Attack >130 (page 1 hyper offense team)

(18:38:24) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 38/48344 [1391 points / 828 battles]! under alt American Dreamer
(16:12:57) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 45/48045 [1379 points / 2088 battles]! under alt Of Mice and Men

Hey guys,

I decided to make this team after viewing Twash's HO team. It really was anti-metagame stuff and seemed much more interesting than the standard Volt-Turning core or weather. In fact, the underrated sets really made me want to try some unorthodox stuff and more or less that is the foundation of this team. It started with a completely priority based team, but altered its was into what it currently is today. It revolves around luring steels in and trapping and KOing to allow for much easier sweeps for my physical attackers.

453 (Azelf) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Explosion

THe much needed SR setter. Replaced Metagross and haven't looked back. SR + Taunt is an awesome combo. Lets me stop things that think I'm set up bait and allow me to easily get rocks without the worry of anything becoming overpowered. U-turn is a scouting move, and whilst I am opposed to Volt-Turning, works really well in getting momentum. Explosion can be very effective if pulled off at the right times, and due to his great speed, I'll usually be able to pull it out of the bag late game to remove a major threat. His speed is a real asset to this otherwise slow team, meaning that more often than not when something dies Azelf is in to do something.

359 (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Destiny Bond
- Substitute/Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Gengar had to fulfil a major role for this team. Replacing Alakazam meant that he needed to be able to cut sweeps short, handle fighting Pokemon and have great coverage and blistering speed. Gengar does all of that and more. Handling fighting mons is Gengar's bread and butter. Psychic can be used, but since almost all fighting Pokemon cant even touch him, Substitute is probably the superior option. Ghost+Fighting grants flawless coverage that Alakazam got, albeit without the ability to go mixed. Destiny Bond is the glue to this set, fulfilling what Alakazam did, only most times better. Gengars great speed means more often than not I will be outspeeding the threat I am going to Destiny Bond. This means that GEngar cuts sweeps short, much like Alakazam, making him a great replacement. The one major reason why Gengar was chosen over Alakazam was the ability to hard counter Lucario. Whether you risk the shaky Focus Blast or the safer destiny bond is return for gengar's life, Lucario can't touch Gengar. Double priority Lucario's are much less of a threat, easily handled by Dragonite.

604 (Dragonite) (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- ExtremeSpeed
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Banded Dnite is an absolute beast. Another great momentum stopper with both his ability and access to priority. Pretty standard set, and a great check to sun teams. Extremespeed knocks of weakened foes, Outrage has great spammability, Fire Punch takes out Chllorophyller's and EQ can handle Heatran. Nothing new with this guy, but sometimes the old things work best. DNite is also a greate Skarmory/Ferrothorn/Scizor lure for Magnezone. Scizor in particular like to finish off Dnite with Banded BP, which of course works in my favour.

466 (Mamoswine) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Snow Cloak
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Mamoswine is a great Dragon check as well as Sandstorm. With access to priority aswell as great STAB coverage nothing on a Sand team can even compete. EVs outrun almost all Dragonites since they tend to go adamant. Icicle Spear annihilates Sub Gliscor, Sub Breloom, Sub DDnite etc. Ice Shard finishes weakened threats, EQ is great generally. Superpower catchs Rotom-W on the switch for a clean 2HKO. Another great Scizor/Skarmory lure for Magnezone. Simple matter of fact is that if Skarmory is played timidly then opponent will likely lose a lot of Pokemon.

359 (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Sub Charge Beam Zone is a boss. Takes out soooooo many threats to my team including: Jirachi, Scizor, Ferrothorn, bulky Waters with Scald, Skarmory, any steel basically. Thunderbolt is there to instantly KO Skarmory before it WW me. Charge Beam is a great set up move for him, and behind a sub with his great resistances makes him a major threat. Hidden Power Ice was chosen for optimal coverage, and I have never even considered HP Fire seeing at +2 its much more beneficial to have bolt beam coverage. Also Charge Beam is always killing the steel Mon so I don't see the use of HP Fire.

483 (Sharpedo) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

The biggest threat to Rain teams aswell as late game. Unorthodox set in that I carry Aqua Jet instead of Protect, but Sharpedo is usually coming in on weakened threats anyway, and being able to come in on scarf Terrakion/Landorus is a godsend. Waterfall and Crunch are needed STABs and Ice Fang handles Dragonite. Adamant nature was chosen because Speed Boost is already helping in the speed department. Once again Sharpedo is a great lure for Scizor/Ferrothorn which Magnezone can take advantage of.

453 (Azelf) @ Life Orb
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Explosion

359 (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
- Destiny Bond
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

604 (Dragonite) (F) @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- ExtremeSpeed
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

466 (Mamoswine) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Snow Cloak
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Superpower

359 (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

483 (Sharpedo) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Hey :)

As you've said yourself, this team is very weak to Lucario sweeps. In a similar fashion, you are also weak to Jolly SD LO Scizor. To put this in perspective, it can OHKO every single member of your team with the appropriate move after one Swords Dance and Stealth Rock has been set up. This will beat even Magnezone as with max speed, Scizor will outspeed it and destroy it with boosted Superpower/Brick Break. I believe a solution to both your SD Lucario/Scizor problems would be to change Magnezone to a moveset with Choice Scarf.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Signal Beam/Volt Switch

With this moveset, you will able to trap, outspeed and KO both of those threats. It will also provide you with better momentum than the SubCharge set, something that is important when playing hyper offense. 240 Speed EVs give you 356 Speed with the Scarf boost; this will allow you to outspeed everything unboosted up to Pokemon with Base 112 Speed. HP [Fire] is more useful than HP [Ice] for this team, as you already have Mamoswine as a check to Dragons, and it allows you to KO Ferrothorn before it can KO you with Bulldoze. Signal Beam will allow Magnezone to OHKO Celebi and 2HKO Latios, although if you find the move rather redundant you could run Volt Switch for keeping up momentum during predicted switches, although personally I find myself rarely using Volt Switch as most things you'll be switching Magnezone into will be trapped by it.

I think you'd also be better off using DD Dragonite. Whilst it doesn't have the initial power, it is better suited to this team's purpose as it is able to sweep the opponent, whereas CB Dragonite's strengths lie in wall-breaking, but due to its relatively low Speed it is prone to being revenge killed. Here's the moveset:

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed

This way this moveset works is pretty self-explanatory. Since you are using Magnezone to remove Scizor/Ferrothorn/Forretress/Skarmory, you do not require Fire Punch and can therefore run Earthquake for coverage against Heatran.

I believe a better item for Metagross would be Occa Berry. It will allow it to survive certain Fire attacks which are about the only things that will OHKO Metagross. I don't really see exactly what you are trying to outspeed by running 252 Speed EVs; I'd use a bulkier spread to take advantage of Metagross' useful resistances.

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Explosion

You'll still be faster than most people expect from a Metagross, but will also benefit from the additional HP EVs when it comes to surviving things like unSTABed Earthquakes without having to resort to Focus Sash.

Nitpicks aside, this is a very cool team. Good luck!

Hey man cool team you have. I'm not a good rater, but I'm assuming your nicknames refer to your pokes attacking stats? I'd change them cause it's never a good idea to give your opponents more info then you need to. It's clear this is HO, but still...

thanks guys for the rates!

However, I recently talked to someone on the forums and he gave me some really great advice. He knew the greatest threat for this team was Lucario. So he asked me why not try a Gengar over Alakazam? This was really a great idea. Now that I thought about it, the only thing that was great about Alakazam was the:
1.nice speed
2.magic guard focus sash and the fact it had
3.great coverage and could go mixed
4.countered fighting mons.
With this I decided that I needed to adopt Gengars set to cover what Alakazam. With that in mind I decided with this set

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
- Destiny Bond
- Psychic/Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Max speed is vital. Fighting mons stand no chance with or without psychic so substitute is an option. ghost + Fighting is amazing coverage again albeit the inability to go mixed is a bit sad. Destiny Bond is more or less a focus sash so long as the opponent is slower. Best thing is that Gengar is a hard counter to Lucario.

With a significant loss in speed (110 is a highly contested speed tier) I decided that my lead would need to pck up its pace. WIth that I opted for Lead Azelf.

Azelf @ Life Orb
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Explosion

Same concept except I can stop hazards, stop stall, stop set up, can scout and can still explosion! Best of all a speed tier of 115 usually means a free Explosion! Also a much more HO team, with spinblocking capabilities now (even tho RS was increadibly hard to pull off against this team anyway)

The only significant loss for the team now is the inability to stop speed boosting sweeps with as much ease. I will edit these into the OP later.

With all of this, I dont think I will need to change as many sets as listed by some of you guys. Don't get me wrong your input is much appreciated so I will still look into them.

Firstly, Scarf Magnezone is actually more of a momentum loser than it is a gainer. A choiced locked HP Fire will certainly be trouble, so for that option iw ill have to abstain.

DDNite is an interesting concept. I will definately try that, but the immediate power from priorty now is needed, especially with the loss of a clutch stop in Alakazam.

Metagross got replaced soooo....

As for Sharpedo, Aqua Jet is a necessity now, or I will get STOMPED by Terrakion. It actually works wonders and goes with the HO mindset of this team (only non attacking move is Substitute, SR, Taunt and Destiny Bond).

It seems like you are a big fan of boom azelf, so I suggest to run a normal jewel instead of the life orb because boom will do a lot more damage than with the life orb without recoil. Of course U-turn will do less damage that way but that is not important. The more damage you might have done you also will get back due to the recoil damage.
I also do not like taunt on him because if you fight someone intelligent - everyone will just start attacking azelf instead of laying out entry hazards, status or boosting.

Dang, i can say that's a great HO Team in my eyes, though even though i run many HO Teams, (through the Tier of DW OU). And taking into what Aichan said, Azelf could be attacked off the bat when Smart people see it as a lead, they will Suspect a SR Lead with Taunt, and 2 filler moves. My suggestion, i can only say keep SR but add Nasty Plot and replace U-Turn and Explosion with Psyshock, and Thunderbolt. Though you'd have to change the nature to Timid, and the EV Spread to 252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed/4 HP. This is how ur new SR Lead Azelf would look like:
Azelf @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

And if you dont like that Azelf you can always resort to an Offensive Lead Azelf, people usually never expect it, and it can only be killed usually by Priority, here's the set:
Azelf @ Focus Sash/Lum Berry
Levitate
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

An excellent Sp.Atk Lead Azelf honestly, Psyshock is there to Surprise the Living hell out of Blissey, and possibly Eviolite Chansey (Depending on the Def EV's Invested into it.) Thunderbolt comes in on Bulky Water, and Flying Types that would love to stop its momentum, even Skarm has trouble being T-Bolt completely threatens its Phazing Capabilities. Last but not Least Fire Blast comes in as Extra Coverage to wreak havoc on Ferro and Forry, and to also Surprise many other pkmon that happen to be resistant to both T-Bolt and Psyshock (Like Magnezone or even other Steel/Ground Types). Nasty Plot needs to be set up before anything can happen however, and Focus Sash gives it the Free Set up it so despretly desires in battles, otherwise try running Lum Berry, as Paralysis can cripple its speed sadly.

Hello, I really like the offensive base of your team.
One thing I think you might have a little trouble with are sun teams. Chlorophyll Venasaur and Volcarona can clean this team out. I think you should change your Dragonite to a DD set. It allows you to switch your moves so that you won't have to keep switching in Dragonite if your opponent got pass Azelf and set up rocks.

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch

The Lum berry allows you to take a sleep powder from Venasaur and kill it with Fire Punch or if you get a DD up and hit Volcarona, it can heal you if it's Flame Body ability activated. The last slot for Dragonite between Fire Punch and Earthquake is always a little debate but seeing that you have Earthquake on Mamoswine for Heatrans is why I put Fire Punch. Good Luck :).

Dang, i can say that's a great HO Team in my eyes, though even though i run many HO Teams, (through the Tier of DW OU). And taking into what Aichan said, Azelf could be attacked off the bat when Smart people see it as a lead, they will Suspect a SR Lead with Taunt, and 2 filler moves. My suggestion, i can only say keep SR but add Nasty Plot and replace U-Turn and Explosion with Psyshock, and Thunderbolt. Though you'd have to change the nature to Timid, and the EV Spread to 252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed/4 HP. This is how ur new SR Lead Azelf would look like:
Azelf @ Life Orb
- Stealth Rock
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

And if you dont like that Azelf you can always resort to an Offensive Lead Azelf, people usually never expect it, and it can only be killed usually by Priority, here's the set:
Azelf @ Focus Sash/Lum Berry
Levitate
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

An excellent Sp.Atk Lead Azelf honestly, Psyshock is there to Surprise the Living hell out of Blissey, and possibly Eviolite Chansey (Depending on the Def EV's Invested into it.) Thunderbolt comes in on Bulky Water, and Flying Types that would love to stop its momentum, even Skarm has trouble being T-Bolt completely threatens its Phazing Capabilities. Last but not Least Fire Blast comes in as Extra Coverage to wreak havoc on Ferro and Forry, and to also Surprise many other pkmon that happen to be resistant to both T-Bolt and Psyshock (Like Magnezone or even other Steel/Ground Types). Nasty Plot needs to be set up before anything can happen however, and Focus Sash gives it the Free Set up it so despretly desires in battles, otherwise try running Lum Berry, as Paralysis can cripple its speed sadly.
THanks for the input,
SR is the only reason I want Azelf, coz if I wanted another attacker I porbably wouldnt choose Azelf. Also due to the fact Tyranitar is the easiest switchin I don't think running a NP set is ideal.

Hello, I really like the offensive base of your team.
One thing I think you might have a little trouble with are sun teams. Chlorophyll Venasaur and Volcarona can clean this team out. I think you should change your Dragonite to a DD set. It allows you to switch your moves so that you won't have to keep switching in Dragonite if your opponent got pass Azelf and set up rocks.

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch

The Lum berry allows you to take a sleep powder from Venasaur and kill it with Fire Punch or if you get a DD up and hit Volcarona, it can heal you if it's Flame Body ability activated. The last slot for Dragonite between Fire Punch and Earthquake is always a little debate but seeing that you have Earthquake on Mamoswine for Heatrans is why I put Fire Punch. Good Luck :).
Thanks Haki,

Will try DDNite when I get the time to.

Hey bro,

This is a really cool team. However it does have some weaknesses which need to be adressed.

Currently your team is really weak to DD Scrafty. Basically anything which carries Fighting + Dark and outspeeds Gengar at +1 is a major problem. Luckily for you the only one that really does this is DD Scrafty. If its carrying Ice Punch your team stands 0 chance unless you Gengar their Hi Jump Kick down to half health and try to revenge with the rest of priority you have left. Alternatively you can play Azelf more safely and Explode since he outspeeds Scrafty at +1, but at the cost of early game SR.

To patch this up I would consider running a Scarf Gengar with the same move set (Psychic of course). Gengar isn't bulky at all and I don't see why running a Scarf wouldn't help. However the lack of move switching is annoying. If you think you have enough to cover him then your team is rather solid and I don't see many other glaring weaknesses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)