Azire Hail (Beginner)

A little history. I played Gen 1, Gen 2, quit for years and started playing again with Black 2. Wanting of course to be competitive I started challenging other people. Without much time I noticed weather teams were very popular. I learned that Hail is my favorite and not only is it my favorite it also appears to be the least used. If there is something to master early it might as well be the hardest. I will apologize that I don't have pictures, all internet usage I have is on my cell phone and through 3DS.

Abomasnow @ Choice Band
Snow Warning
Adamant Nature
172 HP / 252 Att / 84 Spe
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch

This is an obvious choice so I guess all we have to talk about is the build. This build is mostly just for taking out the other weather starters. It does really well against Politoad and Tyranitar while it can take out Ninetails as well just not as easily. This build is to maximize it's attacking ability. Item and all allows for successful faints to win the weather war. The only question I really have about this build is my fourth skill. A friend told me to use it but I've never actually used it in battle. But as I've never used it, I also don't feel I've missed anything else.

Froslass @ Leftovers
Cursed Body
Timid Nature
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Blizzard
- Destiny Bond

This here is my sacrificial lamb. It's primary purpose is to be my spin blocker. The skills are meant to take the enemy spinner down with me. I feel a Spin Blocker for a spinner isn't a bad trade. Spikes seemed a fitting choice as it is nowhere else on my team and if you can, why not? The last skill Blizzard is just a powerful STAB attack with 100% accuracy in Hail.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Rain Dish
Bold Nature
252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

This here is my spinner of choice. I have already replaced Forteress with this Pokemon as I feel this fits better as my spinner. I've heard Starmie is another potential opinion but I feel that Toxic Spikes support is more useful than Thunderbolt support Starmie would provide. Also the Black Sludge heals Hail damage while leaving Leftovers open to use elsewhere. Rain teams also have to think twice about changing the weather as the ability allows for 12% healing a turn without Hail and with Protect this can really add up.

Cloyster @ White Herb
Skill Link
Naive Nature
252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump

This here is one of my power houses. This is primarily my physical attacker. While fitting the theme, taking no residual damage, has good STAB attacks with the extra EV going into SpA for a slight boost to Hydro Pump. I have been thinking about replacing this with Mamoswine but I have not trained nor tested a Mamoswine yet.

Kyurem @ Life Orb
Pressure
Timid Nature
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Blizzard
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Roost

This here is my baby. I am currently using regular because I lack a special attacker that takes advantage of Hail. This build is relatively straightforward. Maximizing special attack and speed to be as fast as possible and do as much damage as possible. I don't feel there is much need for added bulk or defenses due to it's already high stats. I feel my skill choices give good coverage and Roost extends longevity. My baby here usually stays safe until Mid/Late game where it's either make or break.

Heatran @ Expert Belt
Flash Fire
Modest Nature
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Stealth Rock

Now this is going to sound strange but funnily enough this was my last addition to the team. I am now aware this is a staple on Hail teams and understand why. This is where my Fire/Dragon support comes from. Granted on a Hail team it isn't hard to find a check to Dragons. With 100% accuracy Blizzards flying around this Pokemon primarily assists me with Fire support and the much appreciated Stealth Rocks.

Please assist me with ANY changes. As I have it now it's decent. I feel it's relatively balanced without much defense. Weather Starter, Spinner, Spin Block, Attackers with Heatran on support. Also I have all entry hazards at my disposal.

As a last note, I do believe this team classifies as OU and meets all rules including the Item Clause.

Hey welcome and nice team. Nice to see people using the far superior weather.

Unfortunately you have a many notable weaknesses. You have done what most people do when they come to play Hail for the first time. Your team is almost mono Ice meaning straight away 4 members are all weak to the same Pokemon and Stealth Rocks. You may have Rapid Spin but with Tentacruel having its recovery canceled you may find it possibly going down. The synergy could be a little better but hopefully I can work on that if I get to it.

Abomasnow
Personally I prefer a Choice Scarf set on the basis that it catches so many Pokemon off guard including Pokemon like Heatran trying to set up rocks. 354 speed isn't bad. You are currently lacking a speedy Pokemon anyway that will stay around for the duration of the battle that is.

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 Spd / 252 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer

Frosslass
Eh I don't like Frosslass in Ou personally but if you insist on keeping it I guess its fine though it won't be doing much spin blocking as its the type of Pokemon that dies in the first 4 turns.

Ferrothorn is also an option playing a similar role. It sets up Spikes, leech seeds in your face and can stay for the duration of the battle. It may not have the ghost typing but the Iron Barbs are a definite put off and if you keep putting pressure on the opponent to Rapid Spin, very quickly there spinner is going to go down. Only problem with Ferrothorn is it isn't helping with the synergy at all.

Tentacruel
You are currently using the rain team set by the looks of it. Though that's not a bad thing Protect is hindering you. Though Protect may be good for scouting, remember you won't be recovering any health back and you are walled by Pokemon weak to Ice Beam. It also nails Pokemon such as Thundurus-T on the switch in. So all that I would change is Ice beam over Protect.

Cloyster
Honestly what is Cloyster doing. It does not benefit from hail and is only adding to your major weaknesses. If you want a good physical attacker I would recommend Landorus-T.
Landorus-T has a monster attack and an ability that lets it hinder 90% of physical attackers on the switch in. I usually use the defensive pivot variation but your team lacks sheer power outside of Kyurem so I suggest a CBand set.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 180 Spd / 252 Atk / 76 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- U-turn
This set is not on the smogon main pages so I had to make it up but you can play around with the evs. Basically the evs let it out speed max speed breloom while maintaining some bulk. It has the ability to switch into Terrakion and force the switch. Anything taking a CBand equake is gonna take allot of damage. U-turn is for momentum and Superpower nails Ferrothorn.

Kyurem
Its perfect really

Heatran
Your team is not one to be can constantly sponge dragon hits. So I would simply suggest running special defense evs. This allows you to take almost nothing from Special dragons and burn the physical ones.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 8 Spd / 252 SDef / 248 HP
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power

Ok so looking back at all of what I wrote I didn't help the synergy to much XD but either way I would have to change allot for it to have solid synergy. Though now your synergy is a little better and hopefully some of your sets should work better.

For future though hail isn't your usual weather where you abuse it when ever you can. Most hail teams don't have more than one hail abuser as it messes up the synergy. Some teams don't even use more than one Ice type (the one being abomasnow). Its harder to explain come to think of it but I guess you could call it an anti meta type of weather, or more of an art than a weather XD

Anyway I'm done, good luck

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hello.

Great to see someone using something other than the bog standard rain and sand teams nowadays, so huge props for that. Anyways, this team seems to be really well put together, and hopefully with this rate, it can become even better. So, without further adu, let's get into the rate, shall we? Alright, first up, if you're running CB Aboma, I suggest running Brick Break over Focus Punch. Focus Punch without a Sub up is a really bad idea, and Brick Break is the obvious choice here. Moving on, I suggest you change your current Kyurem set into a much more effective SubRoost set over your current one. SubRoost Kyurem is a deadly sweeper, with perfect neutral coverage in Blizzard and Earth Power and can heal off any damage it may take from entry hazards. The other advantage of SubRoost Kyurem is that it can make 101 HP Subs that will only fade after 2 Seismic Tosses or Night Shades. Finally, I suggest replacin your current Heatran with a Specially Defensive set over your current one. Heatrans very solid defenses and a wide variety of support moves, Heatran is a great wall for hail teams. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Good luck and have fun with your team!

Kyurem @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Pressure

Nature: Modest - EVs: 52 HP / 220 SAtk / 236 Spd

- Blizzard
- Substitute
- Roost
- Earth Power

Heatran @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Flash Fire

Nature: Calm - EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd

- Toxic
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)

Hi like Ciel said, it's always great to see good ol hail in OU especially now that snow cloak has been banned. Banded Abomasnow is not the most ideal poke to slap a band on due to its piss poor speed. I would suggest maybe a Mix Life Orb set if you wish to stay offensive or a subseed set if you want to restore Abomasnows hp to keep it alive long enough to win the weather war. also might i suggest a SCARF KYUREM>LIFE ORB KYUREM? You need something fast or else scarf terrakion can come in and wreck your entire team with Stone Edge. Also, I would add a poke with Will-O-Wisp so that you have a way to stop these threats. Maybe Add a Bulky ghost since Scizor also tears this team apart so i would add a CM Cofagrigus. He can cripple offensive threats, and wall them at the same time.

Tl;DL

Replace: Mix Lorb OR Sub Seed Abomasnow>Band

Replace: Choice Scarf Kyruem>Life orb Kyurem

Add

Bold
Mummy
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SDef

~Calm Mind
~Shadow Ball
~Will-O-Wisp
~Pain Split

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)