Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Numel by Wyverii
Like most other forums, simple questions come up all the time. Please ask them here, rather than making new threads.

This is NOT a discussion thread.
  • Please consult the sticky threads and the CAP Website (specifically, the Newcomers Guide) before posting a question here. Most basic information is contained in them.
  • Do not ask non-CAP related questions in this thread. For general Pokémon help, see the Simple Question / Simple Answer thread in the Competitive Discussion forum.
  • Do not start discussions in this thread. This is for simple questions that are expected to have a simple answer. If your question is an open-ended discussion-starter, it will be moderated.
  • Do not continue discussions in this thread. Provide a simple answer to a posted simple question, or do not post at all. Do not go "back-and-forth" with posts. However, feel free to answer follow-up questions if they are also simple in nature.
  • This is not a place to post your ideas/concerns/problems/issues with the CAP project, simply because you "can't find any other place to post". If that is your reason for posting here, your post is almost certainly inappropriate here and will be moderated.
  • Do not ask "When is <X> going to start?", "When is <X> going to happen?", "How long is <X> going to take?" or any other questions related to timelines or future project occurrences. The CAP project does not follow any set timelines, so don't ask questions about it. If you are asking about the overall future project direction, the answer is in the stickies, or it isn't a simple question. Either way, don't ask that stuff here.
  • Do not ask about EVO, or any other side projects that could come out of CAP.
  • All CAP Pokemon are "OU", no matter what usage they get in the CAP Metagame.
This thread is for simple questions, and simple answers. It's very.... uh.... Numel-esque.

Common Questions:

Where can I play the CAP metagame?

- On Pokemon Showdown!.

Where do I find the sprites?

- Originals can be found here.
- Fifth gen updates can be found here.

Can I use CAP Pokemon for my own project?

- Per DougJustDoug here:
You can use CAP pokemon for your game, if you wish. But you must observe the following stipulations:
  • Your game cannot be affiliated with another established online pokemon community
  • Credit the "Create-A-Pokemon Project", and provide links to our website, located here: http://www.smogon.com/cap/
  • Your representation of our characters must be consistent with the names, design elements, and overall themes of the characters as defined on the CAP website and CAP forum
Many people have created artworks, ROM hacks, video fighting games, and other interesting offshoot projects using our characters. If you get something interesting together, please let me know and perhaps we can cross-link from here to your project. Good luck!
How can I submit my own Pokemon?

As a community project, the CAP Project does not accept personal Fakemon submissions. If you want to share your personal Fakemon, consider:
  • For competitive Pokemon ideas, contribute to a Pet Mod that is accepting submissions
  • For art, post in Fakemon Central

Last edited by a moderator:

Asylum_Rhapsody

Recently, there were some changes in the CAP project.

1) Why was the thread closed?
I'm sure that people have questions or comments about the changes.

2) What do all of these changes actually mean for average posters that like to participate in the CAP process but don't actually have any interest in leadership positions like this "CAPinet" (clever name, by the way) or the PRC?
The only major changes that I'm noticing from that angle are that (a) there's now officially a CAP metagame that we're designing for, which includes all CAP projects, including those from previous generations and (b) Topic Leaders are gone now, which is a double-edged sword because it prevents abuse of the position but also decentralizes its duties so that normal posters don't always know who to talk to. I'm just wanting to make sure that I understand the changes relevant to me correctly.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Recently, there were some changes in the CAP project.

1) Why was the thread closed?
I'm sure that people have questions or comments about the changes.
The thread was closed because we wanted to announce the changes but weren't completely done with implementation.

2) What do all of these changes actually mean for average posters that like to participate in the CAP process but don't actually have any interest in leadership positions like this "CAPinet" (clever name, by the way) or the PRC?
The only major changes that I'm noticing from that angle are that (a) there's now officially a CAP metagame that we're designing for, which includes all CAP projects, including those from previous generations and (b) Topic Leaders are gone now, which is a double-edged sword because it prevents abuse of the position but also decentralizes its duties so that normal posters don't always know who to talk to. I'm just wanting to make sure that I understand the changes relevant to me correctly.
If you have no desire in leadership positions then it doesn't affect you in the least. Continue contributing like normal.

As for the changes, you are understanding them correctly. The part that's relevant to you is that instead of one Topic Leader, each mod is leading parts of the CAP. Generally the new rule of thumb is: ask whoever made the thread you want to post in. If all else fails, ask me.

Problem instaling CAP on PO

Hi I am new at here, and I want to update the Cap data to Pokemon online, but the link of "Updating Data (WinXP / Vista / Win7)" at http://www.smogon.com/cap/server/connection_guide, the link is broken.
Could you please help me to install the CAP mode, to play this atPokemon Online.
Sory if I sound like a noob.

I know the OP stated not to post anything you previously made, but what if you wanted to put up something you'd previously spent months on in order to get it perfected. Like this: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Endless_Zork/topic/4726584/1/ [I put it in my holding area forum, because a lot of it's codes don't work here and I didn't need to advert the original forum where I worked on that at] I have multiple like this, though this one is the most done (only one with that nice of a sprite). All of them have complete moveset though in most cases they have no stats, because the forum I previously worked on them on didn't use stats. I'm asking mostly because the way the OP sounded it's like the assumption that anything you'd previously made must be crap, throw it out and only work from scratch here.

EDIT:

Pretty much what I'm saying is where would I go/is there anywhere on here where I could get something like this cleaned and finished by a larger group instead of starting from complete scratch with polling on whether a concept could work or not? o_0;

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Short answer: nowhere
Long answer: we don't accept fan made projects at any level of completion

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi I am new at here, and I want to update the Cap data to Pokemon online, but the link of "Updating Data (WinXP / Vista / Win7)" at http://www.smogon.com/cap/server/connection_guide, the link is broken.
Could you please help me to install the CAP mode, to play this atPokemon Online.
Sory if I sound like a noob.

I believe CAP is now on Pokemon Showdown rather than Pokemon Online, due to easier implementation.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RoA Leader
I keep hearing about the CAP IRC, #cap. Never saw anything on how to access it though. Anyone care to explain how I get there?

(I probably passed over a link somewhere without realizing it.)

EDIT: Oh wow, how stupid of me. *facepalm*

CAP Help

Hello,

I'm trying to download the CAP data onto my computer, but I can't open the installation. Can I please have some help so I can use the 10 new Pokemon?

Thanks!

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In general, I believe that current view is that we prefer not to do custom abilities, moves or anything else unless absolutely necessary. However, as was mentioned, it is currently possible thanks to PS! They will probably not happen, but it will really depend on the situation.

Magic Bounce is a continual effect, so long as a Pokemon with Magic Bounce is in it repels all effect moves. Rebound only works on the switch, so if you use SR and Collosoil comes in it gets reflected, however if you switch in and then use it next turn it should work.

In light of the new CAP, I made some type spreadsheets showing all possible type combination resistances, weaknesses, and such. I don't think such a thread exists, would it go into this forum?

I'm not sure were this goes in this subforum, so I will point out an error here. The official Revenankh dec data on the main page gives it 90/90/110 defenses, but there is an error in the strategy. It gives it 94/90/120 defenses, which are significantly different. Just pointing it out for correction.

With it's creative, yet somewhat unorthodox concept and stats, what poke do you think may be ideal to give support, and what place on a team do you think Mollux might fulfill?

I think Gliscor would be a good teammate for Mollux as it can deal with the Rock types that threaten Mollux, whilst our lovely cone snail can take Water/Ice attacks with ease.

I think Gliscor would be a good teammate for Mollux as it can deal with the Rock types that threaten Mollux, whilst our lovely cone snail can take Water/Ice attacks with ease.
Landorus could be a good teammate as well, with his identical typing, and slightly more offensive oriented stats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)