ORAS OU Balanced Offense - Most Standard Team Ever! - Peak 1603

Hi, everyone!

I don't even know where to start... I usually suck at teambuilding, but this time I feel that I really have outdone myself. So far I dwelled in the ranks of the low 1200s, but this time I peaked sky high (not very demanding, huh?)

Anyway, the idea was to create a team with perfect defensive synergy, covering each other's weaknesses and being able to deal with the incoming threat immediately at the same time, based on my offensive core, which is Assault Vest Bisharp along with a classic Gengar and Mixed Thundurus-I. This team is great at what it is supposed to do, but what it lacks is that final "oomph" and the ability to deal with certain threats that I will cover later. But first, let's have a look at my awesomeness squad, shall we?

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 136 SDef / 124 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

Good ol' Standard Special Defensive Heatran... this is usually my lead pokemon! Heatran is a vital member to this team, as it is my Stealth Rock setter, Talonflame counter (Toxic+Protect+Brave Bird recoil), semi-reliable Fairy check and special tank in general. As I said, Protect + Toxic is evil, Lava Plume punishes incoming Rotom-Ws and Azumarills trying to shoo it away. Speed EVs are strange at first glance, but hitting 220 Speed is great for Toxicing Rotom-W, stomaching a Hydro Pump, and stalling it to death with Protect.

Venusaur (F) @ Venusaurite
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

The next brick in my defensive wall: Mega-Venusaur, your allround-defensive pokemon of choice! I went for the physically defensive build with 16 Speed EVs, outspeeding slower Rotom-W variants. Although being physcally defensive, it is still very able to take Hydro Pumps, Thunderbolts, Volt Switches and the likes pretty good. The moveset is pretty standard, except for Sleep Powder. Most people go for Leech Seed, but it's so awesome to put that incoming Talonflame asleep. Giga Drain kills Quagsire and random Water tanks and is reliable recovery, together with Synthesis. Sludge Bomb beats Fairies, Celebi, Mega-Sceptile and friends.

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Rounding off my defenses, Sylveon provides my offensive pokemon with crucial Wish support, and removes those Will-O-Wisp or Scald burns from Mega-Venusaur (as well as any status ailment) with Heal Bell. Furthermore, Protect + Wish is semi-reliable recovery, while Pixilated Hyper Voice doesn't turn Sylveon into Taunt bait and smacks random Fighting types, Dragons and frail offensive pokemon for heavy damage.

Bisharp (M) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 192 HP / 220 Atk / 96 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Bisharp is the bridge between defense and offense in my team. I opted for the standard Assault Vest Pursuit trapper set. First target is of course Lati@s, as well as any other Psychic type trying to escape. Iron Head adds a little coverage against Tyranitar and Fairies, while Sucker Punch is important for faster foes like Gengar, Starmie, Alakazam, non-Sub Mega-Sceptile and weakened random Speed boosted pokemon.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

A very traditional approach of a Gengar set, while abusing the great typing for defensive synergy. Gengar switches into Mach Punches, Earthquakes and Bodyslams and is able to defeat most of their respective users, or punish the switch-in with Life Orb boosted attacks. Taunt blocks stuff like Substitute from Kyurem-B, Stealth Rock from Heatran and Ferrothorn and random statuses while the rest of the moveset is self-explanatory. Sludge Wave and Shadow Ball for Fairies and Psychics, respectively, as well as STAB. Focus Blast, while the accuracy is shaky, gives much needed coverage against Heatran, Tyranitar and Bisharp.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SAtk / 252 Spd
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Finally, the original star of the team. I wanted this to be my win condition, but instead Thundy is more like a glue, adding versatility to my team, catching Thunder Waves like a champ. Mixed Thundurus became a rare sight these days, and I don't know why: while you fake a special set by spamming Thunderbolt, you can nail incoming Heatrans and Tyranitars with Superpower, or OHKO (!) Lati@s after Stealth Rock damage with the given attacking EVs with Knock Off. Hidden Power Ice adds coverage for Gliscor, Hippowdon and Dragons.

Now, the problem with the team is, it got destroyed regulary by some very specific threats (which we will see in a second). The other problem is, this team lacks big offensive power. While it has an offensive approach, I am not able to put too much pressure on my opponent most of the time and I have to play very careful [don't get me wrong - playing careful and patiently are key elements of this team, slowly waiting for an opportunity to attack, while whittling down your opponent], and since every member of the team has a vital role, I can not afford losing one of them early-game.

Threat list:

• Rain Teams - Rain teams are a big nuisance, since I have no tools of dealing with the likes of Mega-Swampert and Kingdra when Mega-Vensaur and/or Sylveon are weakened or even defeated.
  • Tornadus T - Especially Superpower variants keep pissing my off every day. And since most of them are present on rain teams... you get the deal...
  • Scarfed attackers - Most hard hitting, scarfed pokemon are simply hard to switch into, due to my team not being reliant on prediction. Especially scarfed Excadrill makes my head ache...
  • Boosters - ...like Mega-Charizard X, Mega-Pinsir, Dragonite (Dragon Dancers in general...) they get one boost = gg most of the time
  • CroCune and Mega-CroBro - Calm Mind Suicune and Mega-Slowbro are the greates b**ches on the planet. Period.
  • EDIT: Priority users - sometimes priority users like CB-Scizor, Azumarill and Crawdaunt make trouble, but not a major problem
  • EDIT: Hazard control - my team has no space for Defoggers and Spinners, and I even got overwhelmed sometimes by hazard stacking teams
All in all, I am very proud of this team so far, but I guess I just lack creativity figure out how to cover to remaining weaknesses, so I hope you guys can help me out! Any constructive criticism is welcome!

Furthermore, I am not a native English speaker, so if you have any advice on style, grammar etc. let me know (since I study Anglistics, I have to practice whenever I can...)

Peace! :D

Last edited:
hey, got a couple suggestions :)

av azumarill>sylveon is the first change id like to suggest for this team. while azu lacks lacks recovery, it helps handle some pretty big threats to your team, such as heatran, charizard-x, and rain teams. it also creates a FWG core alongside heatran and venusaur! heres the set
Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

these last two notes are just nitpicks, but change gengars hp ivs to 29, as it reduces life orb recoil. thundurus' ivs also make hp flying :o

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man nice balance team overall, Your team struggle like a lot against opposing spedef Heatran because Superpower/Focus Blast are the only super effective moves to hit it and doesnt even kill, on top of that had free switch ins against Venu/Sylveon/Heatran and can spread burn on your team, another issue i've see is u lack of speed control that means set up sweepers or just fast sweeper have a kill every time they in like Torn-T, DD Gyarados, Kazam, etc. Also u lack of hazard control + passive team leave you vulverable to wallbreakers like Metagross Mega or loppu. now let see my suggestions
  • I think u should change Earth Power > Protect on Heatran and Stone Edge > Toxic, i mean toxic is really usefull for fat mons but usually that fat mons are bulky water and Venu can handle those. SE give u a solid answer to talonflame because now the Stallbreaker set is really popular so u can boped straigh with SE also help u agaisnt ZardY. Earth Power is for opposing heatran in general, and u only need 88Evs on Speed no more than that imo this evs allow u to hit 210 which is all speed u need to hit another heatrans and rotoms to extend.
  • To relieve the Set up sweeper change ur thundurus to Prankster > Defiant and put T-wave > SuperPower / Knock Off Priority t-wave is always nice to cripple fast mons and then revenge it with gengar or another teammate.
  • Another change is Skarmory > Sylveon , Skarmory give u hazard control and check a lot of the meta rn two, like Metagross, Loppu, altaria, scizor etc. althought ur team is overprepare for fairies, ill leave u the set down below.
  • And last that Evs spread on bish doesnt acomplish nothing so ill leave u another evs spread too down below.
  • Also u should try Leech Seed / Hidden Power [Fire] > Sleep Powder, HP fire is just in case some fast scizor get out of control and deal better with some ferros, leech seed is just for annoy your opponent and stall out some mons
Skarmory (M) @ Rocky Helmet / Shed Shell / Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Taunt / Whirlwind
- Defog
- Counter / Brave Bird

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 36 HP / 152 Atk / 144 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

This ev spread allow u to survive 2 HP fire from LO Latios After rocks and trap more easily
hope i help u man and gl

Thanks for replying guys!

astroboy AV Azu > Sylveon is never going to happen, since this would break my defensive core. It's not that Azu is a bad pokemon per se but trading my Sylveon for it does not make sense at all, since they have different roles. Still, thanks for the HP IV hint for Gengar... and Thundy's IVs make HP Ice o.O

DennisEG The Toxic + Protect combo has helped me a lot in the past, and using Stone Edge and Earth Power just to cover some threats that the rest of my team can deal with is probably not worth it. Thanks for the hint with the Speed EVs, though, I put the remaining EVs into SpD for bulk.
Concerning my setup poke-problem: I can carefully play around most threats, but the only things which make me paranoid are CroCune, Mega Slowbro (with CM) and Mega Charizard X. I need some phazing on my team, but I really don't know how to keep the balance and synergy in my team, while adding phazing tools. I thought about dropping AV Bisharp for something else, but I don't know what.
Skarmory > Sylveon... see above :P I need to keep the role distribution + defensive synergy in my team. If you can give me some more advice please keep that in mind.
And Sleep Powder is just too awesome to pass up, Heatran and Venu can handle Ferro and Scizor well, respectively.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for replying guys!

astroboy AV Azu > Sylveon is never going to happen, since this would break my defensive core. It's not that Azu is a bad pokemon per se but trading my Sylveon for it does not make sense at all, since they have different roles. Still, thanks for the HP IV hint for Gengar... and Thundy's IVs make HP Ice o.O

DennisEG The Toxic + Protect combo has helped me a lot in the past, and using Stone Edge and Earth Power just to cover some threats that the rest of my team can deal with is probably not worth it. Thanks for the hint with the Speed EVs, though, I put the remaining EVs into SpD for bulk.
Concerning my setup poke-problem: I can carefully play around most threats, but the only things which make me paranoid are CroCune, Mega Slowbro (with CM) and Mega Charizard X. I need some phazing on my team, but I really don't know how to keep the balance and synergy in my team, while adding phazing tools. I thought about dropping AV Bisharp for something else, but I don't know what.
Skarmory > Sylveon... see above :P I need to keep the role distribution + defensive synergy in my team. If you can give me some more advice please keep that in mind.
And Sleep Powder is just too awesome to pass up, Heatran and Venu can handle Ferro and Scizor well, respectively.
Well thundy deals with +1 Cune/Bro if it is at full, and respect Zard X u can priority t-wave as i suggested and then revenge it !, the only phazer that can fit ur team is roar Tran but loses to the most common set up mons anyway !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)