Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 18 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copy it. Come to the forums, click "New Thread", then paste it. Add comments and pictures and you're done!
Unfortunately, I don't think my computer will let me do that. Is it just a regular highlight/copy/paste? If it is, then I can't post it. For some reason when I right-click the highlighted story it does nothing.

Hi, I'm new to on-line play Pokemon. I just got my first DS version of Pokemon (Platinum)
I got a PKRS on my Alakazam none of my friends (nor I) have seen it before but one of them said here would be the best place to ask what to do with it. We understand its something to do with EV's but we just don't know how to handle it.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi, I'm new to on-line play Pokemon. I just got my first DS version of Pokemon (Platinum)
I got a PKRS on my Alakazam none of my friends (nor I) have seen it before but one of them said here would be the best place to ask what to do with it. We understand its something to do with EV's but we just don't know how to handle it.
Pokerus doubles the EVs given to your Pokemon when it defeats a foe. If a Bibarel normally gives you +2 Attack EVs, you would now receive 4 EVs. This is mostly used to speed up the EV training process and has little other value.

How does it react with the power bracer's etc? does it multiply or just add 2?
The item's boost is doubled, meaning that Pokerus and Power item results in 8 EVs in the stat the item's for per Pokemon defeated, and that's without factoring in the EVs from the Pokemon you actually beat.

Also, congratulations on the Pokerus get. Remember, you can spread it through your party by having it in your party and doing a few battles, and keep something with it in the PC so if you need to infect something new, just whip out the thing and get it to infect the new guy.

One last thing: lol Mr Spoon. Funny Alakazam name there.

A few questions from a beginner.

Sorry for posting this previously in the wrong section.

Hi everyone, I have just decided to play competitively and I got a few questions(I did do some research before typing these questions), so hopefully I can get some help from here, and sorry if my questions don't belong here or if they have been asked before).

1. Is there a guideline as to what IV a Pokemon used in competitive play must have? I understand that for a speedy lead like Crobat, Max IV in its speed is a must, but what about the other stats? Must they also be around 31? (Other than the useless stat (which is Special attack in my case). Right now I have raised a Staryu (intended to be a rapid spinner) with 21/21/26/16/23/31, and I am wondering if it is way too weak to be used.

2. Somewhat of a variation of my first question: From a few of the builds on the Smogon Pokedex, I read something like "this EV spread allows prevention of OHKO from XX Attack from XX Pokemon". Does it refer to Pokemon with max IV in defense/special defense (the one being attacked)?

3. In regards to TMs that can only be obtained once and can't be passed down as egg moves (like grass knot), other than through the use of hacking (which I have no idea how to nor would I ever do), am I stuck with the only option of obtaining it through trading from another game? Or are people on wifi generous enough to trade them? (I have yet to go online as of yet).

4. Are there enough people online that are competitively battling for a beginner to compete against?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day.

1. It's common sense mostly. A fast sweeper needs 30/31 in the offensive stat(s) and speed, a wall needs good HP and defenses, as well as enough speed and attack/special attack to do anything else it needs to etc.
As for the Staryu, you could definately do a lot better than that without too many problems. At the minimum, I'd be looking for decent HP/Def/SpDef along with fairly high SpAtk and max or near-max speed on a Starmie.

2. Yes. If you're missing a max IV by a few points, you'll have to compensate by adding more EVs (if you can).

3. You could probably get someone to give you a few TMs for not too much in return, although I don't use the wifi forums so I'm not 100% sure.

4. Yes.

Which is better on this:
Hariyama @ Toxic Orb
Adamant
252 Atk/252 HP/4 Spd
Belly Drum
Protect
Bullet Punch
(Brick Break or Close Combat?)

Which is better on this:
Hariyama @ Toxic Orb
Adamant
252 Atk/252 HP/4 Spd
Belly Drum
Protect
Bullet Punch
Belly Drum and Toxic Orb is pretty terrible, TBH. That means if he is never damaged by anything, he'll be able to attack for 4 turns. Realistically, maybe 1 kill before a Ratatta tackles you to death.

That holds true regardless, but is this for singles or doubles?

Which is better on this:
Hariyama @ Toxic Orb
Adamant
252 Atk/252 HP/4 Spd
Belly Drum
Protect
Bullet Punch
I don't know, but I can tell you that you really should put those HP EVs into both defenses, it makes it bulkier as it already has high HP. Also, I would say Mach Punch, but it can't learn it for some reason (it can learn Bullet Punch, why not Mach Punch).

Hippowdon

Ok, so I'm breeding this Hippowdon for my team as a defense wall. Which is better?
31/31/31/x/31/31
or
31/31/31/31/31/31
Does the Sp. A really matter that much? I'd like at least one flawless Pokemon on my team but it means more work for me... Also, is this a good moveset (w/ Leftovers)?
Slack Off
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Ice Fang

I heard there was a place in Diamond/PLatinum where you can catch LV 100 Magikarps...Is this true?
No, but if you use the Super Rod in the Resort Area in Platinum, you will hook a Magikarp with a random level from 1 to 100. Very good for RNG abuse.

EDIT: on that Hippowdon the Special Attack doesn't matter at all since Hippowdon won't be using any special moves. It makes it a better parent for breeding something that does, though. And the moveset looks good and is the standard.

Ok, so I'm breeding this Hippowdon for my team as a defense wall. Which is better?
31/31/31/x/31/31
or
31/31/31/31/31/31
Does the Sp. A really matter that much? I'd like at least one flawless Pokemon on my team but it means more work for me... Also, is this a good moveset (w/ Leftovers)?
Slack Off
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Ice Fang
There is no need to worry about special attack IV's. Hippowdon shouldn't use special attacks anyway

Why has Scizor suddenly become so popular?
If you're talking about OU, then Scizor has been popular for a while now ever since it got Bullet Punch and Superpower to some extent. CB Bullet Punch has the potential to kill weakened Salamence (at 65%), CB Tyranitar (at 75%), and Mamoswine (from full health), among others. It makes a decent check to Latias and Kingdra as well. However, the best part of CB Scizor- U-Turn- has been there since the beginning of D/P. It's able to do 25% to Rotom switch-ins and hits standard Gyarados for 23%. It has great synergy with Stealth Rock, bulky waters, and Salamence.

When the Scizor variant is bulky, it does a good job at KO'ing Starmie and Gengar, since they are OHKO'ed by the move of choice and cannot switch lest they get hit by Pursuit. It has great utility in nearly all teams and requires minimal skill to be effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)