SV OU AV Pex + CB Dragapult Balance Team (1780 peak)

INTRODUCTION

Hi there! This is my first post and I wanted to share the team I’ve been laddering with. I’ve peaked at 1780 more or less and I feel as I get easily checked already and I was wondering if I could make some changes which would help me continue on climbing the ladder. I appreciate your help beforehand, and now let’s get to the team.

THE TEAM

F52BEFC1-9E36-426D-A542-0B70C0DCFCAC.png
Nox (Toxapex) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Tera Blast

There’s no getting around the tanking potential of this fella. By running AV I can bait Taunts and such other stuff people tend to do against the usual support Pex. This spread allows it to OHKO Kingambit with Fighting Tera Blast, survive the oncoming Moonblast from Iron Valiant (it even withstands a Specs Moonblast from full HP) and revenge kill it with a Sludge Bomb. It easily sponges special attackers such as Walking Wake, Dragapult, Hydreigon and such. Thanks to regenerator you can pivot around to check threats for the rest of the team.

D11A07D6-0B62-4441-8548-95BA0A71B7F5.png

F18 (Dragapult) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn
- Psychic Fangs

Dragapult keeps on being a reliable breaker/sweeper this gen, and as now that Chien Pao is no longer around there’s no mon naturally faster than Adamant Pult, I chose to run it CB Adamant in order to dish out the highest damage output posible. CB instead of CS or Will + Hex set allows you to surprise the usual special walls, such as Clodsire, which tend to be sent out against Pult to check the special sets. DD as the prime offensive move for Pult, Sucker Punch to check scarfers and other Dragapults, U turn to pivot around and keep momentum and Psychic Fangs to surprise Clod, Pex and Iron Valiants who are sent out for the Dragon immunity. Tera Fairy allows it to stay in on dragons and resist the menacing Sucker Punch and Kowtow Cleave from Kingambit in the late game.

4ABBE07F-95EF-4A59-ABCC-6AB2E2492615.jpeg

Elon Tusk (Great Tusk) @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

There‘s not much to say about this mon at this point in time. Landorus -T’s cousin does everything you want him to do. I run the standard defensive set, max HP and DEF, Earthquake as the main offensive move, Knock Off over Body Press to take out recovery items from tanks that otherwise are a bit hard to break through and to punish the Ghost switch-ins that come out on Rapid Spin, such as Pult and Gholdengo. Rapid Spin to clear Hazards and Stealth Rock as it is the only setter on the team. Checks physical threats efficiently, specially Kingambit, and Tera Grass allows it to resist Water and Grass moves in a pinch, although I almost never Tera this mon, as the outcome is not usually worth sacrificing the Tera on other mon.

80C6DE19-2C12-494C-A596-926D478B8195.png

Xerxes (Kingambit) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

This mon is cheap as hell. Wait for everyone to die, Swords Dance up and reverse sweep. That’s all there is to it. I run the standard set of Kowtow Cleave, Sucker Punch and Iron Head. 8 Speed EVs to outspeed other Kingambits and the rest in HP and Attack, to make a good use of Leftovers and hit like a truck. Tera Fire allows it not to get burned via Will-O-Wisp or Flame Body and to resist a baited Armor Cannon from Armarouge, who is an incredible threat to this team.

D27212DE-206D-4429-BA78-B24D16492FF9.png

Barbie (Iron Valiant) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Iron Valiant is the special sweeper of the team. I ran CS over Booster Energy + Calm Mind as I find it too squishy to set up almost in front of anything, and the Specs set allows it to break throught the tougher nuts and chip away more HP from the enemy team, allowing Kingambit to clean up in the late game. Moonblast as the main damaging move, Aura Sphere to destroy Kingambit and Garganacl, Thunderbolt for Corviknight and Shadow Ball for the common Gholdengo check on Moonblast and to chip Clodsire if it comes in. It is outpowered by another Iron Valiant carrying a Booster Energy, but Pex is the man for the job in that scenario. Tera Steel comes in clutch when facing another Iron Valiant when Pex is not in good HP to come in (or fainted), and to resist Gholdengo’s Make It Rain and Kingambit’s Iron Head, as well as Psychic and Posion moves.

F64D8E5C-8A69-4642-9183-0B7F372E6F3B.png
Tahm Kench (Dondozo) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Last but not least, we have the Dozo. Absolute physical wall. Ultimate anti Setup-Sweepers. Incredible fishy boi. Roaring Moon who? This guy is the physical wall of the team. Rocky Helmet helps chip away the U-turners, the Spinners and overall physical attackers. Rest + Sleep Talk keeps it healthy, and allows it to come in on Amoonguss’ or Breeloom’s Spore, preventing other teammates from falling asleep later in the game. Max HP and DEF for the most bulk. Liquidation over Wave Crash to avoid recoil damage as I don’t run it with Leftovers. Body Press helps deal with Kingambit, Roaring Moon and Baxcalibur.

THREATS

65250283-F50E-4363-BFF1-09F041C5B73B.png0B1DE7CB-95BA-4170-A06D-F870238F90D9.png

Armarouge & Co. are an enormous threat to this team. That match-up almost always results in Terastallizing Kingambit on Armor Cannon and still losing 1/3 of the HP, then being unable to Sucker Punch due to the Psychic terrain. Hatterene with Eject Button prevents Pult from U-Turning on it. This comp overall really punishes the team.

40740064-AF9A-4FB0-9557-0AB34DF5AED7.png

Garganacl is just disgusting. It doesn’t counter the team per se, but it is really annoying and must be played around carefully. Salt cure prevent Dondozo and Kingambit from coming in on it, and Iron Valiant can OHKO it as it usually runs the SPDEF set.

TEAM IMPORTABLE AND CONCLUSION

https://pokepast.es/bb92b48fe9dd92ba

Thanks a lot to all of you who read this post and comment. If you have any insight on how to improve the team I’d really appreciate it. Have a nice day!

I didn’t mention it but Tera Dragon on Dondozo for resisting Grass and Electric moves, who would otherwise be super effective. I don’t Terastallize it often, though.

At a quick glance, it might be worth looking into switching dozo for tera dark clod. Tera dark clod walls your threats, prevents setting up, and you already have a good defensive mon in tusk. I understand the threat of psychic terrain teams, but have always had good luck with tera dark clod myself. Scary team, though. I'll have to try it out for sure.

hi its a great team, the overall structure is nice and it works well both defensively and offensively. so after playing around with the team, the only real problem i see is the overlap of :toxapex: and :dondozo:
Although these pokemons work on different sides of the defense spectrum ie one spdef and other def, ive had several instances where switching into any one of them worked just fine.

I would recommend :skeledirge: instead of :dondozo: not only do you keep your unaware, u also have a better matchup against iron valiant, volcarona and other things which can overwhelm toxapex; and u can also deal with sometimes annoying threats like breloom or bulky hatterene better.
another thing id like to throw is, u can try out subtitute skeledirge since the team can struggle a bit with :garganacl: and that set also gives us some lovely chip on mons we'd like to be chipped for valiant and pult

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Torch Song
- Slack Off

Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Slack Off

Last edited:
Toxpex SpA is way more fun than defensive, but. I agree with post above infestation build is better

do you really gind yourself needing to ter fighting it often? Do t you already have Kingambit and Tusk for opposing Kingambit?

hi its a great team, the overall structure is nice and it works well both defensively and offensively. so after playing around with the team, the only real problem i see is the overlap of :toxapex: and :dondozo:
Although these pokemons work on different sides of the defense spectrum ie one spdef and other def, ive had several instances where switching into any one of them worked just fine.

I would recommend :skeledirge: instead of :dondozo: not only do you keep your unaware, u also have a better matchup against iron valiant, volcarona and other things which can overwhelm toxapex; and u can also deal with sometimes annoying threats like breloom or bulky hatterene better.
another thing id like to throw is, u can try out subtitute skeledirge since the team can struggle a bit with :garganacl: and that set also gives us some lovely chip on mons we'd like to be chipped for valiant and pult

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Torch Song
- Slack Off

Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Slack Off
You might be right about the change, I see what you mean. I will for sure try out Skeledirge and see how the team works that way. Thank you very much for taking the time to test it and reply!

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cool team! I definitely second the Skeledirge suggestion, without it Volc and Valiant become pretty big problems. Apart from that a few minor changes I'd suggest are:

1) Run Surf over Hydro Pump and Infestation over Tera Blast on AV Pex. Hpump is prone to missing and often times with AV Pex, its more important to get that consistent chip damage in to make progress. Also I recommend Tera Fairy or Steel over Tera Fighting.
2) Psyshock >> Aura Sphere on Valiant. Aura Sphere is pretty terrible to get locked into and nailing Clod / Amoong on the switch with Valiant can be key.
3) A more optional change but CB Pult isn't great in the current meta with stuff like Corv, Hatt, Orthworm, Gambit all resisting your primary STAB. I recommend using a Utility Pult which still chunks stuff with Darts while remaining flexible with Wisp and Hex.

:Dragapult:
Dragapult @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Dragon Darts
- Substitute

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)