Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

No cress :o
But really, why Froslass? It isn't at the absolute highest speed tier, it is fairly predictable, and hazard removal is more common than ever.
Lets just say that it's very difficult to stop Froslass from doing its job. Setting hazards, stopping the opponent from doing it, taking your opponent with you when you die. Though I do think there are ways to play around it.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi I have never played RU before but I want to try it out to see if I like it and maybe get involved, what can I do?

To what extent will pokemon discussions be made? In UU anyone can make one of anything considered viable and just leave it out aslong as the OP is well made and I believe OU has an admin rating system before the thread is fully allowed, so I wondered how it would be done in RU.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
To what extent will pokemon discussions be made? In UU anyone can make one of anything considered viable and just leave it out aslong as the OP is well made and I believe OU has an admin rating system before the thread is fully allowed, so I wondered how it would be done in RU.
This is something Molk and I discussed heavily before RU got its own forum, and came to the conclusion that threads about specific Pokemon, do not generate a good discussion (usually dying off after ~10-15 posts). They also have a tendency to clutter the forum. If you read the forum rules, you can see we do not want to have threads dedicated to one specific Pokemon, if you do have an idea for a thread, feel free to PM Molk, silentverse, or myself, and if we feel it will generate good discussion, it will be approved.

phantom

Banned deucer.
What's a good Tangrowth set? particularly a physically bulky set with AV.
Knock Off / Giga Drain / HP Fire / Leaf Storm | Rock Slide (Rock Slide to nail stuff like Moltres and Yanmega on the switch or Leaf Storm if you want to nuke something; EQ could also work to nail Emboar or Drapion on the switch if your team is weak to those)

I'd probably recommend running some special attack EVs on it though; otherwise, it's kind of a sitting duck considering it can't use Sleep Powder and Leech Seed with an Assault Vest.

Something like a Quiet nature with 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA and Regenerator as the ability would be best. It gives it some decent mixed bulk with an Assault Vest and power to boot. Good luck!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What would you think 44 speed EVs on Rhyperior outspeeds?

Before you answer, no, it doesn't outspeed base 50s, or Druddigon.

It outspeeds base 45s like... Crustle? Armaldo? Dusknoir? Granbull?

Other rhyperior that aren't speed crept well enough?

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Could you please do an RU thread for Shedinja?
To elaborate a bit more, the RU mods (Molk , SilentVerse, and atomicllamas) decided to not allow the creation of individual Pokemon pages since they felt it would clutter up the forum after 10-14 days due to discussion dying off in them. Of course, you're more than welcome to talk about Shedinja in the np thread if you want others to discuss it with you.

I wasn't sure where to ask this so I'll do it here.

Would an AV Qwilfish be any good? His typing nets some nice resistances though his SpD is pretty mediocre at best.

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I wasn't sure where to ask this so I'll do it here.

Would an AV Qwilfish be any good? His typing nets some nice resistances though his SpD is pretty mediocre at best.
Aside from a low SpD, the main problem with an AV Qwilfish, is that it has a huge opportunity cost of losing out on moves like Spikes, Taunt, Pain Split, Toxic Spikes, and Thunderwave. Qwilfish also has an underwhelming attack stat and poor coverage choices outside of its STABs, meaning that it is total set up bait for many dangerous attackers in the tier. If you want a bulky AV water type, Slowking is the best option because it has a really good move pool and SpA backing it up preventing it from being set up bait (Scald / Fire Blast / Psyshock / Dragon Tail).

Aside from a low SpD, the main problem with an AV Qwilfish, is that it has a huge opportunity cost of losing out on moves like Spikes, Taunt, Pain Split, Toxic Spikes, and Thunderwave. Qwilfish also has an underwhelming attack stat and poor coverage choices outside of its STABs, meaning that it is total set up bait for many dangerous attackers in the tier. If you want a bulky AV water type, Slowking is the best option because it has a really good move pool and SpA backing it up preventing it from being set up bait (Scald / Fire Blast / Psyshock / Dragon Tail).
Thanks! I was indeed afraid he would lose his viability. It's obvious Qwilfish's qualities lie in supporting the team though AV Qwil was more of a funny thought.

Allright, got one for the council.

Koko recently banned Venomoth from UU. This meant tit was banned form lower tiers as well, like RU. but with koko's system, he will re-introduce the moth to the UU tier.
Say this happens, will we be able to use moth again since it was technically usable in RU and even NU?

Koko recently banned Venomoth from UU. This meant tit was banned form lower tiers as well, like RU. but with koko's system, he will re-introduce the moth to the UU tier.
Say this happens, will we be able to use moth again since it was technically usable in RU and even NU?
If it is a suspect test, I am not quite sure. But if he fully allows it back into the tier, as long as it stays below the cutoff points, then yes, it can be used in RU and NU.

atomicllamas

No, when moth is suspected in UU it will be like it dropped from OU, so if it is found not broken we'd still have to wait three months for its reintroduction to RU (assuming it wouldn't stay UU by usage, which it probs would).

I am building a team based around specially defensive Gallade because I wanna try out something original. What are good teammates for it?

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I am building a team based around specially defensive Gallade because I wanna try out something original. What are good teammates for it?
If you are using gallade as a wall of sorts, then you are certainly going to want a physical counterpart as well. Alomomola is a good option due to its access to wish which gallade will strongly appreciate.

You will need a moltres and perhaps delphox check as they both threaten this core.

Good luck!

If you are using gallade as a wall of sorts, then you are certainly going to want a physical counterpart as well. Alomomola is a good option due to its access to wish which gallade will strongly appreciate.

You will need a moltres and perhaps delphox check as they both threaten this core.

Good luck!
Well Gallade has Wish himself so a Wish passer isn't really needed even though Aloommokmomomla is a good Pokemon. As for something to beat Delphox and Moltres I have thought about Assault Vest Slowking and I will probably end up using it anyway. Thanks for the suggestions though :)

Well Gallade has Wish himself so a Wish passer isn't really needed even though Aloommokmomomla is a good Pokemon. As for something to beat Delphox and Moltres I have thought about Assault Vest Slowking and I will probably end up using it anyway. Thanks for the suggestions though :)
I understand you're trying to be original, but Gallade just doesn't function well as a wish passer. Base 68 HP isn't great, and even with max HP investment you still aren't healing much HP for anything with a much higher HP stat, like Escavalier. If you use Alomomola for wish passing, it will be much more useful, and like MikeDawg said, Alo can take the physical hits that Gallade hates so much. I feel you will have much better luck trying that out instead.

I understand you're trying to be original, but Gallade just doesn't function well as a wish passer. Base 68 HP isn't great, and even with max HP investment you still aren't healing much HP for anything with a much higher HP stat, like Escavalier. If you use Alomomola for wish passing, it will be much more useful, and like MikeDawg said, Alo can take the physical hits that Gallade hates so much. I feel you will have much better luck trying that out instead.
Well I have already tried bulky Gallade out as of now and it is actually surprisingly good. It can wall a lot of stuff with it's special bulk and has Will-O-Wisp to make up for it's physical bulk. Also Alomoomomomomomla is common and ugly and I don't like it so I wanted to use something different :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)