Back in Black

I chose this name because my favorite Pokémon, Charizard, has finally returned to OU. He not only gained a major stat boost and better typing, but also a badass new look in the form of Charizard X. That being said, let's get to the team.

Charizard @ Charizard X
EVs: 252 Attack 252 Speed 4 Defense
Moves:
Flare Blitz
Dragon Claw
Roost
Dragon Dance
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Blaze (Tough Claws)
Although this set is a bit unoriginal, it gets the job done. Arguably the best Dragon Dance sweeper around, Charizard is a monster. It's immune to burns, gets a reliable secondary STAB (STAB's eliminate some of Breloom's counters), and has great physical bulk. These qualities allow it to act as not only an all-out sweeper, but also as a tank. I use Adamant for maximum power and Dragon Claw over Outrage for the reliability. Roost is very helpful on a predicted switch into a Fairy type and help heal off Flare Blitz damage and possibly Rocks damage. Although it lacks Earthquake, Mamoswine destroys Heatran

Starmie @ Life Orb
EVs: 184 Sp Attack 252 Speed 68 HP
Moves:
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin
Nature: Timid
Ability: Natural Cure
What's Charizard without a Rapid Spinner? I've always liked Starmie. It has fantastic coverage (only walled by Lanturn and who uses Lanturn) and has access to a very fast Rapid Spin. The given EVs are to survive a Play Rough from Azumarill after Stealth Rock and max Speed. The rest are put into Special Attack. Starmie's Hydro Pump + BoltBeam coverage also hits every one of Charizard's hard counters for Super Effectice damage. Here are some Calcs:
184 SpA Life Orb Starmie Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 242-286 (59.9 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
184 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 257-304 (66.5 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
184 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 484-572 (126.7 - 149.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
184 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 211-250 (49.7 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
184 SpA Life Orb Starmie Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 242-286 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
As you can see, even with 184 EVs, Starmie outspeeds and 2HKO's all these Pokémon after Stealth Rock.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 Attack 252 Speed 16 Sp Attack
Moves:
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Freeze-Dry
Stealth Rock
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Thick Fat
At first glance this set seems kind of gimmicky, but Freeze-Dry actually dents a lot of bulky water types (it hits them Super Effectively) and Mamoswine's biggest counter: Defensive Rotom-W. The 16 Sp Attack EVs plus Life Orb guarantees a 2HKO on Rotom-W, so it catches common switch-ins off-guard. It also OHKO's the rare Unaware Quagsire (another Charizard X counter) and dents Gastrodon, Gyarados, Kingdra, and Swampert, because they are x4 weak to Freeze Dry. Aside from that part, this Mamoswine still does what Mamoswine does best. Sets up rocks-which are crucial for Charizard X-and hitting anything not named Skarmory or Bronzong extremely hard.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Attack 252 Speed 4 Defense
Moves:
Bullet Seed
Mach Punch
Rock Tomb
Spore
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
There no way to describe how hard an Adamant Technician Breloom hits. It's Bullet Seed (assuming it hits five times) is one of the the strongest moves in the entire game, hitting 187.5 BP.
It also allows Breloom to absolutely murder the bulky Water types that plague my team (eg Azumarill). It also completes a Fire-Water-Grass core. Mach Punch allows it to pick off certain threats such as Mega Gyarados, Tyranitar, and Lucario, anything weak to Fighting-especially Excadrill- and anything at low HP. Rock Tomb cripples fast sweepers on the switch, such as Latios, a common switch to Breloom. Spore is Spore. What more needs to be said. All in all, Breloom with hits insanely hard and can essentially take a Pokémon out of the game with Spore.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP 252 Sp Attack 12 Attack 4 Sp Defense
Moves:
Shadow Ball
Sacred Sword
Shadow Sneak
King's Shield
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Stance Change
Aegislash. A Pokémon that has single handedly changed the 6th Gen metagame. On analyses of OU Pokémon this Gen you will often see "Use Earthquake to cover Aegislash". For instance, on Pinsir's analysis by "Treeko" it says quote "Earthquake is used to take on Steel- and Electric-types that can take on its STAB, particularly Aegislash". This alone shows how good Aegislash is. In Shield Forme, it is able to tank repeated hits, while King's Shield lets it get back crucial Leftovers recovery and cripple many Physical Pokémon. Shadow Ball literally murders everything. Look at this:
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-D: 164-194 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Yeah. That's insane. Sacred Sword is for Tyranitar and all the other Dark and Steel types like Greninja and Excadrill. Shadow Sneak is for picking off weakened threats. Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak KO's so much of the metagame it's not even funny. Another wonderful quality of Aegislash is that it is a Spinblocker, keeping Mamoswine's precious Rocks up. All I can say is, good job Nintendo, you have truly created a monster.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP 252 Sp Def 8 Sp Attack
Moves:
Dazzling Gleam
Air Slash
Thunder Wave
Roost
Nature: Calm
Ability: Serene Grace
Say hello to the second most annoying Pokémon on OU. ParaFlinch + reliable recovery make Togekiss a complete pest. Dazzling Gleam allows it to hit Dragon types hard. It also deals nice damage to and walls Mandibuzz, a big problem for my team. My team was also lacking Special bulk. Togekiss can tank two hits from a lot of attackers and usually ends up stalling them out with ParaFlinch. Togekiss fills a needed spot on my team.

Overall, my goal with this team was to make a balanced offensively oriented team. Tell me what you think and please leave suggestions.

Last edited:

Skalaylee

I dont even realize everyone in my sig is being sarcastic
I dont think you are going to get alot of rates do to the fact that it is a very generic team!

But i can see something that will give you trouble if it hasnt already and that is
-TalonFlame

Talonflame can rip half that team apart and severely damage the other half

Solution:

Trade Aegislash for Heatran

Heatran Leftovers / %Assault Vest

@252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
or
%252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
or
%252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpA

-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-@Toxic / %HP Grass
-Dragon Pulse

Heatran can have multiple sets that work well and your team lacks bulk especially physical Bulk.
Talon flame cannot touch a heatran.The good thing is heartran works well with your team you have things on your team that resist fighting and are immune to ground.

I dont think you are going to get alot of rates do to the fact that it is a very generic team!

But i can see something that will give you trouble if it hasnt already and that is
-TalonFlame

Talonflame can rip half that team apart and severely damage the other half

Solution:

Trade Aegislash for Heatran

Heatran Leftovers / %Assault Vest

@252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
or
%252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
or
%252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpA

-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-@Toxic / %HP Grass
-Dragon Pulse

Heatran can have multiple sets that work well and your team lacks bulk especially physical Bulk.
Talon flame cannot touch a heatran.The good thing is heartran works well with your team you have things on your team that resist fighting and are immune to ground.
Haha yes I have realized this and I'm thinking about it. The one person this team has lost to had a Talonflame lol.

I typically don't use spinners with CharX and the reason is that if he can outspeed and/or get one dragon dance off, the lost 25% hp won't make a huge difference.

I typically don't use spinners with CharX and the reason is that if he can outspeed and/or get one dragon dance off, the lost 25% hp won't make a huge difference.
Okay so your saying I should bring him in early game before the rocks are up. Idk because sash Mamo beats it 1v1, but if you insist, what should I replace Starmie with? Maybe Greninja?

Skalaylee

I dont even realize everyone in my sig is being sarcastic
I would keep starmie rocks have a big impact in long games even if you you dont take alot of damage from them.You are still forgetting about togekiss not a rock fan either

I would keep starmie rocks have a big impact in long games even if you you dont take alot of damage from them.You are still forgetting about togekiss not a rock fan either
Yeah that's another thing. Rocks and webs screw my team. And the 25 percent will make a difference with a recoil move like flare blitz

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Replace Togekiss with the Standard Rotom-W.
Also, I'd replace Mega Charizard X's Earthquake with Roost. You lose the ability to hit Heatran, but Rotom-W, Starmie, and Mamoswine could easily eliminate it.

Replace Togekiss with the Standard Rotom-W.
Also, I'd replace Mega Charizard X's Earthquake with Roost. You lose the ability to hit Heatran, but Rotom-W, Starmie, and Mamoswine could easily eliminate it.
Defensive or specially defensive rotom? And yes I've already changed eq to roost. I never use eq and I always wear myself down weather it's recoil or rocks. Thanks

Change Starmie's ability to natural cure, as analytic boosts move power when the user goes last, and starmie is very fast. Also, Choice Band robs Breloom of being able to spore and then use an attack. try life orb or toxic orb and poison heal. I'd also change Earthquake on Charizard to Roost- the only pokemon that resists its STABs is Heatran, and most carry a ballon anyways, roost allows for more longevity. Besides, Mamo can deal with Heatran.

Change Starmie's ability to natural cure, as analytic boosts move power when the user goes last, and starmie is very fast. Also, Choice Band robs Breloom of being able to spore and then use an attack. try life orb or toxic orb and poison heal. I'd also change Earthquake on Charizard to Roost- the only pokemon that resists its STABs is Heatran, and most carry a ballon anyways, roost allows for more longevity. Besides, Mamo can deal with Heatran.
I use Analytic because it activates on the switch and Starmie forces alot, but maybe Natural Cure is better. I have already changed Earthquake to Roost. And I have been thinking of using Sash Breloom. My original plan was to Spore and switch but but its never worth it. Thanks!

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Remove Freeze Dry from Mamoswine. Replace it with either Superpower or Stone Edge. I'd lean toward Superpower.
Also, I agree with previous suggestions to replace Starmie's Analytic with Nature Cure and Breloom's Choice Band with Life Orb.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Analytic may activate on the switch, but that doesn't justify using it. Starmie's is already life orb with no bulk, and one status condition takes it down nicely. Besides, he also takes damage from the hazards he switches into to spin and people can predict rapid spins and use almost any move to deal heavy damage. In general, Starmie's doesn't have much survivablility, and if I saw your team in the preview, I would lure and take down Starmie's first, then cripple your entire team with my rocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)