.

Team options looks pretty good, but I'd consider a more direct emphasis on Primal Kyogre checks. This is one of the biggest problems I have when I build with Arceus-Rock, along with strong Ground-type counterplay, and my Arceus-Rock teams almost always seem weak to Primal Kyogre short of using a Ferrothorn.

OO and C&C are good, but you may want to consider adding more specific mentions in the text, especially for the Ground and Steel types.

Fix this up and I'll stamp.
The EV thing was kinda embarassing, I guess I had 192 and 96 stuck in my head because I was thinking Arceus Speed benchmarks.

Implemented. I left "Ground-types" alone because they all handle basically the same (have a way of semi-dealing with WoW, hit hard physically and set up) but I split up Steel-types and Primal Kyogre from Water-types.

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I left "Ground-types" alone because they all handle basically the same (have a way of semi-dealing with WoW, hit hard physically and set up) but I split up Steel-types and Primal Kyogre from Water-types.
My point wasn't to break up the section into individual mentions, it was to explicitly mention (inside the section) the Ground- / Steel-types in question that check this Pokemon.

Also add Fire Blast as a bullet under moves. This allows you to blow past some Steels, and can be used to chip down Necrozma-DM.

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
My point wasn't to break up the section into individual mentions, it was to explicitly mention (inside the section) the Ground- / Steel-types in question that check this Pokemon.

Also add Fire Blast as a bullet under moves. This allows you to blow past some Steels, and can be used to chip down Necrozma-DM.
Implemented. Not to be an idiot here but what Ground-type am I missing?

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Please name the set "Stealth Rock" and unslash CM and move it to the first bullet in OO. Make the EV spread 252+ Speed. You may mention other speed / bulk benchmarks in set details. Edit the analysis to reflect this set change and stress the niche as a SR setter that can function well alongside Mega Gengar / Gothitelle.

Once you've implemented this,

QC: 1/3

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
Implemented, thanks for the check and shoutouts to Serial EKiller for the great spreads I'm listing in set details. Was still some discussion in Discord but I think this is ready for further QC.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
* Avoid being hit with Toxic or Glare when using Arceus-Rock, as these significantly limit its usefulness as a sponge and sweeper. On the other hand, being burned does not really annoy Arceus-Rock much, and could even be described as beneficial as it prevents more annoying status, so switch into Will-O-Wisp if given the opportunity.
I would probably just generalise the last part of this statement to switching into moves that cause burns. - there are times when Ho-Oh wants to absolutely Sacred Fire so Arceus rock can try to take advantage of this, which is much more notable than the Will-o-Wisp mention.

Team options
Give Giratina-O a separate mention in team options, explain what support it provides for Arceus-Rock.

Checks and Counters
Mention Gothitelle in Checks and Counters, explain how it deals with the analysis set.

QC: 2/3

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
I would probably just generalise the last part of this statement to switching into moves that cause burns. - there are times when Ho-Oh wants to absolutely Sacred Fire so Arceus rock can try to take advantage of this, which is much more notable than the Will-o-Wisp mention.

Team options
Give Giratina-O a separate mention in team options, explain what support it provides for Arceus-Rock.

Checks and Counters
Mention Gothitelle in Checks and Counters, explain how it deals with the analysis set.

QC: 2/3
Implemented, ty for the check!

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There needs to be a mention of Gothitelle in the overview for obvious reasons!

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 144 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

This should be the main spread. You need 144 SpA to 2HKO Mega Sableye letting you setup Stealth Rock on most Defog users and Magic Bounce Pokemon. Without this, Rockceus has pretty much no niche so it's important that you have this set as the main one.

If you predict a Primal Groudon switch, using Judgment will do fairly serious chip damage.
Somewhat reduntant in that bullet point since the only reason a pdon is switching into you is when it's expecting SR. Judgment does a lot.

Add a point about scouting for Ground-type coverage in usage tips.

Rest is fine. QC 3/3

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
There needs to be a mention of Gothitelle in the overview for obvious reasons!

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

This should be the main spread. You need 144 SpA to 2HKO Mega Sableye letting you setup Stealth Rock on most Defog users and Magic Bounce Pokemon. Without this, Rockceus has pretty much no niche so it's important that you have this set as the main one.

Somewhat reduntant in that bullet point since the only reason a pdon is switching into you is when it's expecting SR. Judgment does a lot.

Add a point about scouting for Ground-type coverage in usage tips.

Rest is fine. QC 3/3
Implemented, ty for the check!
This also lets me reserve again, which is promising. Maybe I should go all out on the bad Arceus forme thing and take Psychic or something...

Reactions: ckw

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]
* Arceus-Rock's typing and decent bulk allow it to fulfill a unique defensive niche as a blanket check to the tier's many Flying-type Pokemon. It is perhaps the tier's best answer to Ho-Oh and Mega Salamence due to its typing and excellent Speed, and it can be a solid check to Rayquaza and Yveltal.
* Rock-type STAB Judgment has solid neutral coverage,(AC) and nothing is immune to it, which gives Arceus-Rock some offensive presence.
* Access to Will-O-Wisp allows it Arceus-Rock to punish switch-ins from physical attackers that super-effectively threaten it, notably including Mega Lucario, Necrozma-DM, and Arceus-Ground, although the catastrophic damage these they inflict forces this move to be used as when either prediction or sacrifice predicting or sacrificing.
* A good matchup against offensive Defog users, such as Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence,(AC) and Yveltal, allows Arceus-Rock to serve as a solid user of Stealth Rock.
* Weaknesses to Steel-, Fighting-, Ground-, and Water-type moves allows allow most of the tier's most prominent attackers to threaten OHKOs, such as Necrozma-DM, Marshadow, Mega Lucario, Arceus-Ground, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre, making Arceus-Rock largely fail to provide the general-use bulk usually sought in support and Calm Mind Arceus formes.
* Arceus-Rock is also vulnerable to being trapped by Gothitelle, which renders it unable to set up Stealth Rock without risking a sacrifice,(RC) sacrificing it and therefore conceding concedes the entry hazard war against to the opposing team built around it.
* Arceus-Rock's viability is badly strained by its competition. Arceus-Ground and Arceus-(AH)Fairy do a better job of keeping Stealth Rock up, Arceus-Ground, Arceus-Fairy, and Arceus-Dark are better Calm Mind setters due to their better defensive typings, and Arceus-Water does a better job as a damage sponge, so it Arceus-Rock is only viable in on teams that particularly need those roles in a check to Flying-types.

[SET]
Move 1: Judgment
Move 2: Will-O-Wisp
Move 3: Recover
Move 4: Stealth Rock
Item: Stone Plate
Nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
moves
========
* Judgment is a reliable Rock-type STAB which move that allows Arceus-Rock to KO the Pokemon it is supposed to check, including Yveltal, Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, and Mega Salamence. It also does meaningful chip damage to switch-ins that do not resist it, most notably including Primal Groudon.
* Will-O-Wisp provides Arceus-Rock with a way to punish the very prominent physical attackers that would otherwise easily check it, including Necrozma-DM, Mega Lucario, Marshadow, and Arceus-Ground.
* Recover is the mandatory healing move, keeping keeps Arceus-Rock healthy to switch into Flying-types and generally take hits throughout the match.
* Stealth Rock inflicts damage on opponents damages foes when they switch in and is a near-(AH)necessity on almost any serious team. Arceus-Rock's good matchup against offensive Defoggers such as Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, and Yveltal allows it to keep Rocks Stealth Rock up rather well against offensive teams, but it struggles to keep Rocks the hazard up in the face of bulky, status-spreading Defog users such as support Arceus formes.

Set Details
========
* Full investment in HP increases Arceus-Rock's bulk, allowing it to sponge hits and provide team support throughout the match.
* 16 Defense EVs allow Arceus-Rock to survive a boosted Earthquake from Dragon Dance Mega Salamence after Stealth Rock.
* 144 Special Attack EVs make Judgment 2HKO physically defensive Mega Sableye,(RC) so it cannot prevent Stealth Rock from being set.
* The remaining Speed investment still allows Arceus-Rock to outspeed anything up to outspeed positive-natured base 100's 100s, which notably includes non-Scarfed non-Choice Scarf Xerneas and Yveltal, Primal Groudon, Rayquaza, and Zygarde-C, as well as uncommon attackers such as Kyurem-W and Palkia.
* An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe allows Arceus-Rock to outspeed Mega Lucario,(RC) allowing it to potentially stop a sweep with Will-O-Wisp by sacrificing itself. Running at least 40 Defense EVs further allows it Arceus-Rock to take a boosted Earthquake from both Dragon Dance Rayquaza and Mega Salamence after Stealth Rock.
* Alternatively, full Speed investment allows Arceus-Rock to Speed-(RH)tie with positive-natured base 120's 120s such as Mega Salamence and offensive Arceus sets, which is useful for spreading burns.
* Multitype is Arceus's mandatory ability, and combines with Rock Plate to form Arceus-Rock and provide it a reliable STAB move in Judgment.

Usage Tips
========
* Arceus-Rock should be liberally switched into Flying-types such as Mega Salamence, Ho-Oh, and Rayquaza,(RC) and threaten them with an OHKO.
* Watch out for Ground-type coverage on Pokemon Arceus-Rock can usually handle, especially after you've revealed your Arceus-(AH)Rock forme, as it will force a Recover and cost the momentum you would have gained.
* Unless your opponent is running a Defogger that can directly switch into Arceus-Rock, such as Arceus-Water, the first priority for Arceus-Rock should be to set Stealth Rock when given a free turn.
* Try to anticipate switch-ins from your opponent switching into physical attackers such as Dusk-Mane Necrozma-(AH)DM, Marshadow, Zygarde-C, Mega Lucario, and Primal Groudon. In the case of the first four, punishing a switch them with Will-O-Wisp on the switch will allow your teammates to handle their weakened attacks relatively easily.
* If a bulky offense team is left with no other answers against a potential sweep, Arceus-Rock can be sacrificed to burn a physical attacker such as Arceus-Ground or Necrozma-DM. Outside of these scenarios, Will-O-Wisp should only ever be used on predicted switches, as Arceus-Rock is easily OHKOed by its physical checks,(RC) threats and cannot stand up to them even if burned.
* Play Arceus-Rock conservatively if your opponent has healthy Flying-type threats, especially given that it is only viable in on teams that are otherwise badly weak to them. (the first part of the usage tips says that Arceus-Rock should be liberally switched into Flying-types, so this is sending mixed signals)
* Avoid being hit with Toxic or and Glare when using Arceus-Rock, as these they significantly limit its Arceus-Rock's usefulness as a sponge and sweeper. On the other hand, being burned does not really annoy Arceus-Rock much,(RC) and could even be described as beneficial,(AC) as it prevents Arceus-Rock from being afflicted with more annoying status, so switch into burning moves such as Sacred Fire and Will-O-Wisp if given the opportunity.

Team Options
========
* Arceus-Rock should only be run ran to cover a severe weakness to Flying-types, especially Ho-Oh, so Pokemon that have these weaknesses such as Necrozma-DM, Primal Groudon, Magearna, Xerneas, and Ferrothorn, among several others, appreciate its support.
* Arceus-Rock's Because Arceus-Rock runs Stealth Rock,(AC) it set can be used to free up Primal Groudon and Necrozma-DM, the tier's more common setters, to run more offensive sets.
* Arceus-Rock is fairly durable for a Stealth Rock setter, so pairing it with a Defog user such as Giratina-O or Mega Salamence allows a your team to try to be the only side with entry hazards up in late-game. However, do not use a Defogger that is trappable easily trapped by Gothitelle along with Stealth Rock Arceus-Rock, as if both are kept out of the field by Gothitelle,(AC) the opponent will easily dominate the entry hazards hazard war and set the pace of the match.
* Mega Gengar and Gothitelle make for good partners for bulky hazard setters such as Arceus-Rock, as they can remove Defoggers and some Stealth Rock setters, allowing the user of Arceus-Rock to dominate in hazards for late-game. Both of these Pokemon also enjoy having their possible targets burned by Arceus-Rock, allowing Hex Mega Gengar to revenge kill far more easily and Gothitelle to manage even strong physical attackers such as Necrozma-DM with confidence.
* Zygarde-C and Yveltal are good partners,(AC) as they can respectively switch into and revenge-(RH)kill Fighting- and Steel-types that check Arceus-Rock,(AC) respectively.
* Primal Groudon is an excellent partner,(AC) since as (repetition) it can handle many of Arceus-Rock's prominent checks, such as Primal Kyogre, Blissey, Magearna, and Necrozma-DM. Primal Kyogre in particular can take advantage of Arceus-Rock, as it threatens it super effectively, takes little damage from Judgment, and threatens an OHKO with its powerful STAB Water-type attacks, making Primal Groudon a near-necessity as a partner. (I would move this bullet a bit higher then)
* Giratina-O is another notable partner for Arceus-Rock, as it checks major threats to Arceus-Rock such as Primal Groudon and Arceus-Ground, provides Defog support which that works well with durable Stealth Rock users such as Arceus-Rock, and fits well in on the bulky offense teams that typically consider use Arceus-Rock as a teammate.
* Checks to Ground-types, such as Giratina-O, Mega Salamence, and Primal Kyogre, can help Arceus-Rock manage its weakness,(RC) and fit well into the bulky offenses offense teams that Arceus-Rock typically finds itself in.
* Arceus-Rock hates being hit by Toxic, so a reliable Toxic absorber such as Ferrothorn, Magearna, Necrozma-DM, Zygarde-C, defensive Primal Kyogre, or Facade Mega Salamence can help it be more effective. Ferrothorn is a particularly good partner,(AC) as it greatly eases the matchup against Primal Kyogre.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
* Arceus-Rock's Arceus-Rock is not viable without Recover, Judgment,(AC) and or Will-O-Wisp, as it this allows foes to exploit its severe weaknesses, but it can replace Stealth Rock to provide different forms of utility for its team.
* Calm Mind can be used to make Arceus-Rock into a sweeper. Calm Mind Arceus-Rock struggles to set up early-game, as its many prominent answers, especially its Steel-type counters, can easily put a stop to a sweep and set up in return, so it should focus on spreading status, sponging resisted hits, and potentially bluffing a support set early-game. However, Arceus-Rock can be fairly threatening late-game once its checks are worn down, especially as because it outspeeds most of them, so it provides solid role-(RH)compression for bulky offense teams. It particularly makes a good partner for Choice Specs Yveltal, which severely pressures common switch-ins such as Magearna, which Arceus-Rock can proceed to break through.
* Toxic can be run ran as a second status move that allows it Arceus-Rock to punish passive Pokemon that can wall Judgment and do not mind or even enjoy being burned, such as support Arceus formes, which otherwise have nothing to fear from Arceus-Rock. Dual status Arceus-Rock functions well as a dedicated damage sponge and support option that can actually meaningfully punish all of its switch-ins with good prediction, but it loses out on the ability to fill a bigger role for the team. Notably, it is an excellent partner for Hex Mega Gengar, as it can spread status to any Pokemon in the tier, making it easier for Mega Gengar to revenge-(RH)kill.
* Fire Blast can be run ran in place of Will-O-Wisp as a way to chip at Steel-types such as Necrozma-DM and Magearna,(RC) while allowing Arceus-Rock to hit Celesteela, Skarmory, and especially Ferrothorn harder than its other options. However, other Pokemon kept in check by Will-O-Wisp, notably Zygarde-C, are left with nothing stopping them from setting up on Arceus-Rock.
* Roar can be run on Arceus-Rock used to phase out setup sweepers and,(AC) if not running Calm Mind,(AC) (if not running Calm Mind) break out of Gothitelle's trapping. However, this is not that common of a matchup, so Will-O-Wisp, Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Calm Mind provide much more general utility.
* Refresh could be run along with + Calm Mind to can make a full mono-attacking sweeping set, but the Pokemon kept in check by Will-O-Wisp such as Marshadow, Necrozma-DM, Magearna,(AC) and Mega Lucario will shut down this set with ease and often set up for a sweep of their own.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Arceus-Rock's most effective checks are Ground-types that resist its Judgment,(AC) and threaten it with super effective moves, while and typically having have a way of managing Will-O-Wisp. Arceus-Ground can scare out Arceus-Rock fairly easily with STAB Ground-type attacks. Special sets do not mind Will-O-Wisp, while and physical sets often carry Substitute to manage the threat of Will-O-Wisp. Zygarde-C can easily tank Judgment,(AC) and hit Arceus-Rock with Thousand Arrows, and can guard from Will-O-Wisp with Substitute or Rest depending on the set. Primal Groudon is the most prominent Pokemon in the metagame and hard checks Arceus-Rock while being immune to Will-O-Wisp, although it will take notable damage from Judgment on the switch.

**Steel-types**: Necrozma-DM threatens Arceus-Rock with a super-(RH)effective Sunsteel Strike and can use scaring it out as an opportunity to boost for a sweep or set Stealth Rock, although it is severely impaired by Will-O-Wisp. Magearna easily walls Arceus-Rock's Judgment, is immune to Toxic,(AC) and is relatively unphased unfazed by Will-O-Wisp, so it can confidently wall and Arceus-Rock. Ferrothorn gets free turns from Arceus-Rock and can use them to set up entry hazards or hit it with super effective STAB moves. Less-(RH)common Steel-types such as Arceus-Steel, Aegislash, and Mega Metagross also threaten Arceus-Rock with super effective STAB moves and can switch in without much trouble, although Mega Metagross does seriously dislikes being burned.

**Fighting-types**: Marshadow easily manages Arceus-Rock by outspeeding it and threatening to OHKO with Close Combat or steal Calm Mind boosts with Spectral Thief. Mega Lucario will also OHKO with relative ease,(RC) and can scare out Arceus-Rock for an opportunity to set up Swords Dance and sweep. Both of these Pokemon, however, are severely hampered by Will-O-Wisp on the switch.

**Primal Kyogre**: Primal Kyogre is a major threat to teams running Arceus-Rock, as it takes relatively little damage from Judgment, is functionally immune to Will-O-Wisp, threatens an OHKO with its devastating STAB moves, and is very difficult to switch into, so it should be played around with particular caution.

**Special Walls**: Blissey and Chansey can easily wall Arceus-Rock, absorb burns, and scare it out with Toxic.

**Gothitelle**: If Arceus-Rock is not running Calm Mind or Roar, Gothitelle can switch into any of its moves, trap it with Shadow Tag,(AC) and PP stall it to death.

**Grass-types**: Though rare, Grass-type attackers such as Shaymin-S and Arceus-Grass can OHKO or 2HKO Arceus-Rock with super effective STAB moves. Ferrothorn also easily walls Arceus-Rock and can use the free turns to set up entry hazards or chip away at it.

**Water-types**: Arceus-Water can spread Toxic to cripple Arceus-Rock as a Calm Mind user and takes manageable damage from Judgment. Toxapex can also wall Arceus-Rock with relative ease and set up Toxic Spikes. Palkia can threaten Arceus-Rock with super effective moves and reliably set up on it.

**Revenge-(RH)Killers**: Fast revenge killers such as Mega Gengar, Pheromosa, Deoxys-A, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Mewtwo X, and Lunala commonly carry super effective Fighting-type moves that will easily take out a weakened Arceus-Rock.

**Status Spreaders**: Being hit by Toxic will put Arceus-Rock on a timer, preventing it from keeping up Stealth Rocks Rock or setting up for a sweep. Similarly, paralysis will take away lower its Speed and also threaten to see it to be overwhelmed by the attacks it is supposed to switch into if it misses Recover turns. Because of this, Arceus-Rock is usually forced out by status spreaders such as support Arceus formes, and it even hesitates is hesitant to switch into some of its usual targets, such as Ho-Oh, if they could potentially spread status onto it.
GP 1/2

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]
* Rock-type STAB Judgment has solid neutral coverage,(AC) and nothing is immune to it, which gives Arceus-Rock some offensive presence.
* Access to Will-O-Wisp allows it Arceus-Rock to punish switch-ins from physical attackers that super-effectively threaten it, notably including Mega Lucario, Necrozma-DM, and Arceus-Ground, although the catastrophic damage these they inflict forces this move to be used as when either prediction or sacrifice predicting or sacrificing.
* A good matchup against offensive Defog users, such as Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence,(AC) and Yveltal, allows Arceus-Rock to serve as a solid user of Stealth Rock.
* Weaknesses to Steel-, Fighting-, Ground-, and Water-type moves allows allow most of the tier's most prominent attackers to threaten OHKOs, such as Necrozma-DM, Marshadow, Mega Lucario, Arceus-Ground, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre, making Arceus-Rock largely fail to provide the general-use bulk usually sought in support and Calm Mind Arceus formes.
* Arceus-Rock is also vulnerable to being trapped by Gothitelle, which renders it unable to set up Stealth Rock without risking a sacrifice,(RC) sacrificing it and therefore conceding concedes the entry hazard war against to the opposing team built around it.
* Arceus-Rock's viability is badly strained by its competition. Arceus-Ground and Arceus-(AH)Fairy do a better job of keeping Stealth Rock up, Arceus-Ground, Arceus-Fairy, and Arceus-Dark are better Calm Mind setters due to their better defensive typings, and Arceus-Water does a better job as a damage sponge, so it Arceus-Rock is only viable in on teams that particularly need those roles in a check to Flying-types.

[SET]
Move 1: Judgment
Move 2: Will-O-Wisp
Move 3: Recover
Move 4: Stealth Rock
Item: Stone Plate
Nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
moves
========
* Judgment is a reliable Rock-type STAB which move that allows Arceus-Rock to KO the Pokemon it is supposed to check, including Yveltal, Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, and Mega Salamence. It also does meaningful chip damage to switch-ins that do not resist it, most notably including Primal Groudon.
* Will-O-Wisp provides Arceus-Rock with a way to punish the very prominent physical attackers that would otherwise easily check it, including Necrozma-DM, Mega Lucario, Marshadow, and Arceus-Ground.
* Recover is the mandatory healing move, keeping keeps Arceus-Rock healthy to switch into Flying-types and generally take hits throughout the match.
* Stealth Rock inflicts damage on opponents damages foes when they switch in and is a near-(AH)necessity on almost any serious team. Arceus-Rock's good matchup against offensive Defoggers such as Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, and Yveltal allows it to keep Rocks Stealth Rock up rather well against offensive teams, but it struggles to keep Rocks the hazard up in the face of bulky, status-spreading Defog users such as support Arceus formes.

Set Details
========
* 144 Special Attack EVs make Judgment 2HKO physically defensive Mega Sableye,(RC) so it cannot prevent Stealth Rock from being set.
* The remaining Speed investment still allows Arceus-Rock to outspeed anything up to outspeed positive-natured base 100's 100s, which notably includes non-Scarfed non-Choice Scarf Xerneas and Yveltal, Primal Groudon, Rayquaza, and Zygarde-C, as well as uncommon attackers such as Kyurem-W and Palkia.
* An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe allows Arceus-Rock to outspeed Mega Lucario,(RC) allowing it to potentially stop a sweep with Will-O-Wisp by sacrificing itself. Running at least 40 Defense EVs further allows it Arceus-Rock to take a boosted Earthquake from both Dragon Dance Rayquaza and Mega Salamence after Stealth Rock.
* Alternatively, full Speed investment allows Arceus-Rock to Speed-(RH)tie with positive-natured base 120's 120s such as Mega Salamence and offensive Arceus sets, which is useful for spreading burns.
* Multitype is Arceus's mandatory ability, and combines with Rock Plate to form Arceus-Rock and provide it a reliable STAB move in Judgment.

Usage Tips
========
* Arceus-Rock should be liberally switched into Flying-types such as Mega Salamence, Ho-Oh, and Rayquaza,(RC) and threaten them with an OHKO.
* Watch out for Ground-type coverage on Pokemon Arceus-Rock can usually handle, especially after you've revealed your Arceus-(AH)Rock forme, as it will force a Recover and cost the momentum you would have gained.
* Try to anticipate switch-ins from your opponent switching into physical attackers such as Dusk-Mane Necrozma-(AH)DM, Marshadow, Zygarde-C, Mega Lucario, and Primal Groudon. In the case of the first four, punishing a switch them with Will-O-Wisp on the switch will allow your teammates to handle their weakened attacks relatively easily.
* If a bulky offense team is left with no other answers against a potential sweep, Arceus-Rock can be sacrificed to burn a physical attacker such as Arceus-Ground or Necrozma-DM. Outside of these scenarios, Will-O-Wisp should only ever be used on predicted switches, as Arceus-Rock is easily OHKOed by its physical checks,(RC) threats and cannot stand up to them even if burned.
* Play Arceus-Rock conservatively if your opponent has healthy Flying-type threats, especially given that it is only viable in on teams that are otherwise badly weak to them. (the first part of the usage tips says that Arceus-Rock should be liberally switched into Flying-types, so this is sending mixed signals)
* Avoid being hit with Toxic or and Glare when using Arceus-Rock, as these they significantly limit its Arceus-Rock's usefulness as a sponge and sweeper. On the other hand, being burned does not really annoy Arceus-Rock much,(RC) and could even be described as beneficial,(AC) as it prevents Arceus-Rock from being afflicted with more annoying status, so switch into burning moves such as Sacred Fire and Will-O-Wisp if given the opportunity.

Team Options
========
* Arceus-Rock should only be run ran to cover a severe weakness to Flying-types, especially Ho-Oh, so Pokemon that have these weaknesses such as Necrozma-DM, Primal Groudon, Magearna, Xerneas, and Ferrothorn, among several others, appreciate its support.
* Arceus-Rock's Because Arceus-Rock runs Stealth Rock,(AC) it set can be used to free up Primal Groudon and Necrozma-DM, the tier's more common setters, to run more offensive sets.
* Arceus-Rock is fairly durable for a Stealth Rock setter, so pairing it with a Defog user such as Giratina-O or Mega Salamence allows a your team to try to be the only side with entry hazards up in late-game. However, do not use a Defogger that is trappable easily trapped by Gothitelle along with Stealth Rock Arceus-Rock, as if both are kept out of the field by Gothitelle,(AC) the opponent will easily dominate the entry hazards hazard war and set the pace of the match.
* Mega Gengar and Gothitelle make for good partners for bulky hazard setters such as Arceus-Rock, as they can remove Defoggers and some Stealth Rock setters, allowing the user of Arceus-Rock to dominate in hazards for late-game. Both of these Pokemon also enjoy having their possible targets burned by Arceus-Rock, allowing Hex Mega Gengar to revenge kill far more easily and Gothitelle to manage even strong physical attackers such as Necrozma-DM with confidence.
* Zygarde-C and Yveltal are good partners,(AC) as they can respectively switch into and revenge-(RH)kill Fighting- and Steel-types that check Arceus-Rock,(AC) respectively.
* Primal Groudon is an excellent partner,(AC) since as (repetition) it can handle many of Arceus-Rock's prominent checks, such as Primal Kyogre, Blissey, Magearna, and Necrozma-DM. Primal Kyogre in particular can take advantage of Arceus-Rock, as it threatens it super effectively, takes little damage from Judgment, and threatens an OHKO with its powerful STAB Water-type attacks, making Primal Groudon a near-necessity as a partner. (I would move this bullet a bit higher then)
* Giratina-O is another notable partner for Arceus-Rock, as it checks major threats to Arceus-Rock such as Primal Groudon and Arceus-Ground, provides Defog support which that works well with durable Stealth Rock users such as Arceus-Rock, and fits well in on the bulky offense teams that typically consider use Arceus-Rock as a teammate.
* Checks to Ground-types, such as Giratina-O, Mega Salamence, and Primal Kyogre, can help Arceus-Rock manage its weakness,(RC) and fit well into the bulky offenses offense teams that Arceus-Rock typically finds itself in.
* Arceus-Rock hates being hit by Toxic, so a reliable Toxic absorber such as Ferrothorn, Magearna, Necrozma-DM, Zygarde-C, defensive Primal Kyogre, or Facade Mega Salamence can help it be more effective. Ferrothorn is a particularly good partner,(AC) as it greatly eases the matchup against Primal Kyogre.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
* Arceus-Rock's Arceus-Rock is not viable without Recover, Judgment,(AC) and or Will-O-Wisp, as it this allows foes to exploit its severe weaknesses, but it can replace Stealth Rock to provide different forms of utility for its team.
* Calm Mind can be used to make Arceus-Rock into a sweeper. Calm Mind Arceus-Rock struggles to set up early-game, as its many prominent answers, especially its Steel-type counters, can easily put a stop to a sweep and set up in return, so it should focus on spreading status, sponging resisted hits, and potentially bluffing a support set early-game. However, Arceus-Rock can be fairly threatening late-game once its checks are worn down, especially as because it outspeeds most of them, so it provides solid role-(RH)compression for bulky offense teams. It particularly makes a good partner for Choice Specs Yveltal, which severely pressures common switch-ins such as Magearna, which Arceus-Rock can proceed to break through.
* Toxic can be run ran as a second status move that allows it Arceus-Rock to punish passive Pokemon that can wall Judgment and do not mind or even enjoy being burned, such as support Arceus formes, which otherwise have nothing to fear from Arceus-Rock. Dual status Arceus-Rock functions well as a dedicated damage sponge and support option that can actually meaningfully punish all of its switch-ins with good prediction, but it loses out on the ability to fill a bigger role for the team. Notably, it is an excellent partner for Hex Mega Gengar, as it can spread status to any Pokemon in the tier, making it easier for Mega Gengar to revenge-(RH)kill.
* Fire Blast can be run ran in place of Will-O-Wisp as a way to chip at Steel-types such as Necrozma-DM and Magearna,(RC) while allowing Arceus-Rock to hit Celesteela, Skarmory, and especially Ferrothorn harder than its other options. However, other Pokemon kept in check by Will-O-Wisp, notably Zygarde-C, are left with nothing stopping them from setting up on Arceus-Rock.
* Roar can be run on Arceus-Rock used to phase out setup sweepers and,(AC) if not running Calm Mind,(AC) (if not running Calm Mind) break out of Gothitelle's trapping. However, this is not that common of a matchup, so Will-O-Wisp, Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Calm Mind provide much more general utility.
* Refresh could be run along with + Calm Mind to can make a full mono-attacking sweeping set, but the Pokemon kept in check by Will-O-Wisp such as Marshadow, Necrozma-DM, Magearna,(AC) and Mega Lucario will shut down this set with ease and often set up for a sweep of their own.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Arceus-Rock's most effective checks are Ground-types that resist its Judgment,(AC) and threaten it with super effective moves, while and typically having have a way of managing Will-O-Wisp. Arceus-Ground can scare out Arceus-Rock fairly easily with STAB Ground-type attacks. Special sets do not mind Will-O-Wisp, while and physical sets often carry Substitute to manage the threat of Will-O-Wisp. Zygarde-C can easily tank Judgment,(AC) and hit Arceus-Rock with Thousand Arrows, and can guard from Will-O-Wisp with Substitute or Rest depending on the set. Primal Groudon is the most prominent Pokemon in the metagame and hard checks Arceus-Rock while being immune to Will-O-Wisp, although it will take notable damage from Judgment on the switch.

**Steel-types**: Necrozma-DM threatens Arceus-Rock with a super-(RH)effective Sunsteel Strike and can use scaring it out as an opportunity to boost for a sweep or set Stealth Rock, although it is severely impaired by Will-O-Wisp. Magearna easily walls Arceus-Rock's Judgment, is immune to Toxic,(AC) and is relatively unphased unfazed by Will-O-Wisp, so it can confidently wall and Arceus-Rock. Ferrothorn gets free turns from Arceus-Rock and can use them to set up entry hazards or hit it with super effective STAB moves. Less-(RH)common Steel-types such as Arceus-Steel, Aegislash, and Mega Metagross also threaten Arceus-Rock with super effective STAB moves and can switch in without much trouble, although Mega Metagross does seriously dislikes being burned.

**Fighting-types**: Marshadow easily manages Arceus-Rock by outspeeding it and threatening to OHKO with Close Combat or steal Calm Mind boosts with Spectral Thief. Mega Lucario will also OHKO with relative ease,(RC) and can scare out Arceus-Rock for an opportunity to set up Swords Dance and sweep. Both of these Pokemon, however, are severely hampered by Will-O-Wisp on the switch.

**Gothitelle**: If Arceus-Rock is not running Calm Mind or Roar, Gothitelle can switch into any of its moves, trap it with Shadow Tag,(AC) and PP stall it to death.

**Water-types**: Arceus-Water can spread Toxic to cripple Arceus-Rock as a Calm Mind user and takes manageable damage from Judgment. Toxapex can also wall Arceus-Rock with relative ease and set up Toxic Spikes. Palkia can threaten Arceus-Rock with super effective moves and reliably set up on it.

**Revenge-(RH)Killers**: Fast revenge killers such as Mega Gengar, Pheromosa, Deoxys-A, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Mewtwo X, and Lunala commonly carry super effective Fighting-type moves that will easily take out a weakened Arceus-Rock.

**Status Spreaders**: Being hit by Toxic will put Arceus-Rock on a timer, preventing it from keeping up Stealth Rocks Rock or setting up for a sweep. Similarly, paralysis will take away lower its Speed and also threaten to see it to be overwhelmed by the attacks it is supposed to switch into if it misses Recover turns. Because of this, Arceus-Rock is usually forced out by status spreaders such as support Arceus formes, and it even hesitates is hesitant to switch into some of its usual targets, such as Ho-Oh, if they could potentially spread status onto it.
GP 1/2
Implemented, thanks for the check!

Small clarification that I wrote "functionally immune" for Pogre bc it is technically possible to take away the rain with Pdon (or MRay/Golduck) to make it vulnerable to Will-O-Wisp, even if it would basically never happen.

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I didn't see this but change the titles in the set to all lowercase (like "move 1", ability, etc.)

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]
* STAB Judgment has solid neutral coverage, and nothing is immune to it, which gives Arceus-Rock some offensive presence.
* Access to Will-O-Wisp allows Arceus-Rock to punish physical attackers that threaten it, including Mega Lucario, Necrozma-DM, and Arceus-Ground, although the catastrophic damage they inflict forces you to use this move to be used when either predicting or sacrificing on a prediction or on a sacrifice.
* A good matchup against offensive Defog users, such as Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, and Yveltal, allows Arceus-Rock to serve as a solid user of Stealth Rock.
* Weaknesses to Steel-, Fighting-, Ground-, and Water-type moves allow most of the tier's most prominent attackers to threaten OHKOs, such as Necrozma-DM, Marshadow, Mega Lucario, Arceus-Ground, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre, making Arceus-Rock largely fail to provide unsuccessful at providing the general-use bulk usually sought in support and Calm Mind Arceus formes.
* Arceus-Rock is also vulnerable to being trapped by Gothitelle, which renders it you unable to set up Stealth Rock with it without risking sacrificing it and possibly conceding the entry hazard war to the opposing team.
* Arceus-Rock's viability is badly strained by its competition. Arceus-Ground and Arceus-Fairy do a better job of keeping Stealth Rock up, Arceus-Ground, Arceus-Fairy, and Arceus-Dark are better Calm Mind setters due to their better defensive typings, and Arceus-Water does a better job as a damage sponge, so Arceus-Rock is only viable in teams that particularly need those roles in a check to Flying-types.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
moves
========
* Judgment is a reliable STAB move that allows Arceus-Rock to KO the Pokemon it is supposed to check, including Yveltal, Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, and Mega Salamence. It also does meaningful chip damage to switch-ins that do not resist it, most notably Primal Groudon.
* Will-O-Wisp provides Arceus-Rock with a way to punish the prominent physical attackers that would otherwise easily check it, including Necrozma-DM, Mega Lucario, Marshadow, and Arceus-Ground.
* Recover keeps Arceus-Rock healthy to switch into Flying-types and generally take hits throughout the match.
* Stealth Rock damages foes when they switch in and is a near-necessity on almost any serious team. Arceus-Rock's good matchup against offensive Defoggers such as Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, and Yveltal allows it to keep Stealth Rock up rather well against offensive teams, but it struggles to keep the hazard up in the face of bulky, status-spreading Defog users such as support Arceus formes.

Set Details
========
* 144 Special Attack EVs make Judgment 2HKO physically defensive Mega Sableye so it cannot prevent Stealth Rock from being set.
* The Speed investment allows Arceus-Rock to outspeed anything up to positive-natured base 100s, which notably includes non-Choice Scarf Xerneas and Yveltal, Primal Groudon, Rayquaza, and Zygarde-C, as well as uncommon attackers such as Kyurem-W and Palkia.
* An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe allows Arceus-Rock to outspeed Mega Lucario to potentially stop a sweep with Will-O-Wisp by sacrificing itself. Running at least 40 Defense EVs further allows it to take a boosted Earthquake from both Dragon Dance Rayquaza and Mega Salamence after Stealth Rock.
* Alternatively, full Speed investment allows Arceus-Rock to Speed tie with positive-natured base 120s such as Mega Salamence and offensive Arceus sets, which is useful for spreading burns.
* Multitype combines with Rock Plate to form Arceus-Rock and provide a reliable STAB move in Judgment.

Usage Tips
========
* Arceus-Rock should be liberally switched into Flying-types such as Mega Salamence, Ho-Oh, and Rayquaza and threaten them with an OHKO.
* Watch out for Ground-type coverage on Pokemon Arceus-Rock can usually handle, especially after you've revealed Arceus-Rock, as it will force a Recover and cost the momentum you would have gained.
* Try to anticipate your opponent switching into physical attackers such as Necrozma-DM, Marshadow, Zygarde-C, Mega Lucario, and Primal Groudon. In the case of the first four, punishing them with Will-O-Wisp on the switch will allow your teammates to handle their weakened attacks relatively easily.
* If a bulky offense team is left with no other answers against a potential sweep, Arceus-Rock can be sacrificed to burn a physical attacker such as Arceus-Ground or Necrozma-DM. Outside of these scenarios, Will-O-Wisp should only ever be used on predicted switches, as Arceus-Rock is easily OHKOed by physical threats and cannot stand up to them even if burned.
* Play Arceus-Rock conservatively against other Pokemon if your opponent has healthy Flying-type threats, especially given that it is only viable in teams that are otherwise badly weak to them.
* Avoid being hit with Toxic and Glare, as they significantly limit Arceus-Rock's usefulness as a sponge and sweeper. On the other hand, being burned does not really annoy Arceus-Rock much and could even be beneficial, as it prevents Arceus-Rock from being inflicted by more annoying status, so switch into burning moves such as Sacred Fire and Will-O-Wisp if given the opportunity.

Team Options
========
* Arceus-Rock should only be ran run to cover a severe weakness to Flying-types, especially Ho-Oh, so Pokemon that have these weaknesses such as Necrozma-DM, Primal Groudon, Magearna, Xerneas, and Ferrothorn, among several others, appreciate its support.
* Because Arceus-Rock runs Stealth Rock, it can free up Primal Groudon and Necrozma-DM, the tier's more common setters, to run more offensive sets.
* Arceus-Rock is fairly durable for a Stealth Rock setter, so pairing it with a Defog user such as Giratina-O or Mega Salamence allows your team to try to be the only side with entry hazards up late-game. However, do not use a Defogger that is easily trapped by Gothitelle along with Arceus-Rock, as if both are kept out of the field by Gothitelle, the opponent will easily dominate the entry hazard war and set the pace of the match.
* Mega Gengar and Gothitelle make for good partners, as they can remove Defoggers and some Stealth Rock setters, allowing Arceus-Rock to dominate hazards for the hazards game late-game. Both of these Pokemon also enjoy having their possible targets burned by Arceus-Rock, allowing Hex Mega Gengar to revenge kill far more easily and Gothitelle to manage even strong physical attackers such as Necrozma-DM with confidence.
* Zygarde-C and Yveltal are good partners, as they can switch into and revenge kill Fighting- and Steel-types that check Arceus-Rock.
* Primal Groudon is an excellent partner, since it can handle many of Arceus-Rock's prominent checks, such as Primal Kyogre, Blissey, Magearna, and Necrozma-DM. Primal Kyogre in particular can take advantage of Arceus-Rock, as it threatens it super effectively, takes little damage from Judgment, and threatens an OHKO with its powerful STAB Water-type attacks, making Primal Groudon a near-necessity as a partner.
* Giratina-O is another notable partner for Arceus-Rock, as it checks major threats to Arceus-Rock such as Primal Groudon and Arceus-Ground, provides Defog support that works well with Arceus-Rock, and fits well on the bulky offense teams that typically use Arceus-Rock.
* Checks to Ground-types, such as Giratina-O, Mega Salamence, and Primal Kyogre, can help Arceus-Rock manage its weakness and fit well into the bulky offense teams that Arceus-Rock typically finds itself in.
* Arceus-Rock hates being hit by Toxic, so a reliable Toxic absorber such as Ferrothorn, Magearna, Necrozma-DM, Zygarde-C, defensive Primal Kyogre, or Facade Mega Salamence can help it be more effective. Ferrothorn is a particularly good partner, as it greatly eases the matchup against Primal Kyogre.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
* Arceus-Rock's is not viable without Recover, Judgment, and Will-O-Wisp, as this allows foes to exploit its severe weaknesses, but it can replace Stealth Rock to provide different forms of utility for its team.
* Calm Mind can be used to make Arceus-Rock into a sweeper. Calm Mind Arceus-Rock struggles to set up early-game, as its many prominent answers, especially its Steel-type counters, can easily put a stop to a sweep and set up in return, so it should focus on spreading status, sponging resisted hits, and potentially bluffing a support set early-game. However, Arceus-Rock can be fairly threatening late-game once its checks are worn down, especially because it outspeeds most of them, so it provides solid role compression for bulky offense teams. It particularly makes a good partner for Choice Specs Yveltal, which severely pressures common switch-ins such as Magearna, which Arceus-Rock can proceed to break through.
* Toxic can be ran run as a second status move that allows Arceus-Rock to punish passive Pokemon that can wall Judgment and do not mind or even enjoy being burned, such as support Arceus formes, which otherwise have nothing to fear from Arceus-Rock. Dual status Arceus-Rock functions well as a dedicated damage sponge and support option that can meaningfully punish all of its switch-ins with good prediction, but it loses out on the ability to fill a bigger role for the team. Notably, it is an excellent partner for Hex Mega Gengar, as it can spread status to any Pokemon in the tier, making it easier for Mega Gengar to revenge kill.
* Fire Blast can be ran in place of Will-O-Wisp as a way to chip at Steel-types such as Necrozma-DM and Magearna while allowing Arceus-Rock to hit Celesteela, Skarmory, and especially Ferrothorn harder than its other options. However, other Pokemon kept in check by Will-O-Wisp, notably Zygarde-C, are left with nothing stopping them from setting up on Arceus-Rock.
* Roar can be used to phase out phaze setup sweepers and, if not running Calm Mind, break out of Gothitelle's trapping. However, this is not that common of a matchup, so Will-O-Wisp, Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Calm Mind provide much more general utility.
* Refresh + Calm Mind can make a full mono-attacking sweeping set, but the Pokemon kept in check by Will-O-Wisp such as Marshadow, Necrozma-DM, Magearna, and Mega Lucario will shut down this set with ease and often set up for a sweep of their own.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Arceus-Rock's most effective checks are Ground-types that resist Judgment, threaten it with super effective moves, and typically have a way of managing Will-O-Wisp. Arceus-Ground can scare out Arceus-Rock fairly easily with STAB Ground-type attacks. Special sets do not mind Will-O-Wisp, and physical sets often carry Substitute to manage the threat of Will-O-Wisp. Zygarde-C can easily tank Judgment, hit Arceus-Rock with Thousand Arrows, and guard Will-O-Wisp with Substitute or Rest depending on the set. Primal Groudon is the most prominent Pokemon in the metagame and hard checks Arceus-Rock while being immune to Will-O-Wisp, although it will take notable damage from Judgment on the switch.

**Steel-types**: Necrozma-DM threatens Arceus-Rock with super effective Sunsteel Strike and can use scaring it out as an opportunity to boost for a sweep or set Stealth Rock, although it is severely impaired by Will-O-Wisp. Magearna easily walls Arceus-Rock's Judgment, is immune to Toxic, and is relatively unfazed by Will-O-Wisp, so it can confidently wall Arceus-Rock. Ferrothorn gets free turns from Arceus-Rock and can use them to set up entry hazards or hit it with super effective STAB moves. Less common Steel-types such as Arceus-Steel, Aegislash, and Mega Metagross also threaten Arceus-Rock with super effective STAB moves and can switch in without much trouble, although Mega Metagross seriously dislikes being burned.

**Fighting-types**: Marshadow easily manages Arceus-Rock by outspeeding it and threatening to OHKO with Close Combat or steal Calm Mind boosts with Spectral Thief. Mega Lucario will also OHKO with relative ease and can scare out Arceus-Rock for an opportunity to set up Swords Dance and sweep. Both of these Pokemon, however, are severely hampered by Will-O-Wisp on the switch.

**Gothitelle**: If Arceus-Rock is not running Calm Mind or Roar, Gothitelle can switch into any of its moves, trap it with Shadow Tag, and PP stall it to death.

**Water-types**: Arceus-Water can spread Toxic to cripple Arceus-Rock and takes manageable damage from Judgment. Toxapex can also wall Arceus-Rock with relative ease and set up Toxic Spikes. Palkia can threaten Arceus-Rock with super effective moves and reliably set up on it.

**Revenge Killers**: Fast revenge killers such as Mega Gengar, Pheromosa, Deoxys-A, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Mewtwo X, and Lunala commonly carry super effective Fighting-type moves that will easily take out a weakened Arceus-Rock.

**Status Spreaders**: Being hit by Toxic will put Arceus-Rock on a timer, preventing it from keeping up Stealth Rock or setting up for a sweep. Similarly, paralysis will lower its Speed and also threaten it to be overwhelmed by the attacks it is supposed to switch into if it misses Recover turns. Because of this, Arceus-Rock is usually forced out by status spreaders such as support Arceus formes, and it even is hesitant to switch into some of its usual targets, such as Ho-Oh, if they could potentially spread status onto it.

Last edited:

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]
* Access to Will-O-Wisp allows Arceus-Rock to punish physical attackers that threaten it, including Mega Lucario, Necrozma-DM, and Arceus-Ground, although the catastrophic damage they inflict forces you to use this move to be used when either predicting or sacrificing on a prediction or on a sacrifice.
* Weaknesses to Steel-, Fighting-, Ground-, and Water-type moves allow most of the tier's most prominent attackers to threaten OHKOs, such as Necrozma-DM, Marshadow, Mega Lucario, Arceus-Ground, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre, making Arceus-Rock largely fail to provide unsuccessful at providing the general-use bulk usually sought in support and Calm Mind Arceus formes.
* Arceus-Rock is also vulnerable to being trapped by Gothitelle, which renders it you unable to set up Stealth Rock with it without risking sacrificing it and possibly conceding the entry hazard war to the opposing team.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========
* Arceus-Rock should only be ran run to cover a severe weakness to Flying-types, especially Ho-Oh, so Pokemon that have these weaknesses such as Necrozma-DM, Primal Groudon, Magearna, Xerneas, and Ferrothorn, among several others, appreciate its support.
* Mega Gengar and Gothitelle make for good partners, as they can remove Defoggers and some Stealth Rock setters, allowing Arceus-Rock to dominate hazards for the hazards game late-game. Both of these Pokemon also enjoy having their possible targets burned by Arceus-Rock, allowing Hex Mega Gengar to revenge kill far more easily and Gothitelle to manage even strong physical attackers such as Necrozma-DM with confidence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
* Toxic can be ran run as a second status move that allows Arceus-Rock to punish passive Pokemon that can wall Judgment and do not mind or even enjoy being burned, such as support Arceus formes, which otherwise have nothing to fear from Arceus-Rock. Dual status Arceus-Rock functions well as a dedicated damage sponge and support option that can meaningfully punish all of its switch-ins with good prediction, but it loses out on the ability to fill a bigger role for the team. Notably, it is an excellent partner for Hex Mega Gengar, as it can spread status to any Pokemon in the tier, making it easier for Mega Gengar to revenge kill.
* Roar can be used to phase out phaze setup sweepers and, if not running Calm Mind, break out of Gothitelle's trapping. However, this is not that common of a matchup, so Will-O-Wisp, Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Calm Mind provide much more general utility.

Checks and Counters
===================

Implemented and marking as done, thanks for the check!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)