Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (NU Edition)

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
It certainly is usable, but would you really say its any better than gurdurr, tauros, or aggron? Probably not. Keep in mind, the VR rankings (aside from D) are essentially showing people what to use, and they don't have to include every single usable mon, they instead include everything over some standard of Viability.

Edit:
ultimately you can justify a ton of stuff to the C ranks, as they aren't as rigidly defined as higher ranks, but you have to compromise somewhere, as otherwise clarity is lost, and remember, this is a utility for newer players, and its not going to do them much good if you rank all of NU, PU, and NFE by absolute viability

Last edited:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I from the outside thought kingler would be great like in pu but just the tier meta game crushes it super hard overall and at best could run it's scarf set if there isn't light screen support

That said gasordon is a prime example of a Mon that is sometimes viable in ubers but not pu

I from the outside thought kingler would be great like in pu but just the tier meta game crushes it super hard overall and at best could run it's scarf set if there isn't light screen support

That said gasordon is a prime example of a Mon that is sometimes viable in ubers but not pu
Uh what? Kingler is great in PU rn. Hits like 3 trucks and sweeps unprepared teams.

Regarding Guzzlord
On top of this what checks are there to him?
Guzzlord is at A- in the VR; a good wallbreaker.

Some checks to Guzzlord:
-Type:Null (Insane bulk thanks to Eviolite, only has to watch out for the rare Focus Blast)
-Fairy-types (e.g. Mega-Audino and Whimsicott) switch in on both STABs and KO with theirs (they have to watch out for Sludge Bomb (as well as Fire Blast, in Whimsicott's case)
-Fighting-types (e.g. Hariyama and Toxicroak) can pressure it with their STABs and switch in on Dark Pulse (sometimes coverage attacks too). Special mention here goes to AV Hariyama, who can even tank a Draco Meteor reasonably well.

Also, due to Guzzlord being slow there's many faster attackers with a super effective move against it (e.g. Vanilluxe, Sneasel), so if you can bring those in safely via pivots, they can offensively check it

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
What's the hot Incineroar set people are running nowadays? I really want to use it now that it's not bad.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Incineroar @ Incinium Z / Firium-Z
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Darkest Lariat / Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Taunt / Low Kick / Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Simple enough, SD up, kill stuff, flare blitz is super nice for spamming, taunt means you legitimately can't lose vs most stall builds, Low Kick lets you hit Guzzlord, EQ lets you hit Garbodor without dying. Incinium-Z / Firium-Z are based on whether you hate Slowbro/Rhydon or just want a really spammable nuke more.

Hai hai (okay kms for that but whatever),

So I was checking out the SM Dex entries for a lot of pokemon such as incineroar to try to better build my teams. Unfortunately, I have this bad habit of being extremely reliant on the Dex entries when I don't feel like bugging our AMAZING mods about what sets to run (looking at Quziel and RhydonPhilip mainly, sorry I've been annoying :] and thanks for your help thus far!). Anyhow, whilst surfing the Dex entries, I realized a lot of them contained references to Emboar who just got kicked out of the meta by proxy of being borked and suspected, and even weirder, there were tons of references to seismitoad, a UU pokemon. To make a long story short, the Dex entries are severely outdated. I was wondering:

1) When will the new Dex entries be installed?
2) Is there a committee that decides what to write for each set?
3) Is there a forum page I'm supposed to go to to discus this type of stuff?

Any answers would be helpful because I want to improve my gameplay and I feel understanding the specific mechanics of each pokemon, including who is the largest individual threat to who and etc. would greatly increase my ability to be competitive and quite possibly increase my enjoyment of the game. Thank you!

Hai hai (okay kms for that but whatever),

So I was checking out the SM Dex entries for a lot of pokemon such as incineroar to try to better build my teams. Unfortunately, I have this bad habit of being extremely reliant on the Dex entries when I don't feel like bugging our AMAZING mods about what sets to run (looking at Quziel and RhydonPhilip mainly, sorry I've been annoying :] and thanks for your help thus far!). Anyhow, whilst surfing the Dex entries, I realized a lot of them contained references to Emboar who just got kicked out of the meta by proxy of being borked and suspected, and even weirder, there were tons of references to seismitoad, a UU pokemon. To make a long story short, the Dex entries are severely outdated. I was wondering:

1) When will the new Dex entries be installed?
2) Is there a committee that decides what to write for each set?
3) Is there a forum page I'm supposed to go to to discus this type of stuff?

Any answers would be helpful because I want to improve my gameplay and I feel understanding the specific mechanics of each pokemon, including who is the largest individual threat to who and etc. would greatly increase my ability to be competitive and quite possibly increase my enjoyment of the game. Thank you!
Ok, not to be a butt munch or anything but I actually found the answer which is the following link:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sun-moon-nu-analysis-discussion.3608853/#post-7707841

Which goes to the analysis discussion of NU Pokemon, aka the Dex entries. So, hooray, I answered my own question, sorry guys. But if anyone else had the same question, that's the answer.

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For a beginner to Gen 7 NU, what would be an easy archtype to try to build around to get a good idea of the tier (as in stall, balance, HO).
The easiest playstyle to build right now is balance/bulky offense. Common build atm is defensive core + wallbreaker + rocker + scarfer/speed control + hazard removal. Popular defensive mons atm are Slowbro, Spdef Venusaur, Spdef Type Null (can act as a bulky wincon), Rhydon, ...
Good wallbreakers: Medicham, Toxicroak, Incineroar, Aromatisse
Good rockers: Steelix, Druddigon, Rhydon, Piloswine
Hazard removers: Silvally-steel, Xatu (magic bounce), Cryogonal, Whimsicott, Rotom, Altaria
The usual scarf mons are Delphox, Venusaur, Heliolisk, Rotom

I'd definitely check out the following links

NU VR gives you an idea of which mons are good atm: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usum-nu-viability-rankings.3622107/
Cores to help you build your own teams (check out the 2nd page): https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/good-cores-in-sm-nu.3607234/page-2
Role compendium to know which mons fulfill certain roles: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nu-speed-tiers-role-compendium.3606163/

quziel

I am the Scientist now
Same as previous set:

Incineroar @ Incinium Z / Firium-Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Taunt / Low Kick / Earthquake / Flame Charge
- Darkest Lariat
- Flare Blitz

Fairly self-explanatory, but use bulk / typing to get setup, and then abuse the sheer power of malicious moonsault.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I've only played nu in 4th gen and some pu in later gens, but I saw the drops and thought this tier might be fire. What are the meta treads currently, I kind of wanna try a weather spam which looks really supported at first glance

Bruxish moved from RU to nu
Abomasnow-Mega moved from RU to NU
Diancie moved from RU to NU
Gigalith moved from RU to NU
Camerupt-Mega moved from RU to Nu
Comfey moved from RU to NU

quziel

I am the Scientist now
Its usable, far from perfect, and def does let a lot of spooky stuff like venusaur, aboma, and braviary in for free, but it still has a unique defensive typing letting it take on threats like Stoutland and Toxicroak rather reliably, while also setting rocks.

I really like Mega Camerupt, but I haven't played NU in a while and my teambuilding isn't the greatest anyway. What would be some good partners for it?

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
What would be the best set for Togedemaru in the current Nu metagame?

quziel

I am the Scientist now
Gallade:
Swords Dance and the abiltity to run psychic coverage gives it a notable advantage over other fighting types, boasting the ability to OHKO slowbro over Medicham, and the ability to easily deal with Garbodor over Toxicroak. The Bulk up set also has very significant bulk and enough speed to actually do stuff, which differentiates it from its competition in, well, it doesn't have much competition. With Toxic support it can break Slowbro, which is nice.

Absol:
It has the strongest Sucker Punch in the tier (of those with 100% accuracy), and SD. It also has usable speed, thoiugh not nearly as good as Sneasel, adn it has nowhere near the bulk that Incin does. This combo of setup and enough speed with an absurdly strong Sucker gives it a good niche, albeit one that is crowded by Raticate-Alola, though it boasts 100% accuracy over Ret.

What made Qwilfish become unviable???
Qwilfish became a lot worse with Emboar's ban, as it was generally used as an offensive check to Emboar. Also with the direction of the tier currently, with more offensive builds getting mons like Diancie and gigalith as reliable hazard setters, as well as a more sand offensive style meta.

Quick question: how is it that Dodrio, who is one of the mons who had the most buffs in gen 7 (+10 in speed, jump kick and sword dance) and who had the potential to be UU, is finally a very poor NU? I will have asked the same question for Bibarel or Masquerain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)