SM OU Ash Greninja Pivot (Up for suggestions and Feedback)

I'm new to Smogon and I was testing this team on showdown. I had some success with this team and I want to hear some feedback and what I can do to improve on my pivot team. This team is for pre-Pokebank, but I'm open for team options for post-Pokebank.

Here is my team:

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

There are really not a lot of good stealth rock users pre-bank outside of Necrozma, Gigalith, Lycanroc, and stuff like that. Pretty common moveset for Mamoswine. I use it mostly for leads and getting up rocks or saving it for answers to Toxapex and sometimes revenge killing if I have the sash still intact. I am open for suggestions for other effective rockers post-bank.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Hurricane/Defog
- Scald
- U-turn
Support for Ash-Greninja and checks Alolan-Maro sometimes. Since Pelipper can't get Defog pre-bank, I have hurricane to take full advantage of the 100% accuracy. The EV's are made to be bulky and for Pheromosa's Ice Beam not 2HKO Pelipper. Once Post-bank happens, Pelipper will be my defogger. Roost is there for longevity, scald for burning some Pokémon and U-turn is there for pivoting out of free switches to get some of my other Pokémon in there.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere/Hidden Power Fire

Checks Lele pretty well. The EV's in SpD are made for pokemon like Genesect to get the Attack Boost from Download. Standard Assault Vest set with volt switch to pivot out non-electric immune pokemon. Another option I have is Hidden Power Fire over Aura Sphere for dealing with pokemon like Ferrothorn.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt/Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam/Hidden Power Ice
- Roost/U-Turn
- Volt Switch

Koko helps check some of Ash-Greninja's checks like some bulky water types like Tapu Fini and helps get Greninja in with either U-turn or Volt Switch. Thunder is powerful STAB under Electric Terrain. Grass Know can help check bulky ground types like Hippowdon. Dazzling gleam can check some dragons like Hydregion and Garchomp. Hidden power Ice can help check some common switch in's to koko like Landorus-T. Roost is an option for longevity. U-turn helps Koko pivot out against Pokémon that Counter Koko like Lanturn with Volt Absorb and Alolan-Marowak. Volt switch is a STAB pivot option for getting Greninja into the battle.

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- High Jump Kick/Low kick
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Rapid Spin/Poison Jab

Life Orb Pheromosa helps the team by hitting hard and getting out due to its fragile defenses. High Jump Kick is its strongest STAB option (assuming it connects) not many things can switch into this outside of Ghost types. Low kick is an option if accuracy is favored over high damage and it hits really heavy Pokemon like Aggron and Rhyperior hard. Ice beam provides coverage against pokemon like defensive Garchomp and Landorus-T. U-Turn is for scouting and getting out if the match-up is unfavorable at the start. For now I have Rapid Spin for hazard control since Pelipper can't get Defog, but once post-bank happens, I'll switch to Poison Jab to help deal with annoying Fairy Types like Clefable and all of the Tapu's.

Greninja-Ash @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam/Extrasensory/Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse
Life Orb Greninja doesn't hit quite as hard as Specs, but I more favor being open to options while I still hit decently hard. Water Shuriken is for priority (assuming they don't have priority checks like Tapu Lele, Tsareena, Bruxish, etc.) and hits pretty well under rain and when it is in Ash-Greninja form. I prefer Surf over Hydro Pump Only for the Accuracy, though Hydro Pump is an Option for potentially OHKOing stuff that Surf isn't able to accomplish. I run Ice Beam over U-turn even if I am running a Specs Set simply for the fact that I rarely use U-turn once I am in Ash form. Plus, Ice beam can help with some coverage over some non-bulky Ice Beam Checks. Extrasensory and Grass Knot are options that help Greninja check some Pokemon that do wall Ash Greninja like Tapu Fini and Toxapex (especially the Spd spread set). Lastly, Dark Pulse hits really hard as one of its main STAB options.

That is my team. What do you think? I am open for any and all kind and helpful feedback so I can improve my team! Please let me know if you have any questions or clarification! Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)