ORAS OU Balanced M-Venusaur Team! (FWG Core)

Hey raters. Firstly, I'm submitting this RMT mainly for team-building help, rather than to show off what I've created. I know this team is no where near perfect, but I think there's some potential in it. I've been playing with this team for a couple of months now and have tried my best to tweak it to perfection, but it seems like every time I make a change it doesn't perform the way I want it to. I've been laddering this team in the ranks of 1400-1500, with a peak at 1490-ish.

Originally this team was built around a FWG core consisting of Heatran, Mega Venusaur and Suicune. I'll include the very original list below so you can see where I started:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Roost

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Over time this team evolved, shifting to the meta and whatnot, but the major theme (and four of the pokemon) stayed the same. I'm not sure if I'm being too stubborn, as I feel like for this team to get better I should've changed more than two of the six overtime, but this is the current version of the team:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Venusaur is the reason I wanted to make this team in the first place. I think currently she is worse than when I first made this team (with the likes of Lati@s becoming more popular as well as other Psyshock users) but I do think she still fits the role well in this team. I kept switching between sets on Venusaur, because with the defensive set (Leech Seed>HP Fire) I found I was just walled out by current OU threats like Scizor and Ferrorthorn, and depending what their team consists of some people were using those as their Venusaur check. I know that I now have other checks for those kinds of Pokemon, so maybe switching back to the bulky Leech Seed variant is the way to go.

--

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Landorus hasn't changed between the two lists in this thread, but I have changed him a few times in between. I tried playing with the bulky SR variant (with Heatran then getting changed to a more offensive version, more of that below) but I found the Scarf variant to be much more effective. It provides me with a nice revenge killer, Intimidate threat and a scouting lead. One thing I don't like about Scarf Landorus is the awkwardness of Knock Off, as it's not the best move to get locked into, so I usually just throw it out when it can kill, and I U-Turn when I'm predicting a switch. Is there any problems with that style of play and should I be throwing out Knock Offs more frequently?

--

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Bisharp is the primary sweeper of the team. I only have one set up sweeper in the team so I'm usually investing a lot into him if I can't out value the opponent with the rest of my team. I would love to fit Pursuit on him, but I think the current moveset is too valuable to change, although I would consider moving Knock Off for it (I actually haven't tested that). I opted for Black Glasses over Life Orb becuase usually in my games once I get a SD up it's usually irrelevant to get the extra LO damage, and I felt like it made my midgame kills and switches a lot less impactful - especially since I don't have a spinner. Also, I would like opinions on the Bisharp EV spread since I don't think 252 Spe Jolly is the way to go, but I don't know the specifics of what threats I need to outspeed and whatnot.

--

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

This is basically a standard defensive Heatran, although I did opt to go for Roar instead of Toxic, just because I found some set up sweepers to be a hassle (sometimes you get Talonflames stacking up SD's against him for example) and I do think generally Roar can be useful in scouting. Heatran has changed a lot since the start as well. Usually when I changed Landorus to a non scarf variant, I was changing Heatran around into a more attacking based wallbreaker as well. On the more offensive sets I was using Air Balloon with a moveset of Substitute, Magma Storm, Earth Power and Flash Cannon. I think the set was quite strong in the right scenario, but it turned out to be quite inconsistent. It is something I would love to try again but only when the balance is right. I think I'm just used to the defensive set, but I don't know if it's the best option. I think Heatran is defiantly nice on this team, but whether or not this set is right I'm unsure. I think if you guys could help me with this one it would turn out much better.

--

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Rotom is the newest addition to the team, and he has changed the team dynamic quite a bit. Before Rotom, I was using more offensive water based threats such as Starmie and Manaphy, but I found that they were not providing enough switch-in potential. I really like having a Volt Switcher on the team, since my playstyle suits switching into an advantage, and Rotom can do this well since if you predict the opponent to do that you may be able to surprise them with a Pump or WoW. I don't really like Pain Split, but since Rotom is quite new to the team I haven't tested anything else yet.

--

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled
- Focus Blast

Clefable is also a quite new addition to the team, and was added because I was having a lot of trouble with Kyurem-B and also lacked a Special Attacking threat. I think so far she has performed quite well, being able to deal with threats I previously couldn't deal with. I think Magic Guard is also very relevant here because I don't have a spinner, and I can eat up Scalds and WoW's and whatnot and threaten a revenge kill to some of the common users. Also I really like the coverage Clefable has to offer, and I think this set is a little lesser used, so it can be unexpected as well.
-----

So that's the team. Like I said I'm quite desperate for help as I feel that this team could be quite strong with a few minor tweaks. Anyway, if you actually read this all thank you, and if you need any clarifications of anything just reply here and I'll be happy to respond. I look forward to the suggestions and please, don't be too harsh :)

And just for interest sake, here's a list of some of the Pokemon I've tried:
Manaphy, Klefki, Azumarill, Latios, Talonflame, Starmie, Mandibuzz, Suicune, Keldeo

And some that threaten me (and more that I haven't yet identified):
Amoongus, Tornadus-T, Kyurem-B, Hoopa-U

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Solid team, but there are a few set tweaks that I recommend to help improve the overall flow of the team.

Even though you have HP fire venusaur, fast SD mega scizor is a massive threat to this team. Heatran checks slow variants well, but fast variants can simply superpower you into oblivion, which can open a hole in your team to something else.

To remedy this, a simple EVS change for your heatran would help a lot. 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe with a Timid Nature outspeeds all mega scizor variants, as well as some other bulkier mons with higher speed tiers. Toxic over roar could help with wearing down bulky waters like rotom and slowbro, but keeping roar is perfectly fine since talonflame can be annoying.

The second change I recommend is making clefable a calm mind variant. Clef is a solid mon in itself, but the set you have right now doesn't play to its full strengths. By making clef a CM variant, it gives you a solid wincing vs the bulkier teams that bisharp is unable to break by itself. A moveset of calm mind / soft boiled / moonblast / thunder wave suits your team perfectly. Thunder wave in particular nails switch-ins like scizor, skarmory, and heatran, which helps bisharp break them through the speed loss and occasional full paras. As for the EVs, a spread of 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD with a calm nature checks electric types while also handling torn t and kyubes really well.

Other than that, I don't have any other suggestions at the moment. Good luck with the team.

Solid team, but there are a few set tweaks that I recommend to help improve the overall flow of the team.

Even though you have HP fire venusaur, fast SD mega scizor is a massive threat to this team. Heatran checks slow variants well, but fast variants can simply superpower you into oblivion, which can open a hole in your team to something else.

To remedy this, a simple EVS change for your heatran would help a lot. 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe with a Timid Nature outspeeds all mega scizor variants, as well as some other bulkier mons with higher speed tiers. Toxic over roar could help with wearing down bulky waters like rotom and slowbro, but keeping roar is perfectly fine since talonflame can be annoying.

The second change I recommend is making clefable a calm mind variant. Clef is a solid mon in itself, but the set you have right now doesn't play to its full strengths. By making clef a CM variant, it gives you a solid wincing vs the bulkier teams that bisharp is unable to break by itself. A moveset of calm mind / soft boiled / moonblast / thunder wave suits your team perfectly. Thunder wave in particular nails switch-ins like scizor, skarmory, and heatran, which helps bisharp break them through the speed loss and occasional full paras. As for the EVs, a spread of 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD with a calm nature checks electric types while also handling torn t and kyubes really well.

Other than that, I don't have any other suggestions at the moment. Good luck with the team.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I did have a lot of problems with Superpower Scizor, so I think I will try these out. I like the idea of Max Speed Heatran while still keeping a defensive set, as for Toxic, I'll probably test that out some more and see how we go. I like the idea of CM Clef as well, although is the lack of coverage going to be a problem? I had some games where Clef was getting KOs with Focus Blast and Fire Blast in the mid game where they would just switch into the likes of Scizor or Ferrothorn in attempt to wall her. Never the less, I'll test it and see how I go. Thanks for the response!

EDIT: Having some problems with Charizard-Y and SD Gliscor, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can beat those?

Last edited:
Ehy nice team. This team is really solid but I think that there are things to improve. I agree with Clone that mega Scizor (offence) is a problem for this team, but I think that Magma Trapper>Defensive This team haven't a really Stallbreaker and pokemon such a Chansey are really annoying for the team. Magma Storm Heatran help you vs this problem and give you a good support against Scizor.
Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Lopunny and Kyurem are really problem for this team, my suggest is to change Calm Mind Clefable>This Clefable. Calm Mind Fable give you a second wincon at the team, the different spread is for most of the time, Evoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Kyurem, latios and thundurus. Ah and check the electric types and give you a good Thunder Wave support.
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Summary of the changes:
  • Change the set and spread on
  • Change the set and spread on
Team Complete:
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Hope help you and gl with the team! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)