Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: PU Edition

How do you guys deal with Pawniard on bulkier teams? Knock Off is already insane in this tier because so many of the viable mons are Eviolite users, but Pawniard in particular just feels so oppressive. Like for instance I need rocks on my team and I'm looking through the list of Stealth Rock users, and literally every single mon that can use rocks gets screwed over by Knock Off or doesn't want to tank an Iron Head.

The entire list of rockers that don't need Eviolite is: Mawile (Intimidate boosts Pawniard's attack), Sudowoodo (Iron Head), Shuckle (Iron Head), Solrock/Lunatone (Knock Off / Iron Head), Stonjourner (Iron Head). That's literally it. There's nothing else.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
How do you guys deal with Pawniard on bulkier teams? Knock Off is already insane in this tier because so many of the viable mons are Eviolite users, but Pawniard in particular just feels so oppressive. Like for instance I need rocks on my team and I'm looking through the list of Stealth Rock users, and literally every single mon that can use rocks gets screwed over by Knock Off or doesn't want to tank an Iron Head.

The entire list of rockers that don't need Eviolite is: Mawile (Intimidate boosts Pawniard's attack), Sudowoodo (Iron Head), Shuckle (Iron Head), Solrock/Lunatone (Knock Off / Iron Head), Stonjourner (Iron Head). That's literally it. There's nothing else.
Run Throh or Grapploct. Run other generally bulky pokemon with high stats like Silvally-Ground/Water, Lapras, Gourgeist with Colbur berry. Make sure that your faster offensive Pokemon can pressure it.

I'm not sure why you have such a fixation for your rocker being able to take Pawniard's Knock Off. That being said, Stonjourner easily outspeeds and kills Pawniard, and Lunatone with Colbur Berry and Earth Power can do the same. Solrock can burn Pawniard. Palpitoad is annoyed by Knock Off but is still a counter and is a pretty good pokemon. Same with Carkol.

Run Throh or Grapploct. Run other generally bulky pokemon with high stats like Silvally-Ground/Water, Lapras, Gourgeist with Colbur berry. Make sure that your faster offensive Pokemon can pressure it.

I'm not sure why you have such a fixation for your rocker being able to take Pawniard's Knock Off. That being said, Stonjourner easily outspeeds and kills Pawniard, and Lunatone with Colbur Berry and Earth Power can do the same. Solrock can burn Pawniard. Palpitoad is annoyed by Knock Off but is still a counter and is a pretty good pokemon. Same with Carkol.
Thank you. I'm just building a team that as it stands is very weak to Pawniard and needs rocks. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone, which usually you'd think you'd be able to do with a bulky ground or whatever. Just so happens that all the bulky grounds other than like Silvally which can't learn rocks are NFEs. I'm looking for something that ideally could switch in repeatedly so it sounds like Palpitoad may be my best bet.

Like for instance I need rocks on my team and I'm looking through the list of Stealth Rock users, and literally every single mon that can use rocks gets screwed over by Knock Off or doesn't want to tank an Iron Head.

I don't play much PU, so this might not work, but Pawniard can learn Stealth Rock, so it could be run as one to check other Pawniard. It resists both Dark and Steel, so it likely wouldn't mind Iron Head or Knock Off with some Defense investment. The problem is that its only viable Fighting-type move is the low-powered Brick Break, but that would likely easily OHKO or 2HKO other Pawniard. It seems niche, but it could work... maybe.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Big Question here
|
V

If I downloaded a replay, how would I share it?

This a General question, but I choose to starve the other tiers of a replay i'm truly proud of in favor if some who might enjoy it understanding why the replay is the perfect balance of 38 turns and viable non sense.

These are the smartest people in the world at this tier right now, that's cool as shit.

Maybe because there's basically no Fire-types in PU, not fully evolved at least

You only have Silvally-Fire and Heatmor to choose from, so maybe Raboot is usted simply because a lack of better options (Although until he gets Libero, I think Silvally is better as a Fire pivot)

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Since Raboot shows up on the viability list i wonder what set people are using? Cinderace in OU use a utility set but Raboot does not get Court Change so...?
We do have other fire types such as silvally-fire and heatmor, raboot I believe is on the viability list because of it's speed tier and coverage options, fire stab with high jump kick is awesome coverage I am sure choice band and choice scarf are viable picks. I don't think it is on the viability list for any set in particular it's there because of the good qualities it has.

How does Future Sight work with Analytic? Does it take into account the time it was used? Or is it always boosted by Analytic since it's launched at the end of the turn? Or is it just flat out not affected by Analytic?

How does Future Sight work with Analytic? Does it take into account the time it was used? Or is it always boosted by Analytic since it's launched at the end of the turn? Or is it just flat out not affected by Analytic?
Your question intrigued me, and so I did some testing. Here are the results:

• Future Sight is boosted by Analytic
  • However, the boost does not apply if the user is out of battle when the move hits
  • Therefore, if the user stays in battle until the move hits, or if they switch out and back in again, Analytic will apply
  • The above also applies for damage-boosting items like Choice Specs
  • If the user of Future Sight does not have Analytic/Specs and switches into a mon with Analytic/Specs when the move hits, the boost will not apply
  • Future Sight is treated as a negative priority move, meaning the Analytic boost in these situations will apply regardless of the user's and the target's speed stats
Hope this helps

How is it with the viability of Stonjourner? I've been using an all-out attacker set with Stone Edge, EQ, Heat Crash and Heavy Slam, Lifo Orb as the item and it seems like it's coverage is good, having something to hit steels, fires and not all lot of water types that can reliably switch in. IT's speed isn't too bad either, but I still see people saying it's bad, while it's in the top 10 of usage.

How is it with the viability of Stonjourner? I've been using an all-out attacker set with Stone Edge, EQ, Heat Crash and Heavy Slam, Lifo Orb as the item and it seems like it's coverage is good, having something to hit steels, fires and not all lot of water types that can reliably switch in. IT's speed isn't too bad either, but I still see people saying it's bad, while it's in the top 10 of usage.
Stonjourner is really good. Scarf is the best set imo with Stone Edge, Heat Crash, EQ, Superpower/Heavy Slam. I've seen lead sash + rocks too but I think the overall opinion is it's best scarfed.

So trying to use a Double Dance set for Noctowl, but which STAB should I use? Hurricane or Hyper Voice?
The former has no pokemon that its immune to it, but it only has 70% acc, while the latter has 100% acc and it just sightly weaker, but it doesn't hit anything super effectively and Ghosts are immune to it (Althought Noctowl could maybe make rooms for Shadow Ball)

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
So trying to use a Double Dance set for Noctowl, but which STAB should I use? Hurricane or Hyper Voice?
The former has no pokemon that its immune to it, but it only has 70% acc, while the latter has 100% acc and it just sightly weaker, but it doesn't hit anything super effectively and Ghosts are immune to it (Althought Noctowl could maybe make rooms for Shadow Ball)
Hurricane is the better choice imo. For anything that "would" resist it, Tinted Lens makes up for it. What you could do is put it on a rain team as an abuser since Hurricane hits 100% of the time in rain. Overall, Air Slash sounds like an accurate alternative to Cane, but in the end, Hurricane is just better.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I think Pu team builder crews would be sick

If we did something random drafts where a group of _ people get a random pool of 1.5x the groups and they have to use and each person has to use one from the random pot, maybe let each team only know their random picks to have counter building fun and luring.

I just really enjoy hype games and think that could lead to a lot of fun

What does Persian run or do? i see it in A- so it must be decent but i am confused on what it does

What does Persian run or do? i see it in A- so it must be decent but i am confused on what it does
It's a good offensive pivot. It outspeeds almost the entire metagame, threatens a very large portion of the metagame with Technician- and Silk Scarf-boosted Fake Out + Double-Edge, has funny coverage options like Water Pulse to handle Carkol, and it U-turns out of its switch-ins, generating momentum in the process.

Why did you guys stop making funny analyses for weak and useless Pokémon in gen 7 like Unown and Farfetch'd and do you plan to bring back those kinds of posts for this gen?

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Why did you guys stop making funny analyses for weak and useless Pokémon in gen 7 like Unown and Farfetch'd and do you plan to bring back those kinds of posts for this gen?
These sort of analyses are usually left until later parts of the generation or even after the generation ends. During the end of Gen 7 we were still working on serious analyses and therefore didn't have the time to make the joke analyses.

I believe those in charge of C&C for PU wanted to have at least short mini-analyses for every fully evolved Pokemon before writing jokes.

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Is there a PU circuit? And if so, where is the thread?
We won't be having an official ribbon circuit this year but still plan on having around the same number of forum tours as if there were a normal circuit. PUPL is one of the bigger forum tours that is starting up very soon (in june) while I believe that other big ones such as pu wcop and slam/snake are scheduled as well.

Last edited:

ADF Test

Banned deucer.
We won't be having an official ribbon circuit this year but still plan on having around the same number of forum tours as if there were a normal circuit. PUPL is one of the bigger forum tours that is starting up very soon (in june) while I believe that other big ones such as pu wcop and slam/snake are scheduled as well.
oh okay. thanks for answering

Are there any strong clerics in the tier? I've been recently getting into PU and find that a LOT of things run toxic. Would be nice to throw heal bell/aromatherapy on my teams sometimes, any suggestions? :]

Reactions: gum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)