Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - UU Edition

Offensive Trick Room Cofagrigus:
Cofagrigus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 2 Spd (IVs are recommended by Smogon)
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
Both of Cofagrigus and Snorlax function well under Trick Room and complement each other thanks to their typing.

Other good partners are things walled by Chandelure and Mismagius, as Snorlax is excellent at switching into both and taking them out.

OK, I'm really confused.
I swear ten minutes ago I was on this UU Theorymon thread but when I checked now it's just disappeared.
It says invalid link
Any clue why? Was the thread deleted or something :(

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was thinking that myself...Seems the thread is gone :[

It generated a lot of energy though, had like 40+ people viewing it at once, that's something I never saw on a UU thread.

I'm getting sick of all the hail teams in UU...how do I counter them without wasting a moveslot for sunny day/rain dance? So far my only idea is Empoleon, but all he can do is quad-resist blizzard and toxic Stallreins but only on the switch. Then there's sand, but I don't really want to abuse weather, and besides, Hippopotas is really weak whereas hail teams get to use the fully-evolved Abomasnow PLUS both of Abomasnow's STABs are SE against Hippopotas.

Any other ideas?

I honestly don't find Hail teams to be very threatening, but I do however find Walrein to be the biggest douche ever while in Hail. Since Hail's unbanning in UU Walrein has been the bain of my existance every time I face it, so I've tried hard to find the best offensive counters to it. Here are a few:

1. I'm a very big fan of offensive RD Kingdra:
Kingdra @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Rain Dance
This thing is a real monster, thanks to it's great typing and multiple resists its not very hard for it to get up a Rain Dance, and it's pretty hard to stop once it does. Whenever I face a Hail team and I'm using a team with RD Kingdra I will always keep it alive until I've killed Abomasnow and can get up a Rain Dance.

2. Another option would be Choice Band Overcoat Escavalier:
Escavalier @ Choice Band
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Return
- Pursuit

252+ Atk Choice Band Escavalier Megahorn vs. 232 HP / 252 Def Walrein: 280-331 (66.82 - 78.99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Escavalier Iron Head vs. 232 HP / 252 Def Walrein: 187-222 (44.63 - 52.98%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Walrein Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Escavalier: 59-70 (17.15 - 20.34%) -- possible 5HKO
3. I actually just faced a Hail team, and found that bulky offensive Empoleon handled the team quite well:
Empoleon @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SAtk / 88 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock
Leftovers mitigate the Hail damage, and the only real threat to Empoleon on a Hail team is Rotom-F.

4. Special Victini also hits Hail teams very hard, as most dont carry counters to it:
Victini @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

252 SpA Life Orb Victini Focus Blast vs. 232 HP / 4+ SpD Walrein: 281-333 (67.06 - 79.47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Victini Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 232 HP / 4+ SpD Walrein: 234-278 (55.84 - 66.34%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Victini Blue Flare vs. 232 HP / 4+ SpD Walrein: 230-270 (54.89 - 64.43%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
This is not DPP UU. Dedicated leads are not a thing unless your team can actually benefit from having one. There's a few Pokemon that are commonly used as dedicated leads, but most teams don't use them. As for the "best", it's probably Froslass.

I'm talking about a pokemon that has stealth rock for one of it's moves and the the rest attacking moves (maybe taunt if it's worth it). Would mew/azelf/froslass be the best or some other pokemon?

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
I'm talking about a pokemon that has stealth rock for one of it's moves and the the rest attacking moves (maybe taunt if it's worth it). Would mew/azelf/froslass be the best or some other pokemon?
If you want something with Stealth Rock, Azelf will probably be your best bet, since it's very fast, much faster than Mew. Not only can it use Stealth Rock, but Taunt to make sure other leads don't get Stealth Rock down on your side of the field. An interesting alternative might be Aerodactyl, which also has Stealth Rock and Taunt, and very high speed.

Froslass makes for an all right suicide lead because even though it doesn't get Stealth Rock, it has Spikes instead, in addition to Taunt and a nifty ability in Cursed Body.

So would you recommend froslass or azelf?
I have victini, mienshao, blastoise, zapdos, and togekiss. I'm thinking froslass's ability to spinblock is also a great asset.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you are using Froslass as a lead, it won't be able to spin block at all. Froslass (and Azelf) is often used on hyper offensive teams/offensive teams in conjuction with another ghost (think Mismagius or Offensive Trick Room Cofagrigus). Since your team is more balanced, I think that Mew might fit in better on your team, as it can continually set up stealth rocks, instead of one and done.

Well I just changed my team to victini, mienshao, blastoise, raikou, and snorlax.
Should i put still put mew in? Is spinning really that important because I'm finding blastoise sucks and want to change him for a kingdra or some ghost type like you mentioned?

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Probably something like this:

Piloswine @eviolite
Thick Fat
252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
Adamant
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake
-Icicle Crash/Icicle Spear

If you have a stealth rocker already, stealth rock could be replaced with Stone Edge or Toxic to get better coverage or to cripple counters respectively. Stone Edge is also an option over Ice Shard, but priority is super useful. PTJon7 uses Piloswine frequently, so he will probably correct me, and a more specially defensive set is probably also viable (screws over Raikou completely).

When people talk about bulky Water-types in UU, they often mention that Milotic isn't worth using above the others. Are there good points for using Milotic, or should I just replace her?

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Milotic has reliable recovery in Recover, doesn't mind status as much due to Marvel Scale, and has Dragon Tail or Haze to take care of stat boosters. In my personal opinion, Milotic is great, and I usually don't like to switch it out for anything.

But really, it depends on your team. If you have too many SR weak pokemon, or really need a spinner, blastoise can replace Milotic, as he gets Rapid Spin, and often runs Roar, one of milotic's main niches. The only thing I can think of that covers all of milotic's niches is Defensive CM Suicune, which uses CM/Rest/Roar/Scald, Phazing + Recovery + Same Typing + Status Absorbing. But surely you see the problem with the set; no Sleep Talk means you rely on waking up ASAP after rest to even use your suicune.

So really, if you're using milotic properly, as an OK status absorber and (p)hazer, along with its not too shabby powerful scalds and possibly Ice Beams, and use Recover, you shouldn't need to replace it, unless you need a different kind of support for your team.

When people talk about bulky Water-types in UU, they often mention that Milotic isn't worth using above the others. Are there good points for using Milotic, or should I just replace her?
Milotic is comparable to Slowking, both of them are specially defensive, have great natural spAtk and have access to instant recovery as well as Dragon Tail.
The problems both of them face is the fact that specially defensive water-types dont fare very well in UU. Water's weakness that is Grass and Electric are mostly specially based (Zapdos, Raikou, Shaymin, Roserade) so even that massive special bulk won't protect them from these special attackers. There's a reason most bulky waters are physically defensive: because 90% of the physically offensive pokes can't hit them super effectively (only offensive arcanine and victini come to mind).

Then there is the fact that Snorlax and Umbreon are great special walls overall, making running a secondary specially defensive pokemon mostly redundant.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Milotic is outclassed most of the time, but it has a couple of perks that make it sometimes worth using. For one, it has reliable recovery and a pure Water-typing, so if you are looking for something not Pursuit / U-turn weak and with recovery outside of Rest, then it could be useful to your team.

That said, Milotic's problems are not just the fact that it can't make use of its special defense here in UU. The other thing is that the things Milotic is supposed to beat do enough damage to it so that it is forced to spam Recover, which can kill your momentum and allow something like Roserade or Raikou come in for free. Milotic is really a jack of all trades, master of none Water-type, though as I said, it might be what you're looking for.

RestTalk isn't bad for what it is. I'm not a huge fan of the strategy in general due to the nature of Sleep Talk, but there is some merit to it. Milotic also reaps the benefits of Multi Scale from it, making it extremely hard to kill from the physical side while asleep.

hi, there! earlier on in the thread...

Heavy Offense (as in, early-game set up of screens or hazards, then sweepers) is probably the least potent form of offense.

Standard offense (basically a bunch of offensive mons that break down each other's counters and try to not give any momentum away) is effective...
what's the difference between these two? sorry if it's a dumb question.

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi, there! earlier on in the thread...

Originally from Fat Kokoloko: Hyper Offense/Standard Offense
what's the difference between these two? sorry if it's a dumb question.
While I'm not totally sure what kokoloko was referring to specifically, I can try (note: try) to explain what (I think) he means.

Heavy Offense is basically where you have superfast and superstrong attackers, but don't have really any backbone; you have things that hit fast and hit hard, and have pokes that set up hazards like SR/Spikes or set up LightScreen/Reflect (aka setting up screens). You'd use pokemon like Azelf and Mienshao, pokemon that are wonderful offensively, but just have a great lack of bulk. Generally, it's not as "smooth" as a standard offense either. A pokemon like Mienshao has no immunities, only resistances to bug, dark, and rock, and most attacks of those types will hurt it noticeably anyway. This makes it hard to bring it in without having to let one of your teammates faint.
Also, Heavy Offense is generally hard to keep momentum with; most of your pokes can't take even resisted hits sometimes, how are you supposed to keep pressure on the opponent? Answer: it's nearly impossible.

But that's Heavy Offense. /shrug

Standard Offense is more thought-provoked. It's not necessarily "balanced", but it's more "smooth". One thing I think of right away is Chandelure + Heracross or Machamp (or any fighting type really, I guess). The thing is, Chandelure's main two counters are Snorlax, and Trace Porygon2 (at least if it runs Flash Fire, that is). Snorlax can just Pursuit, but maybe you switch out on the opponent's switch in (complicated, but whatever). Porygon2 just walls your stabs and spams Discharge/Tbolt. but luckily, you have an answer to these normal types: your Heracross or Machamp to punch them to death. (Note: this example probably sucks, but I'm just trying to get the jist of it to you)

Standard Offense is like the team from Criminal Minds: they help each other out to make sure everyone's covered.

TL;DR:
Heavy Offense = lol let's spam glass cannons
Standard Offense = Let's think about all these counters and stuff. TEAMWORK!
(At least, as far as I understand)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)