Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - UU Edition

If the Cobalion was Jolly (which it may have been by accident) and had a Lum Berry/Leftovers (I think it's probably Lum or something; I don't see lefties recovery) then it wouldn't be that strong.
0- SpA Cobalion Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flygon: 200-236 (66.44 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
However, if the Cobalion had Life Orb, and was Naive (aka no SPATK drop):
0 SpA Life Orb Cobalion Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flygon: 291-343 (96.67 - 113.95%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
btw, in the future try out PS!'s Damage Calc: http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/ if you need to see how much damage something does to something else. Verrrrry useful tool ;)
Hopefully I answered your question?
Lol thanks I'm thousandcuts btw. I calc'd it several times but I neglected to take Life Orb off the calc that day for some reason. My item was Psychic Gem of course.

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lol thanks I'm thousandcuts btw. I calc'd it several times but I neglected to take Life Orb off the calc that day for some reason. My item was Psychic Gem of course.
Lol no problem. Yeah- I always forget about the item on the calc too. I guess it's just kinda out of the way :I

On another note, does Cryogonal have any use as a Rapid Spinner? I know it's rank D in the UU Viability Ranking Thread, but it seems like an offensive spinning set would be somewhat viable, especially on hail teams. It's just an interesting pokemon to me.

Lol no problem. Yeah- I always forget about the item on the calc too. I guess it's just kinda out of the way :I

On another note, does Cryogonal have any use as a Rapid Spinner? I know it's rank D in the UU Viability Ranking Thread, but it seems like an offensive spinning set would be somewhat viable, especially on hail teams. It's just an interesting pokemon to me.
I've personally used it myself. It fits well as a Special Wall that actually has a decent amount of attack power cause it's special attack and speed and actually useable and it does also have recovery and haze. I personally found that it has pretty good synergy with Slowbro cause it can tank the physical attacks and fire attacks that Crygonal can't take. It's a bit trickier to use though cause any regular physical attack will basically kill it and it does take 25% damage to rocks (but it won't take spikes damage unlike most other spinners). The SR weakness is probably it's biggest weakness as an spinner though.

So I've hit the reqs, do I just let them sit and wait for the deadline screenshot or do I pm them somewhere? Also do I have to worry about my rank decaying by the deadline? I'm at 2099 ± 64

Also, from what it says on kokoklo's post we can use an old account for the suspect reqs, but can we do the same for the normal ladder?

Last edited:

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I've hit the reqs, do I just let them sit and wait for the deadline screenshot or do I pm them somewhere? Also do I have to worry about my rank decaying by the deadline? I'm at 2099 ± 64

Also, from what it says on kokoklo's post we can use an old account for the suspect reqs, but can we do the same for the normal ladder?
You will have until September 20th at 11:59 PM GMT -4 to reach a Glicko2 rating of 2050 and a deviation of ±65 on the suspect ladder, at which time I will take a screenshot of the ladder to record all the alts that made it. I would prefer if you all used fresh alts, but since the lack of a reset was my oversight, I can't blame you if you use old alts.

Once that's done, we'll go back to the standard ladder with Victini on it, which I will make sure is reset, and you will have 2 weeks to reach a Glicko2 rating of 2050 with a deviation of ±65.
Just wait for deadline, make sure you don't decay. You can, but it won't matter because the rating will be reset.

An explanation is in order here, I believe.
While I've been playing Pokemon for a while, I never really got into competitive battling (partially due to my reclusive nature). While I understand that this can be a serious topic, I also love to mess with people, and Smeargle seems like the perfect pokemon with which to do so. While it has absolutely horrid stats for OU, I love the fact that it can learn any move.

To Smeargle, or not to Smeargle? That is my question.

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To Smeargle, or not to Smeargle? That is my question.
While Smeargle is...very "versatile" by movepool, it has little viability in its versatility, especially for UU. Any fairly experienced player will know that you either A) are planning to do a BP chain or B) are aiming to troll via some level 1 set or C) setting up all them hazards.
Smeargle isn't very hard to take down. a BP chain is stopped cold via phazing (unless you plan to run Ingrain,) or via Taunt, one of which every team most likely carries. Any troll set can be taunted or KOed by multi-hit moves (which aren't that rare- Rhyperior Rock Blast, Weavile/Ambipom Beat up, Cinccino's TailSlap/RockBlast/BulletSeed). Hazards can be spun away or once again, Taunt. (see a trend? Taunt stops 99.999% of Smeargles cold.)
However, if it does set up, it's very dangerous. The ability to BatonPass anything (Shell Smash, anyone?) is incredible. The ability to set up all hazards is pretty nifty too. And admittedly, troll sets can often find a way to annoy the opponent.

But, in my personal opinion, I would say not to use Smeargle. It's only use is for more gimmicky playstyles, and there are often other, more viable options, like Mew for baton passing, a plethora of hazards setters with usable stats, and we have Sableye to troll the opponent already.

However, no one's stopping you from using it if you want to.
(Hopefully this helped!)

PS: While Competitive battling is very serious, there are gimmick sets, troll sets, and the like. We're serious, but it's not like there aren't any fun sets.

PSS: BTW, welcome to smogon! ;3

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
Smeargle is one of those pokemon that can be quite useful, but needs to be played on the proper team in order to do so. It's kind of like Venomoth in the sense that it's quite good when used properly, but it almost has to have a team built specifically to abuse it. That being said, Smeargle has some positive things going for it.

1) It can baton pass any move you want it to, including Ingrain, Quiver Dance, and Shell Smash. Not even Mew can boast that.
2) It's one of three usable pokemon in the tier that can learn both Stealth Rock and Spikes
3) It is one of two usable pokemon in the tier that can learn Spore, which is huge with the new sleep mechanic.
4) Since it can learn Magic Coat, Smeargle can actually stop moves like Roar, Whirlwind, and Taunt with proper prediction due to its positive priority.

I would say Smeargle is at least worth testing, but I can't guarantee that it will be the best choice for what you want it to do.

I don't really like discussing "lol look at how creative i am sets" but Spore/Belly Drum/Extreme Speed/Coverage would probably be the most viable unexpected thing you could do with Smeargle. I think if you want real versatile Pokemon look at Mew, Zapdos, Cobalion or Virizion (I've been running a bulkier stallbreaking set recently and it actually does really well against the right team).

If you just want to do goofy stuff there's a lot you can go with like Snatch or Magic Coat on random stuff (I'd recommend Gallade for this purpose). You could also do stuff like using a Pokemon's off stat or using a weird ability like Specs Machamp or Sap Sipper Azumarill respectively.

If you just want to be stupidly annoying with super gimmicks there are a lot of sets for that but uh, I don't want to take responsibility for some guy running around with you-know-which-cat so I'll leave it to somebody else to fill you in. Welll you can be like kind of annoying in a legit with with stuff like Sub Machamp, Sableye or a Sub Seeder.

If you're new to Pokemon though I recommend trying to play the game legit first as silly stuff can be fun but you're cheating yourself out of a beautiful game if you choose to only focus on the gimmicks. You also annoy other people as a lot of these things only work like 1% of the team (but are complete BS when they do) and in the other 99% of the time, waste tonnes of time. Also, some background in the actual game gives you a context for your goofy stuff, with everything being new to you can you really differentiate between something stupid like Confuse Ray Lanturn and something legit like standard Machamp?

Just wait for deadline, make sure you don't decay. You can, but it won't matter because the rating will be reset.
Aside from what Ace said, I'd also make sure you hit like 63 dev or so. Today I saw my ranking on the alt where i got reqs and it increased from 64 to 65. So yeah, just make sure you have a lower ranking than 65 and you're set.

Yoooooo. Ever since Froslass was banned, I've been searching for a good spiker to take her place.
Thus, I've a question - is Qwilfish redundant with Swampert, in your opinion? I figure that it's not, really, because their resistances/weaknesses are different [Swampert's immune to electric and x4 weak to grass, and can phase/set up SR/have actual offensive presence, whereas Qwilly's neutral to grass and weak to electric, psychic {who cares, really} and ground, and can also absorb T-Spikes and spread some paralysis and make Scrafty shake in their boots via Intimidate], but is there something I'm missing/not seeing here?

If not/just in general, who's your favourite spiker still around?

Yoooooo. Ever since Froslass was banned, I've been searching for a good spiker to take her place.
Thus, I've a question - is Qwilfish redundant with Swampert, in your opinion? I figure that it's not, really, because their resistances/weaknesses are different [Swampert's immune to electric and x4 weak to grass, and can phase/set up SR/have actual offensive presence, whereas Qwilly's neutral to grass and weak to electric, psychic {who cares, really} and ground, and can also absorb T-Spikes and spread some paralysis and make Scrafty shake in their boots via Intimidate], but is there something I'm missing/not seeing here?

If not/just in general, who's your favourite spiker still around?
I don't think qwilfish and swampert are redundant together at all. If anything, they can play somewhat similar, yet different roles at the same time, while offering a nice hazard stacking defensive core. Sometimes its rather beneficial to stack multiple pokemon of a similar type into one team, as you can use one to weaken the checks of another in order to sweep. Since this is more defensive, its still okay, though you'd want a good solid grass resist or two on your team to make up for this (despite being neutral to grass attacks, qwilfish doesn't want to go up against them with its poor special bulk). You also check a good portion of prominent meta threats with these two alone, while preserving their bulk by getting them to stop different threats, while having a back-up if one faints during the match (e.g have qwilfish handle fighting types while swampert handles fire types).

I think that it's good to build a certain amount of redundancy into your team, especially with Swampert. Swampert can check physical fire, physical fighting, special electric, and even chandelure to an extent- the things id consider to be the top 4 threat food groups in the tier right now. Swampert also checks a whole mess of other things like the Nidos and many boosters thanks to Roar. It also sets up rocks. The problem is that Swampert gets worn down really easily and just about anything it checks will be able to do a mess of damage to it before going down. It is not rare at all to see something like a Heracross, a Darmanitan, a Raikou, and a Nidoking all on one team. Swampert cannot stop all of those on his own so he will need some backup, some redundancy in roles. For big big common threats I'll generally pack 2 or 3 checks to make that if something goes wrong, or I need one of my checks for something else I still have a backup plan or two.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Best spiker must be Accelegor because it is so mad as a lead spamming spikes being immune to trick and even doing some damage if it wants to (focus blast will ohko Cobalion). final gambit is extremely useful against the unprepared especially if you can take off 302 hp from anything they surely will be crippled and at least you will block rapid spin for one turn. So Accelegor is my favorite spiker all around.

TPO3

Qwilfish is the best spiker IMO, since it resists 2 of the most popular attacking types in the tier (Fighting and Fire), and I really don't think it's redundant when used on the same team as Swampert. Swampert can check HP Ice Zapdos and Raikou, as well as Flygon locked into Earthquake, which Qwilfish cannot. Likewise, Qwilfish is a better answer to Fighting-types, being able to switch in on them repetitively. The fact that they just hapen to overlap on the Fire resist is a bonus.

For more Offensively-based teams though, I've always preferred Custab Berry Crustle, since it sets up both Stealth Rock and Spikes, and it also has a means of beating Xatu. Smeargle isn't a bad option either, since it's got access to both Spore and Magic Coat, which are both great options. You can also try Roserade, but I'm not sure how well that would work on an offensive team given that if you use Spikes, you lose access to both Sleep Powder and Leaf Storm.

How do you all feel about lanturn as a special wall/cleric in UU? Do you feel it is outclassed or not valuable in some aspects?

Also how do you all do the hide/reveal/spoiler boxes?!

How do you all feel about lanturn as a special wall/cleric in UU? Do you feel it is outclassed or not valuable in some aspects?

Also how do you all do the hide/reveal/spoiler boxes?!
Lanturn isn't bad. Since its the only real wall that had access to volt switch, it's ability to gain momentum is pretty nice. It also hits pretty much everything that's immune to volt switch like rhyperior and nidoqueen pretty hard plus has a chance burn so ground types can't really switch into it.

To do the spoiler boxes use the command hide and /hide (with brackets around them). To name the preview/hide so it doesn't just say hide do hide=thing you want to put in preview (brackets around this) name you want to give it /hide

TPO3

Lanturn is pretty nifty in UU. It gives you a solid answer to non-HP Grass Electric-types, and Volt Switch lets it maintain momentum unlike some other pokemon you might use instead. (Ie: Umbreon) It's also nice to have a pokemon that can switch into Scald with no fear. I feel like I see Bulky Waters with Scald (ResTalk Suicune, Blastoise, Milotic) a lot more often on ladder, which makes Lanturn a ton easier to play.

Lanturn is pretty nifty in UU. It gives you a solid answer to non-HP Grass Electric-types, and Volt Switch lets it maintain momentum unlike some other pokemon you might use instead. (Ie: Umbreon) It's also nice to have a pokemon that can switch into Scald with no fear. I feel like I see Bulky Waters with Scald (ResTalk Suicune, Blastoise, Milotic) a lot more often on ladder, which makes Lanturn a ton easier to play.
I already use lanturn. I just had someone who I beat get upset and call lanturn garbage and I was wondering how other members of the community felt about it. I personally love everything about it.

I already use lanturn. I just had someone who I beat get upset and call lanturn garbage and I was wondering how other members of the community felt about it. I personally love everything about it.
Lantern is a very peculiar poke imo. Access to heal bell scald volt switch ice beam and resists to water ice steel flying and an immunity to electric gives it numerous switch in opportunities.

I like lantern at the height of torn-t. It shut down rain teams pretty easily.

As for the lantern vs umbreon comments i think it depends on your teams needs. Hail teamz might find lantern a better fit since its grass and ground weaknesses are handled by abomasnow. If you choose umbreon youll stack up weaknesses to fighting and bug.

Umbreon is okay at what it does. I saw kinglers comment about baton pass and thats true. But then it loses a moveslot that couldve gone to foul play wish protect or heal bell. So umbreonz job grows tougher if you have baton pass. Switching volt switch on lantern doesnt change too much tbh.

Although umbreon can handle thr better special attacks like earth power and leaf storms...

Lanturn is a nice Pokemon, doing lots of things Umbreon can't do like check physical fire types, Yanmega, flyers, etc. Lots of good qualities. I am always hesitant to use it though as Sub CM Raikou sets up all over it (even if u carry hp ground lol), meaning that if I don't want to lose to that I need to pack another hard counter. Actually thinking about it, in general standard Lanturn can get set up on by a whole host of things. Perhaps a nice bulky offensive set could be constructed?

Lanturn is a nice Pokemon, doing lots of things Umbreon can't do like check physical fire types, Yanmega, flyers, etc. Lots of good qualities. I am always hesitant to use it though as Sub CM Raikou sets up all over it (even if u carry hp ground lol), meaning that if I don't want to lose to that I need to pack another hard counter. Actually thinking about it, in general standard Lanturn can get set up on by a whole host of things. Perhaps a nice bulky offensive set could be constructed?
Specs Lanturn's Surf can even break +2 Raikous Subs. So spreading the "standard" Lanturn more offensively might help in that regard. I don't remember actual numbers though so I don't know whether or not a boosting item is actually needed to not get set up on by a Raikou.

Specs Lanturn's Surf can even break +2 Raikous Subs. So spreading the "standard" Lanturn more offensively might help in that regard. I don't remember actual numbers though so I don't know whether or not a boosting item is actually needed to not get set up on by a Raikou.
You're using Lanturn incorrectly if you're trying to beat raikou that way. The whole point is to scald once or twice on a sub (this varies with how many calm minds raikou has up), then break it on the third turn with volt switch and go into something faster that kills raikou from there. Anyone with a damage calculator, lanturn and a scarfed poked beats Raikou pretty easily.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)