BH Balanced Hackmons

Just a quick run down, not too in-depth...

Chansey: I think Fake Out and Skill Swap are usually goto picks on Imposter sets, the former for breaking Illusion (assuming no mega/primal evolve) and the latter to shut down an opponent then and there if you can't Imposter.

Rayquaza: Blue Flare over Fire Blast, it's a straight upgrade. Light of Ruin does not trigger Sheer Force, but it will trigger a hell of a lot of recoil.

Zygarde: Should be really running minimum speed for a pivot/Core Enforcer user.

Gigas: No STAB??? Any PH Gigas worth their salt needs Facade. Without it, you might as well be running something else. Your coverage has no offensive presence, especially since Giratina and Gengar, among others, resist it. Also, use Spiky Shield or Baneful Bunker over Protect. Or perhaps King's Shield. Also, Shift Gear over Dragon Dance.

Gyarados: Assault Vest Unaware is.... kinda useless as it'll get worn down and be unable to do its job to stop set-up users, especially multiple.. Gyarados offers almost no threat to defensive Pokemon without some sort of boost as well, so running four attacks + AV isn't particularly great.

Arceus: Still a normal type, so no STAB on Moonblast. Perish Song usually needs to be on a trapper or Unaware.

Overall: The team looks like its just random sets in a vacuum thrown together, as the defensive synergy seems kind of... eh. For example, you have a serious Fairy weakness and nothing to cover it. Offensive synergy isn't great either, as your best bet, Rayquaza, gets checked by Giratina if it has Core Enforcer, since Life Orb Light of Ruin recoil alone 2HKOs you and brings you well in range of a Core Enforcer KO while Gyarados only threatens it once with Knock Off. More importantly, the team seems to have no strategy or goal. I can't tell what it's trying to accomplish other than "these sets seem good, let's go."

I would recommend looking at some sample teams in the Central Resources thread here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/balanced-hackmons.3587475/#post-7094085

You can also find a "Setpedia" to get an idea on where to start with making sets here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...KkPWb51_ahdapkkdvPBdcNihXm5QTgRP8GXLaPTXM/pub

I'd recommend making a new team after that since anything competitive is going to be a complete overhaul of your current one at best.

Last edited:
Bad news for all CritTwo users out there: it will no longer be self-improof, as the Imposter mechanics were implemented incorrectly since Gen6 - Imposter actually copies the crit rate boost. Even without the scope lens - and without a lucky punch - crits will be much more likely for the imposter. However, improofing it doesn't seem to be too difficult with mons such as Eviolite Chansey (can also be your own Imposter), RegenVest users, Ttar-Mega and others, depending on the chosen attacking moves.

Bad news for all CritTwo users out there: it will no longer be self-improof, as the Imposter mechanics were implemented incorrectly since Gen6 - Imposter actually copies the crit rate boost. Even without the scope lens - and without a lucky punch - crits will be much more likely for the imposter. However, improofing it doesn't seem to be too difficult with mons such as Eviolite Chansey (can also be your own Imposter), RegenVest users, Ttar-Mega and others, depending on the chosen attacking moves.
Are we aware of a date when these changes will go live?

Alright I've been thinking about how to use shed in the current metagame. Is a core of shed+mega-mom+xerneas (magic bounce) hazard stacking be a good fit? Add in a Misty terrain Registeel or Giriatina and you have yourself 4/6s of a team

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Alright I've been thinking about how to use shed in the current metagame. Is a core of shed+mega-mom+xerneas (magic bounce) hazard stacking be a good fit? Add in a Misty terrain Registeel or Giriatina and you have yourself 4/6s of a team
Use Gyarados-Mega with Mold Breaker. It’ll help you put hazards on their field (without fear of Magic Bounce), resists the Fire, Dark, and Ghosts aimed at Regi and Tina, while they cover some of its weaknesss.
With Tina, Gyarados, Regi, Shed, and Mega-Mom, and Xerneas your team is complete.

Gyarados with a + Def, - SpA Nature, and Circle Throw, Knock Off/Pursuit, Shore Up, and Spikes works well with Leftovers. Misty Terrain is great for not needing to use Safety Goggles.

Otherwise I would suggest the Mega-Nurse, as Audino has Spectral Thief, Dragon Tail/Core Enforcer, Shore Up, and Knock Off for support. Leftovers works well with Fur Coat or Unaware.

Just my $.02, it’s your call.

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've had success using Magic Bounce Gyarados as Shed's partner. It keeps hazards away and doesn't care about the Mold Breaker moves. I finished it off with a Dragon/Steel/Fairy core for nice defensive synergy.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-729469477 (Did I do A better Job?)

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blue Flare
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Moongeist Beam

Kyogre-Primal @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Origin Pulse
- Recover
- Substitute

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Oblivion Wing

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Volt Switch
- Recover
- Flash Cannon

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Parting Shot
- Toxic
- Spectral Thief
- Defog

Gengar-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

The mewtwo set seems ok but switch focus miss for something else (like set up or other coverage)
If you are running defensive pogre run scald, shore up is better than recover since you take sandstorm damage.
Rayquaza set is bit weird but ok.
Arceus is normal type unless it has multitype, also why run both judgment and flash cannon? If you want a special steel stab for a primary type steel run revelation dance.
Giratina set is ok.
Moongeist is way better than shadow ball.

As far as this is concerned, I’d like to bring up that Dos also resists Sunsteel and Moongeist, and is immune to Photon, all of which are very valuable.
But I’d still recommend Intimidate Zyg or similar to handle MMX cause it only takes one CC or Photon prediction to tear the team apart

r8 my team? in need of help to get out of 1300 on ladder

deer (Xerneas) @ Toxic Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Flamethrower
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast

snake (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Aerilate
Serious Nature
- Fake Out
- Moongeist Beam
- Boomburst
- Extreme Speed

thing (Regigigas)
Ability: Contrary
- V-create
- Leaf Storm
- Fleur Cannon
- Superpower

turtle (Shuckle) @ Rocky Helmet
Serious Nature
- Shore Up
- Haze
- Encore
- Baneful Bunker

Giratina @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Recover
- Sunsteel Strike
- Moongeist Beam

Gengar-Mega @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Normalize
- Judgment
- Quiver Dance
- Baneful Bunker
- Entrainment

any help is appreciated

Is this a good team for BH 1400-1500 on the ladder?

lets not (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
Serious Nature
- Heal Bell
- Spiky Shield
- Metal Burst
- Wish

Giratina @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Core Enforcer
- Knock Off
- Shore Up

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Shell Smash
- Synthesis
- Ice Hammer

Diancie (Diancie-Mega) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- Fake Out
- V-create

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Photon Geyser

Moby D (Kyogre-Primal) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Regenerator
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Volt Switch
- Shore Up
- Defog

r8 my team?
deer (Xerneas) @ Toxic Orb
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Flamethrower
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
Consider running Modest nature. Lovely Kiss over Spore because unlike Poison Heal Regigigas, Xerneas does not carry Knock Off and is better off running Lovely Kiss instead - it is like not your team has Knock Off user anyway. Lava Plume / Earth Power over Flamethrower. Lava Plume wears down bulky foes in long run and neuters AV regen users' damage output. Earth Power is for hitting Steel-types a bit harder as well as nailing Primal Groudon.

snake (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Aerilate
Serious Nature
- Fake Out
- Moongeist Beam
- Boomburst
- Extreme Speed
Naive nature please. Get something over Moongeist Beam. Use Stealth Rock which you can do thanks to Mray's ability to pressure majority of the walls or Precipice Blades. V-create is an option but bear in mind Flash Fire Steel-types are very prevalent at this moment.

Please ditch Contrary Regigigas and use Poison Heal set of Shift Gear / Facade / Knock Off / Spore or Lovely Kiss. Your current Contrary sets don't break anything and loses to Imposter Chansey. Shuckle is unviable and the set you have has 0 offensive presence. Curse Giratina is like ORAS BH's relic material and you will need Core Enforcer somewhere to deal with Poison Heal Regigigas and others. U-turn is also needed so that you won't be foddered by Mega Audino. Slapping in entry hazards + Poison Fang lets your team be a little better against Sturdy Shedinja cores.

Systemically your team does not support Normalize Mega Gengar well; consider using Pixilate Mega Diancie instead of Aerilate Mega Rayquaza, as both Mega Gengar and Mega Diancie have good offensive synergy. Using Mega Diancie means your team has an option to offensively revenge kill Traige Mega Rayquaza lackig Giga Drain. On Shuckle's spot place a Steel-types that imposterproofs your -ate user.

---

Is this a good team for BH 1400-1500 on the ladder?
Consider running Whirlwind or a pivoting move on Imposter Chansey for instances where Imposter fails to activate and you are trapped by moves like Anchor Shot or Thousand Waves.

Run Griseous Orb over Leftovers on Giratina and replace Knock Off with U-turn / Stealth Rock / Poison Fang.

Shell Smash Primal Groudon is the best with Shell Smash / Thousand Arrows or Precipice Blades / Fleur Cannon / V-Create or Sacred Fire. Ice Hammer does not OHKO Giratina at +2, while Fleur Cannon does after a little prior damage.

Run Lonely nature on Mega Diancie so that it has the best odds to OHKO Mega Rayquaza with Pixilate-boosted Extreme Speed.

Consider replacing Sunsteel Strike with Ice Hammer or Spectral Thief, as you already 2HKO Mega Audino. The former OHKOs Zygarde-C while the latter deals with Aegislash.

That Primal Kyogre ends up benefiting Imposter by letting it recover 1/3 of its health for free simply by switching in (more if it stays in and uses Shore UP). Replace this Pokémon with something that can Imposterproof Diancie and / or Mega Mewtwo X.

PM me if you want me to point out more on systemic errors because I have to go soon.

Mega Mewtwo X Skill Link Set:
Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Arm Thrust
- Icicle Spear
- Pin Missile
- Swords Dance
No idea if it's good, just throwing it out there.

Also I’d just like to point out that plates will not change Arceus’ type without multitype, and neither will it’s team builder name or Z-Crystal. This may be pointed out in the OP and I could be wrong but due to what I have observed, it seems to be the case.

Also I’d just like to point out that plates will not change Arceus’ type without multitype, and neither will it’s team builder name or Z-Crystal. This may be pointed out in the OP and I could be wrong but due to what I have observed, it seems to be the case.
You are right, the only way to change Arceus typing is with Multitype. This is on purpose and has been well known for awhile.

If you want self improof attackers then you can check out the resources page but in general the common ones are spooky gar, ph users (recovery and sleep), unburden users, sash, trapping+bulk

imposter chansey counter? using mega tyranitar rn but its not working so well
There are also users that improof each other in a core. Currently, I use a four pokemon core of

Pixiliate Diancie (Checked by Soundproof MBro) (as Diancie opted for anti steel measures over pivoting)
Perish Trapper MBro (Checked by Spooky Gar)
Spooky Gar (Checked by itself and Unaware MGyara)
Unaware MGyara (Checked by MDiancie)

These pokemon are a good example of how pokemon with many varying roles can be integrated to check Diancie.

Sorry for bad formatting/quick write up, strapped for time.

There are also users that improof each other in a core. Currently, I use a four pokemon core of

Pixiliate Diancie (Checked by Soundproof MBro) (as Diancie opted for anti steel measures over pivoting)
Perish Trapper MBro (Checked by Spooky Gar)
Spooky Gar (Checked by itself and Unaware MGyara)
Unaware MGyara (Checked by MDiancie)

These pokemon are a good example of how pokemon with many varying roles can be integrated to check Diancie.

Sorry for bad formatting/quick write up, strapped for time.
whats spooky gar? spooky plate gengar? also, what would be a good counter for a stat boosted chantey like if it imposters my contrary regi

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
whats spooky gar? spooky plate gengar? also, what would be a good counter for a stat boosted chantey like if it imposters my contrary regi
Prankster/Unaware: Haze, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, Spore, Heart Swap, Topsy Turvey.

Unaware also means you can use Circle Throw, Dragon Tail, Whirlwind.

If you use Heart Swap, use a Normal Type like Arceus in case your Regi uses Spectral Thief. Dark Prankster users like Sableye-Mega could be used since they are Imposterproofed against Prankster Heart Swap/Topsy Turvey.

Ensure your Unaware user resists Sunsteel Strike/Photon Geyser or that it has strong HP/defenses (Zygarde-Complete), if your Regi uses it. This way it won’t switch into the ability-immune Attack and take full damage because at least it’ll be resistant.

Otherwise, rely on typing alone: Examples include Flash Fire Aegislash/Eviolite Doublade
(Immune to Superpower, V-Create, and resists either Sunsteel Strike or Photon Geyser).

If you don’t pack Photon/Sunsteel Strike then you could also use Sturdinja.

Giratina with Fur Coat or Unaware works well (Circle Throw for Imposterproofing/Dragon Tail)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)