SV OU Balanced OU team at 1500+.

The first three Pokemon are the defensive half, which are my own choosing. The last three are almost-all taken from a featured SV OU RMT where the player's full team was Dragapult/Iron Valiant/Mscarada/Volcarona/Kingambit/Baxcalibur. Using that team as well as this version I'm able to reach 1500 and stay for a while.

(Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Defensive 'mon 1/3. Handles Dragonite and Pelipper. Covers Garganacl's weaknesses.

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Salt Cure
- Explosion
- Recover

Defensive 'mon 2/3. Opposing Pokémon with Substitute are a problem for signature move Garganacl. I want to remove the Sub and myself for better positioning, so I added Explosion as I was never using that moveslot otherwise. Because of decisions like this, my playstyle is treating this team like a pure HO team that looks like a balanced team in the outside. Nature/EVs is at a point where I squeeze one extra point of Defense, and I do so because nothing on the defensive core is a pure counter to Mscarada, and I guess even if it does kill me I then assume its Choiced and use that info on the next turn. I don't mind being attacked by it just to get one huge hit off and then have switch initiative.

Stop Dog Attacks (Dondozo) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Dondozo is the Pokemon with the least direction on the team, yet somehow, it works. It softens the blows from physical attackers that have set up just enough to make them switch so I can do the sweeping later myself. I have not used Rest/Sleep Talk ONCE or at least not that I can recall it mattering. I used Tera Grass only exactly one time against Amoonguss when it didn't matter. This Pokemon can be improved, especially in the last two moves. Maybe a Tera Blast? The motivation to not use RestTalk is that it's preferable for my own Pokémon to die to give myself switch initiative instead of risking losing a turn later. Finally, having two Water types means Ting-Lu can't even Whirlwind me into something preferable for it.

Dragapult @ Light Clay
Ability: Cursed Body
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Dragon Darts
- Curse

Offense 1/3.
Curse is a great problem solver and self-removal move for good positioning. Moves, item, and ability are all the same as in the original featured HO team.
8 Def lessens the damage from opposing Dragon Darts, and dropping to 248 HP costs nothing as this is an odd number and super-effective Dragon Darts will do even-numbered damage.

Ra Phoenix Mode (Volcarona) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 112 Def / 136 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Tera Blast
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

Offense 2/3. After some playing around with my defensive core, Dragapult's screens and Volcarona Quiver Dance are most sufficient to sweep entire teams.
Tera GROUND is taken from the original featured HO RMT with Dpult-Volcarona-Kgambit. It goes through Clodsire. It often isn't sufficient for Sp.Def / Roar Skeledirge, but I have three whole Defensive mons to handle this issue. Nickname references an Egyptian God card from Yu-Gi-Oh, and is appropriate due to how many opposing monsters this Ra and the that Ra destroy.

Revolve B Sector (Kingambit) @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Def / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch

Offense 3/3.
Kingambit was formerly Tera FIRE on the HO team it is from, for avoiding Will-o-Wisp and to beat Fire-types. EVs outspeed the slowest Kingambit, and HP is a multiple of 8 (minus 1). Nickname is a Field Spell Card from Yu-Gi-Oh.

On paper Dragonite is a threat yet somehow I typically beat it, usually with Kingambit.

Kingambit EVs -> Fast Kingambit EVs
200 / 252 / 28 / 28 -> 112 / 252 / 144

Flamethrower -> Fiery Dance on Volc

I would suggest using an actual offensive set like :choice-band:, :choice-specs:, or :life-orb: on Pult.

Last edited:
Good team with not a lot of blaring weaknesses. I would suggest, however:

Keeping either wisp or wave on wash. Replace the other with protect for leftover recovery and scouting. If you have a heavy Def mon in Dondozo, and a balanced Def mon in Garg, maybe try a Spd mon in wash. It would help balance you out a little. Tere Electric would also be better than steel for infinite immunities.

LOL replace explosion for equake if you're worried about breaking subs. If not replace it with curse since you're running srocks. I prefer the iron press set (iron defense, body press, salt cure, recover) but we will get into that later. I also prefer tera water but I guess that's up to you. Also:

252 Atk Choice Band Meowscarada Flower Trick vs. 252 HP / 4+ Def Garganacl on a critical hit: 336-396 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You have a strong attacking core in Volcarona and Kingambit; The sets are standard and there is a good reason for that (except for Flamethrower... Swap that for Firey Dance please). Dragapult works, but I haven't personally used it so I can't say much. Nor have I played with your team so does it work on your team? Well, you tell me. What I do notice is that you have no one to remove hazards and that's a big no-no. With that in mind, Dragapult would be a good mon to remove without disrupting much of your team synergy.

I would like to throw Tusk out at you. You can keep rocks on garg, but now you wouldn't have to; it also gives you the best hazard remover in the meta. What Tusk you use I will leave up to you, but I will put the Tusk I think would work well. Play around with it and let me know what you think...

The more fun Tusk:

The Tusk (Great Tusk) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off/ Stealth Rocks

Probably the better Tusk:

The Tusk (Great Tusk) @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Bulk up/ Stealth Rocks

~ I thought of Corv after I typed out my response. If the wording looks a little out of place, that's why... ~

OR you can use a spdef corv. This set is a little unconventional but I think it would work really well. Maybe better than Tusk on a second look. Tusk is great but it gives you too many grass and water weaknesses... You would have to keep rocks on Garg (and not run the iron press set I mentioned), though.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird

Anyway, here ya go. I actually did my due diligence with this team so you better win and get AT LEAST 3000 ELO.
Best of luck and have fun ;) :mad:

I got up to 1550+ and fell all the way down to 1400s because I'm weak to Walking Wake. To deal with it I've replaced Rotom with Dragonite Tera Normal. With three users of Heavy-Duty Boots now I rlly don't need a spinner/defogger.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you have an interesting structure going on but some of the sets are sorta out of place. First, I think Dondozo doesnt fit in this build especially without strong hazard control. I suggest replacing Dondozo with Corviknight which is a lot less passive and can keep momentum with U-Turn. Next, I'd also suggest replacing Volcarona since it doesn't mesh well with this team. Instead I suggest an Offensive Tusk which can apply a lot of pressure while still checking key threats like Gambit and clear hazards. Obviously Volc and Tusk aren't direct replacements but it's moreso Volc is unnecessary for this build and that frees up a slot. With that I think the overall structure is fine just need some optimal moveset choices. Make Rotom SpDef with Hydro / Volt / Twave / Protect. Make Pult a Will-o / Hex / Darts / U-Turn. Finally Garganacl should be the Curse EQ with Tera Water. Now with both Tera Garg and Rotom-W, you should be much more solid against Walking Wake. I think this structure should work with the aim of cleaning up with either Gambit or Pult in the endgame. So summary of the mon and set changes:

:Dondozo: ->:Corviknight:

:Volcarona: -> :Great Tusk:

:Rotom-Wash: current set -> SpDef w/ Twave Protect

:Dragapult: current set -> Utility

:Garganacl: current set -> Curse EQ

Here the paste: https://pokepast.es/b56176d3c7af7100. Good luck!

Edit: I realised I didn't mention replacing Volc. Fixed that lol.

Last edited:

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
hi, i feel this team lacks a sense of direction as it stands. the title of the team says balanced and when there is some bulkier elements, theres stuff like screens pult which kind of confuses me. what i'm going to do is turn this into a Bulky Offense structure keeping the aspects of the team that you may be familiar with while just making it have a consistent identity and better gameplan. this means im going to be changing a decent bit of the team but trying to keep the general "core" of it so just bare with me.

major changes

:dondozo: -> :great-tusk:
few things i noticed out the gate is that the team lacked removal and a ground type. obviously, as people have stated above you should add the goat mon tusk. I like tusk over dozo because I don't find that dozo fits well on this particular style of team. tusk is self-explanatory, gambit check, ground type, and the goat removal. im using offensive tusk since i am keeping rocks on garg and it keeps some offensive and speed on the team. CC Tusk helps deal with gambit more reliably. I am running tera water mostly to help vs hydro steam but its generally reliable, you can run fire and steel as well but I find water is just generally safer into what you want it to check.

:volcarona -> :skeledirge:
im changing volcarona to sub dirge for a few reasons. in general, I really like dirge instead of volc on bo and balance for the most part due to it being generally more reliable defensively. mostly i find this team is pretty weak into valiant, iron moth and volcarona which volc does kind of help with but dirge is way better into them. sub dirge is really nice into garg which the team might struggle with. once again im running tera water since i am keeping wake in mind here but i think water does more defensively for you on this team especially with what i am doing with the garg slot. dirge is a very nice fail-safe into a lot offensive threats which you just don't get with volc. the spread has speed to outrun 199 kingambit.

minor changes

:dragapult:
screens pult doesn't really make sense on this team since its not really benefit you in any way. im choosing specs on this team to give you some immediate firepower but i guess utility does work. just doing specs ghost tera i don't really see the need for anything else here. an option is hex > thrower to benefit from rotom clicking status but its honestly not needed given specs tera sball will be doing enough anyway.

:garganacl:
im changing garg to curse physdef rocks with fairy tera. this set is really nice into basically all the physical attackers in the tier and makes it incredibly difficult to kill while making some really nice progress. tera fairy matches well into the physical attackers and helps vs stuff like meows and dragapult. overall the team needed a physdef wall that compresses a lot of roles into one slot defensively.

notes
- changing the gambit spread into fast gambit adamant just to outspeed things like slow dirge and most corv spreads. tera flying is fine because sometimes rotom isnt the most consistent ground immune
- changing the rotom wash spread to spdef to help take hits from notable spa threats like pult and valiant while still threatening wave on things like ace. adding protect because i dont see the need for double status and twave does enough for team. tera steel to help vs valiant, meows, and dnite.

:rotom-wash::dragapult::kingambit::skeledirge::garganacl::great-tusk:
https://pokepast.es/b58f269ab6e1bc8a

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)