Back to playing after a while off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been off Pokemon for about 6 or 7 months now, and came back to shoddy the other day, due to having swine flu and nothing else to do, and made this Hail Stall-esque team. I have to say, I've been doing suprisingly well with it, and actually enjoying myself much more than I expected to, or would like to. I thought I was over pokemon. ><

Anyway, the Team!

THE TEAM

--Abomasnow-------Rotom-F----------Walrein-------Gliscor----------Tentacruel-----Zapdos
Lead/Choice Band l Sleep Talker l STALLREIN l Physical Wall l SpecialWall l BulkyAttacker

Abomasnow (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch

In the final stages of building this team, I was concerned about the lack of physical attacks the team carried, and so thus, ChoiceBandASnow was born. I've ran Abomasnow before in teams, and never really enjoyed much success with the whole SubSeed setup it can use, and found this set much more useful. Obviously, it's mainly my lead as it sets up hail, but with Ice Shard providing a powerful priority move this team needs, Focus Punch OHKOing any Blisseys / Miltanks etc. stupid enough to stay in and Seed Bomb for STAB and Earthquake for type coverage, I've found it makes a valuable addition, and can also sweep late-game if needed.

Rotom-f @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Rotom-F provides a status absorber that can switch in on things like Breloom and Smeargle that try to Sleep me, and can also switch in on Rapid Spin, not allowing the other team to remove Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes from the field. Obviously, STAB Thunderbolt + Blizzard provide strong offensive moves that cover most types.

Walrein (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 220 HP/244 Def/46 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Protect
- Roar
- Toxic

Okay, this is undoubtedly, my favorite set, EVER. I'm just gonna quote from Dragontamer's thread here, as he explained it better than I ever can.
dragontamer said:
I've been using this Walrein with very much success in ShoddyBattle, very few things are getting through it anymore. I started off a little differently, but for the past day or so, there haven't been any changes to this set.

Wait, stalling in D/P? Yes, it is possible. If all is set-up correctly, you will indeed stall for 32 turns, and there are a few ways to break out of the stall cycle, but I'll get to that later. For now, here's the set.

EDIT: If this thing needs a name, I'll go by "StallRein". Seems like most other people have picked it up already. Personally speaking, I would go with WALLrein, or Walrein for short. :-p

Walrein (♂) @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 220 HP/244 Def/46 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Protect
- Roar
- Surf / Blizzard / Toxic

Defense Tier Analysis

With the above EVs, this Walrein is Defense tier 123.25 and Sp. Def tier 119.67. This is a higher score than a 252/252 Bold Weezing (123.07 Def, 115.22 Sp. Def), but below a 252/252 Gliscor. While it has more weaknesses than Weezing, its special defense is more well rounded.

Dusknoir (a well rounded wall) scores (122.63, 119.68) when 252/252 +Def. Essentially, this Walrein is stronger than it in physical defense, while nearly equal in special defense.

Unavailable in this analysis is of course the effects of Ice Body + Leftovers. Restoring 12% health each turn is quite a massive advantage over these other walls, who would otherwise be 0% as hail cancels out their leftovers, or only 6% in typical circumstances.

Full Analysis

With the above EVs and 31 IVs in everything, Walrein will outspeed 0 Skarmory and Swampert. With the magic HP EVs listed above, Substitute will cost you 104 HP per turn, while Leftovers will give you 26, and then Ice Body will give you 26 more per turn.

So lets do a little math here, shall we? With the above EVs, you hit 416 HP.

Turn 1: Substitute. Lose 104 HP. Gain 26 from Leftovers. Gain 26 from Ice Body
Turn 2: Protect. Gain 26 from Leftovers. Gain 26 from Ice Body.
Turn 3: Substitute again.

26 + 26 + 26 + 26 is... 104 HP. Wow. Isn't that great? As Substitute has a max of 16 PP, and Protect has a max of 16 PP as well, this gives rise to the title of this thread: 32 turns of stall.

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Pretty standard defensive wall Gliscor. Switches in again physical attackers, and sets up Stealth Rock and proceeds to attack. Can Roost off damage, you know the drill.

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Blizzard

Ah, Tentacruel. I'm fairly certain every team I've ever used has used a Tentacruel, mainly because of the brilliant combination of Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin on a Bulky Water. Can absorb toxic spikes, switch in on subseeders to annoy them etc. Fairly standard to be honest, obviously Surf and Blizzard with it's 100% hit rate in Hail.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/228 Def/32 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Can switch in on most things and hit back with a powerful move. Rapes Scizors with Heat Wave, I'm not sure that there is anything that doesn't fear Thunderbolt, and HP Ice combines with them to make an almost flawless attack type coverage. Can also Roost off damage.

ANALYSIS

I used the "Art of Hail Stall" guide to help me with this, and I believe that I have countered all the main threats listed:

• Tyranitar is countered by Gliscor
  • Lucario is countered by Gliscor
  • Infernape is countered by Tentacruel
  • Breloom is countered by Rotom-F, Tentacruel
  • Shaymin-S is countered by Zapdos, Tentacruel
  • Scizor is countered by Zapdos
  • Heatran is countered by Tentacruel
  • Zapdos is countered by Gliscor
My main concern is that I am slightly weak to Rock types, though Gliscor can take the bulk of Stone Edges, and Abomasnow can OHKO/2HKO the user with Ice Shard but, help with that?

Anyway, I'd be happy to take any suggestions from you guys, please rate. <3

haunter

Banned deucer.
I'm sorry but your descriptions are kinda lacking and explain almost nothing about your choices. We don't need you to explain how a given set works (the analysis is there for a reason), but rather the reasons why you chose a given Pokemon or a given moveset\EV spread. If you fix your descriptions, send them to me via PM and I'll unlock your thread. Locking this under rule 3 in the meanwhile:

RMT rules said:
3. Have some actual words in your post beyond your six Pokemon and their moves. Not following this makes your post quite boring to read and rate. All Pokemon should have a good reason for being in your team anyway, so why not post that reason? If you are having trouble with this one, start by giving an explanation for each team member. Why are they there? What role do they serve? How do you get them in? Then, give an explanation of how you would open with the team and how you would go about using it. All of these things help people rate your team and allow us to offer more helpful advice.

This does not mean add one sentence saying "Standard x" or "all-around awesome" after each Pokemon. If you put thought into making the team, you can put thought into posting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)