SM OU Ban THIS and THAT and TRICK ROOM! ❝Baddest of the bad. Just be you.❞ (peaked #20) [1949+]

What would you decree a ban on?

• BanDisnDatnMe

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • Ash-Greninja

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • Zygarde

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • Kartana

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Magearna

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Landorus-T

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Blacephalon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Serperior

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Screens Trick Room

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Brainbreaker

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • SCHOLARSHIPS

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Fantastic_fuego

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Predator30

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Union Boss

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Ho3nConfirm3d

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters
1234567891011121314151617181920212 DUAL SCREENS TRICK ROOM12345678910111213141516171819202122232
trick room gif.gif
necrozma lil tumbnail.png
meowstic lil.png
mag lil.png
mawi lil.png
vict lil.png
Hoopa lil.png

Hey Smogon!

Many players will have already braced themselves for the inevitability of Dual Screens + HO Trick Room involving the five Trick Room setters/abusers and one solely abuser. It's disappointing to see how much usage the Balance playstyle has gotten as for late—and for a throwaway match at a non-traditional current meta no less. But I decided to pull out all of the stops to maximize this team's efficacy. One can only hope the current meta does not go the predictable route with this team by having Rare-Standard teams bowl over well-poised creatve and innovative teams in a few minutes and kill whatever heat these peculiar teams have left. This Screens HO Trick Room has been a revelation on Ladder and the current meta, making the absolute most of every opportunity given to it. A scenario in which players use unexplored teams to unload furious vengeance on this very team would not only intensify the rivalry, it would allow it to build real heat for itself ahead of the inevitable blow off. Moreover, this team fought through tremendous competition in Ladder against a plethora of playstyles but skipped out from the difficulties and uncertainty rather than forfeiting a match. The result? A massive amount of points on ladder, the start of one of the most historically significant runs in Pokemon Competition history. Will that happen to any elaborate team? Most definitely not. What could, though, is a masterful build that sees a player achieve its biggest stardom to date under the Pokemon umbrella. Especially if the Pokemon community continues building sympathy for it, intentionally or not. This team has intesely been battling it out on the ladder, with a whole lot of things being on the line. The conclusion of the battles saw the Screens Trick Room finish off its rivals normally with pokemons being behind Screens. A red-hot angle usually reserved for the High Ladder, it added another element to what has quickly become, arguably, the best Screens Trick Room in the entire meta-game. Lastly, the fact that I have taken upon myself the mission of showcasing this team via RMT for you guys, only created more excitement for an Archetype that has far exceeded even the loftiest of expectations. The work of the Trick Room setters/abusers involved has a lot to do with it, but angles like getting a win with the assistance of both suffocating offense and supplementary bulk in Screens only serve to lend credibility to it.

1949 ladder peak.png

Replays tab.png

necrozma.gif
Meowstic_XY.gif
Magearna_SL.gif
Mega-Mawile_XY.gif
Victini_XY.gif
Hoopa_Unbound_ORAS.gif

The Team

This Hyper Offensive Trick Room team is packed with surprises as top pokemons change sides and make shocking appearance on a Trick Room team. It's the most jam-packed edition of the Trick Room playstyle in months, with the landscape of the meta changing intensely. Over the course of a few days laddering with the team, the fun-loving face became a cruel and undesirable one, while the conniving villain team took on a fan favorite playstyle (Balance) with an unstoppable will to fight. A vast variety of teams have lost, with Stall coming up short, Balance teams failing to capitalize and an annoying Sticky Web team now serving as an auto-loss. The stable might reform to a better degree, but they already look to be imploding due to rising tensions. These moments defined a fascinating Screens Hyper Offensive Trick Room team that created several unforgettable takeaways for the meta's direction going forward. Every time this team runs into a battle, the 5 hard-hitting Trick Room users plus a subpar bulky pokemon in Meowstic hypes the respective match itself, despite the opponent's best efforts, they are mostly unable to keep up and fall to The Dominator Trick Room team after using Trick Room non stop to continuously attack. While the Trick Room playstyle has long needed a change, it's a shock to see such a sudden turn. It felt like the current meta just needed the Trick Room in opposite roles and pushed the reset button. Normally, a turn of this magnitude would take more setup. The Screens HO Trick Room, with a snide player behind it, will fit much better on Ladder from now on. It's a monstrous force who can throw around opposing pokemons with ease, and it sounds way better wearing teams down by repeatedly using Trick Room and start an offense off as opposed to being Cresselia and Uxie's relyant. This was the right move even if it was oddly timed. This could have a huge impact on how the meta shapes up in the coming months, with Screens HO Trick Room at last poised to make a major impact.

Team Building Process

Here I will show you guys a short glimpse of what the intial thought of the team was. I was basically running a Cresselia + Uxie TR setters core, coupled with some highly offensive pokemons in Mega Mawile and Marowak-Alola. To add more uniqueness to the team I opted to go for a unorthodox Magearna Double Screens set using Light Clay and Explosion as a get away to consume turns. It went like this: Reflect, Light Screen, Explosion and Trick Room with a 252 HP / +120 Def / 136 SpD. Yet again for innovation only I went for a Electrium Z Thunder Xurkitree's set: Thunder, Energy Ball, Tail Glow and HP Ice. This team clearly got me at mid 1800's but that was pretty much it.
cress shuf.png
Bag_Mental_Herb_Sprite.png
uxie shuf.png
Red Card.png
mawile shuf.png
Bag_Mawilite_Sprite.png
maro shuf.png
thick club.png
mag shuf.png
Bag_Light_Clay_Sprite.png
xurk shuf.png
electrium z.png

After seeing how terrible my match-ups were becoming and how the was being worn down with ease, then moved forward to an Uxie-less Trick Room using Screens on Meowstic as opposed to Magearna, using Magearna Fairium Z as opposed to Screens and to seal the deal a decent LO Crabominable set. As expected, this team couldn't help but bring me losses after losses, I couldn't tell what went wrong by that time,
cress lil.png
mawi lil.png
maro lil.png
mag shuf.png
Fairium Z.png
crabo shuf.png
Bag_Life_Orb_Sprite.png
meowstic shuf.png

Here's when things got a little bit tricky. I came to a realisation that Crabominable was good but it was simply being taken down by Mega Pinsir. I could still suggest Crabomibale over Mega Mawile but given the circumstances that Mega Mawile wins the Hazard damage game and its typing is better then I will still give it the jump on Crabominable. So Marowak-Alola wasn't getting any better as it didn't have a solid Trick Room setter except for Cresselia. Hoopa inmediately popped to my mind as I was up to the mindset that the more offense the more effective the team was gonna be.

cress lil.png
mawi lil.png
maro lil.png
mag lil.png
meowstic lil.png
hoopa shuffle.png
Bag_Life_Orb_Sprite.png

Said that, I was only questioning myself whether was it really worthwhile to have a deadweight Cresselia slowing down pretty much the whole entire mechanic and serving as set up fodder and a ton of dark/ghost types luring in. Marowak-Alola, as I aforementioned, was not fitting well on the team since it's too common on TR and players normally would play around it or just the fact that it wasn't a Trick Room setter or didn't count with the possibility of having a fat Trick Room setter aside Cresselia.
mag lil.png
meowstic lil.png
Hoopa lil.png
vict shuf.png
Figy Berry.png
necrozma shuffle.png
weakness policy.png
mimi shuf.png
Red Card.png

In the wake of Marowak-Alola and Cresselia leaving the team, I added yet more offense to make the team more offensively oriented. This version of the team was all the way 6 Trick Room setters. There was no reason for all of the pokemons to run Trick Room. Mimikyu was only there to ensure a disguise-Trick Room. But other than that, it was just there occupying a slot Mega Mawile is more suitable for.

mag lil.png
meowstic lil.png
Hoopa lil.png
vict lil.png
necrozma lil tumbnail.png
mawile shuf.png
Bag_Mawilite_Sprite.png

As my last resort, I opted to run Mega Mawile as it was provinding the team with way more damage, cleaning up stuff and picking off quick stuff with Priority in Sucker Punch. Also it's a better Sword Dancer and have more bulk given the fact that it even counts on Intimidate from its pre-evolution.
12345678910111213141516171819202122232Screens HO Trick Room22232425262242526
necrozma background 2.gif
necrozma.gif
Meowstic_XY.gif
Magearna_SL.gif
Mega-Mawile_XY.gif
Victini_XY.gif
Hoopa_Unbound_ORAS.gif
necrozma background 2.gif

---------------------------
Team Breakdown
---------------------------
Hoopa_Unbound_ORAS.gif
raws.gif

Gamma Crusis (Hoopa-Unbound)
Bag_Life_Orb_Sprite.png

Items.png
Life Orb
Bag_Ability_Capsule_Sprite.png
Magician
evs atk.png
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature RH.png
Brave (+Atk, -Spe)
ivs egg 4.png
0 Spe

20px-Darkness-attack.png
Hyperscale Fury
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Zen Headbutt
20px-Fighting-attack.png
Power-Up-Punch
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Trick Room

Hoopa-U has gone through extreme lengths to prove it belongs in the OU Tier. It’s bounced around from HO teams to Balance teams. However, there's something a bit off with Hoopa-U, something difficult to pin down. A legitimate argument could be made that there may be some sort of complicating factor as well. Something not readily apparent. Hoopa-U has somewhat begrudgingly played the role of an offensive-oriented savant pokemon with a versatile spread. That style of overly slow hard-hitting attacker has fallen more and more out of fashion as the meta game has unfolded. Hoopa-U appears more like a potent attacker of the past—out of place and out of time when compared to the “unicorns” of our current Meta. Hoopa-U has never proved that it is a viable multidimensional offensive threat—in part, because of the way it has been used. That’s because it’s plagued with a strongly negative physically defensive and Speed stats. It's best offensive asset is Hyperscale Fury and yet debilitates its physical defense at -1 stage of Defense. But it’s also proved to be one of the largest black holes offensively, busting through ladder with its dual stab-moves, making it difficult to anchor a modern offense. In Hoopa-U’s mind, it’s dutifully fulfilling a role but feels like it’s more dynamic than a Weavile-type. More offensively multidimensional. Closer to a Kartana, which can mix it up inside and out. These days, if a pokemon is not sufficiently fast and thus hangs too much from one of its defensive stats, it's on the outside looking in. This is why, I, BanDisnDatnMe, think Hoopa-U deserves the opportunity to show more of itself on the battle field.

“This is just my opinion, but you should throw Hoopa-U a bone here and there,”. “It’s working on the main things and why it got its max and understanding what the main focus is. In my opinion, throw Hoopa-U a bone. Let it blow a couple of pokemons here and there.”

On the Replays section, Hoopa-U has shown glimpses of what it can do. Whether Hoopa-U will diverge from who it has been on the battle field and become a prolific potent physical attacker is left to be determined. That motivation is palpable. Hoopa-U is ready for its redemption tour. And it fully intends to be there as a former Ubers pokemon back in ORAS, where it all started.

Hyperscale Fury - Paired with Life Orb hits very hard, 2HKOing walls such as physically defensive Skarmory and Hippodon and often 2HKOing Pyukumuku; it also heavily dents Feraligatr, KOes Tapu Lele, and beats subbed pokemons such as Serperior and Blacephalon.
Zen Headbutt - Hits Fighting-types such as Mega Heracross, which would otherwise be solid checks to Hoopa-U.
Power-Up-Punch - Hoppa-U's best Attack-boosting move. It enables Hoopa-U to break past physical walls that are too passive to stop it from setting up and puts a lot of pressure on defensive teams in general.
Trick Room - Often makes Hoopa-U the fastest Pokemon on the field, which is perfect for a late-game sweep after a Power-Up-Punch boost or two.

EV/IV Spread - Maximum investment in HP improves Hoopa-U's overall bulk as much as possible. 252 Attack EVs along with a Brave nature let it hit as hard as possible in its attempt to sweep late-game. The Brave nature also couples with its 0 Speed IVs in hopes of making Hoopa-U the fastest Pokemon under Trick Room at all times.
Calcs tab.png

Gamma Crusis (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hyperspace Fury
- Zen Headbutt
- Power-Up Punch
- Trick Room

Meowstic_XY.gif
rocket.gif

Rigel (Meowstic)

medicine item.png
Light Clay

Prankster
evs def.png
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature RH.png
Bold (+Def, -Atk)
ivs egg 4.png
0 Atk
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Reflect
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Light Screen
20px-Colorless-attack.png
Yawn
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Trick Room

On the battle field, Meowstic is as much artist as orchestrator, a sculptor of a mind-bending movepool, physics-defying late-game plays and Replay-worthy finishes. A Pokemon iconoclast. No one sets Screens quite like Meowstic—not in today's meta, nor in yesterday's. Where others see an impenetrable barrier—a Stall-team, a semi balance team—Meowstic sees an opening, a chance to do something dazzling. And quite often, it does, even if it sometimes makes the pokemon purists wince.

"You can see it in the way it supports the team," Mirbro Tirantlo Blanc says. "It's free, it's untethered. It comes out, I don't even think it knows what it's gonna do."

It takes a certain creativity and confidence to dissect a Pokemon with the Prankster ability, or design your own strategy, or make a RMT out of an Archetype you created. It might be the most unconventional of all the unconventional things I've done.

No, I counter, "I think it was one of the best things I've done, honestly."

Few Pokemons arrive in this game fully formed, as design or as pokemons, but those early impressions often stick and create a lasting haze, obscuring their steady growth. Not a day goes by that Mewostic doesn't do something that makes everyone stop and say, "Wow."

If you love Meowstic's game, plays like this are proof of its genius ability Prankster, not just the movepool such Prankster pokemons require, but also the vision and audacity to try them at all. To the Meowstic skeptic, it's just proof of its tunnel vision—an inability to see beyond itself.

If it seems as if the pressure and scrutiny that dogged Meowstic through its XY/ORAS years changed it, it did. There's a self-awareness about Meowstic now, a realization that it might have mishandled certain battle scenarios. It seems more at ease, more comfortable showcasing its strategy, less concerned with perceptions from doubtful players.

Everybody can't expect Meowstic to lead a team to mid 1900's and then come back to the drawing table and disregard its level of greatness when it comes to setting up Screens and care about what everybody else says, it's just impossible.

BanDisnDatnMe: "So I try to tell these young players in here that you're looking at a pokemon that has been through the wringer of being one of the top-tier Screens setter in this meta. Meowstic's been underranked, It's been overranked, It's been overrated, It's been underrated, It's been everything that you can think of, every word of comparison. So at the end of the day, just find a balance in it."

Reflect and Light Screen give Meowstic's teammates invaluable support by significantly decreasing the damage from opposing Pokemon's attacks. This support is extremely helpful for setup sweepers that rely on taking an attack and boosting.
Yawn - It's the favourable status option; other than sleep being a powerful tool, it forces sweepers out hoping to use a boosting move to choose between switching out (thus making damage with its augmented attack) or being put to sleep.
Trick Room - When using Trick Room, depending on the matchup, Meowstic can be used aggressively early-game to set up Screens and set Trick Room for its team, or it can still be preserved for set up Screens on a foe that the rest of its team is not likely going to be able to keep in check.

EV/IV Spread - Maximum HP investment is important to take hits while setting up screens, and a Bold nature helps agaisnt the likes of Taunt users such as Mega Gyarados, Tornadus-T, and Tapu Koko. Light Clay increases the duration of Light Screen and Reflect. Prankster gives priority to all of Meowstic's support moves, except for Trick Room which has a priority of -7, so will be used after all moves with a normal priority. A specially defensive EV spread can be used to lessen the damage taken from special attacks and Secret Sword.

Calcs tab.png

Rigel (Meowstic) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Yawn
- Trick Room

Victini_XY.gif
fire 3.gif
fire 3.gif
fire 3.gif
fire 3.gif

VY Canis Majoris (Victini)
Figy Berry.png

Berries.png
Figy Berry
Victory Star
evs atk.png
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature RH.png
Brave (+Atk, -Spe)
ivs egg 4.png
0 Spe
20px-Fire-attack.png
V-Create
20px-Lightning-attack.png
Bolt Strike
20px-Fighting-attack.png
Power-Up-Punch
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Trick Room

Joining a fast-paced, less decorated Trick Room team has given Victini the latitude to lead and express itself in a way it never could in a Trick Room dominated by Alolan Marowak and a crowd of standard Trick Room abusers. Critics would point out, rightly, that those virtues haven't always been evident. Everything is peachy keen for this Victini set if the bad match-ups bug doesn't hit. For most, this idealism is nothing more than false euphoria that will be weeded out by the meta's diversity reality checks. For others, the buzz is warranted. Star pokemons, fringe star pokemons and afterthoughts-turned-building blocks come out of nowhere on every BanDisnDatnMe's RMT. Attempting to suss them out is an early-October rite of passage. Role reduction is a ubiquitous danger on these type of teams. Victini's rise was empowered in part by Rain team's absence. Victini is adaptable enough to ignore the complications tied to the Trick Rooms' depth.

Doubting Victini is good for the soul. Pretty much everyone—myself included—has been quick to consider Alolan Marowak on this slot. And why not? A more open-ended access to terrifying Sword Dance arrangements should go a long way.

Except, what if it doesn't? What if Victini is the ritzier version of Alolan Marowak, a pokemon that has been considered among most the greatest Trick Room abuser?

Maybe Victini is above this distrust. It sure seem to be. Its offensive, defensive and speed prowess is the real deal. Neither Victini nor Hoopa-U (both of them Power-Up-Punch users) are a flash in the pan. And yet, other conditions of the Victini's identity could burn out. Victini might not flirt with meta-average efficiency from Trick Room.

Victini is the swing piece of the team. Meowstic's encore efforts are more pivotal to maintaining this team's standards, but Victini's development is Screens Trick Room's flavor enhancer. And it's up to the occasion.

V-Create - An encounter with this set will show just how hard it is to switch in to V-create when boosted by PUP; V-create blasts through standard physical walls, such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn, and even OHKOes defensive Gliscor in sun at +1 stage of Attack. Not even Hippowdon can switch in safely, as it is 2HKOed by +1 Atk V-create. Hence, the stat drops of Defense, Special Defense, and Speed that occur after using V-create are not very easy to take advantage of, as many Pokemon will be outsped by Trick Room, and since it counts with defensive support in Screens, that could even lead to the Figy Berry's activation, which in most of the cases will put you in position to capitlalize as you maintain momentum.
Bolt Strike - Used to hit bulky Water-types, OHKOing even the bulkiest of Toxapex and Tapu Fini after a couple of PUPs and 2HKOing Rotom-W and Heatran without a Defense and Special Defense drop. While the unreliable 85% accuracy might make you wary of using it, remember that Victory Star boosts it to a much more reliable 93%.
Power-Up-Punch - Victini's best tool in these matchups, allowing it to break past its traditional checks after a boost, so it should try to use Power-Up Punch on a predicted switch-in. Power-Up Punch is very useful as a coverage move and allows Victini to wallbreak more easily.
Trick Room - Valuable tool against offensive teams, as it turns Victini into a powerful late-game cleaner, making it the fastest Pokemon on the field in some cases.

EV/IV Spread - A Brave nature with a 0 Speed IV ensures that Victini outspeeds as many Pokemon as possible under Trick Room. Victory Star allows Victini to possibly get undodgeable Bolt Strikes. Maximum HP and Attack EVs allow Victini to tank as many hits as possible while hitting as hard as it can. Figy Berry gives Victini as much longevity as possible.
Calcs tab.png

VY Canis Majoris (Victini) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Power-Up Punch
- Trick Room

Mega-Mawile_XY.gif
petals 3.gif
petals 3.gif
petals 3.gif

Eta Aquilae (Mega Mawile)
Bag_Mawilite_Sprite.png

Key item.png
Mawilite
Huge Power
evs atk.png
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature RH.png
Brave (+Atk, -Spe)
ivs egg 4.png
0 Spe
20px-Fairy-attack.png
Play Rough
20px-Fire-attack.png
Fire Fang
Sword Dance
20px-Darkness-attack.png
Sucker Punch

Mega Mawile is already there on Offense. It makes life hell on all the tapus and has the Typing and potency to comfortably bust through all type of playstyles. No one should expect it to down threes, but it's more than its shaky Special Defense stat. Better Trick Room chances of occuring alone is Mega Mawile's ticket to substantive playing time. Meowstic needs an attacking partner in crime. For all of the questions about its longevity, Mega Mawile is just that. If it starts hitting some Play Roughs or sniffing a 95% percent accuracy rate from Fire Fang, Screens Trick Room will give off juggernaut vibes.

Play Rough - Hits anything that doesn't resist it for extreme damage after a boost.
Fire Fang - Fire Fang is preferred over Thunder Punch on most teams, as it hits Skarmory, Celesteela, Magearna, Kartana, Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn really hard.
Sword Dance - Boosts Mega Mawile's Attack greatly, which allows it to muscle through nearly every would-be defensive check barring a few Pokemon with the Unaware ability.
Sucker Punch - Compliments Play Rough and Fire Fang nicely, providing almost unresisted neutral coverage, gigantesque Base Power, and priority, preventing Mega Mawile from getting revenge killed by faster threats, including Mega Pinsir, Zygarde, and Kartana.

EV/IV Spread - The given EV spread is used so that Mega Mawile can maximize its bulk and power, while having a Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs allows it to outspeed nearly everything in Trick Room.
Calcs tab.png

Kartana @ Normalium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Leaf Blade
- Giga Impact
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword

**This slot can also be occupied by Sitrus Berry Azumarill to make the team more resistant to Ground and best Ash-Greninja easier**
Azumarill_XY.gif
bubble 2.gif

Azumarill
Bag_Sitrus_Berry_Sprite.png

Berries.png
Sitrus Berry
Huge Power
evs atk.png
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature RH.png
Brave (+Atk, -Spe)
ivs egg 4.png
0 Spe
20px-Water-attack.png
Aqua Jet
20px-Fairy-attack.png
Play Rough
Belly Drum
20px-Darkness-attack.png
Knock Off

Importable tab.png

Magearna_SL.gif
magearna background.gif
magearna background.gif

Wezen (Magearna)
Fairium Z.png

disc item.png
Fairium Z
Soul Heart
evs spa.png
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Nature RH.png
Quiet (+SpA, -Spe)
ivs egg 4.png
0 Spe
20px-Fairy-attack.png
Fleur Cannon
20px-Lightning-attack.png
Thunderbolt
20px-Fighting-attack.png
Aura Sphere
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Trick Room

Everything about Magearna's game is particularly flashy, which is sort of the point. Magearna is a pokemon that effectively straddles the line between Power and Bulk.

"Look out," CamilaCruz Cami Neko<3 told me with regard to Magearna. "I think she's next."

Is anyone out there brave enough to go against the Trick Room's latest decree? Well, you shouldn't be. Magearna has become an obligatory inclusion in these exercises not because Trick Room demands it, but because it deserves that near-universal trust.

A majority share of its potential used to be rooted in the eye test. It still is in many ways.

Magearna has a great feel for the game when walling potent attackers and set Trick Room up to start offense off. It isn't always totally comfortable facing some Specially Defensive bulky pokemons and finishing through Special Attack drops from Fleur Cannon, but it leverages its gifted ability Soul-Heart to prolong the sweeping spree almost at will. That fluidity is atypical for a pokemon with such superb offensive and defensive EVs, and it has afforded it rosy projections even when the kill-relyant boost doesn't quite align with Trick Room. That changed on this Screens Trick Room team, as it can now be largely used as the team's offensive lifejacket.

Playing with others Trick Room setters should get Magearna over the hump. It'll have more turns to attack in face-ups and with velocity, and any extra boost from Soul-Heart should come as higher-efficiency standstill opportunities.

She is, in fact, next.

Fleur Cannon - Very strong coming from Magearna's high Special Attack and does heavy damage to most Pokemon that don't resist it, easily blowing away any Dark- or Dragon-type and doing up to half to Reuniclos and Clefable. However, it comes with the drawback of lowering Magearna's Special Attack two stages, which is typically compensated by Soul-Heart to a lesser degree.
Twinkle Tackle - Indispensable nuke capable of blowing away Clefable, Mew, and Zapdos, without a mere boost.
Thunderbolt - Can be used for its immediate damage on Pokemon such as Celesteela and Tapu Fini, and it also slightly eases the Toxapex matchup.
Aura Sphere - Aura Sphere is a drawback-free move with decent power. However, Focus Blast is a very viable, albeit inaccurate alternative, as after a Soul-Heart boost, it can OHKO many bulky Pokemon that Aura Sphere cannot.
Trick Room - Trick Room helps the team and allows Magearna to move first on the next turn, making Magearna a great boosting sweeper in tandem with Twinkle Tacke, Thunderbolt and Aura Sphere.

EV/IV Spread - Fairium Z is best used with Fleur Cannon, in order to kickstart Soul-Heart and sweep teams late-game. A Quiet nature and the given EVs maximize Magearna's Special Attack and contribute to its bulk to maximize its offensive prowess while making it as slow as possible.
Calcs tab.png

Wezen (Magearna) @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere
- Trick Room

necrozma.gif
stars 2.gif
stars 2.gif

Kocab (Necrozma)
weakness policy.png

items 2.png
Weakness Policy
Prism Armor
evs spa.png
252 HP/ 4 Def / 252 SpA
Nature RH.png
Quiet (+SpA, -Spe)
ivs egg 4.png
0 Spe
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Photon Geyser
20px-Fire-attack.png
Heat Wave
20px-Fighting-attack.png
Earth Power
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Trick Room

Weakness Policy Necrozma might be the most popular Trick Room abuser on this Screens Trick Room. It isn't hard to see why. Leveraging its relentless ability Prism Armor to better activate Weakness Policy is an art form on its own, and Necrozma plays offense with zero fear. Necrozma still checks in as the Screens Trick Room's more appealing breakout option. It has more layers to its game. It doesn't boast the 3-kills-per-game cachet of Magearna, but it has the resilience and potency to ship away foes and manufacture high-end looks for itself and its poke-mates. Necrozma's offensive panache sometimes gets lost in the whirlwind that is Chansey's Special Defense.

Necrozma has not been developed out of necessity and by design. And the variance in its role compared to those of other potent special attackers will only mushroom with Magearna and Mega Mawile sponging up hits from Dark-type and Bug-Type moves and touches off the pokemons on the shelf. That shouldn't scare anyone away from purchasing Necrozma stock. It has struck a balance between complementary bulk and conventional attack mode.

Imitating a Stored Power version works for Necrozma. It can take another step toward offensive stardom without demanding an expanded role. But this Screens Trick Room may give him one anyway. Its depth beyond the Screen setter (Meowstic) is not a given.

Necrozma's defense will balance out whatever voids wind up sticking in its offensive repertoire. It can hang with both Heat Wave and Earth Power.

Good luck finding a better Weakness Policy user. It's among the best Weakness Policy holders in the meta at derailing Balance teams and HO teams on close-outs (Under Weakness Policy activation).

Photon Geyser - Alternatively, STAB Photon Geyser functions as a strong neutral attack against foes like Volcarona, Tapu Fini, and Zygarde.
Heat Wave - An excellent choice in the third or fourth slot to lure and beat many Steel-types that feel confident switching in after Photon Geyser has been revealed. Celesteela, Magearna, and Jirachi are all 2HKOed by any combination of Necrozma's moves that involves Heat Wave, while even 252 HP Jirachi can be 2HKOed by Heat Wave without the precense oh hazard.
Earth Power - An excellent coverage move in either case, hitting every Steel-type but Skarmory and Celesteela, which are covered by Heat Wave, and Rotom-W, which can be dealt with by Photon Geyser stalling.
Trick Room - Allows for Necrozma to outpace normally faster threats, allowing it to clean opposing teams late-game.

EV/IV Spread - Prism Armor allows Necrozma to activate a one-time +2 Atk and +2 SpA in Weakness Policy to a better degree. A Quiet nature with 0 Speed IVs allows Necrozma to outspeed most Pokemon under Trick Room while maximum Special Attack EVs allow Necrozma to hit as hard as it can, and maximum HP EVs allow it to be as bulky as possible.
Calcs tab.png

Kocab (Necrozma) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
Quiet Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Trick Room

-------------------------
Threats
-------------------------
zyg lil.png

Zygarde
A way I derail Zygarde is I always keep Screens up so that the bulky Trick Room abusers come in and set up Trick Room with ease. If there's a scenario where there's no screens, then what must be made is there're a couple of pokemons within this team that can actually wall it no matter whether they're x2 weak to Thousand Arrows. Intimidate from Mega Mawile's pre-evolution would normally help to keep it away. Magearna can take a hit on non-Choice banded Zygardes. Necrozma is the most convenient to use to set up Trick Room and maintain momentum. Meowstic is undeniably the best option when it comes to just set up screens on Zygarde or just Trick Room.
Greninja_Ash_icon.png

Ash-Greninja
Ash-Greninja may not seem like a real threat but its Water Shuriken hits most of the pokemons of this hard, and take in mind Water Shuriken even outspeeds Meowstic. Its Hydro Pumps are normally annoying and only Magearna, Hoopa-U and Necrozma could take a hit from that being screen-less. Dark Pulse also cripples Meowstic even under screens and hits Necrozma and Victini tremendously hard, but we got Mega Mawile and Magearna on the shelf for those type of scenarios.
tapu koko  lil tumbnail.png

Tapu Koko
This team is Ground-less, Volt Absorb-less and Lighting Rod-less, which means that Electric moves will always hit, but with early Screens up, there's not such a thing Tapu Koko can actually do, as it will ost of the times be outsped and outclassed by our Trick Room abusers.
mana lil.png

Manaphy + Screens
To derail Manaphy all you gotta do is to make sure you give the respective team it's in a good fight and always setting up Trick Rooms. Other than that, you can outshine Manaphy by simply setting up Screens and Hoopa-U would pretty much live a +6 surf under the rain and without rock damage and set up a Trick Room turning the match in your favor.
chansey lil.png
+
toxa lil.png

Chansey + Toxapex

This core while annoying can also be dealt if you put some thinking into how to deter the stall team they are in. My best advice is to be wary of letting your physical attackers faint as they dismantle Chansey's capabilities and for Toxapex try to wear it down by using Photon Geyser from Necrozma, Zen Headbutt from Hoopa-U or just Bolt Strike from Victini and so on.
mag lil.png

AV Magearna
AV Magearna is somewhat a little threat, as you're forced to just use both Heat Wave as Earth Power to kind of make it short-lived. Other than that Both Mega Mawile as Victini can truly annihilate AV Magearna.

Replays

How to derail Stall:
question mark unown.gif

Mirror battles:
question mark unown.gif

Against Rain team:
question mark unown.gif

Against Sticky Web:
Replays tab.pngNew!
Replays tab.png
Double Screen/Aurora Veil Offense:
Replays tab.pngNew!
Replays tab.pngNew!
Balance team:

Replays tab.png
Replays tab.png
TR
Replays tab.pngNew!
Against Sun Team:

question mark unown.gif

Epic comeback:
question mark unown.gif

Weakness Policy Occurance:
Replays tab.png
Replays tab.png
Bonus replays [Must watch]
Replays tab.png VS Redjoker22 New!
Replays tab.png VS CVCXCXAZ
Replays tab.png VS auntm0l3str

rmt tab 3.png

Importable tab.png

CER0PR, Pinkacross, Limousines, CamilaCruz, AnnaKartanna, Storm Zone,Aurella, Essence, Mirbro, Borrower, branflakes, Dark Elegy, isuckstbattles, Posho, XxAwesomePlayzxX, HCJB, Tenebricite, manols, Crime♡, dia_sre, Fantastic_fuego, ilosetostalloroffense, Idud, nintendonoah, ZombieFriedChicken, hkjjljih, Austin Whitaker, StayHighAllTheTime, Lil Win

Kyurem Stall
Mega-Sableye_ROZA.gif

Lucky Punch.png

rmt tab 3.png

Druddigon BP
Mega-Mawile_XY.gif
Druddigon.gif

Lucky Punch.png

rmt tab 3.png

Kommo-o Belly Drum HO

Lucky Punch.png

Double Blob Hyper Stall
quagsire.gif
Mega-Sableye_ROZA.gif
blissey.gif

Importable tab.png

Supreme Hazard-Less Setup Boosting Team - BUMMO
Mega-Charizard_X_XY.gif
tapukoko.gif
quagsire.gif
clefable2.gif
espeon2.gif
necrozma.gif

Lucky Punch.png

rmt tab 3.png

Tailwind Offense
Hoopa_Unbound_ORAS.gif
Blacephalon_USUL.gif
Tapu_Lele_SM.gif
mew.gif
whimsicott.gif
tornadus.gif

Lucky Punch.png

rmt tab 3.png

Glare Offense
Mega-Gyarados_XY.gif
Blacephalon_USUL.gif
Serperior_XY.gif
Druddigon.gif
Kartana_SL.gif
Zygarde_XY.gif

Lucky Punch.png

rmt tab 3.png

Block & Talk - Block Offense
Zygarde_XY.gif
Mega-Slowbro_ROZA.gif
Kartana_SL.gif
Klefki_XY.gif
Ditto_XY.gif
Snorlax_XY.gif

Lucky Punch.png

rmt tab 3.png

question mark unown.gif

question mark unown.gif

question mark unown.gif

Attachments

Last edited:
Jo :)

I cannot say anything that you do not know yet. Before checking your teams I know I will love them because the time you spend on them is always the necessary to polish any detail. We started with the TR typical team + Xurkitree. It seemed pretty good but it was not absolutely creative (although Mage was Screener + Explosion). We tried Sun + TR but it didn't work. However, you always come out with many great ideas.

Meowstic is one of my favourite Pokémons. It seems a weak Pokémon but with Prankster and all the possibilities it has you can use it in many different teams. Screens is just the peak of usage. It is a PU Pokémon that is absolutely underrated. I hope your team makes it boost a bit in usage :).

And I will admit that, now talking about the RMT itself, it is pretty cool and innovative the usage of pokésafe for battles and so on. One of the best teambuilders + RMT creators I have ever seen.

A great friend,

Jordi.

Why can I say?

Trick Room teams live and die by forward offensive momentum, and having four offensive TR setters coupled with dual screens providing extra bulk is simply brilliant.

The lack of hazards isn’t a hinderance and because of the brutal offensive nature of the team, even Toxic Spikes-Balance, normally a very solid counter to TR, doesn’t have time to rack up the damage.

Very nice work Ban dis, as always.

HCJB

Banned deucer.
Nice team and congrats on the peak, I think the shift a while back in the meta to Pex running Haze and max SpDef consistently has made a pretty massive stumbling block to TR this gen so laddering so high can be tricky. I've got a few questions...

1) How did you find running no hazards? I know that TR certainly has the power that it does need hazards score KOs, however at the same time rocks do discourage switching - something that can really waste your TR turns if your opponent is clever about it. Did you find a lack of rocks to be a problem or not?

2) How important was countering Toxapex to your success? Pex sucks balls for TR, with Haze to remove boosts and a low speed tier in general. I've noticed that at least three mons here deal with it well, with Hoopa getting the OHKO and Victini plus Necrozma the 2HKO unboosted. Was there an idea here to overcompensate for Pex with these mons or did it come naturally?

3) How did you fare against hazard stacking teams? Without Defog or a meaningful way to prevent hazards, and with no hazards of your own, it seems like a hazard stacking team could pose a threat here (and it's something I found to be a problem on TR myself).

It certainly seems like you've got all your bases covered, with Hyperspace Fury getting through subs and protect and Meowstic giving a really defensive backbone plus deterring set-up sweepers with Yawn. I have one set suggestion that I think you should try...

Recommendation

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

All-Out Pummeling is a more threatening nuke to the things that would switch into Magearna than Twinkle Tackle (e.g. OHKOing 252 HP Heatran), and can even get an OHKO on Chansey at the +3 (which you are guaranteed to reach from full health if you CM on the switch, as you can CM twice more and then Pummel while Chansey can't 3HKO with Seismic Toss) or take 80% at +2. Pummeling and Fleur Cannon have great neutral coverage and either 190 or 195 (130 plus STAB) power being walled by only a few fire types (Tini, Blacephalon and Zard-Y) plus Pex. In terms of losing T-Bolt, it fails to 2HKO Pex anyway and a single CM boost makes Fleur Cannon deal equal damage to Twinkle Tackle - hitting water types harder than T-Bolt. It also makes your plays more consistent, as there's really no need to try and predict when you're throwing that sort of power neutral coverage power around - especiallly when you CM first.

Seems like it'd help your Chansey matchup, giving Necrozma an even easier time of sweeping. It's also another surprise on a surprising team, and as you lose so little from dropping T-Bolt but gain a lot more (self-boosting to trivially net KOes) it fits hand in glove on a TR team - but especially yours as with Light Screen and a CM boost you could potentially set TR a couple of times with Magearna. I really think you should give it a try, I posted about it in the underrated sets thread here with some replays if you wanted to see it in action,

Last edited:
Jo :)

I cannot say anything that you do not know yet. Before checking your teams I know I will love them because the time you spend on them is always the necessary to polish any detail. We started with the TR typical team + Xurkitree. It seemed pretty good but it was not absolutely creative (although Mage was Screener + Explosion). We tried Sun + TR but it didn't work. However, you always come out with many great ideas.

Meowstic is one of my favourite Pokémons. It seems a weak Pokémon but with Prankster and all the possibilities it has you can use it in many different teams. Screens is just the peak of usage. It is a PU Pokémon that is absolutely underrated. I hope your team makes it boost a bit in usage :).

And I will admit that, now talking about the RMT itself, it is pretty cool and innovative the usage of pokésafe for battles and so on. One of the best teambuilders + RMT creators I have ever seen.

A great friend,

Jordi.
It doesn't matter how many times you let me know about your love for my teams, It will always be priceless for me to have you in position to tell me all that... We did try the Xurk TR but unluckily it didn't exceed the expectations and was getting outclassed by the majority of teams on the meta. I'm so glad I now have the privilege of showcasing such a marvelous pokemon on a marvelous team. This is the first time Meowstic's been ever showcased grandly on the grandest stage of them all and when the stakes are high!! So the fact you've come of your way to thank me for elevating one of your fav pokemons it means the world to me cuz you never know when you're making someone happy :) And when it comes to your RMT thoughts then I put too much endeavor onto them I feel like it's my duty to make my high peak teams look as ENTHRALLING as I can and thank you for bringing that up .

An amazing friend,

Jo

Why can I say?

Trick Room teams live and die by forward offensive momentum, and having four offensive TR setters coupled with dual screens providing extra bulk is simply brilliant.

The lack of hazards isn’t a hinderance and because of the brutal offensive nature of the team, even Toxic Spikes-Balance, normally a very solid counter to TR, doesn’t have time to rack up the damage.

Very nice work Ban dis, as always.
Thanks a whole lot for going out of your way to let me know about the brilliance of my team and to all-in-all fully describe on a short comment... Everything you said was righteous... This team's offensive prowess makes it harder for hazard stacking teams to fully use 3 layers of spikes or 2 layers of t-spikes.... and if they ever do, still I have a couple of replays in which it's been proven this team can prevail with both T-spikes as 3 layers of spikes... Plus Magearna and Mawile are steel type making the t-spikes game less destructive...

Nice team and congrats on the peak, I think the shift a while back in the meta to Pex running Haze and max SpDef consistently has made a pretty massive stumbling block to TR this gen so laddering so high can be tricky. I've got a few questions...

1) How did you find running no hazards? I know that TR certainly has the power that it does need hazards score KOs, however at the same time rocks do discourage switching - something that can really waste your TR turns if your opponent is clever about it. Did you find a lack of rocks to be a problem or not?

2) How important was countering Toxapex to your success? Pex sucks balls for TR, with Haze to remove boosts and a low speed tier in general. I've noticed that at least three mons here deal with it well, with Hoopa getting the OHKO and Victini plus Necrozma the 2HKO unboosted. Was there an idea here to overcompensate for Pex with these mons or did it come naturally?

3) How did you fare against hazard stacking teams? Without Defog or a meaningful way to prevent hazards, and with no hazards of your own, it seems like a hazard stacking team could pose a threat here (and it's something I found to be a problem on TR myself).

It certainly seems like you've got all your bases covered, with Hyperspace Fury getting through subs and protect and Meowstic giving a really defensive backbone plus deterring set-up sweepers with Yawn. I have one set suggestion that I think you should try...

Recommendation

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

All-Out Pummeling is a more threatening nuke to the things that would switch into Magearna than Twinkle Tackle (e.g. OHKOing 252 HP Heatran), and can even get an OHKO on Chansey at the +3 (which you are guaranteed to reach from full health if you CM on the switch, as you can CM twice more and then Pummel while Chansey can't 3HKO with Seismic Toss) or take 80% at +2. Pummeling and Fleur Cannon have great neutral coverage and either 190 or 195 (130 plus STAB) power being walled by only a few fire types (Tini, Blacephalon and Zard-Y) plus Pex. In terms of losing T-Bolt, it fails to 2HKO Pex anyway and a single CM boost makes Fleur Cannon deal equal damage to Twinkle Tackle - hitting water types harder than T-Bolt. It also makes your plays more consistent, as there's really no need to try and predict when you're throwing that sort of power neutral coverage power around - especiallly when you CM first.

Seems like it'd help your Chansey matchup, giving Necrozma an even easier time of sweeping. It's also another surprise on a surprising team, and as you lose so little from dropping T-Bolt but gain a lot more (self-boosting to trivially net KOes) it fits hand in glove on a TR team - but especially yours as with Light Screen and a CM boost you could potentially set TR a couple of times with Magearna. I really think you should give it a try, I posted about it in the underrated sets thread here with some replays if you wanted to see it in action,
Alright alright so first than all I want to thank you bigly for taking your time and consider to post this instructive comment... Yeah I also think fully SpD invested Pex has been tarnishing TR day in and day out.

1) How did you find running no hazards?
Getting to not use Hazard is def not a major problem for this team. I decided to go on an offensive-oriented team more than anything, not even taking that much care of any difficulty that may come next withl the ways there are to dismantle teams, this team has a feel for the game and to my personal standpoint, I don't see this team really being preoccupied by Hazard since it's main intent is the one to just straight up attack and be in an offensive mode at all cost... I don't really see teams fully setting up all 3 layers of Spikes and if it ever happens, the pokemons that are included within this team happen to be quite bulky and since Meowstic can get you inmediate Screens then it's certainly give you various chances of setting TR and touch off offense. Said that, neither Magearna nor Mawile don't mind about T-spikes, and there's little to nothing rocks can do to them, only pokemon that may be crippled the most is Victini and still it's held item Figy Berry will sort of compensate for that.

2) How important was countering Toxapex to your success?
A way I can counter Toxapex is they would most of the times switch into Pex whenever they see Victini on the battle field, so getting to just predict Pex and use a Power-Up-Punch to then blow away Toxapex with a +1 Atk Bolt Strike, it will not be sufficient at +1 but still will force it out as Victini can keep on damaging other pokemons on the shelf. Magearna fares pretty well against it too landing T-bolts. Hoopa is def a check for Toxapex. Getting back to the actual question, it's extremely important to get rid of Toxapex so that Magearna comes in and can maneuver its Twinkle Tackle gimmick. Also Victini benefits of Toxapex being fainted, so does Mega Mawile since this one set was made to deter Steel rather than Water. Wearing Toxapex out would also mean that there's a better chance to dismantle stall.

3) How did you fare against hazard stacking teams?
Replays tab.png2 Layers of Spikes + Stealth Rocks
Replays tab.png3 Layers of Spikes + Stealth Rocks
Replays tab.png2 Layers of Spikes

Thanks a ton for your Magearna set:

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

I would definitely incorporate it on the team! Makes sense since it helps bring down Chansey way easier than the previous set, what I really don't like about that set is maybe it's too much Focus Blast relyant and I detest getting to rely on Focus-miss... But all in all, def a spread to peek and eye on and actually consider if an adjustment is needed to be made or just it would be astonishing to watch replays with the team with your Magearna spread and see it bust though stall teams with ease :)

HCJB

Banned deucer.
Thanks for the detailed response!

For point 1, yeah I usually found my own TR efforts weren't too dependent on hazards, as the point of TR is the blunt force power, Still interesting to hear another perspective from a more successful player though, especially as apart from on Dual Screens HO (which I suppose this team sort of is) not running hazards is a bit of a rarity. For points 2 and 3, thanks for the insights and replays - I think they're definitely useful for others looking to make good TR plays. With all the fire power you have stacked against Pex I'm sure it deals fine, I think a huge advantage of running Meowstic is that you can have more psychic setters which threaten Pex without making yourself overly vulnerable to Greninja like most TR teams - which is a really cool design. Again, kudos!

For the Magearna set, I think the way it lures in steel types is beneficial to this team given that there is an element of psyspam and the easier you can throw that around the better (Necrozma has the coverage to deal with steels for sure, but it's still better when you don't have to). Often you only need to use a single fighting move as not too many teams stack up a lot of steel types, so the dependency on Focus Miss really isn't as bad as it seems - and CM cushions against the odd miss. Some replays are (not as high ladder as you, or I would have done an RMT):

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-791425704 - Against "OU with Semi-Stall" which peaked #6 in May. Gets an OHKO on Blissey at the +2 (the crit definitely doesn't matter).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-787728248 - A 6-0 from Magearna, luring in a Heatran, and scoring a KO Chansey that was presumably going for a PP stall.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-791472691 - A 1750+ opponent, Mimikyu dominates from turn 15 after some plays not going quite how I was expecting.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-791046587 - Showing CM Utility as Magearna tanks Magma Storm to set TR again, doubly useful on your team with Light Screen & Meowstic as mentioned.

Hope they're some use in seeing how the set works! It's one of those sets that really needs to be used in practice to see the on-paper benefits I'm talking about.

Anyway, congrats again, thanks for potentially considering the set - and I hope you go on to peak higher!

BanDisnandDatnMe, I do have one other thought. I’m looking at your threat list, and I got to wondering, have you considered Band Azurmarill in place of Mega Mawile?

While Mawile provides raw offensive power and priority, I’m not sure if its coverage provides a counter to the things already covered sufficiently by the other squadmates. Also, unfortunately, Sucker Punch can be played around with Substitutes, making things like Blacephalon mow through the team with its STABs under the right conditions. Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko resist SP and Gren can out priority with Shurikens, and Mawile has a hard time punching through Toxapex. And then, there is that ground weakness to consider if TR is down.

This guy, on the other hand:

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Pure immediate power with no set up, and often, Liquidation and Play Rough are very spammable.

———————-

What you gain by this trade:

Azurmarill provides a safe switch in to your problematic Water types like Greninja, Mega Gyarados (who’s Mold Breaker can best Necrozma) and Manaphy, as well as providing an additional Fire resist to complement Magenera.

Outside TR, it can force out Ground and Fire types with Aqua Jet, such as Landorus, Blacephalon and Magma Storm Heatran being notable targets, and threatens Tapu Koko with more reliable priority than Mawile would with Sucker Punch. While uncommon, Nidoking/queen are also problems for Magenera, which Azu can beat in or out of TR.

Then there’s Knock Off, which punishes wannabee defensive switchins like Toxapex and Ferrothorn, making them lose their Lefties and makes them easier to wear down so Magenera to sweep later.

With Knock Off, Azurmarill doesn’t make your team THAT much more vulnerable to Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Skarmory or Amoongus, and Liquidation help keeps the pressure on Mega Scizor, so the loss of Fire Fang isn’t too big of a deal.

——————-

What you lose:

You do lose that Intimidate pre Mega-Evo, but all of Mawile’s resists are still present in Magenera, and now rather than a double weakness to Fire and Ground, you resist one and force out both. Besides, it was risky switching Mawile in to Landorus or Zygarde anyway.

Azurmaril’s biggest counter defensive invite isn't all that common, Mega Venusaur, but it seems like Venus is already adequately covered by Necrozma, Hoopa and Victini. No big issue here, I can see.

Toxic Spikes becomes more of an issue, where Mawile was a steel type, and Azurmarril is not. But then again, Azurmarril beats or irritates most of the common TS users anyway.

——————-

Seems like Azu could provide some decent trade offs. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
BanDisnandDatnMe, I do have one other thought. I’m looking at your threat list, and I got to wondering, have you considered Band Azurmarill in place of Mega Mawile?While Mawile provides raw offensive power and priority, I’m not sure if its coverage provides a counter to the things already covered sufficiently by the other squadmates. Also, unfortunately, Sucker Punch can be played around with Substitutes, making things like Blacephalon mow through the team with its STABs under the right conditions. Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko resist SP and Gren can out priority with Shurikens, and Mawile has a hard time punching through Toxapex. And then, there is that ground weakness to consider if TR is down.This guy, on the other hand:Azumarill (F) @ Choice BandAbility: Huge PowerEVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDBrave NatureIVs: 0 Spe- Liquidation- Play Rough- Knock Off- Aqua JetPure immediate power with no set up, and often, Liquidation and Play Rough are very spammable.———————-What you gain by this trade:Azurmarill provides a safe switch in to your problematic Water types like Greninja, Mega Gyarados (who’s Mold Breaker can best Necrozma) and Manaphy, as well as providing an additional Fire resist to complement Magenera.Outside TR, it can force out Ground and Fire types with Aqua Jet, such as Landorus, Blacephalon and Magma Storm Heatran being notable targets, and threatens Tapu Koko with more reliable priority than Mawile would with Sucker Punch. While uncommon, Nidoking/queen are also problems for Magenera, which Azu can beat in or out of TR.Then there’s Knock Off, which punishes wannabee defensive switchins like Toxapex and Ferrothorn, making them lose their Lefties and makes them easier to wear down so Magenera to sweep later.With Knock Off, Azurmarill doesn’t make your team THAT much more vulnerable to Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Skarmory or Amoongus, and Liquidation help keeps the pressure on Mega Scizor, so the loss of Fire Fang isn’t too big of a deal.——————-What you lose:You do lose that Intimidate pre Mega-Evo, but all of Mawile’s resists are still present in Magenera, and now rather than a double weakness to Fire and Ground, you resist one and force out both. Besides, it was risky switching Mawile in to Landorus or Zygarde anyway.Azurmaril’s biggest counter defensive invite isn't all that common, Mega Venusaur, but it seems like Venus is already adequately covered by Necrozma, Hoopa and Victini. No big issue here, I can see.Toxic Spikes becomes more of an issue, where Mawile was a steel type, and Azurmarril is not. But then again, Azurmarril beats or irritates most of the common TS users anyway.——————-Seems like Azu could provide some decent trade offs. What are your thoughts?
Thanks a whole lot for checking the threat list and find out about this team appreciating Banded Azumarill. Right after your recommendation, I got to ladder myself and tested a Sitrus Berry Trick Room edition of Azumarill. The set goes like this:
Azumarill_XY.gif

Azumarill
Bag_Sitrus_Berry_Sprite.png

Berries.png
Sitrus Berry
Huge Power
evs atk.png
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

Nature RH.png
Brave (+Atk, -Spe)
ivs egg 4.png
0 Spe
20px-Water-attack.png
Aqua Jet
20px-Fairy-attack.png
Play Rough
Belly Drum
20px-Darkness-attack.png
Knock Off

First off, I wanna give props to you on your Azumarill idea. Without you, a successful replacement for Mega Mawile could've never been made. I truly believe Azumarill both Sitrus Berry as Choice Banded can apportion this team too many good stuff! :) So thanks for bringing that up and making the call, now an imposing pokemon can be certainly added to the DUAL SCREENS TRICK ROOM.

I'm gonna edit the RMT and portray Azumarill as a plausible replacement for Mega Mawile. Thank you buddy n_n

Note:
- Azumarill makes the team less vulnerable to Ground but worsens the Toxic Spikes issues the team is already dealing with.

Attachments

Ah good deal!

After I posted, it occurred to me a Azurmarril Belly Drum set up variant could also mesh with Meowstick’s double screens very nicely. I’d love to see some replays.

Glad I could help. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)